• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

SesX6j3.jpg

Teslagrad Vita - Puzzle platformer. Runs well on Vita. Cleaver puzzling with a good difficulty curve. Great art and style. Little too open for me which leads to me getting lost. Lots of fun.

VdiyFFk.jpg

Super Meat Boy Vita - Only played the Flash game 5 years ago. Good Vita port. Lots of fun but it got to a point of difficulty where I am done with it a little too fast.

WSZ02D3.jpg

Ether One PS4 - This is Myst for dumb people. Every puzzle is look around for something that makes it obvious to go forward. I didn't even understand what was going on in the plot which might have made want to keep going. Memories of dead people or something?? Nope.

I got a part 3 coming.

RK128

Teslagrad was a game I really enjoyed my time with :). Similar to my experience with Fez, I loved playing the game but got to a point where I was lost and never bothered to go back and finish things up. Considering how much I enjoyed my time with the game though, I don't mind that too much :).

Super Meat Boy was good but the difficulty and controls felt 'off' to me (not bad 'off' like Super Time Force Vita, but just a bit odd at points) so I enjoy that game in short bursts every once and a while. Still a good game and glad I got it with PS+ :).

Teslagrad was a game I really enjoyed my time with :). Similar to my experience with Fez, I loved playing the game but got to a point where I was lost and never bothered to go back and finish things up.

Yeah it has the same problem as Stealth Inc. 2 where they try to connect puzzle rooms together in one world where it might have been better just doing a traditional stage select.

RK128

Yeah it has the same problem as Stealth Inc. 2 where they try to connect puzzle rooms together in one world where it might have been better just doing a traditional stage select.

Might go back to it in the future but a proper map system on the top-right corner of the screen would really help make exploring easier.

Otherwise, solid game and while not perfect, looks fantastic, feels great to play and overall a nice game to play :).

Thought the Vita Gaffers would like this...

Looks the Asian Vita version for Cyber Sleuth is getting a physical release! (Sorry if if this is old news.)

RESULT!

Please with that. Will place my pre-order when I get home. I'd like to support it coming to Europe but I'd rather have a physical copy.

Crows Burning Edge (trademarked in west).

Source? I seem to remember them trademarking "Burning Blood" which turned out to be One Piece.

I highly, highly doubt Crows will come to the west.

You guys are missing so much ignoring God Eater.

They're really not, lol. If you're a fan of hunting games it's one of the better ones, but if you've never really liked them it won't change your mind. I've played Freedom Wars; God Eater Burst; MonHun Freedom Unite & Soul Sacrifice and can safely say that Soul Sacrifice is the only one I got any enjoyment from.

I see a good chance that VGP will have Digimon if we ask nicely, so I'd wait with the pre-orders. Bamco Asia are the best, but now I don't know which version to get.

Posted this question in the NHL16 thread but I am posting it here as well since it might give me better answers from casual players.

I am considering buying NHL16 for 24$ in the PSN Store. Is it worth the money for a casual player with no interest whatsoever in online play? If I buy this I probably wont buy another NHL game for at least 2 years, I dont care about who is who in the teams since I dont care about real world ice hockey at all., I am only interested in playing video game ice hockey.

I have this 20% off code that I want to use and currently NHL seems to be the only interesting game on sale in the store. I dont really care for Tearaway (waiting for PS+ free) and neither for Dark Souls 2 yet.

18-Volt

Source? I seem to remember them trademarking "Burning Blood" which turned out to be One Piece.

I highly, highly doubt Crows will come to the west.

Ouch. I thought that was actually about Crows. Still there is a chance, it's a manga only franchise, there are no anime license crap preventing them. It's a simple beat em up game, easy to localize. I hope Namco's aware of how much us western people want some quality beat em up. We do, right?

Ouch. I thought that was actually about Crows. Still there is a chance, it's a manga only franchise, there are no anime license crap preventing them. It's a simple beat em up game, easy to localize. I hope Namco's aware of how much us western people want some quality beat em up. We do, right?

I'd definitely buy it if it came west, it just doesn't seem likely - I don't think it has a great deal of popularity over here.

Depends on the scope of the game I guess.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
SesX6j3.jpg

Teslagrad Vita - Puzzle platformer. Runs well on Vita. Cleaver puzzling with a good difficulty curve. Great art and style. Little too open for me which leads to me getting lost. Lots of fun.

VdiyFFk.jpg

Super Meat Boy Vita - Only played the Flash game 5 years ago. Good Vita port. Lots of fun but it got to a point of difficulty where I am done with it a little too fast.

WSZ02D3.jpg

Ether One PS4 - This is Myst for dumb people. Every puzzle is look around for something that makes it obvious to go forward. I didn't even understand what was going on in the plot which might have made want to keep going. Memories of dead people or something?? Nope.

I got a part 3 coming.
Did you even get past the first stage of Ether One? That game is fucking hard, dude. And irtually all the puzzles past the first level are the opposite of obvious. I gave up because the game was so damn confusing. The first level was great. Beyond that every puzzle was way too complex for my liking.

It really sounds like you didn't actually bother with the puzzles, and all you did was progress the story by collecting the things. Even in the first level the puzzles aren't easy to solve, though unlike future levels they're actually reasonable.

Did you even get past the first stage of Ether One? That game is fucking hard, dude. And irtually all the puzzles past the first level are the opposite of obvious. I gave up because the game was so damn confusing. The first level was great. Beyond that every puzzle was way too complex for my liking.

It really sounds like you didn't actually bother with the puzzles, and all you did was progress the story by collecting the things. Even in the first level the puzzles aren't easy to solve, though unlike future levels they're actually reasonable.

No I didn't get very far in the game. Interesting that get hard tho. The plot didn't interest me so I gave it up after a couple of hours.

T-Rex.

Banned
PSPGAF how scary/good is Corpse Party (PSP)? I have some spare money on my PSN account and since there's nothing I want too bad at the moment, I'm looking at getting Corpse Party. I know it's gory, but that doesn't really bother me or scare me in the slightest. Is it worth picking up?

I watched the first episode of the OVA the other day and quite liked it, although didn't really find it scary.

zKImDOT.jpg

Escape Goat 2 PS4 - Seems puzzle platformers either have good art/story/music or they have good puzzles but rarely both. This is much better at the puzzling. Needs help in the art and the music department. Some unique mechanics that keep it interesting. Fun short and easy.

xfMbIl9.jpg

The Treasures of Montezuma 4 Vita - By far the best version of this match 3 game. They ditched all the free to play nonsense. Lots of variety. Good value for $5.

3gs5QrA.jpg

Starwhal PS4 - Multiplayer focused game that I played single player. No fun with singleplayer as the objective based game was boring of getting to objects in a certain time. Playing against the AI in the multiplayer game and was not fun either. Found the controls frustrating. Nope.

One more coming.

Xenoflare

PSPGAF how scary/good is Corpse Party (PSP)? I have some spare money on my PSN account and since there's nothing I want too bad at the moment, I'm looking at getting Corpse Party. I know it's gory, but that doesn't really bother me or scare me in the slightest. Is it worth picking up?

I watched the first episode of the OVA the other day and quite liked it, although didn't really find it scary.

The anime is a bit weird, it's much gorier than the game simply because you get an actual anime instead of little sprites, but the game is more atmospheric. The anime is almost like Saw in terms of how quick the characters die.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but Corpse Party is a spooky game and you kinda have to work for it to obtain the true ending, I'd say get it.

Gahh I just saw some footage of EITR online again. I had totally forgotten about this game. I think this and Salt and Sanctuary are exactly what I have been wanting to play for a good while.

German GAF, what's the best place to buy PSN cards (20€) for German PS Store? I tried Amazon.de, and since I'm shopping from outside EU, they want me to give them my passport number, and that complicates stuff too much (I use German billing address, but my card is registered in non-EU country).

Edit: nevermind, found some codes from G2A on German eBay.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not super scary, but it definitely hit some good creepy notes at times. I'm waiting for a sale on the second one, though. They both went on sale a couple months ago for $10 each (which is when I got the first one), and I have a hard time justifying paying full price with all the other games I have in my backlog I can play in the meantime.

Posted this question in the NHL16 thread but I am posting it here as well since it might give me better answers from casual players.

I am considering buying NHL16 for 24$ in the PSN Store. Is it worth the money for a casual player with no interest whatsoever in online play? If I buy this I probably wont buy another NHL game for at least 2 years, I dont care about who is who in the teams since I dont care about real world ice hockey at all., I am only interested in playing video game ice hockey.

I have this 20% off code that I want to use and currently NHL seems to be the only interesting game on sale in the store. I dont really care for Tearaway (waiting for PS+ free) and neither for Dark Souls 2 yet.

I have admittedly not played it, but what I saw of my brother playing it the other day was pretty cool. I haven't played video game hockey since the original PS1, and this made me kind of want to pick it up. It's got this really cool mode where you create a player, start them out in the minors, get them drafted in the NHL, and just generally take them through their whole career. What made it interesting is that that's the only character you control. You have line changes so you only actually play the parts of the game your character plays, when you come off the ice, the coach gives you advice for how to play better, you get assigned zone or man defenses, and so on, like you are an actual, single profession hockey player. For all I know, this has been a thing for years, but like I said, haven't played in over a decade, so the concept was pretty novel to me and looked pretty fun.

So I recently migrated from a 16gb memory card to a 32gb card on my Japanese Vita, but the new card has been giving me problems.

Content Manager on the Vita claims I have 15gb in "System Use" and attempts to poll how much space some games are using take a long time and eventually report a wildly inaccurate result. This is most notable for Project DIVA F 2nd, which reports a use of just over 800mb when I know there's at least 2gb of content there (and going into details does indeed list each individual DLC and its size; only the total is off). I've already done a database rebuild some time ago to try to fix some hanging issues I was having in PSO2 (which I eventually hopefully resolved by just deleting and redownloading it from PSN).

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here and what I should be doing to fix this? Hopefully it's not a bad card; I'm well beyond the timeframe where I can request a replacement from Amazon.

Zhao_Yun

I see a good chance that VGP will have Digimon if we ask nicely, so I'd wait with the pre-orders. Bamco Asia are the best, but now I don't know which version to get.

Same here. I was already prepared to buy the PS4 Version for the physical box and 60fps but now I am not sure anymore...

So I recently migrated from a 16gb memory card to a 32gb card on my Japanese Vita, but the new card has been giving me problems.

Content Manager on the Vita claims I have 15gb in "System Use" and attempts to poll how much space some games are using take a long time and eventually report a wildly inaccurate result. This is most notable for Project DIVA F 2nd, which reports a use of just over 800mb when I know there's at least 2gb of content there (and going into details does indeed list each individual DLC and its size; only the total is off). I've already done a database rebuild some time ago to try to fix some hanging issues I was having in PSO2 (which I eventually hopefully resolved by just deleting and redownloading it from PSN).

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here and what I should be doing to fix this? Hopefully it's not a bad card; I'm well beyond the timeframe where I can request a replacement from Amazon.

I was having some issues with my 64 gig card, where it was refusing to access certain data on the card. Eventually I just backed up what I cared about and did a full reformat and restore to default settings, and that seems to have fixed it, knock on wood.

Usually bad cards stop working, I've yet to hear of one just fucking with your filesizes.

As for how to fix it, short of formatting and refilling it there's not much you can do once you've done a database rebuild - we only have so many options available for the closed system they've given us.

Prelude.

Rice Digital is selling DoA Extreme 3 so it's worth asking them too.
You can always cancel your PA pre-order if it pops up somewhere cheaper.

Usually bad cards stop working, I've yet to hear of one just fucking with your filesizes.

As for how to fix it, short of formatting and refilling it there's not much you can do once you've done a database rebuild - we only have so many options available for the closed system they've given us.

Well, I did do the database rebuild because of the PSO2 issues - it was having problems where it would stop network communication unexpectedly then eventually hardlock the Vita; had to long-press power and face buttons every time to get it back, and had to set the clock turning it back on from that state. I'm not sure if data was somehow corrupt in me attempting to convert a retail bubble into a digital bubble (PSO2 had outgrown my previous 16gb card and I used the retail game for a while) or if there is genuinely a data access issue on this new card.

Houndi101

How come it's saying that the Network is under maintenance but the status page says everything should be online?

Euro PSN that is

Well, I did do the database rebuild because of the PSO2 issues - it was having problems where it would stop network communication unexpectedly then eventually hardlock the Vita; had to long-press power and face buttons every time to get it back, and had to set the clock turning it back on from that state. I'm not sure if data was somehow corrupt in me attempting to convert a retail bubble into a digital bubble (PSO2 had outgrown my previous 16gb card and I used the retail game for a while) or if there is genuinely a data access issue on this new card.

Honestly, if it was me I'd just sync everything to PC, format and restore the Vita to factory settings, and sync it all back (using the individual backup method btw, not that full backup garbage).

You could have orphaned data that the system doesn't know how to deal with from that conversion.

Shizuka

I'm still at the hospital, but for those keeping up with limited Vita releases, there are three in January:

- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus (NISA Store exclusive);
- Saturday Morning RPG (Limited Run Games exclusive);
- Deemo: The Last Recital (Asia exclusive).

Benedict

Just tried to log in on PSN on my PS3 and I can't.
PSN seems to have some problems in EU at least.
After a couple of tries it said I had to get a new password....
Don't know what to make of that...

VLiberty

I'm really starting to worry about Not a hero Vita; the port studio says that they are only working on the PS4 and Android version. I didn't even know it was coming to Android.
I've contacted both them and Devolver(publisher) and none replied to me. I'll try to contact Roll7 as well...

Farewell OLED, it was nice knowing you.

zzNu0Dfl.jpg

Guess I'll use my Target gift cards from graduation/Christmas to get a Vita 2000...

I'm also glad Sony extended the PSM activation period.

RK128

zzNu0Dfl.jpg

Guess I'll use my Target gift cards from graduation/Christmas to get a Vita 2000...

O_O!

What the heck happened :(?

Did you drop it? Or did the screen just die out on you :(?

I never use max brightness due to knowing how badly that damages the OLED screen over time but looking at a dead Vita 1000 is....really sad :'(.

Powwa

I'm glad we'll have a physical release for Digimon, pre-ordering that one for sure! Only thing I don't like is this new Play-Asia import tax on Vita games. Why is it 50 USD, and is there any other cheaper options for importing fellow gaffers?

O_O!

What the heck happened :(?

Did you drop it? Or did the screen just die out on you :(?

I never use max brightness due to knowing how badly that damages the OLED screen over time but looking at a dead Vita 1000 is....really sad :'(.

Due to an unfortunate accident involving a mechanical chair at the dentist it managed to get a couple of hairline cracks in the screen (even through my HORI face cover!), which was apparently enough to cause that. The 64GB memory card is totally fine, though.

RK128

Due to an unfortunate accident involving a mechanical chair at the dentist it managed to get a couple of hairline cracks in the screen (even through my HORI face cover!), which was apparently enough to cause that. The 64GB memory card is totally fine, though.

I'm sorry man :(. Good that your memory card is okay and that you have gift cards you can put towards a new Vita.

Massa

zzNu0Dfl.jpg

Got bad news for you. You can't activate new devices on PSM, just games on previously activated devices.

Weird and a bit sad, if my guess that they have surplus stock is correct.

I wouldn't say that, they went temporarily out of stock really fast after dropping the price to $20. Unless you mean they have a surplus stock of calendars, which is quite possible.

Got bad news for you. You can't activate new devices on PSM, just games on previously activated devices.

My email clearly says it's a "new device activation method and implementation period". I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Shizuka

I wouldn't say that, they went temporarily out of stock really fast after dropping the price to $20. Unless you mean they have a surplus stock of calendars, which is quite possible.

If you take into account that they dropped the price by 50% in a few months after launch, I'm not sure. Making a limited edition five months after release and a big sale like that doesn't sound smart.

Top Bottom