• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

wouwie

The coming weeks will cost me a lot of money since there is so much coming out on PSN that i'm looking forward to: Life is strange episode 4, The Fall, The vanishing of Ethan Carter, Trials Fusion DLC (which i might skip depending on how the unicorn riding turns out to be), Journey (which will be free because i bought it on PS3), Tembo the badass elephant, King's Quest and The Swindle. Then in august it's Everybody gone to the rapture and Volume. Also, the adventures of Pip seems getting closer to release too.

This is going to be an awesome month for PSN titles.

VLiberty

So.

I just finished The Order 1886. In all my years gaming, I have never seen such an unfair treatment of a game by gaming journalists. [Don't get me wrong, it's okay to dislike a game and say so... but 20s? 50s? That's for broken carcasses of games and The Order is not that... The fact that it's got a lower metacritic than something like the short, broken, unfinished, budget feeling Homefront, or the bot trainwreck that was Brink, or plenty of other truly broken games, is absurd. ]

Anyway. I really enjoyed it. Solid mechanics, solid story, solid characters [and I usually hate game plots]. Some QTE during cutscenes, but nothing major and plenty of other games do that (including well loved franchises).

I have no idea how some people beat it as quickly as they claim; perhaps on easy, or something... hard presents quite a challenge at times, especially in later missions. Lengthwise it didn't seem particularly shorter than a CoD or Uncharted, etc. Perhaps it was, but again, it didn't feel much shorter than, say, CoD Ghosts, which I just finished (although obviously that has online if you want it).

Very glad I gave it a chance.

We all should be aware by now that game reviews aren't mainly a measure of quality anymore.

Prelude.

dont see anything on mobile

First I saw Dragon Quest VIII, then I reloaded and saw a PlayStation 4
Reload more.
14366380591878ypka.jpg

Massa

So.

I just finished The Order 1886. In all my years gaming, I have never seen such an unfair treatment of a game by gaming journalists. [Don't get me wrong, it's okay to dislike a game and say so... but 20s? 50s? That's for broken carcasses of games and The Order is not that... The fact that it's got a lower metacritic than something like the short, broken, unfinished, budget feeling Homefront, or the bot trainwreck that was Brink, or plenty of other truly broken games, is absurd. ]

Anyway. I really enjoyed it. Solid mechanics, solid story, solid characters [and I usually hate game plots]. Some QTE during cutscenes, but nothing major and plenty of other games do that (including well loved franchises).

I have no idea how some people beat it as quickly as they claim; perhaps on easy, or something... hard presents quite a challenge at times, especially in later missions. Lengthwise it didn't seem particularly shorter than a CoD or Uncharted, etc. Perhaps it was, but again, it didn't feel much shorter than, say, CoD Ghosts, which I just finished (although obviously that has online if you want it).

I agree, thought it was a fun game. The encounters were pretty simple but the shooting was so well tuned that it was a joy to play.

Unfortunately the internet turned against that game early on due to extremely poor PR.

Kudo

surprised that's even a thing
sales were pretty poor for the first game iirc according to media create

must've sold enough here to warrant a sequel I guess

Currently enjoying the japanese version of the first game so this is happy news. I can see advert.

PSP version sold 17.855 and PSV 16.415 on Media Create, maybe they just didn't have that big expectations for it.
Anyway, probably better not to talk about this here as it was censored in West thus banned here, I apologize if someone got offended by my reply.

SerTapTap

OP is still missing Onechanbara's release date, and also TEmbo the Badass Elephant, both July 21st PS4. Also Catsblock (released) for Vita

Hikami

^Missing the release date for Sword Art Online Re:Hollow Fragment (July 28th) while we're at it.

and speaking of that, I ended up watching bamco's anime expo thing since someone recorded it and put it on youtube. The SAO PSN bundle thing goes up when Re:HF comes out they said.

(bundle is pre-order Lost Song PS4 on PSN and you get Re:HF for free.)

Tohsaka

I might end up re-buying Hollow Fragment if it's 60FPS on PS4. I really liked the Vita version, the framerate was shit though.

So.

Let me ask this: did you buy the title at launch or with a deep discount. I bought it at launch after being on the fence but then more people from this community said everyone was wrong and the game is great and definitely not 8 hours and I bought into it and preordered digitally (yes, I know both preorder and digital is usually a bad idea here but I like going all digital this generation). Did I enjoy my time with the game? Yes. Did I find the game criminally short? Yes, especially when you consider half the game time is cutscenes and QTE battles.
The fact that the endgame boss fight is almost exactly the midgame boss fight is pretty insulting too.
If it wasnt for the fact that I spent so long walking so slowly trying to find everything (which I still missed stuff and there is no way to know what I missed in each chapter, forcing me to do a second playthrough to get it all), I would have finished in roughly 8 hours on the hardest difficulty. Is it worth spending $60 on? Not a chance. Is it worth getting when its discounted (like $30 or under)? Most definitely, if you can deal with the disappointment that the franchise is not happening.

As for difficulty: the problem is that its old school monster closet in that its just waves and waves of enemies and you have a brain dead AI with you OR, going into the final mission, you are so outnumbered to the point its almost unfair THOUGH you get crazy weapons to try and even the odds. Really, outside of one instance toward the beginning of the game (around the same time I believe that the runup-to-launch gameplay took place), the stupid werewolf fights and the aforementioned room right by the game end, hard was nothing. Its typical cover shooter flair where you might get a bad break and have to respawn, but its nothing too much that would drastically affect your game time.

surprised that's even a thing
sales were pretty poor for the first game iirc according to media create

must've sold enough here to warrant a sequel I guess

I have to assume these games are budgeted such that even selling in the 10-25k range would be a success. Not the same genre or as same level fanservice wise is Demon Gaze which I remember the publisher being shocked it sold more than 25k (or maybe it was 50k?). That would imply to me that the budget was below $1m for a game like Demon Gaze and probably similar for the banned game in question. If a game like Dragon's Crown cost $1.5m (or less) to make, I have to imagine these titles are at most hitting that level and more than likely well below $1m to produce. Or I could just be making a wild assumption that no companies are spending millions on games that only sell 15k.

RK128

Pretty sure it is, the trailers they've shown for it has it running at 60fps

actually here's actually a gameplay video showing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfiJ3hdRdVY

It got quite the upgrade; the PS4 version has some cell-shading and the colors are a lot more vibrant. Even the character's hair is animated now, and the effects are a lot more 'flashy' now.

Impressive that they made this port look nicer then the Vita version :D; granted, the PS4 should have let the game get quite the upgrade but still, nice to see that being the case.

The 60FPS and higher resolution should do wonders in making the game feel better to play.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
It got quite the upgrade; the PS4 version has some cell-shading and the colors are a lot more vibrant. Even the character's hair is animated now, and the effects are a lot more 'flashy' now.

Impressive that they made this port look nicer then the Vita version :D; granted, the PS4 should have let the game get quite the upgrade but still, nice to see that being the case.

The 60FPS and higher resolution should do wonders in making the game feel better to play.
What

How is this quite an update and where is cell-shading? More color vibrant? Huh? Where? Not a resolution bump? The hair isn't any more animated than it was on Vita.

Bandai namco hasn't mentioned its 60fps otherwise they would have been saying all over the place.

RK128

What

How is this quite an update and where is cell-shading? More color vibrant? Huh? Where? Not a resolution bump? The hair isn't any more animated than it was on Vita.

Bandai namco hasn't mentioned its 60fps otherwise they would have been saying all over the place.

It looks nice then the Vita version to me at least, but I haven't played the game in a few months, so sorry if I'm wrong about anything :l.

The 60FPS does look a bit rocky (as the frame rate drops a few times in that video). The game looks 'cleaner' then the Vita version, but is to be expected (due to the game being up-rezzed to 720p/1080p).

The color does look a bit more colorful to me and there is some shading to the characters (at least on the level that Lost Song got).

Again, sorry if I got anything wrong :l.

Hikami

What

there's no need to be so aggressive

The game did get a visual update. Though to what extent.. we don't really know yet.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
It looks nice then the Vita version to me at least, but I haven't played the game in a few months, so sorry if I'm wrong about anything :l.

The 60FPS does look a bit rocky (as the frame rate drops a few times in that video). The game looks 'cleaner' then the Vita version, but is to be expected (due to the game being up-rezzed to 720p/1080p).

The color does look a bit more colorful to me and there is some shading to the characters (at least on the level that Lost Song got).

Again, sorry if I got anything wrong :l.
It is in higher resolution so there's obviously more color?

Long Song is a different game... not sure what you mean.

RK128

there's no need to be so aggressive

The game did get a visual update. Though to what extent.. we don't really know yet.

Judging from that gameplay video....the changes seem to be the following:
-Character models have a bit of 'cell-shading' to them (that picture comparison is a good example in proving that; the characters mirror their anime appearances a bit more)
-The water-textures are much better, judging from the pictures you posted
-Wall/ground textures got touched up, but it still shows the games PSP origins like they did on Vita
-There is a lot more NPC's roaming in the fields in comparison to the Vita version (or at least it seems that way)
-And a personal expectation; the Alicard sections will get touched up but still look similar to the Vita version, while the Hallow Area sections will get the most 'upgrades' due to that being Vita-built content instead of PSP-built content.

It is in higher resolution so there's obviously more color?

Long Song is a different game... not sure what you mean.

Lost Song has the characters mirroring the anime look a lot more, as the PS3 version of Lost Song has a 'shading' effect on the character models. That is what I am talking about with the character models in Re: Hallow Fragment.

Edit: Here is an example of that:
SAO-LS_12-26-14.jpg

NISA are cool people

Heh, weird. They've been heckled both on Twitter and on their forums about this and they always seem to respond with "we have no plans". Now, out of the blue, it's compatible.

Pretty cool. I'm planning on using a PSTV to future-proof most of my library. Hoping they'll get DanganRonpa 1 compatible in EU next.

Reload more.
14366380591878ypka.jpg

Lol. Explains why they ported it at least.

Wonder who's developing this time.

edit: And yeah, I got it when reloading the page a couple of times, so seems it is legit.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Lost Song has the characters mirroring the anime look a lot more, as the PS3 version of Lost Song has a 'shading' effect on the character models. That is what I am talking about with the character models in Re: Hallow Fragment.
They are completely two different games running on different engines and made by different developers that have nothing to do with each other. There is nothing to compare.

RK128

They are completely two different games running on different engines and made by different developers that have nothing to do with each other. There is nothing to compare.

I guess this conversation is over then :l. Sorry to have bothered you or anything. I just figured that considering they are part of the same franchise, but you make a good point; both come from different developers so any similarity's are moot.

SerTapTap

Saw some screens of Digimon and I'm even more hyped now, I forgot Digimon likes to go all in with the digital/glitch aesthetic, I LOVE that stuff. Big part of why I love .Hack and Neptunia.
where the fuck is .hack PS4

I'm mildly amused by pigeon sim and slightly intrigued by the claims there's more to it but I'm not sure I'm up to playing a dating sim to find out. Especially with pigeons. You can't actually play the game with the gijinkas, can you?

NISA are cool people

Good on them, one of the more annoying omissions for me because a disgaea game basically justifies a console, especially a $40 one

Take note, IFI.
There's no reason NepReb1 shouldn't be compatible. They shouldn't even need to patch the game.

My thought exactly, not sure what the deal is. But in general Sony needs to be the one who fixes this, they need to make it as easy as possible and reach out to everyone with a not compatible game and make this right if they're not going to let people disable the blacklist. This is the most frustrating part of the PS TV because it really shouldn't have to be like this.

RK128

Saw some screens of Digimon and I'm even more hyped now, I forgot Digimon likes to go all in with the digital/glitch aesthetic, I LOVE that stuff. Big part of why I love .Hack and Neptunia.
where the fuck is .hack PS4

I'm mildly amused by pigeon sim and slightly intrigued by the claims there's more to it but I'm not sure I'm up to playing a dating sim to find out. Especially with pigeons. You can't actually play the game with the gijinkas, can you?

Good on them, one of the more annoying omissions for me because a disgaea game basically justifies a console, especially a $40 one

My thought exactly, not sure what the deal is. But in general Sony needs to be the one who fixes this, they need to make it as easy as possible and reach out to everyone with a not compatible game and make this right if they're not going to let people disable the blacklist. This is the most frustrating part of the PS TV because it really shouldn't have to be like this.

If you like how Digimon CS looks, then you will love its soundtrack :D! Its a great mix of Jazz and Techno, leading to it having a unique feel :).

Here is a link to it and I personally really enjoy it :D. Been listening to it since the games localization got announced and it rocks.

Good to see more games get PS TV compatible; the more games coming to the thing leads to it having more value :).

Sony needs to just 'open' it up to all the Vita's library. If a game works, great. If a game doesn't work, fix it latter on.

autoduelist

I agree, thought it was a fun game. The encounters were pretty simple but the shooting was so well tuned that it was a joy to play.

Unfortunately the internet turned against that game early on due to extremely poor PR.

I 'get' that the internet turned against it. I just think actual reviewers should have some semblance of understanding that their judgements can cause people to lose jobs or entire devs to be shut down. Plenty of sites gave The Order far lower reviews than straight up broken games, 'budget' feeling games, shorter games...

Some games just get wrecked. The first (recent) Medal of Honor received a mostly unwarranted reviewer drudging as well. Meanwhile, crappy broken games regularly get 70's, etc.

Let me ask this: did you buy the title at launch or with a deep discount. I bought it at launch after being on the fence but then more people from this community said everyone was wrong and the game is great and definitely not 8 hours and I bought into it and preordered digitally (yes, I know both preorder and digital is usually a bad idea here but I like going all digital this generation). Did I enjoy my time with the game? Yes. Did I find the game criminally short? Yes, especially when you consider half the game time is cutscenes and QTE battles.
The fact that the endgame boss fight is almost exactly the midgame boss fight is pretty insulting too.
If it wasnt for the fact that I spent so long walking so slowly trying to find everything (which I still missed stuff and there is no way to know what I missed in each chapter, forcing me to do a second playthrough to get it all), I would have finished in roughly 8 hours on the hardest difficulty. Is it worth spending $60 on? Not a chance. Is it worth getting when its discounted (like $30 or under)? Most definitely, if you can deal with the disappointment that the franchise is not happening.

As for difficulty: the problem is that its old school monster closet in that its just waves and waves of enemies and you have a brain dead AI with you OR, going into the final mission, you are so outnumbered to the point its almost unfair THOUGH you get crazy weapons to try and even the odds. Really, outside of one instance toward the beginning of the game (around the same time I believe that the runup-to-launch gameplay took place), the stupid werewolf fights and the aforementioned room right by the game end, hard was nothing. Its typical cover shooter flair where you might get a bad break and have to respawn, but its nothing too much that would drastically affect your game time.

I bought it for $20. And yes, of course, that's better than buying it for $60, but that's true of all games, even great ones.

'Waves of monsters' doesn't bother me. That's what I'm paying for -- solid combat mechanics, repeated, with new weapons introduced over time. That's how every fps and tps works. Some (like CoD) switch it up with some helicoptor or 'rain of fire' type missions, but in general... wave after wave of enemies, because killing enemies is the main 'gameplay'. Give me interesting weapons and I'm happy, which The Order has (especially the very unique fuel/flare weapon).

You're right the mid / end boss was essentially similar.
I guess, what, they could have changed that up some, but plenty of games are forgiven for less than stellar boss battles (Dues Ex and Uncharted, for example).

Certainly, a few things could be fleshed out more. I suppose they could have added on some skill tree rpg stuff, because most people [including me] like that sort of thing, and they could have had more enemy variety... but what they did have was really well done.

Ultimately, I don't mind if people dislike the game. There will be people that dislike every game. I just find the reviewer treatment absolutely unprofessional, acting as if the game, which had solid mechanics, was worse than many well-reviewed trainwrecks that get forgiven for far worse issues.

As for the $60 vs. $20 issue... I have a hard time with this. If you are a reviewer, i personally believe you need to acknowledge that people will be looking at your review months or even years after release, when the price is no longer $60. Imagine if some beloved game (Uncharted 2, TLOU, final fantasy tactics, whatever your favorite game is) released at $100 instead of $60... does that mean it should get 1/10s because it's not worth the price, even though the game will eventually be on sale for $5? Or should it get the 8/9/or10/10 that the game actually is, with a footnote 'don't buy for $100! Wait for the price to come down!".

I realize that's a sticky, complicated issue. But reviews stand forever, and prices don't. Review a game's quality, and provide guidance but allow people to assess what price is right for them. as you said, you had fun with it. you'd have preferred $20, I'm sure. But it's the same game at any price.

Bowl0l

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I know we all love PSN but I think we call all admit it has serious problems. I wrote a Top 5 reasons PSN sucks article. If it is inappropriate to post here let me know and I'll kill it.
It is inappropriate to advertise your website/article and put the reasons behind a link to make money/clicks.

Grace Chen works hard to stabilize and update PS Store. What is your problem?

autoduelist

Ever since they committed to hitting 2pm PST they did a fantastic job doing so [except for the past month or two]. But they were nailing it on the money for over a year.

The sales need to be back in the blog, but they know that.

As for all the other issues, I don't have them. PSN hasn't been down when I needed it up for ages, except for the DDOS attacks which are out of their control. Speed is fine. Connectivity is great. No lag.

Blaming one person has always seemed silly to me, though it is kind of funny. Clearly their maintenance tools aren't the best, but that's true of pretty much every company I've worked for [support tools always get cut from the priority list with a promise of 'we'll do it right away' and then forever get lowered down on the priority list since 'what we have is basically working']

Top Bottom