• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

SerTapTap

This isn't entirely PS related but PS3-only last genners will know my pain.

So Tales of Vesperia is $5 on US XBLA. I have a Japanese Xbox and JP/US accounts and never got to play ToV due to only owning a PS3/Wii all gen. So I rush to the US store on my US account, set my Xbox's location to US in settings, language was always English, and download the US demo with it's English title. Start up the demo.

Everything's in Japanese.

son of a bitch

RK128

So Tales of Vesperia is $5 on US XBLA. I have a Japanese Xbox and JP/US accounts and never got to play ToV due to only owning a PS3/Wii all gen. So I rush to the US store on my US account, set my Xbox's location to US in settings, language was always English, and download the US demo with it's English title. Start up the demo.

Everything's in Japanese.

son of a bitch

Isn't the 360 region free? We all know PS platforms are but I thought that was the case for Xbox 360 too...

Maybe you got the settings wrong or the game 'sees' your system as a JP system despite you changing the location settings.

I guess I can ask these questions to see if I can help:
-Are you logged into your US account?
-Are you positive about the systems location settings?
-Did you get the wrong demo by mistake?
-Is something wrong with your 360?

I can try to help if those questions are answered TapTap :).

SerTapTap

Isn't the 360 region free? We all know PS platforms are but I thought that was the case for Xbox 360 too...

Maybe you got the settings wrong or the game 'sees' your system as a JP system despite you changing the location settings.

I guess I can ask these questions to see if I can help:
-Are you logged into your US account?
-Are you positive about the systems location settings?
-Did you get the wrong demo by mistake?
-Is something wrong with your 360?

I can try to help if those questions are answered TapTap :).

No, 360 games CAN be region free, but hardware is region coded and specific games are region locked (basically anything that released in both the US and Japan, and a few that didn't release in the US for some reason). And apparently some games use the region code of your console? I totally do get the US store with US descriptions on my US account but at least this demo auto-switches to Japanese. Only $5 but I still think I'll pass. I wasn't sure it would play at all on my console but, for a JRPG like that, this isn't much better. My 360 will stay my shmup box I guess.

All done reading Ciel. Now I can boot up the game at last.

I have a feeling I should have done this before Knell of Ar Ciel but I gave up on that anyway. I impulse bought that and DKCTF when I was sick one week

Hikami

I owned only a 360 last gen and never got Vesperia and I hate myself for it.. I tried the demo but just never bought it.
I did buy it recently though but I got rid of my slim 360 and only have the original one now and it has so many problems :I. So the game crashes and the screen freezes after like 10mins of gameplay. Don't think I'll ever get to play this game at this point.. unless bamco wants to port it to PC or something like they're doing now.

Don't know what to do about your problem though, I would've suggested changing the system language and all that but seems like you've already done it..

RK128

No, 360 games CAN be region free, but hardware is region coded and specific games are region locked (basically anything that released in both the US and Japan, and a few that didn't release in the US for some reason). And apparently some games use the region code of your console? I totally do get the US store with US descriptions on my US account but at least this demo auto-switches to Japanese. Only $5 but I still think I'll pass. I wasn't sure it would play at all on my console but, for a JRPG like that, this isn't much better. My 360 will stay my shmup box I guess.

I have a feeling I should have done this before Knell of Ar Ciel but I gave up on that anyway. I impulse bought that and DKCTF when I was sick one week

I think you should get the game while its on sale; a long JRPG is a great deal for 5 bucks :D!

If it doesn't work on your console......I don't know what to say man :(. But it wouldn't hurt getting the game and seeing if that works. For all we know, the demo is region coded but the full-game isn't.

Sorry if this doesn't help you :(.

I could see the game without getting context getting very confusing if it is as folks say, developing on the story told in Ciel. The story is super complex, and has so much going on. It pretty much ends on cliffhanger you could say, and Ar continues right from there. Im glad that I actually managed to read it all because it will definitely come in handy. Im sure I will still have to go back to the summary to recall some tidbits, but at least I wont feel like a fish out of water as I play aha.

AmanoBuff

I'm so stoked a reworked HD version of Odin Sphere is coming to the Vita. The screenshots already look glorious and it seems they are really tweaking the gameplay for the better.

I also kind of started playing God Eater (the first one on PSP) and I'm liking it even playing solo. But that only makes me wish they localize the new HD version :(

Where is this from? The animation looks slick.

I'm so stoked a reworked HD version of Odin Sphere is coming to the Vita. The screenshots already look glorious and it seems they are really tweaking the gameplay for the better.

I also kind of started playing God Eater (the first one on PSP) and I'm liking it even playing solo. But that only makes me wish they localize the new HD version :(

Where is this from? The animation looks slick.

Have faith it will happen! As for the anime, it aired last season and it was among the best stuff that was on during the winter season, it was called Hibike! Euphonium. Made by KyoAni.

Super early impressions of Ar noSurge: game looks sharp as hell. Seems to be fully voiced so far too. The gameplay is very different.

Shizuka

Damn, I know you praised this game a lot the past few days but it being on the same level as Persona 4 Golden......I was going to get this, but now I HAVE to get it this fall (want to beat a good deal of my back log first) XD!

Listened to the games OST on YouTube and is some great stuff; the battle theme is beautiful voilin piece for example.

Can't wait to try the game out later on and once I finish the summary on Ciel No Surge, I will be caught up with everything :).

The biggest shame is that it's one of those lesser-known titles that people don't give a damn. It's not like Persona 4 Golden where it's legendary or Danganronpa that exploded, Ar nosurge is a great game that people dismiss as being another Gust title, just like Atelier where they pump a new one every year, or even by being a direct sequel to something they can't play and/or don't want to read. Even Japan didn't get Ar nosurge, it's Gust's worst-selling PS3 game there (or Rorona Plus, one of those).

Vylash

The biggest shame is that it's one of those lesser-known titles that people don't give a damn. It's not like Persona 4 Golden where it's legendary or Danganronpa that exploded, Ar nosurge is a great game that people dismiss as being another Gust title, just like Atelier where they pump a new one every year, or even by being a direct sequel to something they can't play and/or don't want to read. Even Japan didn't get Ar nosurge, it's Gust's worst-selling PS3 game there (or Rorona Plus, one of those).

it's Rorona Plus, Ar nosurge moved around 33k it's first week while Rorona Plus did 17k and dropped off the charts, sucks because both games are really great

Shizuka

it's Rorona Plus, Ar nosurge moved around 33k it's first week while Rorona Plus did 17k and dropped off the charts, sucks because both games are really great

Yeah, I thought it could be Rorona Plus, but that one had a Vita release at launch, Ar nosurge went solo and bombed. Like you said, both great games, but after Shin Atelier Rorona, at least I know we won't be seeing Ar nosurge 3DS.

It hurts as it's clearly a game with a lot of passion in it, it's truly special.

Another World: 20th for Vita is garbage.

Controls are awful, puzzles are lame, and the trial and error gameplay can go F itself.

Yep. Couldn't agree more. It is the classic example of a critic darling that won't be fun for anyone who doesn't have nostolgia for it. If you go on message boards and keep mentioning some old game the worst thing that can happen is a rerelease so everybody knows that game isn't all that.

Other games:
Jet Set Radio
Okami
Flashback
Superfrog
2D Prince of Persia

Vylash

Yeah, I thought it could be Rorona Plus, but that one had a Vita release at launch, Ar nosurge went solo and bombed. Like you said, both great games, but after Shin Atelier Rorona, at least I know we won't be seeing Ar nosurge 3DS.

praise the lord

RK128

Its an interesting effect of the Vita; the Persona series may have been big on PS2 and Danganronpa may have explored when it came over.....but how did they both explode into such big IP's?

Simple: They are prominent and major PlayStation Vita franchises and series. You guys was the reason I got Persona 4 Golden and latter on, Persona 3 Portable; if I never went on Gaf or got my Vita (which again, was thanks to you guys :D), I would have never played those games.

But I did, and both stand tall as some of the most fun I had with the handheld :'). Danganronpa exploded thanks to being on Vita too, as thanks to it resonating with the Vita audience, the series got a big following in NA/EU, leading to the third game likely coming over alongside Another Episode releasing this fall.

With Ar nosurge Plus, once it hits with more people, the game will fall into a similar spot that Persona 4 Golden, Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment, Danganronpa and next year, Digimon Cyber Sleuth (and hopefully the God Eater series); games that feel at home on the console and in turn, feel special just because of their quality and how they feel so great to play on Vita :).

It'd run at 5fps, at most. It'd be a monster, I'm glad Gust realized it's not the right time to move to the 3DS.

I love my 3DS and god damn how did they even think that an ugly ass port of a game that has been released 2 times already would do anything but BOMB.

5fps? sounds like AR NO FUCKING SURGE PLUS.

Shizuka

Its an interesting effect of the Vita; the Persona series may have been big on PS2 and Danganronpa may have explored when it came over.....but how did they both explode into such big IP's?

Simple: They are prominent and major PlayStation Vita franchises and series. You guys was the reason I got Persona 4 Golden and latter on, Persona 3 Portable; if I never went on Gaf or got my Vita (which again, was thanks to you guys :D), I would have never played those games.

But I did, and both stand tall as some of the most fun I had with the handheld :'). Danganronpa exploded thanks to being on Vita too, as thanks to it resonating with the Vita audience, the series got a big following in NA/EU, leading to the third game likely coming over alongside Another Episode releasing this fall.

With Ar nosurge Plus, once it hits with more people, the game will fall into a similar spot that Persona 4 Golden, Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment, Danganronpa and next year, Digimon Cyber Sleuth (and hopefully the God Eater series); games that feel at home on the console and in turn, feel special just because of their quality and how they feel so great to play on Vita :).

I'm not sure Ar nosurge Plus will join that list since it's a late port of a PS3 game which is a sequel to a Vita game that was never localized, so... Yeah, if only the world was a better place. I'm preaching, but unfortunately it will never get the recognition I believe it deserves.

5fps? sounds like AR NO FUCKING SURGE PLEASU.

Now there we go.

I'm not sure Ar nosurge Plus will join that list since it's a late port of a PS3 game which is a sequel to a Vita game that was never localized, so... Yeah, if only the world was a better place. I'm preaching, but unfortunately it will never get the recognition I believe it deserves.

Now there we go.

What got you to care about Ar nosurge anyways?

I still remember when you didn't want to read the Ciel summary, haha.

Also, I own the Ciel OST, it's so glorious. I also need to get the Ar one.

RK128

To be fair, Persona 4 Golden while not a direct port of the PS2 game (it has ALOT more then the original PS2 release), still has origins as a PS2 game.

Same thing with Hallow Fragment (half of the game is a 'remake' of a JP online PSP game) and Danganronpa (with both 1 and 2 originally being PSP games in JP I believe).

But, they hit 'something' special when they became Vita games. Ar nosurge Plus fits into those other games like a glove. The question is whenever the game catches on with people just as much as say, Persona 4 Golden linked with people or how SAO was such a hit on Vita due to its relation to the anime.

Regardless, its great to see a another fantastic game land on the Vita :).

kunnikuman

Neo Member
To be fair, Persona 4 Golden while not a direct port of the PS2 game (it has ALOT more then the original PS2 release), still has origins as a PS2 game.

Same thing with Hallow Fragment (half of the game is a 'remake' of a JP online PSP game) and Danganronpa (with both 1 and 2 originally being PSP games in JP I believe).

But, they hit 'something' special when they became Vita games. Ar nosurge Plus fits into those other games like a glove. The question is whenever the game catches on with people just as much as say, Persona 4 Golden linked with people or how SAO was such a hit on Vita due to its relation to the anime.

Regardless, its great to see a another fantastic game land on the Vita :).
P4G is port + content
Hallow Fragement is also port + content. It's not a remake.

Reading through the Ciel Nosurge super long summary makes me really wish that it got localized as well. It's a damn good read even if you don't plan on getting into Ar Nosurge. If Ar Nosurge is even half as good as what I'm reading in the Ciel summary Vita owners should really show their support for this game.

RK128

P4G is port + content
Hallow Fragement is also port + content

Persona 4 Golden's content added a lot to the table though; new ending, new central character, completely new dungeon and two new social links that expand elements of the original's story. Nothing game changing or anything, but it added a lot to the core game to make it a stronger package. The added voice acting for social links and some story scenes did a lot as well too.

Hallow Fragment is interesting, as it might as well be two unique games blended into one package. The PSP content is was remade into looking better, having tighter mechanics and other elements to make it a better game. The original Vita content took advantage of the stronger hardware to create larger spaces to explore alongside new story content that adds to the game. A local MP option was also added to the game (though I don't know if it was originally in the PSP game) too.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Persona 4 Golden's content added a lot to the table though; new ending, new central character, completely new dungeon and two new social links that expand elements of the original's story. Nothing game changing or anything, but it added a lot to the core game to make it a stronger package. The added voice acting for social links and some story scenes did a lot as well too.

Hallow Fragment is interesting, as it might as well be two unique games blended into one package. The PSP content is was remade into looking better, having tighter mechanics and other elements to make it a better game. The original Vita content took advantage of the stronger hardware to create larger spaces to explore alongside new story content that adds to the game. A local MP option was also added to the game (though I don't know if it was originally in the PSP game) too.
Isn't that what I said? Port + new content
And Hollow Fragement is still half PSP port and half new content.

New Otome? VN by D3 Publisher

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/21083865.html

http://www.d3p.co.jp/believer/
cover_tb.jpg

AmanoBuff

Have faith it will happen! As for the anime, it aired last season and it was among the best stuff that was on during the winter season, it was called Hibike! Euphonium. Made by KyoAni.

Super early impressions of Ar noSurge: game looks sharp as hell. Seems to be fully voiced so far too. The gameplay is very different.

Thanks for the answer. I am free tomorrow and I'm planning on watching the whole season in one go. I had no idea it was from KyoAni. Their shows are always solid.

SerTapTap

So many games dropping today, jumping back into Journey as soon as I'm off work. Hope it feels as improved as Flower did.

I owned only a 360 last gen and never got Vesperia and I hate myself for it.. I tried the demo but just never bought it.
I did buy it recently though but I got rid of my slim 360 and only have the original one now and it has so many problems :I. So the game crashes and the screen freezes after like 10mins of gameplay. Don't think I'll ever get to play this game at this point.. unless bamco wants to port it to PC or something like they're doing now.

Don't know what to do about your problem though, I would've suggested changing the system language and all that but seems like you've already done it..

I'll probably just have to buy an English 360 slim at some point. I can play my region-free Japanese games in it too, since the JApanese one worries me (I think 360s are just naturally loud but since it's Japanese and also a limited edition it's a pain to fix/replace, though MS assured me they would fix and return me a Japanese console of same model if I ever sent it in)

VLiberty

Once again, I managed to snag a yearly ps+ sub for less than 50€, though I've paid a bit more than the past years (42€ vs 37/36/37€)

It's still early(my PS+ runs out in September) but that was the cheapest I found ever since the PS4 launch, except for an Amazon sale last year.... :/

Saphirax

Spike Chunsoft is going to announce a new RPG next week. Also, Dengeki Playstation will apparently have many unannounced titles in the next issue.

There's a demo for Tembo the Badass Elephant if anyone is curious how Game Freak's PS4/Xbone/PC debut turned out.

I kinda dig it. Looks greats, kinda feels like a good Sonic game. There's a lot of adorable little touches too, like the squeaky screams of the enemies or Tembo downing a jar of peanut butter when you use a new life.

SerTapTap

Since embargo is over, has anyone with an early or Japanese copy of Onechanbara Z2 gotten past the castle thing (I think it's chapter 11?) I got stuck behind one of those "kill the enemies" gates in a hall with 4 doors (with LOADING TIMES ugh) and I cleared all four rooms, re-checked each room like 4 times, couldn't do anything or leave the area. Can't tell if it's a bug or there's some crazy crap I was supposed to do they didn't explain. Haven't had anything like that happen so far.

Prelude.

GAME UK shipped my Vita limited edition in June 2nd. It's July 21st, nothing yet.
You can ask them to ship it again, I think you're already past the max amount of days.
It happened to me several years ago with Game and the second copy arrived in like 2 days or something.

Top Bottom