• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Shizuka

You can ask them to ship it again, I think you're already past the max amount of days.
It happened to me several years ago with Game and the second copy arrived in like 2 days or something.

I sent them an email last week and they told me to get back to them after the 18th but before August 2nd, the biggest issue here is that they shipped me the limited edition, which is long out of stock on their website (not to mention they don't even standard Vita copies for sale, third-parties are the one selling those on their website). I'm not sure if I should request a refund or ask for them to ship a standard copy.

Saphirax

I sent them an email last week and they told me to get back to them after the 18th but before August 2nd, the biggest issue here is that they shipped me the limited edition, which is long out of stock on their website (not to mention they don't even standard Vita copies for sale, third-parties are the one selling those on their website). I'm not sure if I should request a refund or ask for them to ship a standard copy.

Refund and buy it somewhere else, unless you want to risk waiting until 2045 or your package getting lost :p.

Prelude.

Maybe you can try Amazon UK. The only way to get the LE is to wait for the US release and get it from Rice Digital.

autoduelist

Another World: 20th for Vita is garbage.

Controls are awful, puzzles are lame, and the trial and error gameplay can go F itself.

Yep. Couldn't agree more. It is the classic example of a critic darling that won't be fun for anyone who doesn't have nostolgia for it. If you go on message boards and keep mentioning some old game the worst thing that can happen is a rerelease so everybody knows that game isn't all that.

But the game was 'all that' at the time of release. Games, more than any other medium, age. Controls become archaic. Gameplay becomes archaic. Interface becomes archaic. Any new idea that's good is quickly copied by others, and evolved, streamlined, and perfected... making the original inspiration seem almost broken by comparison.

Obviously, some games age better than others, but that's often due to some factors not aging in the same way... 2d sprites, for example, will tend not to age as quickly as polys, etc.

I haven't replayed Another World yet; I'm sure you're correct that it's old and dated. But it's still a classic for a reason. Not liking it now doesn't take away from that.

VLiberty

#SonyListened

https://youtu.be/8QOZGs5ehgs

TOTP: Pre-order/buy S;G

166766_original.gif

Not that I'm interested in the game anyway, but maybe if it goes on PS+ I would've been more inclined to give it a chance if it were on Vita too.

SerTapTap

It's a mistake, it's like 11€ on EU PSN

EDIT: 13€ with 10% Plus discount

Yes the official us price should be $15 with a minor PS+ discount. Never seen a too-expensive messup before but I bet they're glad it was this way and not the other way around

Takao

Banned
Yeah, saw that news too. Spike Chunsoft RPG makes me quite excited.

Spike Chunsoft's non-VN/Mystery Dungeon output is so all over the place that I couldn't have that enthusiasm.
what if it's an attack on titan action rpg

God Eater 2 is getting localized!!
By fans, for the PSP.

Good. It's not like Bandai Namco's western divisions have shown interest in that IP recently. Even if they did, they definitely won't be touching the PSP version.

RK128

#SonyListened

https://youtu.be/8QOZGs5ehgs

TOTP: Pre-order/buy S;G

Of course they would do that XD! Just remote play the game, its not like we are going to make a Vita port :D! .....I understand why Journey didn't get a Vita port (due to it being more hardware-intensive in comparison to Flower and Flow), but still, stings a bit seeing Remote Play be an excuse to 'ignore' a possible Vita version :l.

Regardless, hope anyone interested in the game gets it if they don't own it on PS3 already :D.

Spike Chunsoft's non-VN/Mystery Dungeon output is so all over the place that I couldn't have that enthusiasm.
what if it's an attack on titan action rpg

I love a good number of Spike Chunsoft's games, so they've definitely warmed to me as a developer.

... but I forgot they made that Attack on Titan game.

Speaking of PlayStation RPG's, what happened to those Project Code games that Kadokawa announced last TGS that we never heard from again?

SerTapTap

I just wanna know why it has a 40% and $40. Like it it was $150 with a 10% discount, that's a minor typo with big repercussions. But both the price and discount are totally wrong

Also, I wonder how many licensing fees Sony could be losing if people go buy on Xbone or PC instead due to the price error. It's been up for like an hour

Also PlayStation Vita 64GB Memory Card $76.50 via Groupon with Promo Code HOT3 via Cheap ass gamer. Cheapest I've seen it, I think

maouvin

I just wanna know why it has a 40% and $40. Like it it was $150 with a 10% discount, that's a minor typo with big repercussions. But both the price and discount are totally wrong

Just waiting for that moment after they fix the price but before they fix the discount, fufu.

Doesn't look like the Conversations with Creators deal is up though. I'm guessing it has to do with CoD, since that's in the deals section too.

Man it's really hard to keep up with all the sales on PSN anymore. When does the Quake Con sale end? I suppose it's been going on for a while and the sale ends this afternoon in NA?

VLiberty

As I said, I'm replaying R&C3. I've finished this game countless times in the past 11 years and yet there's still some mindblowing detail I've never noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUSaqEHhoA

Go to around 3:00; in that scene, aside from the pictures(which I just noticed that represent some of the R&C2's locations), when Nefarious' head cracks and Janice and Lance start talking, you can hear the theme that plays at the very beginning of R&C1, when Ratchet is trying to fix his ship(go to 0:22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGDern4ErY

I don't even know how did I manage to catch this up lol, earphones do wonders.

Man it's really hard to keep up with all the sales on PSN anymore. When does the Quake Con sale end? I suppose it's been going on for a while and the sale ends this afternoon in NA?

It's not that hard. New sales come every Tuesday and the previous weeks one ends when they update for the new ones.
As for the Quake Con sale it will end in a week.

Takao

Banned
I love a good number of Spike Chunsoft's games, so they've definitely warmed to me as a developer.

... but I forgot they made that Attack on Titan game.

Speaking of PlayStation RPG's, what happened to those Project Code games that Kadokawa announced last TGS that we never heard from again?

I'm just trying to think who at Spike Chunsoft could be working on an RPG right now.

- Zero Escape team is busy.
- Dangan team is busy (I'm assuming this will be another VN).
- Mystery Dungeon team has been hyper busy with Etrian MD, new Pokemon MD, Shiren 5 Plus and Mystery Chronicle.
- Conception team ???
- 3D action game team ??? (I'll assume they worked on AoT 3DS and this year's Samurai games)

It's hard since we don't know their exact structure.

So I am about 6hrs into Ar noSurge. I have realized that this is a VN with a bunch of battles thrown in between pretty much just because of the amount of story you get VS the amount of gameplay. You get to walk around and stuff, but everything is linear and trust me when I say that there is A LOT of story in this one. I was talking to Shiz yesterday, I feel bad for the folks over at KT because this is like TiTS FC or SC size in terms of scripted localization. Tons to listen to and read. Not that it's a bad thing, since the story and characters so far are pretty great. You may have one or two battles before you reach an area that pops up a cutscene. But that's it. The way battles work though, they can last a while since enemies appear in waves, so only having one or two battles actually helps with the flow of the game. The encounter rate is low, letting you get to where you have to go without having to constantly battle for 5mins at a time. Game is quite sharp looking and beautiful. Framerate can be a mess at times though.

So I am about 6hrs into AR noSurge. I have realized that this is a VN with a bunch of battles thrown in between. You get walk around and stuff, but everything is linear and trust me when I say that there is A LOT of story in this one. I was talking to Shiz yesterday, I feel bad for the folks over at KT because this is like TiTS FC or SC size in terms of scripted localization. Tons to listen to and read. Not that it's a bad thing, since the story and characters so far are pretty great. You may have one or two battles before you reach an area that pops up a cutscenes. But that's it. The way battles work though, they can last a while since enemies appear in waves, so only having one or two battles actually helps with the flow of the game. The encounter rate is low, letting you get to where you have to go without having to constantly battle for 5mins at a time.

So for the uninitiated would this be a good place to start the series?

But the game was 'all that' at the time of release. Games, more than any other medium, age. Controls become archaic. Gameplay becomes archaic. Interface becomes archaic. Any new idea that's good is quickly copied by others, and evolved, streamlined, and perfected... making the original inspiration seem almost broken by comparison.

Obviously, some games age better than others, but that's often due to some factors not aging in the same way... 2d sprites, for example, will tend not to age as quickly as polys, etc.

I haven't replayed Another World yet; I'm sure you're correct that it's old and dated. But it's still a classic for a reason. Not liking it now doesn't take away from that.

I think we can appreciate games for their contribution but judge them in today standards. There are a few classics that I think kids today could enjoy without the nostalgia but for the most part old games are better left in the past and we shouldn't be feel so reverent to them that we can't call them out as something people should avoid if they aren't nostalgic to them.

I enjoyed the Duke Nukem Vita release but would I recommend it to somebody who didn't spend their youth playing this game? No. By today standards I am sure this game isn't worth some kid's time. I was very cautious to everyone here in this thread that despite liking Grim Fandango it was a product of its time. Maybe I am cynical but when I hear someone hyping a re-release of a classic game I have never played before I usually think "probably sucks now" which on average is usually correct.

So for the uninitiated would this be a good place to start the series?
NOPE. Too many call backs to Ciel tbh. Again I'm 6 hours in and I am still getting through events that relate to something that happened in that one. When folks said you need to read Ciel they weren't kidding. Ar has a very brief recap at the start of the game and in-game encyclopedia, but these 2 together will only give you about 5-10% of the information you would need to not be lost and wonder what the heck you are seeing.

RK128

So I am about 6hrs into Ar noSurge. I have realized that this is a VN with a bunch of battles thrown in between pretty much just because of the amount of story you get VS the amount of gameplay. You get to walk around and stuff, but everything is linear and trust me when I say that there is A LOT of story in this one. I was talking to Shiz yesterday, I feel bad for the folks over at KT because this is like TiTS FC or SC size in terms of scripted localization. Tons to listen to and read. Not that it's a bad thing, since the story and characters so far are pretty great. You may have one or two battles before you reach an area that pops up a cutscene. But that's it. The way battles work though, they can last a while since enemies appear in waves, so only having one or two battles actually helps with the flow of the game. The encounter rate is low, letting you get to where you have to go without having to constantly battle for 5mins at a time. Game is quite sharp looking and beautiful. Framerate can be a mess at times though.

Saw gameplay of the game on YouTube last night and was very surprised with the encounter rate; once you clear a room of foes, that's it unless you go back and forth between areas to raise the encounter rate.

Its a bit odd to considering how the battle system mirrors a lot of its elements from the Mario and Luigi series/Paper Mario/Mario RPG and Kindgom Hearts Re:CoM.

It has the elements from KH being used with a limit on how much you can attack (you have 2-3 different tiers of attacks, but have a set 'ammo' on how much you can use them) and it refills every turn you get. You can get bonus turns if you time your attacks well enough and clear the current 'wave' with the limited ammo you have. Makes the fights fast and fun looking :D!

It also has a timing-system like the Mario RPG's with blocking (as the I saw that you press the circle button as you are getting attacked, with doing it successfully giving you a longer 'Song' meter alongside cutting off damage taken).

The Song system is very interesting, as it doesn't look like a magic system I never saw in prior RPG games. Instead of it being used to heal yourself or cast a simple fire command, its a screen nuke that you launch after you kill enough waves and depending on the waves left, it can either kill most of your foes or all of them.

So, long story short, the combat system is a lot of fun from what I saw of the game :D! The game seems to have a lot of charm too; the crafting system ends with a video of your party and the smith having a little 'dance' until the item is complete, the characters seem to have a lot of personality and like Persona 4, sometimes you can start conversations with your party about items being picked up, stuff eaten and even commenting on how much you have been fighting.

The visuals look great on Vita if YouTube quality means anything but the frame-rate seems to be something that taken a huge hit when coming to Vita; it slows down in a good number of places sadly. Granted, it is a JRPG, so the frame-rate isn't the biggest deal in the world, but when it acts up during fights, it might be an issue for some :(.

The only problems Ar nosurge has is small as fuck text and the framerate, it's a great game but you have to be ready to read A LOT.

Also, do not play the game in the normal difficulty, at least go Hard or the game is a joke.

ryseing

Finally did my PLAY preorders. Was getting Rapture regardless but wanted to continue my tradition of picking up at least two games in these things, so I decided on N++. Galak-Z didn't look like my style and I'm waiting for the physical version of Journey PS4 to go along with my PS3 copy. I'll use the coupon for some fall stuff (most likely Destiny expansion and Just Cause 3) and I'll be all set.

Also, heads up- if you own Dishonored digitally (and you most likely do thanks to Plus) the PS4 version is $20. I have my GOTY copy staring me in the face and I'm still thinking about going for it. Good on Bethesda.

SerTapTap

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi is $25 for the limited edition on Amazon, is it good as a story? Any mystery elements? After Ghost Trick/Dangan Ronpa and trying some Ace Attorney I think I like mystery VNs though I've seldom ever played a straight VN. I know it's otome but it seems like some have a lot more to the story than others

Is Journey still not up yet?

SerTapTap

It is, but it showed up as a free purchase here instead of going straight to the DL list.
(If you didn't have the PS3 version it's been up for a little while already).

Yeah that's how retroactive cross buy always seems to work. I wasn't seeing it when I searched, but it was just in a huge banner on the webstore so I found it.

Top of page again, apparently Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds is coming to PS4 on thursday (?!), it's a pretty fun co op brawler with RPG elements. Here's my vid of the PC version

autoduelist

I think we can appreciate games for their contribution but judge them in today standards. There are a few classics that I think kids today could enjoy without the nostalgia but for the most part old games are better left in the past and we shouldn't be feel so reverent to them that we can't call them out as something people should avoid if they aren't nostalgic to them.

I enjoyed the Duke Nukem Vita release but would I recommend it to somebody who didn't spend their youth playing this game? No. By today standards I am sure this game isn't worth some kid's time. I was very cautious to everyone here in this thread that despite liking Grim Fandango it was a product of its time. Maybe I am cynical but when I hear someone hyping a re-release of a classic game I have never played before I usually think "probably sucks now" which on average is usually correct.

But all media ages. Pacing, narrative structure, and filming techniques have changed cinema... and just because someone that hasn't been exposed to a lot of film may not have the patience and understanding to appreciate something like Citizen Kane does not mean Citizen Kane isn't a brilliant film that changed the face of film making. Heck, many of the changes in pacing and structure are -because- of techniques first developed in Citizen Kane.

I mean, you're right -- it becomes harder and harder for modern audiences to appreciate books, films, and games over time. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't give credit where credit is due. Recognizing and respecting the history of gaming practically requires it. In 2030, TLOU is going to feel like an archaic monstrosity to some 12 year old... but so what?

I mean, I get it. I hate tank controls so games like Silent Hill are lost on me. But that's on me, not on the game. It still is an important game, it's still a classic to many, and I'm sure it's just as great as it ever was, even if I'm no longer capable of enjoying it.

Top Bottom