• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | March 2016

Gawd damn, the PS Store is so. fucking. slow. on PS3.

My internet is 100mbps. Using wired connection vs wireless makes no difference. Any tips, or that's just the way it is?

Webstore. The worst part of this is long hang time on turning it on to set the downloads. The PS3 operating system is garbage.

18-Volt

18 Volt will be thrilled.

Indeed I am, the news I've been waiting for. It's already been rated so release date can't be far.

It's surprising to see Active Gaming Media to publish outside of Japan. Weren't they partnered with Playsim for previous releases?

Shinriji

Indeed I am, the news I've been waiting for. It's already been rated so release date can't be far.

It's surprising to see Active Gaming Media to publish outside of Japan. Weren't they partnered with Playsim for previous releases?

I thought that AGM were the publisher side of Playism.

Zero Time Dilemma trailer, gives us a release date of 6/28 in North America.

https://youtu.be/E8z9yogpeUA

Stocked as heck to play the game. Trailer was not that good though. The written info in the thread dedicated to it has me WAY more excited. Not knowing where in time you are until you finish a scene and get pulled back to a view of the timeline, serum that puts the characters to sleep every 90 mins that makes them forget what happened, the dog that can carry messages across rooms, etc. These are all really cool things that Uchikoji is cooking up for us. Coming exactly one month from my birthday too, it's real soon. I'm in day 1.

Saphirax

KWl6pqT.jpg

My body is ready.
Unless it's planned for Summer. Then I'll clutch my empty wallet and weep.

This is good. This is good.

How's the performance of the Vita version, btw? On par with the Atelier+? Better?

I've heard it's been well optimized. A lot better than Nights of Azure at least. I don't know how it compares to Arland/Dusk Plus though.

Apparently Shallie Plus turned out pretty well too.

Takao

Banned

I hope they get the Vita version. Not just for the sake of their mentions, but also so I don't have to read more, "The Vita version I've never played doesn't run locked at 60fps at native res with PS4 visuals and 0 load times so clearly it's the worst port ever and KT are really just doing Vita owners a favour by not bringing it over plus it won't hurt their review scores."

PS VR is an order of magnitude cooler than Move anyway.

If you say so.

it feels like there's way more non-shovelware stuff going on.

I predict there will be a not insignificant amount of shovelware on all VR platforms. Instead of poorly made mini-game collections (don't worry, those will exist too) and dancing games, it'll be things that would hold 0 value if it weren't in VR.

I hope they get the Vita version. Not just for the sake of their mentions, but also so I don't have to read more, "The Vita version I've never played doesn't run locked at 60fps at native res with PS4 visuals and 0 load times so clearly it's the worst port ever and KT are really just doing Vita owners a favour by not bringing it over plus it won't hurt their review scores."

I always thought that PS4/Vita games in Japan would be the saviour of this console in its twilight years, insomuch that they'll just stick the translations they were already going to do for the PS4 version in the Vita and bring it across.

Yet Nights of Azure and I am Setsuna have kicked that idea in the nuts. I really hope they don't skip Atelier Sophie, not least because I want to play it (and I prefer the series on portable) but also because I've heard the quality of the port is all there.

Takao

Banned
Azure fell victim to Gust's scheduling difficulties. Within 2015 they shipped Ayesha Plus NA/EU, Shallie NA/EU, Rorona 3DS JP, Azure PS3/PSV/PS4 JP, and Sophie PS3/PSV/PS4 JP. Presumably they'll be less busy this year (no 3DS ports + I suspect they might drop PS3 for new games), so they can handle Sophie and Shallie Plus.

Chaos Rings/Spelunker/Adventures of Mana/I Am Setsuna fell to SE's trash.

Azure fell victim to Gust's scheduling difficulties. Within 2015 they shipped Ayesha Plus NA/EU, Shallie NA/EU, Rorona 3DS JP, Azure PS3/PSV/PS4 JP, and Sophie PS3/PSV/PS4 JP. Presumably they'll be less busy this year (no 3DS ports + I suspect they might drop PS3 for new games), so they can handle Sophie and Shallie Plus.

I mean, assuming we're not taking "scheduling difficulties" as PR code for "not worth the money."

I struggle to think Nights of Azure would bring in less than every random Musou they localize on Vita.

That's a good point. They managed to get every musou out which gets bugger all ratings on PSN, presumably because Omega Force is a massive team.

autoduelist

Assault Android Cactus - Wow the polish on this twin stick shooter is amazing.

Is this game primarily a single player game or a coop game?

Anyone playing Aegis of Earth Vita? I'll probably pick it up when it releases in EU.

I own it; Amazon accidentally delivered it two days late so I'll begin playing in a couple hours.

Have we got a CivRev2 release date yet? So many things on my want list, I can't keep them straight.

RE: Natural Doctrine -- probably my favorite Vita game.

To the person that was put off by a certain characters ending.... huge spoiler ==
this character dies in your first playthrough, but you can save them in ng+

Is this game primarily a single player game or a coop game?

Up to 4 players local co-op. No online. Should work with Share Play, but there is an ongoing issue with the U.S. region release where PSN believes that the game has not been released yet, preventing users in that region from using Share Play. It is a must-buy, IMO. Possibly the best twin stick arcade shooter I have ever played.

Edit: Share Play is now working in the U.S. region.

Aksys pulled an Atlus. Aegis of Earth is dub only, goddammit.

I feel like I'm the only person on the internet these days who isn't bothered by this kinda stuff. I buy dub-only and sub-only games without issue and can't say I really have a preference.

Wonder if the VA was too expensive to licence.

RK128

Wonder if the flash sale will be today or if they'll wait until next week for Easter.

We are having a flash sale :D? Cool, hope they have some awesome 1$ deals like last year. Got at least 20 games during that XD.

Edit: I have a ton of Vita games to play again but kinda lost at which one to start again :l. Any suggestions would be welcome :D.

-Ar No Surge Plus
-Mega Man X4
-Sword Art Online Lost Song
-Bastion
-Mega Man Legends

Any of these would be fun to play but wondering what you guys would like me to start again first.

Edit 2: I just thought of this, so wondering what your guys thoughts on this idea would be; a Vita Retrospective. It would cover a long list of games (20-30 games) and it would be a mix of Sony, Third Party and Indie titles. It would be similar to my Sonic Retrospective Series I'm currently making and I would start this alongside the Ratchet & Clank Retrospective I want to make around the launch of the PS4 Game/Movie.

If you guys think this is a good idea or not, feel free to let me know :D!

EmiPrime

Edit 2: I just thought of this, so wondering what your guys thoughts on this idea would be; a Vita Retrospective. It would cover a long list of games (20-30 games) and it would be a mix of Sony, Third Party and Indie titles. It would be similar to my Sonic Retrospective Series I'm currently making and I would start this alongside the Ratchet & Clank Retrospective I want to make around the launch of the PS4 Game/Movie.

I don't post but I do read your Sonic threads. Go for it! I am all physical on Vita and the games are getting increasingly hard to find so this will be quite timely.

RK128

I don't post but I do read your Sonic threads. Go for it! I am all physical on Vita and the games are getting increasingly hard to find so this will be quite timely.

Cool :).

Will start planing out which games I want to cover and after the first Ratchet Thread goes live next month, will start making the Vita Retrospective :D.

autoduelist

RE: AEGIS OF EARTH

I've now sunk a few hours into it. I think I'm loving it, though I'm still early in.

Some thoughts about it:

TYPE OF GAME:

Unique tower defense. Over the course of many missions, you slowly build up a 'city'. The city is 4 independently rotating discs. The smaller, inner zone has around 10 zones you can build in, while, say, Zone 3 has 24 so there is a -lot- of room for unique setups. Each zone can have weapons (cannons, rockets, etc), city planning type things (residences, power plants, etc), defenses, etc.

You choose when to be attacked, and during combat need to spin the zones around (easy once you get the hang of it) to protect multiple fronts. So it's sort of like tower defense, except you actively control your weapons systems. This actually works quite well, once you get used to it.

(to get a sense of it all -- imagine if you have 3 adjacent cannons on your 3rd circle, and nothing in the 21 other zones. You'll need to spin this 3rd circle to face oncoming enemies, but since the cannons are adjacent you could only attack in one direction at once. If you were attacked from 3 vectors, you'd need to spin your other circles' weapons to fight them off.

um... here's an image of a city. This city appears to be different from the first one, for sure, but you can see how built up it eventually gets [combined with city specific deadzones where you can't build, etc]

a9468a3a295485bd52f08726c0a51c80.jpg

Strategic 'metagame' --

You start out resource and technology poor in a 'starter' city. it's implied you'll move on to other cities with different setups (some zones can be unusable, for example) later in the game, but i'm still pretty early in. You get to research new weapons, upgrade existing weapons, and all the standard TD type stuff, except all of this is semi-permanent... that is, you're not building up a city from scratch every battle, but rather, adding to your city in between battles for long term conflict.

You have a team of 6 active members, and can switch out alternates, each with in game personalities. These team members help in various ways, and have stats and special skills that you can help affect. part of the meta-game is keeping them focused, leveling them up, and making them better at their jobs (operations, weapon control, that sort of thing).

'Plot' --

There is a surprising amount of chatter inbetween missions. I'm not plot oriented, but it has a vibe reminiscent of a cross between, say, Valkyria Chronicles and StarBlazers, though not as serious as VC.

----------------

So far, it's a definite 'buy' for me... I'm very happy with my purchase. don't know if it's everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely in my wheelhouse.

I'm still early in, but it -feels- like there's going to be a ton of strategic depth once everything opens up to me. I can't speak to game balance and such yet, but so far, so good.

RE: ANDROID ASSAULT CACTUS

Up to 4 players local co-op. No online. Should work with Share Play, but there is an ongoing issue with the U.S. region release where PSN believes that the game has not been released yet, preventing users in that region from using Share Play. It is a must-buy, IMO. Possibly the best twin stick arcade shooter I have ever played.

Edit: Share Play is now working in the U.S. region.

You can play it single player but it seems like it was meant for co-op. It is very bullet hell which isn't my thing.

Ok. Well, let me just lay out my question then. First: I am a dual stick shooter aficionado. Have loved them for ages, my #1 game of all time would probably be Robotron. Have sunk countless hours into the genre.

But... I play solo. I'm a perfectionist, and am the type of person to restart an entire game of Super Stardust Delta if I accidentally screw up my multiplier before, say, the 3rd boss.

Would I be happy with this game? I see it's a 'must buy', but is it a must buy as a solo game?

Chuy

We are having a flash sale :D? Cool, hope they have some awesome 1$ deals like last year. Got at least 20 games during that XD.

Edit: I have a ton of Vita games to play again but kinda lost at which one to start again :l. Any suggestions would be welcome :D.

-Ar No Surge Plus
-Mega Man X4
-Sword Art Online Lost Song
-Bastion
-Mega Man Legends

Any of these would be fun to play but wondering what you guys would like me to start again first.

I'd say either Megaman X4 or Bastions since they're relatively short and fun games.

Nice, good sign that there will be one. I don't think we ever usually just get random sales on weekends. Not that I've noticed anyway.
Arkham Knight went a sale for something like 50%- 60% off randomly so there is some precedent but i'm hoping for a good sale this weekend though if there is one.

But... I play solo. I'm a perfectionist, and am the type of person to restart an entire game of Super Stardust Delta if I accidentally screw up my multiplier before, say, the 3rd boss.

Would I be happy with this game? I see it's a 'must buy', but is it a must buy as a solo game?

Just buy it now. AAC is perfect for you.

RK128

I'd say either Megaman X4 or Bastions since they're relatively short and fun games.

Arkham Knight went a sale for something like 50%- 60% off randomly so there is some precedent but i'm hoping for a good sale this weekend though if there is one.

Sounds like Bastion & Mega Man X4 for the win then :D! Thank you Chuy for the suggestion :).

Yasumi

Banned

I'd have to say no. It kind of comes off as over-fanaticism, particularly since the Vita's still a current gen console getting plenty of games. Maybe in a few years, nothing good would come of making it anytime soon. 30 threads would also be *massive* overkill and borderline spam.

RK128

I'd have to say no. It kind of comes off as over-fanaticism, particularly since the Vita's still a current gen console getting plenty of games. Maybe in a few years, nothing good would come of making it anytime soon. 30 threads would also be *massive* overkill and borderline spam.

Okay, that is a good point.

Just stick with series-focused coverage I guess :). Thank you for the heads up Yasumi :D.

Arthos

Flash Sale is happening! Not sure if the prices are all live. Some good stuff on the Vita side of things. Super Stardust Delta is $2.99. I think that's the first time it's been on sale?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I played a game with this Flash sale and kept adding games to my cart without checking my wallet balance to see how close I got to matching it without going over.

I bought six games and have...1.67 left! Only slight mistake I made was that I forgot that Castlevania Chronicles wasn't Vita compatible, but I still have a PSP and a PS3 if I ever want to give it a shot.

RK128

Just a heads up for those getting a few games during this sale; Capcom Collection and Castlevania Chronicles needs a PS3 to transfer the game over to your Vita to work.

If you DO NOT have a PS3, then don't bother getting the games if you have a Vita.

It works on PS3 and PSP (for Castlevania) and PSP for Capcom Collection.

Top Bottom