• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

wilflare

Anyone ever used or uses one of this?

It should work perfectly for the Vita, right? Since the one that Sony sells is 5000mAh, and this one is 10400mAh.
I'm asking this because I've read on Amazon someone saying that used a non-Sony portable charger on the Vita, and it didn't work. It didn't recharge, it only kept th battery stable while playing...

you can use any portable battery/charger with the Vita.

you just need a USB adapter like this one to make your USB cable power only
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007PMPI12/

eFKac

Anyone know anything about the PSM shutdown?

I "activated" my PSM account following these instructions today, but I was just wondering - if I back all the games up to PS3 or PC, will I be able to re-transfer them back onto my Vita (or another Vita if I get one) in future? Since I know you can't download them after September.

Or is everything just guesswork at this point?

Bumping this question for the new page, cause I was actually wondering the same.

Had to cancel my Operation Abyss LE sadly. Spent too much on my birthday outings, won't get paid in time for its release. At least the retail release still has a cool box and a soundtrack...

Tapejara

Had to cancel my Operation Abyss LE sadly. Spent too much on my birthday outings, won't get paid in time for its release. At least the retail release still has a cool box and a soundtrack...

I had to skip out on it as well :(. Canadian dollar + shipping charges mean I'm skipping out an a lot of NISA and IFI LEs.

I had to skip out on it as well :(. Canadian dollar + shipping charges mean I'm skipping out an a lot of NISA and IFI LEs.
Yeah that's another thing, I mean at almost $90 it's insane... I had to lower my Bloodstained pledge too, and put a hold on my Castlevania collection. Not being a little kid means I don't get money as a present anymore lol. Goddammit I'll have to make up for my losses in June.

omg_mjd

Whatever happened to BlueMaxima? He used to be active in the Vita megathreads from way back when. Anyway here's a gameplay footage of the Vita version of Octodad that he did:

https://youtu.be/yq-DM9f_Vv0

I haven't been interested in the game before so it's literally my first time to see it. Seems really charming! And the Vita port seems pretty good. I stopped watching about halfway through so I don't spoil anything else for myself.

ryseing

Whatever happened to BlueMaxima? He used to be active in the Vita megathreads from way back when. Anyway here's a gameplay footage of the Vita version of Octodad that he did:

https://youtu.be/yq-DM9f_Vv0

I haven't been interested in the game before so it's literally my first time to see it. Seems really charming! And the Vita port seems pretty good. I stopped watching about halfway through so I don't spoil anything else for myself.

He still mods /r/vita. Not sure why he isn't active on GAF.

Shizuka

I have GOTY in my hands. I have a week and a half to see if the hype is real, the game is good and if I can convince y'all.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Gundam Breaker 2 (PSV) is excellent. Highly recommended to anyone on the fence.

Yep game is pretty solid and the tons of parts and weapons / abilities that can be used is fantastic.

Though something feels a bit off with the melee combat vs the first game. But everything else beats it hands down with GB2.

Just dont expect anything great out of the SP story lol.

I'm interested in buying Corpse Party: Blood Drive
(dat physical copy)
but I've never played any of the games, I read good things about the series but never felt a need to play it until now. I have a PSP and a DS, what games do I need to play before I play Blood Drive?

(dat physical copy)
but I've never played any of the games, I read good things about the series but never felt a need to play it until now. I have a PSP and a DS, what games do I need to play before I play Blood Drive?
The 2 available on PSN pretty much. It's a series of 3 games, you must play the 2 before Blood Drive or else the story won't make much sense they are all a continuation of the previous title

Prelude.

(dat physical copy)
Technically you only need to play Corpse Party (PSP) and the last chapter of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP) since the rest of the game is alternative universe scenarios. But I wouldn't recommend skipping it (or watching the last chapter on YT), it's a great game and it really deepens the characterization of a lot of characters.
They're both on the store and Vita compatible, though, so there's no need to use your PSP.

The 2 available on PSN pretty much. It's a series of 3 games, you must play the 2 before Blood Drive or else the story won't make much sense they are all a continuation of the previous title

Technically you only need to play Corpse Party (PSP) and the last chapter of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP) since the rest of the game is alternative universe scenarios. But I wouldn't recommend skipping it (or watching the last chapter on YT), it's a great game and it really deepens the characterization of a lot of characters.
They're both on the store and Vita compatible, though, so there's no need to use your PSP.

Thanks guys.

I personally think Vita would be better because the bilinear scaling filter works really well with the art style of these games. (Plus dat OLED if applicable)

autoduelist

Why? What's the difference if I try to use it without this "Power Only" adapter? Shouldn't it recharge aswell?
And even if I buy the original Portable Charger from Sony, will I have to use this adapter?

The Vita needs 1.5amps to charge. Not all charger/cable combinations do that, some do.

The Sony branded one doesn't need anything special -- I use it all the time and it's a solid unit. Small and compact and holds a really nice charge [I use over the ear headphones and it fits nicely in my headphone case where the wires store. Recommended, especially if you travel a lot. It's also nice just to have around the house if you're sitting away from a power outlet but need a charge. And, of course, it can charge other things too.

I "activated" my PSM account following these instructions today, but I was just wondering - if I back all the games up to PS3 or PC, will I be able to re-transfer them back onto my Vita (or another Vita if I get one) in future? Since I know you can't download them after September.

It's my understanding that after the last license check in September (the actual shut down), as soon as the game leaves your Vita in any way it'll no longer work - be it transfer to PC/PS3, deletion, or corruption.

maouvin

The FAQ page doesn't mention backing them up to PC/PS3. To be on the safe side, just keep them on the memory card.
If you get a new Vita that wasn't activated for PSM and just put said memory card in you won't be able to run the games, though.

AsfaeksBR

The Vita needs 1.5amps to charge. Not all charger/cable combinations do that, some do.

According to their website:

10400-fast_charging.png

So.... doesn't work, right?

It's my understanding that after the last license check in September (the actual shut down), as soon as the game leaves your Vita in any way it'll no longer work - be it transfer to PC/PS3, deletion, or corruption.

The FAQ page doesn't mention backing them up to PC/PS3. To be on the safe side, just keep them on the memory card.
If you get a new Vita that wasn't activated for PSM and just put said memory card in you won't be able to run the games, though.

Well, thank you for the replies chaps, despite it being rubbish news! :(

Tbh, there's very little on PSM I'd actually care about keeping around, but Tokyo Jungle Mobile; Rymdkapsel and Chaos Rings are the three I wanna keep around. Would be pretty disappointing to lose them if I ever had any issue with my Vita.

AsfaeksBR

That should work since you have a 2A port there and Vita only needs 1.5A.

Doesn't it kill the battery life faster?
Charging it with 1A makes it charge extremely slow, maybe even not charge at all (only keeping the battery at a steady level). Can damage the battery life in the long run.
Charging it with 2A is more than the required, which can damage the battery in the short run.
Right?

N° 2048

Doesn't it kill the battery life faster?
Charging it with 1A makes it charge extremely slow, maybe even not charge at all (only keeping the battery at a steady level). Can damage the battery life in the long run.
Charging it with 2A is more than the required, which can damage the battery in the short run.
Right?

AFAIK, no, it'll just charge faster @2A.
The battery will be fine, again, as long as you match the Voltage.

The Voltage is the important part that must match or not be over/under a %5 difference. (Vita requires 5V).

http://lifehacker.com/pay-attention-to-charger-amperage-to-juice-up-your-gadg-1492446246

Ultimately, it’s really the amperage that determines how fast a charger will supply power to your device. If you want quicker charging, look for a wall or car charger that delivers 2100 mA of current at 5 volts (or whatever voltage the device you’re trying to charge is specced at).

Parakeetman

people for christs sake just use the normal charger

in the event that something does go wrong its just going to be you and your skunked vita.

ZeroAKA

C4cS7b4.png

Game of the Month voting ends soon! You may vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in the month of May. You can either PM me on GAF or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Please format the PM as shown below, or your PM may be ignored:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)

Parakeetman

there is also the portable power unit which can be charged up and work as an auxiliary power unit.

model PCH-ZPC1

its an official sony product but was made for the OG vita though have used it with the 2k since you just swap cables

autoduelist

Interesting.

I'm still looking for 'should I buy' thoughts on:

1) That slime RPG. It sounded great. Is it?
2) The comic book reader on PSM. I desperately want a book reader on my vita, but I don't have that. Hows this for comics?

Well, thank you for the replies chaps, despite it being rubbish news! :(

Tbh, there's very little on PSM I'd actually care about keeping around, but Tokyo Jungle Mobile; Rymdkapsel and Chaos Rings are the three I wanna keep around. Would be pretty disappointing to lose them if I ever had any issue with my Vita.

Tokyo Jungle Mobile... man, it makes me want a real port someday. Here's my impossible E3 wish -- Tokyo Jungle Vita. There is zero chance of this being announced, of course, but i'm putting this out into the universe just in case.

Rym is great but I wouldn't be heart broken if it got deleted.

Isn't Chaos Rings coming to the Vita natively? Or am I misunderstanding something?

The only PSM games I've kept on my Vita are:
Rymdkapsel, Tokyo Jungle, Adventure Bar Labyrinth (this plays fundamentally like Sorcery Saga on vita, but with lesser graphics), Bike rider DX, Gunhouse, and Bullion Blitz.

There are a few others i've bought and/or gotten for free that i've since forgotten about.

Any other Gems worth looking into? I know one of the rhythm games is supposed to be great, i'm just not into rhythm games.

EDIT --
under app/utilities I found something with a purely japanese name that appears to be a free calculator. It's free, so grabbing that. Some text appears to be in japanese but it's a calculator so... whatever.

Isn't Chaos Rings coming to the Vita natively? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Any other Gems worth looking into? I know one of the rhythm games is supposed to be great, i'm just not into rhythm games.

A Vita native version of Chaos Rings exists in Japan (and 2 + Omega), but who knows if we'll get them over here or not.

Those 3 I mentioned before are the only 3 that I've really enjoyed tbh. Gun Commando is an alright FPS; and Sword of Rapier is... interesting, but other than that I have no recommendations. I've been meaning to try Forevolution though.

Omerta

I've charged my vita with literally every kind of plug, portable batter, laptop, TV or car outlet you can think of and it's absolutely fine... I've been doing it for over a year and the battery is still great.

I've got one of those USB adapter thingos that was linked at the top of the page by wilflare.

Just buy the damn battery!

People are hoping for that, but there's nothing official. All of the games are now officially localized on iOS, so in theory it shouldn't be too hard for Square Enix to do Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy.

Ventara

So I finally got my copy of banned game and SAO from Play-Asia. I was hoping that since the shipping was no longer free, they'd have improved the shipping time, but nope.

Anyways, I recently found out the Moe Chronicles is coming to the west. Is it getting a physical copy?

Shizuka

So I finally got my copy of banned game and SAO from Play-Asia. I was hoping that since the shipping was no longer free, they'd have improved the shipping time, but nope.

Anyways, I recently found out the Moe Chronicles is coming to the west. Is it getting a physical copy?

Where did you find out? So far, nothing is confirmed for the West.

wilflare

Shizuka

I just came here to post about Bloodstained. Give me a retail version on KS and it'll be the first project I back in years.

wilflare

Why? What's the difference if I try to use it without this "Power Only" adapter? Shouldn't it recharge aswell?
And even if I buy the original Portable Charger from Sony, will I have to use this adapter?

if you buy the original Portable Charger from Sony - nope you don't have to.

to put it simply, all USB cables have data and power channels.
what the USB adapter does is to make it "power-only" in order to allow the Vita to be charged by third party portable batteries.

you'll probably need it as well if you want to charge your Vita via PC.

Top Bottom