• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

If that's what it means for the Vita to be dead I don't even want it alive. And that's probably only the start
Not sure how and when the games will come to EU but I'll probably just import.

RK128

I love how we're pretty much in the middle of a [small] Vita Renaissance with tons of localizations and indie games coming out regularly, yet a single word mentioned in an investor's meeting sends everyone into a tizzy. As if that single word changed a god damn thing about what's going on, or even shed any light on how Sony view the Vita ecosystem (it doesn't).

People are so ready to lose their minds over a word, or a possible interpretation, and then others get their claws out and scream 'dead! dead! dead!' and it's all so silly, because anyone paying attention knows damn well we're getting more games than ever and likely have massive backlogs to boot.

I think that reaction is more from some peoples hopes of future Sony support being shut down...even though any Vita owner can say "Sony tried and failed, so they gave up making games for the thing :l. Others are making lots of games though :D!"

With E3 coming and JP publishers already announcing big localization news (Lost Song, Corpse Party Blood Drive, and Earth Defense Force 2) and indie games coming left and right to the platform, you are completely right Autoduelist :D; we are in a Vita Renascence :').

You are also right about the backlog, as I have well over 200 games to play through that I still didn't beat yet XD!

If that's what it means for the Vita to be dead I don't even want it alive. And that's probably only the start
Not sure how and when the games will come to EU but I'll probably just import.
Although this is true you will only ever hear this from those who own a Vita. Those who do own one love it but those on the outside, and that's the majority of people sadly, won't see any reason to buy one unless they are into JRPGs and indies.

Khronico

Well, my vita 1k amazon trade in went through and I used that credit towards a vita 2k (bl2 bundle). Probably gonna preorder Operation Abyss tonight as well, really excited to play it when it comes out!

RK128

Although this is true you will only ever hear this from those who own a Vita. Those who do own one love it but those on the outside, and that's the majority of people sadly, won't see any reason to buy one unless they are into JRPGs and indies.

To be fair, word of mouth does more marketing for the system then Sony themselves, so that just makes things harder; if the platform holder has no idea how to sell the thing, how can the public understand what is/isn't on the platform?

I think a stronger marketing push and a clear retail presence could do wonders for the system I think :)....but that is just wishful thinking at this point :l.

To be fair, word of mouth does more marketing for the system then Sony themselves, so that just makes things harder; if the platform holder has no idea how to sell the thing, how can the public understand what is/isn't on the platform?

I think a stronger marketing push and a clear retail presence could do wonders for the system I think :)....but that is just wishful thinking at this point :l.
All we can do is enjoy what we have, because to be frank is really good. Clearly these "Legacy" and "Vita is Dead" titles out there don't stop our beloved publishers from bringing stuff over to our Vitas. I've said it before, but after Operation Abyss drops we are pretty much getting a notable Japanese release every 2-3 weeks all the way until the end of September. We will be fine

RK128

All we can do is enjoy what we have, because to be frank is really good. Clearly these "Legacy" and "Vita is Dead" titles out there don't stop our beloved publishers from bringing stuff over to our Vitas. I've said it before, but after Operation Abyss drops we are pretty much getting a notable Japanese release every 2-3 weeks all the way until the end of September. We will be fine

That's true man :). Personally really excited for Rebirth 3 and the fall line up of Kickstarter Indie games (Shantae Half Genie Hero and Mighty No. 9) :D.

I'm really happy that the Vita has created such a great eco system for JP developers and publishers; they love the platform and they see our demand for their software, perfect echo chamber of give and demand :D.

SerTapTap

The "vita is dead" talk is only slightly more absurd than always...current outlook for the year is pretty much no different from any prior year other than no Sony first parties. And if Vita gets Xcom that's great

That's true man :). Personally really excited for Rebirth 3 and the fall line up of Kickstarter Indie games (Shantae Half Genie Hero and Mighty No. 9) :D.

I'm really happy that the Vita has created such a great eco system for JP developers and publishers; they love the platform and they see our demand for their software, perfect echo chamber of give and demand :D.
My only concern is not with our shores, but with how in JP the mobile market seems to be taking over slowly. The Vita is pretty much alive on like I said Japanese titles and indies. If the Japanese suddenly decide to start cutting off Vita development, then we will be in trouble. I mean don't get me wrong I love indie games but those games are usually quick addicting fixes between releases. When I buy a Japanese title I look for a great cast of characters, a lengthy campaign with solid role playing mechanics. We do have some indies doing it, but most don't make that kind of game.
The "vita is dead" talk is only slightly more absurd than always...current outlook for the year is pretty much no different from any prior year other than no Sony first parties. And if Vita gets Xcom that's great
Goes to show how much they cared from the very start.

RK128

I find it funny that it isn't people that start the negativity for the Vita, but Sony always causes it (the PSN Classics glitch being 'fixed', Typo-0's infamous announcement, ect). Oh well, like you and Name's said, the Vita is still kicking strong and I can't wait for this year's line up of games :D.

Xcom is such a great fit on the Vita, as you can use the touch screen to command your units and 'trace' routes for them to follow. Swiping to move the map could also be really helpful too.

RK128

My only concern is not with our shores, but with how in JP the mobile market seems to be taking over slowly. The Vita is pretty much alive on like I said Japanese titles and indies. If the Japanese suddenly decide to start cutting off Vita development, then we will be in trouble. I mean don't get me wrong I love indie games but those games are usually quick addicting fixes between releases. When I buy a Japanese title I look for a great cast of characters, a lengthy campaign with solid role playing mechanics. We do have some indies doing it, but most don't make that kind of game.

Goes to show how much they cared from the very start.

That is something to consider but the Vita is in a very odd 'limbo' state for developers; if they want to work on PS4, then the Vita is the perfect 'toy box' to mess around with, as after releasing your Vita project to the masses, you can easily up-port the tittle to the PS4.

I only mention this due to how we saw this last TGS; Ys Vita, Dragon Quest Heroes, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 and many, many other tittles have Vita versions first, and PS4 versions second. That will continue to happen, so with that 'set up' in place, we can safely ensure that we will be getting big JP tittles on the platform in the future :).

Also take into consideration that the PSP is still selling in JP and how PSP games are still being made; the Vita is once again, the most natural platform to port over/up-port their games to.

Lastly, their is the mobile threat and while that is a big issue in JP, it also 'isn't' really. The 3DS is still selling over there and the Vita is selling well over there as well. So, by that merit, we can expect JP games to come on to both of them. Granted, we may see a shift of games from Vita to 3DS (or Vita games coming to 3DS ala One Piece World Adventure Red) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tapejara

Yayy EDF. <3 XSEED.

--

So, a while back I decided that I was going to play through La-Mulana EX without using a guide. I managed to get past the fourth boss and unlock some other areas before getting lost. Dropped it for a month or so, and decided to come back to it earlier this week.

Still making progress, but I really wish I had a guide. I looked some up, but it was difficult to find where I was in the guide considering objectives don't have to be tackled in order. Anyone use a guide they could recommend?

bobohoro

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls LE pre-order for Europe is now up. £59.99 plus postage.

I will continue to ignore them then.

The Vita situation is nothing new and probably not really problematic for most of us in this thread, or happy Vita owners in general. Because we always got what we get and probably will get more of what we already got in the future. It sold to a few niches and those are now supporting the few willing publishers that deliver, and going by the inflow of announcements, also make a decent profit of it.

That's obviously a very isolated, almost bubble-like, situation, but it is what it is and I'm fine with it. I kinda don't understand people still moaning about this after all these years. If you wanted a handheld with other, probably more westernized, titles on it, you could have invested in this thing when they released all those shooters and first party efforts many moons ago. But that ship has sailed and all that doom and gloom from users that probably weren't all that interest in the Vita in the first place is a pretty weird scene to witness, and quite a waste of words.

Cha

Octodad on the Vita is a legit good port. Was expecting it to be a low framerate mess with all the physics stuff, but it runs smooth (just not sure what framerate - but it's good). The game is a pleasant ride too. I'm not very far, but it's such a lovely experience. Loading times are long though.

Great to see that Corpse Party Blood Drive is getting a physical release. Hope it's the same for EU regions, or I'm gonna have ta import.

autoduelist

With E3 coming and JP publishers already announcing big localization news (Lost Song, Corpse Party Blood Drive, and Earth Defense Force 2) and indie games coming left and right to the platform, you are completely right Autoduelist :D; we are in a Vita Renascence :').

You are also right about the backlog, as I have well over 200 games to play through that I still didn't beat yet XD!

I have several hundred games in my backlog too. Many of them 100 hour experiences... my vita can last me decades, to the point i'd be more worried about it failing from old age (battery, whatever) than running out of games.

I find it funny that it isn't people that start the negativity for the Vita, but Sony always causes it (the PSN Classics glitch being 'fixed', Typo-0's infamous announcement, ect). Oh well, like you and Name's said, the Vita is still kicking strong and I can't wait for this year's line up of games :D.

I'm an optimistic person in many ways. I look at something like the glitch, and see it as a huge positive... there was a huge demand for those games they couldn't get us through legal means so there was a 'glitch' that happened for a weekend that let us hardcore paying attention get the goodies before it had to be fixed. I imagine some sony tech guy going 'ok, i'm just going to turn this on for a couple days and look the other way....'. I don't get upset that they had to turn it off, because of course they had to turn it off... it was [most likely by far] a legal issue. So I'm happy it happened, not saddened. I just wish I bought a couple more games that weekend.

That's obviously a very isolated, almost bubble-like, situation, but it is what it is and I'm fine with it. I kinda don't understand people still moaning about this after all these years. If you wanted a handheld with other, probably more westernized, titles on it, you could have invested in this thing when they released all those shooters and first party efforts many moons ago. But that ship has sailed and all that doom and gloom from users that probably weren't all that interest in the Vita in the first place is a pretty weird scene to witness, and quite a waste of words.

Right there is the silliest part of it all. Nobody bought the games that did come out that met the requirements of games people claim the vita needs. Well, hmmm.

We'll continue to get games as long as we continue to buy them. The vita's powerful enough to last many years -- indies, probably even anything they come up with for whatever the next-gen Nintendo handheld is, smaller ps4 cross-platform games, etc.

Add in remote play, and it's still very much alive.

AsfaeksBR

So, if I put my Vita in flight mode, how much more time will I be able to use it as compared to having the wi-fi always on?
00h30m? 1h?

So, if I put my Vita in flight mode, how much more time will I be able to use it as compared to having the wi-fi always on?
00h30m? 1h?

It varies depending on what you're doing and other settings so I can't give you a solid number, but there's a significant measurable difference.

Ambitious

I had a look at my PSN activity feed using the PS app. The screenshots I uploaded to Twitter with my PS4 are there, though the app only displays a placeholder image. Presumably because my Twitter account is set to private.
Anyway, when I tap on the placeholder, there's a "Show in Twitter" option. Tapping it opens the following Twitter profile in the browser:

img_1472ieue3.jpg

Like.. what? Why @psapp? Why not my account? Why would they even have a Twitter account for the app itself? And it's not even Sony's account. It's an abandoned Twitter account of some random girl. I don't get it. Did they fail to secure the Twitter handle? If so, then why the hell would they link to this profile in spite of that? I'm seriously confused right now.

eFKac

OMG Yes to this! In general, a KotOR remaster collection needs to happen one way or another and if it comes to Vita, even better!

Nope, you have to get the PSP versions of those games.

Heh recently got KotOR for my Xperia Z3 and have to say it was fantastic coupled with a Dualshock 4.

Asked the guys who ported it, Aspyr, about a Vita version and they said no plans for additional platforms, so it's not happening unfortunately.

If you have a strong smartphone, a Dualshock 4 (or some mobile gamepad if you don't own an Xperia or don't want to root) and Game Mount Control as a cherry on top, you should go for it, the experience is fuckin fantastic to be honest :)
And KotOR 2 is coming, leaked on some rating board not long ago, can't wait :-D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It varies depending on what you're doing and other settings so I can't give you a solid number, but there's a significant measurable difference.

Like an hour extra if you turn off bluetooth, wifi, have the volume super low and whatever the lowest brightness setting is.

So, may as well share this here too:

I live in UK, and check PSP-section of PSN quite regularly (only on Vita since I CAN'T CHECK IT ON PS3 ANYMORE :( )

Today, randomly, 3 brand new games appeared which I've never seen listed as Vita compatible before - Iron Man; The Secret Saturdays and Thrillville: Off the Rails

esTTUFT.jpg

kmHvFjM.jpg

T907ofI.jpg

I bought Thrillville as an impulse purchase just to see if it worked and well... it's downloading right this second.

I know the games themselves aren't massive news, but I just thought I'd mention it here because you don't often see these random flashes of games being made Vita compatible. Maybe we'll get some more in future?

RK128

So, may as well share this here too:

I live in UK, and check PSP-section of PSN quite regularly (only on Vita since I CAN'T CHECK IT ON PS3 ANYMORE :( )

Today, randomly, 3 brand new games appeared which I've never seen listed as Vita compatible before - Iron Man; The Secret Saturdays and Thrillville: Off the Rails

esTTUFT.jpg

kmHvFjM.jpg

T907ofI.jpg

I bought Thrillville as an impulse purchase just to see if it worked and well... it's downloading right this second.

I know the games themselves aren't massive news, but I just thought I'd mention it here because you don't often see these random flashes of games being made Vita compatible. Maybe we'll get some more in future?

That is sorta like how Tron Bonne out of nowhere was rated by the ESRB and just a day or so latter, came to PSN; Sony might be working with more publishers to get their PSP and PS1 software on the Vita store.

SCEE are also positioning the system for kids too (with the recent Loony Toons mini game collection and both SCEA and SCEE porting Disney Infinity 2.0 to Vita), so those games could be their efforts in getting more kids playing the Vita as well :).

SCEE are also positioning the system for kids too (with the recent Loony Toons mini game collection and both SCEA and SCEE porting Disney Infinity 2.0 to Vita), so those games could be their efforts in getting more kids playing the Vita as well :).

Quite possibly! But this just seems completely random. I've found another one in a slightly different situation that is less kid friendly: Need for Speed Underground Rivals has randomly appeared again on EU PSN, and says it's Vita compatible too:

YMS6LJe.jpg

Not in the Vita store though. I only discovered this because I searched for Need for Speed (since there were a lot of those games on PSP). Who knows what other stuff they've added.

I'd also note that none of the games that were previously incompatible are now compatible. Stuff like Burnout Legends; Theme Hospital or Command and Conquer from my download list (so pretty much everything else EA has made) is still incompatible. Which makes me wary about Underground Rivals (but I want it!)

I'll see if I can find anything else that has magically appeared on PSN.

AsfaeksBR

Anyone ever used or uses one of this?

It should work perfectly for the Vita, right? Since the one that Sony sells is 5000mAh, and this one is 10400mAh.
I'm asking this because I've read on Amazon someone saying that used a non-Sony portable charger on the Vita, and it didn't work. It didn't recharge, it only kept th battery stable while playing...

omg_mjd

Is there an up-to-date list of SCEE PSP and PSone titles compatible and directly downloadable to the Vita? There's a list for the US in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038187 and I was wondering if there was something similar for EU PSN.

It should work perfectly for the Vita, right? Since the one that Sony sells is 5000mAh, and this one is 10400mAh.
I'm asking this because I've read on Amazon someone saying that used a non-Sony portable charger on the Vita, and it didn't work. It didn't recharge, it only kept th battery stable while playing...

Maybe Settings>System>USB Power Supply wasn't checked in their Vita. I directly charge my PSV 2000 from my laptop and my phone charger all the time so I don't think it has to be Sony branded.

Okay... so there's definitely something weird going on with EU PSN. A couple more strange games I pulled up from the webstore that are new and supposedly Vita compatible - Megamind: The Blue Defender and Gensan (though I have a feeling I've seen the latter one mentioned somewhere else before.

But the two games that are really troubling me which are on PSN at the moment are Fate/Unlimited Codes and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Both are buyable right this second (although very pricey) and Fate/Unlimited says it's downloadable to Vita (while PSP2 is PSP-only)

But both were pulled from PSN in the past due to licencing issues: Phantasy Star some time in 2012; Fate/Unlimited in June 2012.

I doubt Capcom would magically choose to renew their licence just to stick it on PSN again so this has to be a glitch, right?

RK128

Okay... so there's definitely something weird going on with EU PSN. A couple more strange games I pulled up from the webstore that are new and supposedly Vita compatible - Megamind: The Blue Defender and Gensan (though I have a feeling I've seen the latter one mentioned somewhere else before.

But the two games that are really troubling me which are on PSN at the moment are Fate/Unlimited Codes and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Both are buyable right this second (although very pricey) and Fate/Unlimited says it's downloadable to Vita (while PSP2 is PSP-only)

But both were pulled from PSN in the past due to licencing issues: Phantasy Star some time in 2012; Fate/Unlimited in June 2012.

I doubt Capcom would magically choose to renew their licence just to stick it on PSN again so this has to be a glitch, right?

Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Fate/Unlimited are really news worthy; that means both Capcom and Sega are activily getting more software playable on Vita and with Phantasy Star, bring back a game to PSN that many wanted to play again (during the whole PSN Glitch early 2014, that was the game so many were happy to finally play again).

....That can't be a glitch, as Sony must be aware of the licensing issues surrounding the games.

I don't like to bet on things, but I am willing to bet that across both US and EU PSN stores, they will be letting a lot of PSP and PS1 games be available for Vita and PS TV owners to play and buy as a 'big' point during the Vita portion of the E3 press conference :).

You finding out these games can be purchased and played on Vita almost confirms this. The main thing to wait for is for NA PSN to add stuff as well.

I did my digging into NA PSN through both PSN and my download list and things are still the same; the Crash and Spryo series cannot be downloaded to the Vita while MGS, Silent Hill and Tomb Raider Legend cannot be nativity downloaded on the Vita store.

Lets wait till E3, be cause the timing of this is too big to notice.

Till then, you should make a thread letting people know outside of the PSN Thread that they can play and buy these games on their Vita's now; for all we know, this is the EU PSN equivalent of the 'Great PSN Store Glitch of 2014'.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Fate/Unlimited are really news worthy; that means both Capcom and Sega are activily getting more software playable on Vita and with Phantasy Star, bring back a game to PSN that many wanted to play again (during the whole PSN Glitch early 2014, that was the game so many were happy to finally play again).

....That can't be a glitch, as Sony must be aware of the licensing issues surrounding the games.

Till then, you should make a thread letting people know outside of the PSN Thread that they can play and buy these games on their Vita's now; for all we know, this is the EU PSN equivalent of the 'Great PSN Store Glitch of 2014'.

The thing is, in that article I linked, it says that Capcom let the licence lapse on Fate/Unlimited Codes. I mean... why would Capcom renew it now? They have almost nothing to gain from it with the state of PSV & PSTV in the west.

But sure, I'll make a thread on it anyway just to make some wider discussion.

Edit: Oh, and btw, the copy of Thrillville I downloaded is in French. On UK PSN. That screams "glitch" to me.

RK128

The thing is, in that article I linked, it says that Capcom let the licence lapse on Fate/Unlimited Codes. I mean... why would Capcom renew it now? They have almost nothing to gain from it with the state of PSV & PSTV in the west.

But sure, I'll make a thread on it anyway just to make some wider discussion.

Edit: Oh, and btw, the copy of Thrillville I downloaded is in French. On UK PSN. That screams "glitch" to me.

Well, I guess it really is the EU PSN version of the PSN Store Glitch of 2014 then :l. Still, this does point to Sony doing 'something' to the PS Vita side of the PSN Store; either adding more software to play on the system (and apparently failing, shown through your Thrillville example) or what ever.

Heh recently got KotOR for my Xperia Z3 and have to say it was fantastic coupled with a Dualshock 4.

Asked the guys who ported it, Aspyr, about a Vita version and they said no plans for additional platforms, so it's not happening unfortunately.

If you have a strong smartphone, a Dualshock 4 (or some mobile gamepad if you don't own an Xperia or don't want to root) and Game Mount Control as a cherry on top, you should go for it, the experience is fuckin fantastic to be honest :)
And KotOR 2 is coming, leaked on some rating board not long ago, can't wait :-D

I bought them on GOG on May the 4th sale, been playing them with the restoration mods :D

RK128

what's going on here

A number of PSP games are popping up on EU/UK PSN that normally don't work and/or removed from the store. And, similar to the PSN Glitch early last year, a lot of them are playable on Vita.

The big games part of this is Phantasy Star Portable 2 (only works with PSP for now) and Fate/Unlimited Codes (reportedly works on Vita). So, if have a EU/UK account and find interest in any of these games, get them now before Sony takes them off the store.

I say that due to both Fate/Unlimited Codes and Phantasy Star Portable 2 having licensing issues, so Capcom and Sega might push them to remove them off the store.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I had a look at my PSN activity feed using the PS app. The screenshots I uploaded to Twitter with my PS4 are there, though the app only displays a placeholder image. Presumably because my Twitter account is set to private.
Anyway, when I tap on the placeholder, there's a "Show in Twitter" option. Tapping it opens the following Twitter profile in the browser:

http://abload.de/img/img_1472ieue3.jpg[/IG]

Like.. what? Why @psapp? Why not my account? Why would they even have a Twitter account for the app itself? And it's not even Sony's account. It's an abandoned Twitter account of some random girl. I don't get it. Did they fail to secure the Twitter handle? If so, then why the hell would they link to this profile in spite of that? I'm seriously confused right now.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's so strange.

img_1472ieue3.jpg

Like.. what? Why @psapp? Why not my account? Why would they even have a Twitter account for the app itself? And it's not even Sony's account. It's an abandoned Twitter account of some random girl. I don't get it. Did they fail to secure the Twitter handle? If so, then why the hell would they link to this profile in spite of that? I'm seriously confused right now.

Thread worthy

I've been away with work + doing a little psm dev thing on the side so I've missed the initial "legacy" annoucement. But considering the two vita games we got today, a possible Sen no Kiseki annoucement, a new Moero game for us sleazy Asians hopefully, and that P4DAN limited, I'm booked with vita purchase till next year.

Looks like I have to postpone my ps4 purchase till the new Gran Turismo really drops.

Pre-ordered that P4DAN Disco Fever LE, and eagerly awaiting the opportunity to preorder the Blood Drive LE. Great to see that XSeed is going to give that another one of their fantastic LE treatments. Vita and PS4 have had some great announcements this week.

I played on the hardest setting, and the reason I really enjoyed the combat is because you're constantly on your toes, constantly flipping characters between human and demon form, taking risks, and generally have to constantly adapt to each battle on the fly.

It gets lewt completely wrong though. There's no sense of it whatsover, which definitely helps that 'bland' feeling. And what could have been an interesting card based skill system also leads to completely interchangable characters that have no set role or class, which also makes them feel bland. It's definitely got a nice case of the blands... but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

I'm playing on normal right now. I probably should've done hard/expert to start to make the platinum easier (if I decide to go for it), but I wanted to get a feel for the game at first.

Totally agree re: botched card system. I'll give the game credit, it has several interesting ideas on paper, but totally botches most of them in execution. I was kind of frustrated with the interchangeability of the characters. There are stat differences, but for the most part it feels like you just choose your 3 favorite skins.

It needs to be able to provide 1500mA (1.5A), most of them provide only 1000mA. That is what sets the official battery apart. I got an official one for only 10&#8364;, haven't used it yet though.

Anyone know anything about the PSM shutdown?

I "activated" my PSM account following these instructions today, but I was just wondering - if I back all the games up to PS3 or PC, will I be able to re-transfer them back onto my Vita (or another Vita if I get one) in future? Since I know you can't download them after September.

Or is everything just guesswork at this point?

Top Bottom