• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

Powwa

I don't know why I bought RE: Revelations 2 for Vita. Framerate is bad overall but real issue stars once the screen starts to bleed because of the damage, 10-15 fps is unacceptable.

Who gave the permission to release the game in this state?

I don't know why I bought RE: Revelations 2 for Vita. Framerate is bad overall but real issue stars once the screen starts to bleed because of the damage, 10-15 fps is unacceptable.

Same people responsible for BL2 on Vita?

incpdo

Did you download the update ? I'm pretty sure had some frame dips here and there but overall actually it is really stable . maybe it's because I play this game while in plane mode. But I'm pretty sure it never reaches the lows of 15 or 20 is more like 25, 30. If you compare it to the console version sure it runs at a lower framerate . but its really playable and framerate is not actually the problem.. The sound is another story thou.

BL 2 reaches 15 or 20 when the screen is really busy.

Idk I feel people nowadays overexagerate some things today and keep looking console experience in portable devices.
Seems you guys didn't play jak n daxter on Vita now that's a really shameful release.

Powwa

Did you download the update ? I'm pretty sure had some frame dips here and there but overall actually it is really stable . maybe it's because I play this game while in plane mode. But I'm pretty sure it never reaches the lows of 15 or 20 is more like 25, 30. If you compare it to the console version sure it runs at a lower framerate . but its really playable and framerate is not actually the problem.. The sound is another story thou.

BL 2 reaches 15 or 20 when the screen is really busy.

Idk I feel people nowadays overexagerate some things today and keep looking console experience in portable devices.
Seems you guys didn't play jak n daxter on Vita now that's a really shameful release.

Well I actually have Jak and Daxter and I finished all 3 games on Vita.

Problem I have here is that Vita could handle better graphics and better fps. The port isn't bad because of the limitations of the hardware, Sony just found the cheapest company to port it and didn't care about the rest.

I'm just disappointed to see Sony doing the same mistakes over and over again.

/rant off

No season pass for Fallout 4 yet, even though it is available on PC and Xbox One.
Does anyone know when it will be available for preorder on PSN?

Problem I have here is that Vita could handle better graphics and better fps. The port isn't bad because of the limitations of the hardware, Sony just found the cheapest company to port it and didn't care about the rest.

/rant off

How do you know that it's not because of the hardware limitations (i.e lack of RAM). Have you read any of the articles out there where people are describing their problems with porting games to the Vita.
As I see it it's crazy how Iron Galaxy managed to get BL2 to run at all on the limited specs of the Vita.

How do you know that the vita can handle better gfx and framerate (are you a programmer with experience from Vita development)?

incpdo

/rant off
Fair enough. But I think revelations 2 its actually a good port more if you compare it to jak n daxter.

How do you know that the vita can handle better gfx and framerate (are you a programmer with experience from Vita development)?

As a computer tech with vast hardware and software tear-down experience, I can assure you it'll run anything currently ported at 30fps with proper coding. The problem is with how they port the games, engine availability (and quality due to bad coding), time taken to code (usually limited by money), and coding ability.

Redhood

Well a game consists of two things. Logics and Graphics. Developers have to balance out both in order to achieve the required framerate. So in order to port a game the first thing that is ported is the logic. This is the base of how the game plays. Next comes graphics. So the device should be able to push the logic of the game with the required graphics at 30fps. This requires optimization. First thing to usually go are the graphics cause nobody wants to touch the gameplay. This is what is happening with Vita games. The reason RE:R2 runs so poorly and non native res is that Vita is not powerful enough to push that game logic and those graphics. Now the game could had been further downgraded. There is still a lot of extra detail that could had been simplified in order to run better.

Now they could had also simplified the logic of the game. This requires expertise (Bluepoint comes to mind), Is expensive and requires loads of smart coding and time, Not every developer is able to do it.

Borderlands 2 still looked good. The game should had been downgraded further in order to reach the required frame rate (perhaps let go of pixelshading outlines)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well its not like he didn't try and its not like SE is ignoring the Vita. The Type-0 salt was overflowing due to how SE was ignoring the vita even after really good sales of FFX-HD.

Remember when SE promised FFXII hd if FFX hd sold well enough?

L.O.R.D

At least he made Type-0 on Vita happen!

right?

Type 0 is running good on my vita , no it not remote play from PS4 , its the PSP game it self

CRJik_tWoAAigzc.jpg

CRJil80WIAApJ45.jpg

i just need to adjust the second analog stick to use it as camera

eqI6dH9.jpg

Dynamite Fishing - World Games PS4 - Phone port of game that was probably pretty boring on a phone made more boring on PS4. Doing nothing but blowing up fish was fun for about 10 seconds. Nope.

g9Y9gNh.jpg

Onigirl PS4 - I am not a MMORPG expert but I am pretty sure this is total crap. The tutorial is like 2 minutes of here is the attack button with no explanation of anything else. Obvious PC port with a terrible interface. Nauseating slide show performance with ugly everything. Hell no.

nN7EVvW.jpg

Rally Copters Vita - This game is simple racing around a track but the unique helicopter feel makes it unique. Very RC Motorstorm. Fun to get better times. Could use more levels. Runs well on Vita. Pricey at $13. Get it when it goes on sale.

Where are your Vita games, NISA? Seriously, I'm going to be so pissed if I won't see Operation Babel, Stranger of the Sword City, Night Watch or Hero Must Die in 2016.

I've been saying this in the thread as well. It's seriously weird they have nothing else announced for 2016.

It sucks too. I normally rely on them to pad out my Vita buying schedule.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, what is this garbage?

Recently got a new 64gb card, and now I'm trying to download stuff and I keep getting error np-9978-3.

As a computer tech with vast hardware and software tear-down experience, I can assure you it'll run anything currently ported at 30fps with proper coding. The problem is with how they port the games, engine availability (and quality due to bad coding), time taken to code (usually limited by money), and coding ability.

I agree on your point that a lot of it has to do with how well documented or supported the engines are, but the lazy/low skilled programmers argument to me sound like pure speculations.

Well a game consists of two things. Logics and Graphics. Developers have to balance out both in order to achieve the required framerate. So in order to port a game the first thing that is ported is the logic. This is the base of how the game plays. Next comes graphics. So the device should be able to push the logic of the game with the required graphics at 30fps. This requires optimization. First thing to usually go are the graphics cause nobody wants to touch the gameplay. This is what is happening with Vita games. The reason RE:R2 runs so poorly and non native res is that Vita is not powerful enough to push that game logic and those graphics. Now the game could had been further downgraded. There is still a lot of extra detail that could had been simplified in order to run better.

Now they could had also simplified the logic of the game. This requires expertise (Bluepoint comes to mind), Is expensive and requires loads of smart coding and time, Not every developer is able to do it.

Borderlands 2 still looked good. The game should had been downgraded further in order to reach the required frame rate (perhaps let go of pixelshading outlines)

Thank you for some great reading. Couldn't one of the problems with porting be that you, before you even started the project, have a finished product made for hardware with higher specs in mind. What I'm trying to say is that instead of having to solve every problem in a chronological order at the time of creation you are limited to work on an already finished code that isn't even yours to begin with.

I fully agree that the black contours feels unnecessary for the Vita version and at the same time I fully understand their decision. I'm not sure how the contours in BL2 are made but if I'd guess I'd say that it's made by creating a simplified black mesh that is a little bigger than the textured object/enemy and that uses back face culling and inverted normals (so the only thing you see are the inside of that object). If it in fact work like this that should require at least some added computation for each object.

What I dont realy understand though, that you might now, is why so many games have crappy animations (not talking about soft body physics), is animation really that demanding?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What I dont realy understand though, that you might now, is why so many games have crappy animations (not talking about soft body physics), is animation really that demanding?

Try animating shit by hand. You should have your answer pretty fast.

I agree on your point that a lot of it has to do with how well documented or supported the engines are, but the lazy/low skilled programmers argument to me sound like pure speculations.

So you're saying that if they had given Resident Evil: Revelations 2 or Borderlands 2 to Guerrilla Cambridge for the same amount of time they couldn't have made it work better?

I highly doubt that.

The level of coding ability the programmers have is a huge factor in all Vita projects. Anyone can muddle through and code a game (you saw PSMobile, right?), not everyone codes efficiently or elegantly with regards to resources.

Massa

So you're saying that if they had given Resident Evil: Revelations 2 or Borderlands 2 to Guerrilla Cambridge for the same amount of time they couldn't have made it work better?

I highly doubt that.

The level of coding ability the programmers have is a huge factor in all Vita projects. Anyone can muddle through and code a game (you saw PSMobile, right?), not everyone codes efficiently or elegantly with regards to resources.

Of course talent comes into play, but the main difference here is budget. Guerrilla Cambridge didn't make a wonderful game just because they're talented, they also had a team of 60 people working on it for more than 3 years. The problem with most Vita projects is that this kind of budget is just not doable, you're guaranteed to lose money if you spend that much.

PS Mobile games by definition can't perform as well as games that use the native API. Nothing to do with the programmer's abilities.

Of course talent comes into play, but the main difference here is budget. Guerrilla Cambridge didn't make a wonderful game just because they're talented, they also had a team of 60 people working on it for more than 3 years. The problem with most Vita projects is that this kind of budget is just not doable, you're guaranteed to lose money if you spend that much.

You get what you pay for, talent included

I'm not saying it wouldn't be more expensive for someone else (better) to port these games, just that all these games with issues could have run well if properly coded - they weren't, so they suffer.

Has nothing to do with the power of the Vita, other than more resource overhead would make it easier for sloppy coders to put out fully working products.

PS Mobile games by definition can't perform as well as games that use the native API. Nothing to do with the programmer's abilities.

I just meant a lot of PSMobile games are coded by first time coders who are bad at it and still get their game to "work", ie; anyone can code a game.

Duster

My Vita isn't coming out of sleep mode properly when left overnight (it seems fine if I return to it within the hour), when I hit power the blue light comes on but nothing else happens.

This has only started happening since the last update, is that a coincidence, a known problem prior to the update or is my Vita on the way out?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place but since the Vita thread has gone this seemed the best place to ask).

My Vita isn't coming out of sleep mode properly when left overnight (it seems fine if I return to it within the hour), when I hit power the blue light comes on but nothing else happens.

This has only started happening since the last update, is that a coincidence, a known problem prior to the update or is my Vita on the way out?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place but since the Vita thread has gone this seemed the best place to ask).

Haven't heard about anything like this being a common occurrence, however a hard reset and a database repair go a long way with most software issues.

If it persists after both of those, it might be hardware-related.

Massa

You get what you pay for, talent included

I'm not saying it wouldn't be more expensive for someone else (better) to port these games, just that all these games with issues could have run well if properly coded - they weren't, so they suffer.

Has nothing to do with the power of the Vita, other than more resource overhead would make it easier for sloppy coders to put out fully working products.

With limited time and budget even the best coders in the world would have a hard time in some situations. EA DICE has some of the most talented programmers in the industry and they still put out terrible ports for Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox One.

The problem with Vita is that it's much less powerful than some of the platforms it gets ports from, so the feasibility of those projects depends highly on the original codebase as well as time and money available.

I wouldn't call people working on these games "sloppy" when the number of variables involved is unfamiliar to anyone outside the project. Judge games and products, don't judge the people involved from a position of ignorance.

Redhood

With limited time and budget even the best coders in the world would have a hard time in some situations. EA DICE has some of the most talented programmers in the industry and they still put out terrible ports for Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox One.

The problem with Vita is that it's much less powerful than some of the platforms it gets ports from, so the feasibility of those projects depends highly on the original codebase as well as time and money available.

I wouldn't call people working on these games "sloppy" when the number of variables involved is unfamiliar to anyone outside the project. Judge games and products, don't judge the people involved from a position of ignorance.

I would say this is a simple case of you get what you pay for! Had bluepoint been hired I dare you that RE:R2 port would had run like smooth butter.

Hell they ported Flower to Vita. A game that was a graphical showcase on PS3. The game ran awesome and looks good (although not native res)

Try animating shit by hand. You should have your answer pretty fast.

I'm playing, and liking, Ar Nosurge at the moment and it doesn't seem to use keyframing at all during the conversation parts. This is ok but there are games out there that almost feels like they see "gimble lock" as an effect to enhance the animation ;)

I highly doubt that.

Guerilla camebridge are awesome and I really like KZ:M but they built a smaller killzone with their own engine. I doubt they'd manage to make a flawless KZ2 or 3 port for the Vita.

For all I know We don't know if nihilistic had bad programmers, the only thing we know is that they made 2 sub par games in a really short time.

On another topic look at the gameplay in the order 1886, as I see it it's no coincidence that they managed to make the game stunningly beautiful as they are used to working on limited specs(PSP). Neither is it that surprising to see them make the game a little to simplistic when it comes to the gameplay and systems. This is not because their programmers lack of skill but because they're used to create games on simpler hardware.

I imagine porting to be the hardest thing to do in game programming.

RE revolution 2 might have run better if they made the engine for the Vita, from what I've read the first game looked and ran perfectly fine on the 3ds. Maybe online MP is to blame?

This.

Powwa

How do you know that it's not because of the hardware limitations (i.e lack of RAM). Have you read any of the articles out there where people are describing their problems with porting games to the Vita.
As I see it it's crazy how Iron Galaxy managed to get BL2 to run at all on the limited specs of the Vita.

I mean I'm no expert in that case but like others have said I know that talent and the size of the developer makes a whole lot of difference. On top of that we have some games to compare it to; Uncharted: GA, Killzone: Mercenary, DR: Another Episode, Toukiden all looks great and plays great. While these are not ports it goes to show that Vita definitely can handle games with better graphics and fps.

daxy

Does the download list on the web/PC PS store actually work? I'm adding stuff to my download queue there, but it's not appearing on my Vita.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As expected it looks good(surprisingly girls are the worst looking element), i hope it's not heavy on fanservice.

Loudninja

Astraea Coming to PS4
Hello everyone, my name is Brandyn, and I’m the lead developer of Astraea. We are very excited to announce that Astraea will be coming to PS4 in early 2016! It’s an open-ended multiplayer sandbox game that allows you to build a town, run a farm, and make lots of friends. We will be showing off Astraea on PS4 for the first time ever at the Central Canada Comic Con this October. Our booth will feature exclusive PS4 gameplay with split screen co-op mode!
Astraea is about giving players the freedom to design their own towns by allowing buildings/structures/objects to be constructed wherever the player would like. When you’re not constructing your town, interact with the villagers to see their energy level and overall happiness, decorate your home, or even go shopping in the capital! In Astraea, both you and the villagers will be able to plant/harvest crops, raise farm animals, participate in activities and more. Relax in your town by spending the day fishing on a boat or docks, riding around on horseback, etc.

Another unique feature of Astraea is the ability to create and play mini-games in your town. A few examples of mini-games are: archery, racing, and fishing tournaments. You can invite your friends to enter your town to compete and play these mini-games. Astraea was designed to be an open ended game, so don’t feel rushed when creating your town and let your imagination soar!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/14/astraea-coming-to-ps4/

Top Bottom