• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

I mean I'm no expert in that case but like others have said I know that talent and the size of the developer makes a whole lot of difference. On top of that we have some games to compare it to; Uncharted: GA, Killzone: Mercenary, DR: Another Episode, Toukiden all looks great and plays great. While these are not ports it goes to show that Vita definitely can handle games with better graphics and fps.

Me neither but I do think that it's different and more taxing for the hardware to keep track of bigger instances with a lot of enemies (i know i know, only four or six enemies at the time) than smaller "corridors" (I don't know much about level streaming though).

Kenka Bancho 7 Uppers:

adBJeDQ.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/15090766.html

My worst case scenario is if it actually turns out to be a fantastic game ;)

autoduelist

Well I actually have Jak and Daxter and I finished all 3 games on Vita.

Problem I have here is that Vita could handle better graphics and better fps. The port isn't bad because of the limitations of the hardware, Sony just found the cheapest company to port it and didn't care about the rest.

I'm just disappointed to see Sony doing the same mistakes over and over again.

/rant off

Does Sony choose who ports RE?

As a computer tech with vast hardware and software tear-down experience, I can assure you it'll run anything currently ported at 30fps with proper coding. The problem is with how they port the games, engine availability (and quality due to bad coding), time taken to code (usually limited by money), and coding ability.

Well, yes, I'd say you hit the three main points -- time, money, ability.

But while you hinted at it with the engine availability, a major element can be the quality/documentation of the original code. A small team with a small budget trying to optimize bad code they didn't write in the first place is a nightmarish situation... whereas if the original code is clean, documented, and easy to read it can be much easier.

Clean code, for example, might have many of the most important optimization chokepoints nicely laid out as easily changeable constants [ie, enemy_count = 10 or whatever], whereas spaghetti code can have piles of hidden interdependencies, badly named variables/procedures, hacked in 'fixes' placed in obscure functions for other badly written functions...

I've seen [non-gaming] codebases that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole w/o a hearty budget and a straight forward and honest recommendation to the client they'd be better off starting from scratch.

I agree on your point that a lot of it has to do with how well documented or supported the engines are, but the lazy/low skilled programmers argument to me sound like pure speculations.

Thank you for some great reading. Couldn't one of the problems with porting be that you, before you even started the project, have a finished product made for hardware with higher specs in mind. What I'm trying to say is that instead of having to solve every problem in a chronological order at the time of creation you are limited to work on an already finished code that isn't even yours to begin with.

What I dont realy understand though, that you might now, is why so many games have crappy animations (not talking about soft body physics), is animation really that demanding?

I don't think he meant the skill of the coders as 'speculation' so much as simply listing it as a factor -- and it is a factor, for sure. Not all coders are created equal.

To answer your second question, it really depends on too many factors not transparent to us. As someone points out later in the thread, if you have a super powerful machine, you do not necessarily need to 'optimize'.

That is, say you're running SpaceGame on PS4 -- you can have ugly, atrocious, terribly optimized code but the PS4 has enough ram and power to simply power through it and run it at 60fps.Then you try to port it to Vita, where suddenly the obscenely unoptimized codebase hits you in the face like a ton of bricks.

A simple example -- say the game was capable of simply loading all assets at the very beginning of the game on PS4. This would actually be quite nice, and it would even make sense - now all levels and restarts can be near instant. But doing so required, say, 3 gigs of RAM. And now you're on Vita... and you don't have those resources available. You've now got to figure out how to intelligently load assets into a game originally coded w/o even thinking about this issue. It's not that the original coders were 'bad' in this case -- they simply had options available to them that are not possible on the Vita, which creates a serious issue for the porters trying to jury rig a solution into an already completed codebase.

Or, say the code to display 'realistic' explosions is a physics monster and simply brings the Vita to a halt. Do you optimize the code? Remove it? Rewrite it from scratch?

You get what you pay for, talent included

I'm not saying it wouldn't be more expensive for someone else (better) to port these games, just that all these games with issues could have run well if properly coded - they weren't, so they suffer.

Has nothing to do with the power of the Vita, other than more resource overhead would make it easier for sloppy coders to put out fully working products.

While true, it's not always sloppy coding. As mentioned above, there are definitely cases where you simply don't need to concern yourself with certain things if you have the power... because you have the power. Few coders optimize and clean up their code simply because they can -- they wait till they need to, because they've got other things to work on.

RK128

That looks like a really fun beat-em-up :D! Very colorful, cartoony and it having a lot of charm from the images. Thank you for sharing this Takao and I will put this with the list of other Vita games I hope come over to the west at some point in the future :).

I haven't been playing my Vita in a while sadly (been focusing on college work and playing a lot of Skylanders Swap-Force; got it at a very good price and I got really hooked into it :D!), but I plan on going back to Mega Man Legends, Spyro 2, Broken Age and other games I want to play on my Vita today :).

Benedict

How do I buy Destiny The Taken King if I only have vanilla Destiny on US PSN?
It says: Not available for Purchase on the Legendary Edition at PSN, because I already own Destiny.
I have no DLC previously.

What's my best option?

RK128

How do I buy Destiny The Taken King if I only have vanilla Destiny on US PSN?
It says: Not available for Purchase on the Legendary Edition at PSN, because I already own Destiny.
I have no DLC previously.

What's my best option?

Mmm.....it should be an option on PSN, as they stated you could get TTK content if you own the original game for 30-40 bucks.

I don't know how to help you, as I'm not a huge fan of Destiny, but try searching through PSN to find the right thing to purchase to upgrade to TTK.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help you and I hope you enjoy the game whenever you get it :).

Benedict

Mmm.....it should be an option on PSN, as they stated you could get TTK content if you own the original game for 30-40 bucks.

I don't know how to help you, as I'm not a huge fan of Destiny, but try searching through PSN to find the right thing to purchase to upgrade to TTK.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help you and I hope you enjoy the game whenever you get it :).

The Destiny Expansion Pass is available for $34.99.
But I don't know what the price for Taken King will be after I buy the Expansion Pass.
I'm afraid it might be total over the price for the Legendary Edition, which is $59.99.

keezy

Is anybody having issues buying things on the Playstation Store?

Trying to pre-order Battlefront/Fallout 4 and I keep getting errors during checkout.

To answer your second question, it really depends on too many factors not transparent to us. As someone points out later in the thread, if you have a super powerful machine, you do not necessarily need to 'optimize'.

That is, say you're running SpaceGame on PS4 -- you can have ugly, atrocious, terribly optimized code but the PS4 has enough ram and power to simply power through it and run it at 60fps.Then you try to port it to Vita, where suddenly the obscenely unoptimized codebase hits you in the face like a ton of bricks.

A simple example -- say the game was capable of simply loading all assets at the very beginning of the game on PS4. This would actually be quite nice, and it would even make sense - now all levels and restarts can be near instant. But doing so required, say, 3 gigs of RAM. And now you're on Vita... and you don't have those resources available. You've now got to figure out how to intelligently load assets into a game originally coded w/o even thinking about this issue. It's not that the original coders were 'bad' in this case -- they simply had options available to them that are not possible on the Vita, which creates a serious issue for the porters trying to jury rig a solution into an already completed codebase.

Or, say the code to display 'realistic' explosions is a physics monster and simply brings the Vita to a halt. Do you optimize the code? Remove it? Rewrite it from scratch?

Once again we're on the same page and once again your verbal skills are superior.

Saphirax

Is anybody having issues buying things on the Playstation Store?

Trying to pre-order Battlefront/Fallout 4 and I keep getting errors during checkout.

I keep getting errors when trying to buy stuff via the webstore. However buying directly from my PS4/Vita works fine. Keep getting 'commerce isn't available in your region' error.

Chuy

The Destiny Expansion Pass is available for $34.99.
But I don't know what the price for Taken King will be after I buy the Expansion Pass.
I'm afraid it might be total over the price for the Legendary Edition, which is $59.99.
It'll be $35 + $40 for the expansion and taken king.
I would suggest asking in the destiny OT as they might have the answer.
I know the pain though. Bought the game digitally but had to the legendary edition physically to get the expansion codes then I sold the physical copy to recoup.

To me it's sad to wait every week for famitsu just to realize that almost every vita game's main focus is breasts (and this week was no exception).

I've heard a lot about how people in japan mainly play their games on the train, does this mean that it's common to see people play all these rubbing girls games in public?

N° 2048

Yeah, the NA branch has been silent about this and it's made it a bit confusing.

They're silent about everything. When I have a question, I have to ask the EU branch stuff on Twitter since the NA one never replies to me.

Thanks guys, always so fast with replies :)

YESSS, Destiny was so smooth via remote play. So stoked!

VLiberty

SARPBC is eating all of my PS3's time.

I want to finish Sonic 4-2 and Fuse and the other shitload of backlogged games but no way, every time I turn my PS3 on, whatever I want to play, I'll end up booting SARPBC.

Tizoc

SARPBC is eating all of my PS3's time.

I want to finish Sonic 4-2 and Fuse and the other shitload of backlogged games but no way, every time I turn my PS3 on, whatever I want to play, I'll end up booting SARPBC.

Sonic 4-2 isn't worth it >_>;

everyone go check your emails and rsvp for ifi's press event in december

For seriously? Amg. Makai Shin Trillion here I come!

Seriously though, awesome. Maybe some XSEED announcements tomorrow and then some IFI stuff in December. NISA, where the hell are you at?

Vylash

Yeah, I replied to that post of his :p

That just... doesn't make sense to me. Have they lost some staff or something?
they don't have much to do after losing idea factory and gust, and nis don't put out games frequently enough themselves, honestly they need to get into visual novels asap

Shizuka

they don't have much to do after losing idea factory and gust, and nis don't put out games frequently enough themselves, honestly they need to get into visual novels asap

I think they need a new japanese partner to tap into its catalogue. Unfortunately, there aren't that many missing at this point. If NISA was aggressive enough, they'd secure a tighter deal with Spike Chunsoft and bring more games, like Exist Archive, Grand Kingdom, Kenka Bancho, etc.

NISA is busy releasing all the japanese games in Europe

or at least 80% of them

Yeah, that's what they seem to be doing, their European distribution lineup has increased loads since the past few years.

But still, they seemed to employ a decent amount of translators. What are they all working on? I know they've had 3 games recent out/coming out, but they must've been finished a while, plus presumably a person translating the extra parts of Hundred Knight for the Japanese release.

That's no more workload than previous years, and they've managed to get 3 games out in Q1 during 2015 and 2014.

:(

I thought this would be for the best. TK to do Gust games; IFI to do Compile Heart games and NISA free to chase all means of other stuff.

Not NISA drying up on localization efforts. That's the worst possible outcome.

They seem friendly with Kadokawa and they have a working relationship with Spike Chunsoft. Go after more stuff there!

And yeah on the VN's. I thought we'd see some movement on that since it was April when they said they were going to try more.

Vylash

the problem is that due to the current localization friendly climate we have, there aren't a ton of jp devs that don't have some form of partnership with localization companies, if this happened during the ps2 era it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but i honestly believe nisa is in serious trouble if they don't start doing visual novels or increase their anime output

Nightbird

Okay Guys, help me please!

I really want to buy a new Vita Game but i don't know what. I want a funny game i can pick up and play for a short session whenever i want for a maximum of 20 Bucks :/

Are there some Games that fullfill those requirements (or at least some of them?)

I really want to buy a new Vita Game but i don't know what. I want a funny game i can pick up and play for a short session whenever i want for a maximum of 20 Bucks :/

Are there some Games that fullfill those requirements (or at least some of them?)

Which games do you like this far?

Nightbird

Which games do you like this far?

Usually i'm a big Fan of Jrpg's, Visual Novels or in general very story driven Games. But i'm feeling a big fatigue of all those.

I have currently more fun playing Hatsune Miku and little smartphone games than going trough Danganronpa again. I also tried to play Metal Gear and FFVII for the first time, but currently i can't enjoy those either.

I hope this was helpful :/

Flunkie

Banned
Just got to Chapter 4 in Danganronpa 2. Everything that's been building up so far in this game better be worth it, because the trials are slogging along.

Go for Spelunky! Can't go wrong there.

Been playing Super Meat Boy...just got the "I'm A Golden God!" trophy.

At 4367 deaths right now.

Beat Chapter 1 light world without dying. I'll try the dark work and maybe Chapter 2 but other than that, I don't expect to get the other trophies lol.

Always loved hard ass games like these. Felt good to play this again.

AniHawk

Yeah, I replied to that post of his :p

That just... doesn't make sense to me. Have they lost some staff or something?

they always do their press event in february. there will be stuff for 2016 beyond witch. with rodea and danganronpa (and operation abyss), i think they're moving away from the moe image.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
they always do their press event in february. there will be stuff for 2016 beyond witch. with rodea and danganronpa (and operation abyss), i think they're moving away from the moe image.

Ironic considering they were part of the ones who suggested Exp Inc to add in moe artwork to the XBO Stranger of Sword City.

Parakeetman

i thought sosc was a moe game now though

At least the artwork is able to be switched back to the original. Though its sounding like there will be small changes to some events in the script.

Considering the XBO version is still on track for the Western release most def will be better to market the old artwork over the newer one.

Usually i'm a big Fan of Jrpg's, Visual Novels or in general very story driven Games. But i'm feeling a big fatigue of all those.

I have currently more fun playing Hatsune Miku and little smartphone games than going trough Danganronpa again. I also tried to play Metal Gear and FFVII for the first time, but currently i can't enjoy those either.

I hope this was helpful :/

I'll guess that you've allready played steins;gate?

If you like puzzle games: the swapper

If you like strategy games: frozen synapse or natural Doctrine

If you like action games: soul sacrifice delta, toukiden or freedom wars

If you like shorter games,have self distance and are not depressed in any way: actual sunlight

If you haven't played the swindle: give it a shot

If you like space simulators: starlight Inception

Edit:everything can be played in short sessions on the vita!

Parakeetman

Been playing Super Meat Boy...just got the "I'm A Golden God!" trophy.

At 4367 deaths right now.

Beat Chapter 1 light world without dying. I'll try the dark work and maybe Chapter 2 but other than that, I don't expect to get the other trophies lol.

Always loved hard ass games like these. Felt good to play this again.

You should go play the prinny games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZunxAuCXM

Parakeetman

plz happen.

At this point in time seeing how Exp Inc wants to do self publishing on the XBO with the game, Id have to wonder / if the Vita version will even be announced anywhere near it. Otherwise it would eat into the potential sales of the XBO version.

Yes its 2 different platforms, but its a niche title.

AniHawk

At least the artwork is able to be switched back to the original. Though its sounding like there will be small changes to some events in the script.

Considering the XBO version is still on track for the Western release most def will be better to market the old artwork over the newer one.

aren't they also pushing to change the name to 'previously unmet person from blade town'?

Top Bottom