• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
aren't they also pushing to change the name to 'previously unmet person from blade town'?

Dont think so. Will have to see which they go with closer to release. But know that one of the considerations is Stranger of Sword City, just due to the brand recognition at this point. That and it doesnt sound like Engrish like with whoever came up with "The Stranger of The Village of The Sword" good luck getting that shit to fit on a game cover.

Wait who is pushing for the name change? NISA or Exp Inc?

Since if its NISA I have no idea what they are doing at this point.

AniHawk

Dont think so. Will have to see which they go with closer to release. But know that one of the considerations is Stranger of Sword City, just due to the brand recognition at this point. That and it doesnt sound like Engrish like with whoever came up with "The Stranger of The Village of The Sword" good luck getting that shit to fit on a game cover.

Wait who is pushing for the name change? NISA or Exp Inc?

Since if its NISA I have no idea what they are doing at this point.

you don't think it just rolls off the tongue?

Jtg8pPY.jpg

alternatively:
nbBCWje.jpg

also, i was joking.

Parakeetman

i was joking

lol great pic. that font reminds me of generic MMO x 9178658934792 all its missing is random explosions in the background for added dramatic effect. need to figure out a way to add that overly long title into the next OT.

With all that aside, still really do wonder what the overall situation is now that we know they have already announced the XBO version first. Which is in a projected window from Jan. - March. And from what you say the NISA announcements are usually in Feb. which is what puts up the concern about the issue with sales and whatnots.

Still wonder what Bandai Namco is doing with Ray Gigant, since they are the ones who would decide who to work with for localization, if they do not decide to publish it themselves. But seeing how there has been no announcements of an "Asian English" version kinda takes hopes away from self publishing with them on that. Which makes me wonder if NISA has tried to reach out to them on it seeing how they had localized Time & Eternity which was a Bandai Namco title. With how there is a digital soundtrack available, can see NISA doing physical versions of it for the added bonus. Plus localizing the title at this time gives them access to the demo version and extra added content from the title update.

Since if they had that title at least it could help with the delay of SoSC in the event if they are doing / got delayed with the Vita version due to the potential XBO situation explained before. Outside of that even here in Japan its not like NIS is really producing titles at all that fast of a pace. Since we already know about WatHK, Yomawari would be the next unannounced title. Hero Must Die also is another smaller title, though its not out in Japan yet. Same with CG2. Then further out there is the DRPG game they are working on Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain.

AniHawk

coven looks like a more standard nis title, while night watch looks like firefly diary in size. i think those are both more likely than hero must die, which is a real oddball in just what it is.

i'd be surprised if criminal girls 2 happened, to be honest.

Parakeetman

coven looks like a more standard nis title, while night watch looks like firefly diary in size. i think those are both more likely than hero must die, which is a real oddball in just what it is.

Im still curious to see how HMD will do in Japan. Only reason why Im going to pick it up is due to Kurosawa Tetsu doing the artwork.

Its kinda interesting now the climate for the localization of games from Japan as seems like each group has its own little factions then you have breakaway ones like what happened with Idea Factory who are going out on their own. Then seems that Experience Inc is experimenting with that idea also for the XBO digital version of SoSC. But thats for titles they do themselves more. As ones under different publishers such as Mages, Bandai Namco, Kadokawa all of the business side of things is dealt with through them.

Which is why Id imagine NISA will be doing Demon Gaze 2. Should have added that into the previous post. Am curious as to what the timeframe for DG2 will be.

Just ordered a new 60 inch Sony TV, the KDL60W850B model, I wonder how some PS TV stuff will look in such a big screen.

At this point in time seeing how Exp Inc wants to do self publishing on the XBO with the game, Id have to wonder / if the Vita version will even be announced anywhere near it. Otherwise it would eat into the potential sales of the XBO version.

Yes its 2 different platforms, but its a niche title.

I'm never going to buy a Xbone, so it's going to be super disappointing if they only localize that version in the west.

Shizuka

What's Coven?

Parakeetman

I'm never going to buy a Xbone, so it's going to be super disappointing if they only localize that version in the west.

Seda said the same thing too.

What's Coven?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Coven+and+the+Labyrinth+of+Refrain

They have not updated the JP page yet. Most recent info on it came out in last weeks issue of Dengeki Magazine. So basically if you were to find any pictures on the net they would be scans. Makes you wonder a bit about the game itself if they do not even have the website ready when the game is supposed to go live end of Jan 2016.

Game looks like it could be decent though from what I saw in the dengeki issue. Since at least it seems to use a 5 character party system.

AniHawk

They have not updated the JP page yet. Most recent info on it came out in last weeks issue of Dengeki Magazine. So basically if you were to find any pictures on the net they would be scans. Makes you wonder a bit about the game itself if they do not even have the website ready when the game is supposed to go live end of Jan 2016.

Game looks like it could be decent though from what I saw in the dengeki issue. Since at least it seems to use a 5 character party system.

i think the game being vita only is a death knell for its localization chances. they'll have to port it to ps4 or steam for it to have a shot over here. the harada artwork makes me think it's one of their most serious efforts - they tend to only use him for bigger titles.

Parakeetman

i think the game being vita only is a death knell for its localization chances. they'll have to port it to ps4 or steam for it to have a shot over here. the harada artwork makes me think it's one of their most serious efforts - they tend to only use him for bigger titles.

From what I saw it looks like they are putting effort into it which is good to see. And yeah thats a good point about the harada artwork.

Guess folks in the West will have to wait for the eventual "G" version that will include more content and be re-released on the PS4 first in Japan lol.

Granted with how there still are titles being localized for the Vita, its an odd contrast to some retailers that seem to be jettisoning Vita related content. Granted its not all, but its not a good sign either. Seeing how Vita title production isnt slowing down in Japan wonder how things will go in the West, as more brick & mortar retailers cut back on the Vita sections. Which is what am guessing is the trend you have talked about in the past when it comes to things slowing down for Vita title localization in the West?

Seda

This might be (will be) a bit awkward but hi, me again.

Parakeet, some of your responses are needlessly flippant and rude, specifically targeted towards Shizuka. I've warned you about this once before, too. In this post quoted, leaving a lone LMGTFY link - before an edit - is pretty insulting to a genuine and honest question. (I personally like to 'ask questions' to other people because that can generate a conversation, whereas an internet search......can't as .... easily.)

In any case, I'm not sure why you engage this way, or even if you realize it, but it's kinda easy to point out other responses you've that make things more contentious than it really should be. Like shooting down opinions if they don't align with yours, silly things like that. It makes things more uncomfortable for everyone.

I know there's always instances where some playful banter comes into the picture, like teasing friends for maybe against-the-grain viewpoints or whatever, but this is a bit past that. Shizuka's grievances appear genuine and it sucks that this has lingered as long as it has (sorry if this is embarrassing, Shizuka)

I apologize for the damper.

Seda said the same thing too.

Yeah, I have nothing against Microsoft or the Xbox One or whatever, but while I'm interested in Stranger of Sword City, I'm not interested enough to purchase another console and figure out how I'm going to coordinate it in my entertainment setup.

Speaking of Coven

Tizoc

Okay Guys, help me please!

I really want to buy a new Vita Game but i don't know what. I want a funny game i can pick up and play for a short session whenever i want for a maximum of 20 Bucks :/

Are there some Games that fullfill those requirements (or at least some of them?)

I'd suggest Brandish but it's not exactly a funny game ^^; It is one of my GotY contenders.

Megaman Legends has some good humor in it.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I have nothing against Microsoft or the Xbox One or whatever, but while I'm interested in Stranger of Sword City, I'm not interested enough to purchase another console and figure out how I'm going to coordinate it in my entertainment setup.

Speaking of Coven

Think the that will be a common issue really with folks who are interested in the game but are not XBO owners. On top of that they have announced it will be digital only adds to making the decision to buy a system just for the game harder. Which is perfectly understandable. More so for folks that are fans of Japanese developed titles at this point in time the system is a bit lacking which also makes impulse purchasing of the system harder for said particular group.

Will have to see how things go after launch as it is going to be interesting to see what kind of market exists for the drpg genre on the system. As up until now there has not been any previously localized I think on the 360. Not sure if the original even had any.

Am hoping it does well though as would show other smaller JP devs there is a market on the XBO also even if its just in the West. Having more JP developed titles would help things out slightly in Japan as some software is better than none.

That and it doing well would allow Exp Inc to continue with the idea of wanting to publish the other planned XBO games in the west. Which what they say will be console exclusives.

Tizoc

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983397390/the-journey-down

The Journey Down is a PnC Adventure game, this KS is for its 3rd episode.
I'm gonna see if they can add a PS4/Vita stretch goal for the entire trilogy, and you guys should ask about it in the comments too.

Note that JD 1 and 2 are available on iOS so if they can run on iPads it should run fine on Vita.
What makes this series interesting is that its presentation is reminiscent of Grim Fandango, but this game is African themed.

Also for PS4GAF, spread the word if you want this game on PS4 :p
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...aurion-legacy-of-the-kori-odan?ref=nav_search

Nightbird

Go for Spelunky! Can't go wrong there.

I'll guess that you've allready played steins;gate?

If you like puzzle games: the swapper

If you like strategy games: frozen synapse or natural Doctrine

If you like action games: soul sacrifice delta, toukiden or freedom wars

If you like shorter games,have self distance and are not depressed in any way: actual sunlight

If you haven't played the swindle: give it a shot

If you like space simulators: starlight Inception

Edit:everything can be played in short sessions on the vita!

thanks for the recommendations, i will look trough those :)

Sure I'm biased and will never buy an XONE, but I think making those games exclusive for it
will be a waste of time and resources, in Japan and in the west.

Will wait for the eventual PS4 port

AniHawk

From what I saw it looks like they are putting effort into it which is good to see. And yeah thats a good point about the harada artwork.

Guess folks in the West will have to wait for the eventual "G" version that will include more content and be re-released on the PS4 first in Japan lol.

Granted with how there still are titles being localized for the Vita, its an odd contrast to some retailers that seem to be jettisoning Vita related content. Granted its not all, but its not a good sign either. Seeing how Vita title production isnt slowing down in Japan wonder how things will go in the West, as more brick & mortar retailers cut back on the Vita sections. Which is what am guessing is the trend you have talked about in the past when it comes to things slowing down for Vita title localization in the West?

vita as a section is almost completely gone anyway. it's really gamestop where there's any dedicated section where you might walk into a store and pick up a physical copy of a new game. most new physical releases are only available on online retailers otherwise.

going forward, it's going to be rare to see a lone vita release. in 2016 i think vita games will come paired with ps4 games. it's probably the last year stores stock platforms in the us and maybe europe. by 2017 the system will be done aside from indies and psn releases of games also out on ps4 (and trails in the sky 2nd chapter).

vita as a section is almost completely gone anyway. it's really gamestop where there's any dedicated section where you might walk into a store and pick up a physical copy of a new game. most new physical releases are only available on online retailers otherwise.

going forward, it's going to be rare to see a lone vita release. in 2016 i think vita games will come paired with ps4 games. it's probably the last year stores stock platforms in the us and maybe europe. by 2017 the system will be done aside from indies and psn releases of games also out on ps4 (and trails in the sky 2nd chapter).

I don't like your realism. :[
I hope we still get a handful of Vita exclusives next year..

I can't imagine many people buy Vita games spontaneously at retail anyway. In Germany (so not that important, but still) I haven't been able to find new Vita games at retail for a while. I think I saw only one copy of Operation Abyss out in the wild, IFI games are already amazon exclusive.

EDIT: Also, are Vita game purchases actually shrinking? WIth no real alternative I'd imagine people are still buying as many Vita games as before.

Parakeetman

Yeah reading the reports about the general decline with Vita sections and big box stores jettisoning stock makes me wonder just how many sales can actually be achieved when its relying on publishers that have their own storefront and amazon alone. That and gamestop too like you mentioned. With the greater demand also for PS4 titles can most def see the JP devs focusing efforts a bit more on PS4 / PSV releases while other companies that are not exactly planning on Western localization will continue to do what they do on the Vita. If someone picks it up good / if not no sweat off their backs.

Though the stark contrast between the West and Japan with the Vita has been quite interesting to watch. Lately too the situation with some indie devs either dropping planned Vita support or having projects delayed too is another separate existing situation the system has in the West.

---

Seems like one of the JP gaming sites got some new info on Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain with screenshots also that vid that Seda linked.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/10/15/92083.html

These look like different pics from the Dengeki ones, as it shows more of the rear guard stuff and not the 5 character screenshots for the party in the dungeon which is what mostly was in the famitsu and only had 1 pic of the rearguard stuff I think. Trying to find where my copy went.

*Ok I see what it is, had made a mistake earlier from the Dengeki issue where it showed what looked to be 5 characters. What that picture is, is the 3 "Player" characters and 2 dolls after looking at it closer. So even dolls their portraits will be normal sized as the "Coven" (player characters) when in small numbers. Large numbers of dolls will turn into what we see with the screenshots available with the smaller portraits.

Talk about coincidence as they updated the site in the afternoon today. Earlier it still was the "teaser" version that just had a bunch of floating text and the game logo

http://nippon1.jp/consumer/refrain/

CrovaxPSO

Oh, and I didn't forget EXP. I wish they'd release more than one game per year, though.

This year they put out Stranger of Sword City on the Vita, Operation Babel, and Ray Gigant. To be fair SoSC was a port and Babel a remake, but that's still pretty good for a small developer.

AniHawk

I can't imagine many people buy Vita games spontaneously at retail anyway. In Germany (so not that important, but still) I haven't been able to find new Vita games at retail for a while. I think I saw only one copy of Operation Abyss out in the wild, IFI games are already amazon exclusive.

EDIT: Also, are Vita game purchases actually shrinking? WIth no real alternative I'd imagine people are still buying as many Vita games as before.

not that i have a full picture, but software sales do seem down this year.

yaffi

Strange, I can find all the (recent) Vita releases in my local MM. And I'm not really living in a big town.

not that i have a full picture, but software sales do seem down this year.

I'm going to be the optimist and say that those sales have gone to digital purchases which aren't tracked!

c4jt321.png

Strange, I can find all the (recent) Vita releases in my local MM.

I live in a smaller city, so that might influence things a bit, but the Vita section of my local MM is pretty much non-existent.
I can usually find a single copy at Müller and that's it. I don't visit Gamestop so maybe they have some as well.

EDIT: Well, maybe my MM just sucks :p. It's definitely not easy to find Vita games here. I just buy everything online now.

dex3108

They still didn't release Black Ops 3 PS4 theme for players who played beta with EU/UK account. And who knows when and if they will release it.

yaffi

I live in a smaller city, so that might influence things a bit, but the Vita section of my local MM is pretty much non-existent.
I can usually find a single copy at Müller and that's it. I don't visit Gamestop so maybe they have some as well.

EDIT: Well, maybe my MM just sucks :p. It's definitely not easy to find Vita games here. I just buy everything online now.

Well, GameStop's Vita section is pretty much non-existent over here.

I went to MM yesterday, and they had the Danganronpa's, Abyss, Natural Doctrine, Game we aren't allowed to talk about, Lost Dimension and several more.

The last game I bought from them was Danganronpa 2 a few months ago when even Amazon didn't have any stock.

wilflare

from my part of the world, Vita retail seems to be doing pretty well though.

but then again, I'm from Asia (and a smaller market)

autoduelist

Fred Meyers [a large chain like store] in the Pacific Northwest still has a stocked vita selection. I mean, they even pick up stuff like DT2. Lots of recent stuff, too, like Dancing all Night, whatever.

I buy 98% digital though, and the other 2% is divided between used online and pre-ordering drpgs.

Parakeetman

from my part of the world, Vita retail seems to be doing pretty well though.

but then again, I'm from Asia (and a smaller market)

There seems to be a bit more focus on the Asia market, with how some titles get an English release, but nothing in the West.

Duster

Haven't heard about anything like this being a common occurrence, however a hard reset and a database repair go a long way with most software issues.

If it persists after both of those, it might be hardware-related.

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick.

I have a lot of bubble reorganising to do.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Sorry if it's a little off topic question, but I've been playing FarCry 4 in my console from a friends account and I would like to know that if I buy the game, can I make a copy of the save that I have on that account and use it on mine? Will the trophies be transfered to my account?

Massa

Sorry if it's a little off topic question, but I've been playing FarCry 4 in my console from a friends account and I would like to know that if I buy the game, can I make a copy of the save that I have on that account and use it on mine? Will the trophies be transfered to my account?

That varies on the game but most likely not. Trophies will definitely not transfer over, and you may or may not be able to use the save game.

wilflare

There seems to be a bit more focus on the Asia market, with how some titles get an English release, but nothing in the West.

I just hope they keep bringing the English versions to Asia at least :/
though I would actually love to play the Musou games in Mandarin if they weren't so expensive :/

VLiberty

Earlier today I was playing SARPBC. I ended up beating a guy who then txt'd me not-so-good things - I moved on without even replying.

1/2 an hour ago I was playing again, he entered in my room and played on my side just to score lots of own goals and play for the other team. What a dickhead lol

Top Bottom