• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

IFI is inviting fans to the press event in December
http://ideafintl.com/updates/2015/10/15/2231.html

We need to send spies for the scoops

On December 3rd, 2015 from 6pm-9pm, Iffy is having its 2nd press event ever in San Francisco!

A special guest of honor and Idea Factory International’s CEO, Haru Akenaga will be there to help us announce our titles for the coming year!

But we are also inviting two lucky fans! Meet the IFI Staff and our guests of honor, demo our unannounced titles, and get some exclusive goodies!

To enter, e-mail contest@ideafintl.com and in 200 words or less, tell us why you want to attend!

Two winners will be selected*. Each winner may bring two guests. The venue only allows 21+ years old attendees. Please attach a photo ID proving your age and provide your address in your email. Fake IDs will automatically disqualify entries. Transportation and lodging will not be provided. Contest ends Friday, October 22nd at 10am PDT.

they always do their press event in february. there will be stuff for 2016 beyond witch. with rodea and danganronpa (and operation abyss), i think they're moving away from the moe image.

I know, but they've released games in the first few months of the year every year for a while now, too (like I said before, 3 in 2015 and 3 in 2014). Compared to this year when they've announced 1 game for the first few months of the year which is a game where we know the translation was already finished in September (Japanese release).

If they've really got nothing, something definitely seems different this year, like they've shed some staff or something. Because I have to assume that anything announced in February isn't going to release for at least a few months afterwards (judging by how NISA usually trickle out trailers for upcoming games).

AniHawk

I know, but they've released games in the first few months of the year every year for a while now, too (like I said before, 3 in 2015 and 3 in 2014). Compared to this year when they've announced 1 game for the first few months of the year which is a game where we know the translation was already finished in September (Japanese release).

If they've really got nothing, something definitely seems different this year, like they've shed some staff or something. Because I have to assume that anything announced in February isn't going to release for at least a few months afterwards (judging by how NISA usually trickle out trailers for upcoming games).

from what i understand, they have as many people as they had last year. i just think they thought this year needed to be focused on a few really key titles versus a lot of small ones. 2014-2015 was packed because they didn't have that one megaseller (for them). danganronpa 2 was probably the closest that fit the bill. this year is disgaea 5, danganronpa another episode, and rodea the sky soldier.

i think that 2016-2017 will be more like last year, since there really isn't anything from their home office that screams big hit. not sure what they could localize that would be a big deal either.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
from what i understand, they have as many people as they had last year. i just think they thought this year needed to be focused on a few really key titles versus a lot of small ones. 2014-2015 was packed because they didn't have that one megaseller (for them). danganronpa 2 was probably the closest that fit the bill. this year is disgaea 5, danganronpa another episode, and rodea the sky soldier.

i think that 2016-2017 will be more like last year, since there really isn't anything from their home office that screams big hit. not sure what they could localize that would be a big deal either.

Pretty much out here there has not really been anything too big from them outside of the usual production such as Disgaea, but thats a given. At this point in time its too late to go digging into the PS3 library also with how adverse the West is to PS3 titles now. Then as you mentioned the potential cutback on Vita titles also exists, that and its not like they really have a bunch of stuff on their end which is currently released that would be worth the effort to localize for a tiny audience.

You would know better than I when it comes to what third party (Exp Inc excluded) titles they might be aiming at. Though feels like the general stock of titles that can be grabbed is a lot more slim than what it used to be seeing how all the other Western localization specific pubs have pretty much set up shop with certain JP publishers. And as we both know they cant go grabbing titles at random either as that never goes well.

Oh, and I didn't forget EXP. I wish they'd release more than one game per year, though.

This year they put out Stranger of Sword City on the Vita, Operation Babel, and Ray Gigant. To be fair SoSC was a port and Babel a remake, but that's still pretty good for a small developer.

As Crovax said and to take that even further

General number of titles released on all platforms in Japan.
  • 2016 = 2 titles (that we already know about slated for 2016)
  • 2015 = 3 titles
  • 2014 = 4 titles
  • 2013 = 2 titles
  • 2012 = 1 title
  • 2011 = 3 titles
  • 2010 = 2 titles
  • 2009 = 1 title
  • 2008 = 2 titles
*regardless of being ports or not, a release is still a release.

Considering most folks were unfamiliar with the company since 2013, Id have to say the data has little meaning past 2013. That and 2013 is where the company stepped out into the spotlight a bit thanks to Demon Gaze.

If you are talking about localized efforts, that is not something which is their responsibility for the 2 released titles. As up until their recent announcement of wanting to do SoSC on the XBO via self publishing, the other 2 games Operation Abyss and Demon Gaze was the responsibility of talks between NISA & MAGES (OA) / Kadokawa. (DG). Out of the more recent releases the only title that was their own as self published was SoSC. Ray Gigant is Bandai Namco, so same situation of where a Western Pub will have to talk directly to them if they want the game and not Exp Inc.

With the 2 known upcoming titles for 2016 - SoR 2 (title pending) is said to be a MS XBO exclusive and DG 2 will be published by Kadokawa again.

For DG2 would like to imagine that NISA is already in talks about bringing it over with how well the first game did. Since it would be nice for a shorter wait for the Western fans with the localization if things are already progressing with talks for securing the title. And if the game comes out next year in the West also, that already is 2 Exp Inc developed titles that will be out in the West. Granted different platforms of course.

Saphirax

How foolish would it be to hope for localizations of more otome games for the vita from IFI's press conference in December? D:

Parakeetman

Define "well". Really hard to say what the expectations are for that kind of game.

It sold about 8k on Steam.

Id imagine something reasonable would at least be in the 50k range total (as in all platforms combined).

You would think the numbers would have been a bit higher on Steam, though seeing how Steam at the same time is so bloated with garbage unless you know what you are searching for that doesnt help things too for lesser know titles.

You would think the numbers would have been a bit higher on Steam, though seeing how Steam at the same time is so bloated with garbage unless you know what you are searching for that doesnt help things too for lesser know titles.

Yeah I don't think a game with an audience as specific as Amnesia would benefit from being featured on the Steam front-page or something..
Most people that want the game are probably able to find it

autoduelist

Anyone else have backgammon and feel like playing? There are a few online trophies but really I just want to play some games anyway.

Also finally ready to play some [insert hunting game here]... I think some of us decided on trying to get Freedom Wars going?

Dawg

I can't buy anything on the EU store anymore. Keep getting a transaction error even though I'm 100% sure my CC info is correct. Even tried a second card. Same issue. I lost my PS+ sub over this... it's been weeks since I was able to buy somthing.

Prelude.

Did Amnesia actually sell well?
Making it digital only, full price (while it was discounted on day one on steam) and releasing it so close to two other Vita otome which are also physical and supposedly a lot better might not have helped.

Also, I think there was some kind of meltdown on twitter about a lot of people pirating it when it released. Maybe. I think it was Amnesia.

Fair enough. I hope the next couple of years are more like the last few years, I enjoyed the constant stream of smaller titles personally.

By the way, do you think Rodea is going to be big for them? There seems to be so little hype surrounding it. I can understand the expectations for DanganRonpa & Disgaea to be bigger titles.

Though feels like the general stock of titles that can be grabbed is a lot more slim than what it used to be seeing how all the other Western localization specific pubs have pretty much set up shop with certain JP publishers. And as we both know they cant go grabbing titles at random either as that never goes well.

That's why I'm hopeful for them picking up Vita stuff while it's still viable.

I seem to remember a while back (although I can't find it now) a quote from someone at NISA saying 3DS/Vita had two more years left in the west. That's... probably the amount of time they need before Japan transfers over completely to PS4/whatever Nintendos next handheld is, so they could start picking up stuff for those then.

Since PS3 seems to be gone for them now (it's not getting the games in Japan in the first place any more really) and PS4 isn't quite there yet - it's getting stuff which gets snapped up by them straight away (Disgaea; W&THK), but otherwise games seem to be Vita exclusive or PS4/Vita.

I'm just surprised they're not handling more of the Vita stuff while they still can. I'm hopeful all the smaller N1 games (Yomawari/Hero Must Die/Coven) have a chance, but there's plenty of other games out there that they could get at while Vita still has some userbase in the west.

Shizuka

How foolish would it be to hope for localizations of more otome games for the vita from IFI's press conference in December? D:

Please don't. I want more otome games, but IFI butchered Amnesia. There were so many typos, mistakes and weirdly-constructed phrases that playing Code Realize makes me want Aksys to handle them all.

Parakeetman

Making it digital only, full price (while it was discounted on day one on steam) and releasing it so close to two other Vita otome which are also physical and supposedly a lot better might not have helped.

Also, I think there was some kind of meltdown on twitter about a lot of people pirating it when it released. Maybe. I think it was Amnesia.

Meltdown on twitter? Interesting.

Saphirax

Please don't. I want more otome games, but IFI butchered Amnesia. There were so many typos, mistakes and weirdly-constructed phrases that playing Code Realize makes me want Aksys to handle them all.
I noticed those as well, but it wasn't that bad. I'd gladly take some typos/mistakes if it meant I could play a game in English.

Was on tumblr as well. Seems like quite a few people were vocal about pirating it.

Parakeetman

Fair enough. I hope the next couple of years are more like the last few years, I enjoyed the constant stream of smaller titles personally.

By the way, do you think Rodea is going to be big for them? There seems to be so little hype surrounding it. I can understand the expectations for DanganRonpa & Disgaea to be bigger titles.

That's why I'm hopeful for them picking up Vita stuff while it's still viable.

I seem to remember a while back (although I can't find it now) a quote from someone at NISA saying 3DS/Vita had two more years left in the west. That's... probably the amount of time they need before Japan transfers over completely to PS4/whatever Nintendos next handheld is, so they could start picking up stuff for those then.

Since PS3 seems to be gone for them now (it's not getting the games in Japan in the first place any more really) and PS4 isn't quite there yet - it's getting stuff which gets snapped up by them straight away (Disgaea; W&THK), but otherwise games seem to be Vita exclusive or PS4/Vita.

I'm just surprised they're not handling more of the Vita stuff while they still can. I'm hopeful all the smaller N1 games (Yomawari/Hero Must Die/Coven) have a chance, but there's plenty of other games out there that they could get at while Vita still has some userbase in the west.

Yeah i remember something similar being mentioned. Though as things continue wonder if they will be going for more digital only releases if the retail scene keeps shrinking for the vita as time goes on. Though the main consumers of such titles seem to prefer physical so perhaps just very limited physical copies will become even more common and not just an Atlus thing lol.

Over here Id imagine the vita will be around till the ps4 gen ends.

I noticed those as well, but it wasn't that bad. I'd gladly take some typos/mistakes if it meant I could play a game in English.

Was on tumblr as well. Seems like quite a few people were vocal about pirating it.

I had totally forgot Aksys even still exists.

Will have to look that up later if the info is still out there.

Shizuka

I get that, but just let Aksys do them all. I'm sure they need more games to work on and they want to keep bringing them to the West.

Prelude.

Good ol' IFI seal of quality.
Yeah, it's almost impossible to find the specific posts at this point since it's several months old but it was basically about how people were "trained" to pirate VNs up until recently because the only translations available were by fan groups.
Sorry to double post, just spotted this:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsi...tle=Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness

Is that a new rating (Deception, the PS1 classic)? I couldn't see it on US PSN but I may have missed it in all the Uncharted 3 DLC.
Yeah, there's a thread about it.

Parakeetman

Good ol' IFI seal of quality.

Yeah, it's almost impossible to find the specific posts at this point since it's several months old but it was basically about how people were "trained" to pirate VNs up until recently because the only translations available were by fan groups.

Considering how I doubt many besides the hardcore shell out the high import price which includes shipping for pc vns wouldnt say the statement is wrong but at the same time not the brightest thing for an offical twitter account to say.

Prelude.

Considering how I doubt many besides the hardcore shell out the high import price which includes shipping for pc vns wouldnt say the statement is wrong but at the same time not the brightest thing for an offical twitter account to say.
It wasn't an official account, it was some guy (that might be working for some localization company maybe? I honesty don't remember since it was all through ryouga saotome retweets) talking about it.

AniHawk

i think it'll be a small surprise. the game had positive buzz upon its reception and was in the top 10 for wii u games in the earlier part of the year. having it delayed twice probably had some folks forget about it, but each time news was released, it tended to jump pretty high up the charts. it's also the last wii game (unless there's more disney/just dance/lego stuff late next year), which is what's probably going to get it some buzz.

the problem about doing a lot of smaller titles is that it's hell on everyone. it's stressful for producers when they either know what they're getting won't do a lot more than break even, and for those who have to tighten schedules and squeeze in tons of projects.

Anyone else have backgammon and feel like playing? There are a few online trophies but really I just want to play some games anyway.

Also finally ready to play some [insert hunting game here]... I think some of us decided on trying to get Freedom Wars going?

I'm interested in some Freedom Wars :)

AniHawk

from what i recalled, ifi 'fans' rallied against certain editors who had higher standards but also had jokes in their games. i believe this was an issue with the title before they had started working with them.

Shizuka

from what i recalled, ifi 'fans' rallied against certain editors who had higher standards but also had jokes in their games. i believe this was an issue with the title before they had started working with them.

Does thatt have to do with shipping a game that didn't have a thorough QA? How did the script got an editing pass with that many typos? That was more related to the Neptunia franchise more than anything else, isn't that right?

Prelude.

I've only played Neptunia Rebirth 1 and that one was full of text out of bounds in the menus. It even had some dungeon names swapped. They just don't care.

Parakeetman

It wasn't an official account, it was some guy (that might be working for some localization company maybe? I honesty don't remember since it was all through ryouga saotome retweets) talking about it.

in that case not as bad, will check up with ryoga on it

Shizuka

Degica and Age are doing wonders with the Muv-Luv Kickstarter. The latest Vita update is that the Vita ports might release at the same time as the PC version in the West.

Parakeetman

I've only played Neptunia Rebirth 1 and that one was full of text out of bounds in the menus. It even had some dungeon names swapped. They just don't care.

Sounds like whoever is on staff in charge of the localization must not be too familiar with the job if stuff like that is happening.

jzbluz

Here are some rants, if people really do want to read them.

http://juungi.tumblr.com/post/127789541772/the-weakest-defense-you-could-possibly-offer-is

http://tenshieffect.tumblr.com/post/127755682958/yumedesuka-just-a-friendly-reminder-that-idea

Id imagine something reasonable would at least be in the 50k range total (as in all platforms combined).

Only UtaPri makes those kind of numbers, granted it's only on one platform, but the otome market is a lot stronger in Japan. I think Amnesia did well in comparison to other VN in steam, although it probably didn't do so well on PSN but that might be IFI's fault.

I get that, but just let Aksys do them all. I'm sure they need more games to work on and they want to keep bringing them to the West.

Otomate has a lot of games so there's no way Aksys can do most of them themselves, plus I want Aksys to license stuff from Karin, Takuyo, Rejet, etc.

Prelude.

i assume this is about the pc version, because its not true for the vita version
Nope, on Vita. Just check the menus and item descriptions.
And some of the swapped dungeons were the Toukiden and the Donkey Kong ones.

It's not a huge deal but it's jarring to see that they never patched them.

AniHawk

i haven't played any of the rebirths, but i know that rebirth 2 had the original editor from mk2 again, and rebirth 1 was a different person.

18-Volt

IFI is inviting fans to the press event in December
http://ideafintl.com/updates/2015/10/15/2231.html

We need to send spies for the scoops

Possible (disappointment): More PC ports, Fairy Fencer 2

Optimistic: PC Ports, Fairy Fencer 2, Tag Team Nep+Blanc vs Zombie Army

Dream: PC Ports, Fairy Fencer 2, Tag Team Nep+Blanc vs Zombie Army, Nepnep vs Sega Hard Girls, Makai Shin Trillion, Death Under the Labyrinth.

After XSEED's today's announcements and NISA's silence, I'm pretty convinced that even the localizers are abandoning Vita. 2016 will be a boring year until NX arrives.

Vylash

fairy fencer f dark advent (not 2, its not a sequel) and neptunia stuff is a given, personally i'm hoping for the date a live console vns and kancolle kai...somebody has to give me kancolle kai

Saphirax

Dream: PC Ports, Fairy Fencer 2, Tag Team Nep+Blanc vs Zombie Army, Nepnep vs Sega Hard Girls, Makai Shin Trillion, Death Under the Labyrinth.

After XSEED's today's announcements and NISA's silence, I'm pretty convinced that even the localizers are abandoning Vita. 2016 will be a boring year until NX arrives.

Whilst the lack of announcements so far is disappointing, I doubt companies would abandon the Vita so quickly. Especially when some of them mentioned that Vita was profitable for them. Announcing PC ports does not mean that XSEED doesn't have anything planned for the Vita in 2016. The only odd thing is NISA's silence.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got a white pink vita slim.

The sliminess is actually making it kinda hard to grip.

So glad I finally snagged a white pink one though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I don't think so, i mean localization companies made some good money with vita localizations, people are still here and many other japanese vita games are in development, i don't see the reason to waste the opportunity.

I'm disappointed by XSeed, the only localization annnounced was Xanadu Next for pc, making ports is good and all but since localization companies are few and the demand of localizations is high(that's why i always say that there are few localization "slots" that should be used for the very best games) i would have stayed focused on that front.
If really there's a shift then it's not from vita localizations to other platform localizations, but from localizations to ports imo.

AniHawk

it's a good idea to properly scale vita expectations down. look for vita/ps4 combo releases as the main source of vita localizations over the next year. there may be a couple vita exclusives, but they'll be more of a treat instead of the norm. 2015 was really the last year for that.

the new hotness is steam though.

Top Bottom