• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

AniHawk

I don't think so, i mean localization companies made some good money with vita localizations, people are still here and many other japanese vita games are in development, i don't see the reason to waste the opportunity.

I'm disappointed by XSeed, the only localization annnounced was Xanadu Next for pc, making ports is good and all but since localization companies are few and the demand of localizations is high(that's why i always say that there are few localization "slots" that should be used for the very best games) i would have stayed focused on that front.
If really there's a shift then it's not from vita localizations to other platform localizations, but from localizations to ports imo.

what localizations would you like to see? keep in mind that anything sega (excluding atlus) is a complete nonstarter. i'm genuinely interested because i really don't think there's a ton out there with strong appeal to the niche market.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
what localizations would you like to see? keep in mind that anything sega (excluding atlus) is a complete nonstarter. i'm genuinely interested because i really don't think there's a ton out there with strong appeal to the niche market.

Just to name some:

-Net High
-Tokyo Xanadu
-ukyo no shishi/roushi
-luminous arc infinity
-summon night 6
-crows burning edge(if good)
-night of the true kamaitachi(i'll never give up on this! XD )
- uppers
-psp yugioh game(and other psp games :( )
-Ray Gigant
-Stranger of the Village of the Sword
-Grand Kingdom
-Exist Archive
-zodiac
-false mask
-makai kingdom
-gundam

and others, as you can see there's a lot of good stuff, localization companies should focus on them alone for us to get them all, and we know it won't happen, so games to be localized should be chosen carefully.

it's a good idea to properly scale vita expectations down. look for vita/ps4 combo releases as the main source of vita localizations over the next year. there may be a couple vita exclusives, but they'll be more of a treat instead of the norm. 2015 was really the last year for that.

Out of curiosity, what do you think will happen with Japanese companies that are still seemingly all in on the Vita, like Marvelous, NIS and IF? I can't see them doing PS4 (or PC even except for IF) ports of most of their releases. So will those games stay Japan exclusive? What are their western localization branches going to do? I guess XSEED has enough that they'll be fine, but it would be weird if they weren't localizing some Marvelous games as well.

We can already see a lot of PS4/Vita developments from some Japanese companies, but there's still a ton that focus entirely on the Vita.

jzbluz

I was trying to play DJMax Portable 3, but it keeps giving me a C1-2858-3 error. I've tried erasing my saves, redownloading, and rebuilding the database but I have had no luck. I don't have any issues playing my other PSP games so I'm really lost. Any idea?

Just to name some:

-Net High
-Tokyo Xanadu
-ukyo no shishi/roushi
-luminous arc infinity
-summon night 6
- uppers
-Ray Gigant
-Grand Kingdom
-Exist Archive
-zodiac
-false mask
-makai kingdom
-gundam

and others, as you can see there's a lot of good stuff, localization companies should focus on them alone for us to get them all, and we know it won't happen, so games to be localized should be chosen carefully.

XSEED will most likely give us all the Marvelous games and Tokyo Xanadu. Zodiac was confirmed for worldwide release. Exist Archive is given. IFI localizes practically everything of theirs so Makai Shin Trillion(you meant that one right?) is also a given. SN6 and Ray Gigant are BN but they could happen. NISA could do SotVotS. PSP games and anything involving a complicated license is not realistic though.

There's no need to worry yet.

AniHawk

Just to name some:

-Net High
-Tokyo Xanadu
-ukyo no shishi/roushi
-luminous arc infinity
-summon night 6
- uppers
-Ray Gigant
-Grand Kingdom
-Exist Archive
-zodiac
-false mask
-makai kingdom
-gundam

i will limit these to the ones i think have a chance:

net high - xseed is the child company of marvelous, so they might actually bring it over. they've been known to stick with older platforms for a while
tokyo xanadu - xseed is probably going to work on this too since they're close with falcom and are still working on a psp game they started five years ago.
luminous arc infinity - boy that's a lot of xseed titles, but they will probably handle this i guess

summon night 6 - mixed bag but bandai namco's been keen on publishing stuff lately either through themselves or other companies. ps4 helps
ray gigant - see the above. no ps4 kinda hurts

stranger of sword city - apparently someone has it according to parakeetman?

grand kingdom & exist archive - i think there are three companies that could really lay claim to either title. these seem desirable.

all of those spike chunsoft titles other aren't happening. we would have heard of any one of them if they were going to happen.

Out of curiosity, what do you think will happen with Japanese companies that are still seemingly all in on the Vita, like Marvelous, NIS and IF? I can't see them doing PS4 (or PC even except for IF) ports of most of their releases. So will those games stay Japan exclusive? What are their western localization branches going to do? I guess XSEED has enough that they'll be fine, but it would be weird if they weren't localizing some Marvelous games as well.

We can already see a lot of PS4/Vita developments from some Japanese companies, but there's still a ton that focus entirely on the Vita.

i think they can actually pick and choose for the most part and get stuff on steam. nisa is supposed to do steam this year but they've been quiet about it (the only hints to this were something related to the firefly diary earlier this year and statement in nis's financial reports). neptunia games have done tremendous for idea factory on steam, and xseed's done extremely well there too (which is a no-brainer for yesterday's news). if we're looking at dedicated hardware, we can look at ps4 definitely becoming the main source of localizations in 2017 with some nx thrown in on the side.

net high - xseed is the child company of marvelous, so they might actually bring it over. they've been known to stick with older platforms for a while
tokyo xanadu - xseed is probably going to work on this too since they're close with falcom and are still working on a psp game they started five years ago.
luminous arc infinity - boy that's a lot of xseed titles, but they will probably handle this i guess

summon night 6 - mixed bag but bandai namco's been keen on publishing stuff lately either through themselves or other companies. ps4 helps

grand kingdom & exist archive - i think there are three companies that could really lay claim to either title. these seem desirable.

all of those spike chunsoft titles other aren't happening. we would have heard of any one of them if they were going to happen.

I think Makai Shin Trillion (IF) and Utawarerumono False Mask (Atlus) have a higher chance than some of the ones you mentioned.

Ryan95

It's true that Summon Night 6 is developed by Bamco, but I think it's likelier Gajinworks will localize it, considering they are handling SN5 as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's true that Summon Night 6 is developed by Bamco, but I think it's likelier Gajinworks will localize it, considering they are handling SN5 as well.

Honestly if they want it out in a timely fashion and in large quantities they are better off doing it themselves. Considering too its a PS4 / PSV title Id see Bandai Namco having the capacity to do both if they wanted if not just the PS4 version.

As most def Bandai Namco wants more of that PS4 market pie and releasing a srpg like that would help add to their own library.

Don't NISA stick with older platforms for quite some time too? They released a PS2 game in 2010 and two PSP games in 2013.

I'd say that increases the chances of some of the Spike Chunsoft stuff, although sadly I suspect the door has closed on Ukiyo despite the fact I really want those games.

18-Volt

XSEED do have lots of titles in their plate and I could see them skipping a few. Net High, Luminous Arc Infinity, Valkyrie Drive all have a chance to remain Japan only. XSEED will probably focus on easier to localize and more profitable stuff. Tokyo Xanadu, Metropolis Defenders and Uppers are good fit for them. I also expect God Eater 2 to be localized by XSEED, since they've been doing much of D3 Publishers job since their American branch became Puzzle Quest only mobile publisher.

Namco only go for stuff that are guaranteed to sell, Tales, One Piece, Dragon Ball and Naruto. Rest (Ray Gigant, God Eater, Summon Night 6) have no chance.

Pretty sure that was Xbox One version. They seem to be different games, Xbox version is a little updated.

Atlus will grab them for sure. Atlus, like they were in 2015, will be the best localizer in 2016. They had good relations with SpikeChunsoft in the past, so all SC games with PS4 version are most likely candidates: Mystery Chronicle, Grand Kingdom and Exist Archive. I'm not sure about Utawarerumono.

Parakeetman

XSEED do have lots of titles in their plate and I could see them skipping a few. Net High, Luminous Arc Infinity, Valkyrie Drive all have a chance to remain Japan only. XSEED will probably focus on easier to localize and more profitable stuff. Tokyo Xanadu, Metropolis Defenders and Uppers are good fit for them. I also expect God Eater 2 to be localized by XSEED, since they've been doing much of D3 Publishers job since their American branch became Puzzle Quest only mobile publisher.

Namco only go for stuff that are guaranteed to sell, Tales, One Piece, Dragon Ball and Naruto. Rest (Ray Gigant, God Eater, Summon Night 6) have no chance.

Pretty sure that was Xbox One version. They seem to be different games, Xbox version is a little updated.

Atlus will grab them for sure. Atlus, like they were in 2015, will be the best localizer in 2016. They had good relations with SpikeChunsoft in the past, so all SC games with PS4 version are most likely candidates: Mystery Chronicle, Grand Kingdom and Exist Archive. I'm not sure about Utawarerumono.

No its the Vita version. Its why I had expected them to announce it at the anime expo thing, but they never did any of the 2016 announcements. Now with the XBO version being announced after makes me wonder if they put it on hold for that. As explained in a previous post in this thread. AniHawk mentioned that they also usually do announcements in Feb. so perhaps around then something will be said? Unless they do an announcement earlier than that. But since I dont watch for when they usually announce stuff in the West, am not one to ask about the schedules. AniHawk seems to be far more in the loop about that.

Actually summon night 6 is perfectly viable, due to the PS4 not really having a lot of JRPGs on it yet. And the game does look good. So there would be a lot of curious buyers if it was on the shelf. Am certain Bandai Namco understands that also which is why they did a Vita / PS4 version. Instead of just a Vita version. Seeing how they did a PS4 version of Digimon just for the West, they have a pretty good idea of how the market is overseas. Granted Digimon already has an odd amount of rabid fans, the fact that they went and did up another version for a different region shows that they are pretty serious about support given.

Right now Id imagine all of the usual suspects for the JRPG localizing scene will want to grab as many PS4 titles as possible to start building up their library and to get into the action of that growing PS4 market. So with that being said as long as a title isnt a total shitshow Id imagine them be a lot more willing to try and pick up more titles. Even if its just digital, the potential chance for sales is most def there just due to the sheer number of users.

-------

On a side note who in the West usually does the Spike Chunsoft stuff? As I do not follow their Western releases (if any) at all. Since at the moment they do seem to be producing a lot of titles here in Japan. It doesnt help too if they are the type that goes and shotguns their IPs out to various pubs either, making it harder to figure out who the potential publisher in the West would be for those new upcoming titles of theirs.

NISA and Atlus, I believe.

Atlus handled Conception 2, Kenka Bancho 3 & Attack on Titan.

Aksys did 999/Zero Escape and are now working with them on Zero Escape 3.

NISA have done all the DanranRonpas but nothing else I can think of.

XSEED did Way of the Samurai 4.

I'd say Atlus have been the most consistent in that they've picked up multiple franchises, whereas the others have only picked up one specific franchise but done multiple entries.

Saphirax

I'd say Atlus have been the most consistent in that they've picked up multiple franchises, whereas the others have only picked up one specific franchise but done multiple entries.

Wow, I completely forgot about 999/VLR D:.

Prelude.

After XSEED's today's announcements and NISA's silence, I'm pretty convinced that even the localizers are abandoning Vita. 2016 will be a boring year until NX arrives.
It's not like they didn't announce anything for Vita, they didn't announce anything at all so they're just not ready for new announcements yet.
Unless they want to skip years doing nothing, since there's nothing to localize for them for any platform except the Vita, they're gonna announce them at the right time.

Unless they want to skip years doing nothing, since there's nothing to localize for them for any platform except the Vita, they're gonna announce them at the right time.

I think that's what people are worried about. There's not much viable apart from Vita games and with them announcing nothing, that means they're losing interest.

Parakeetman

Ok so they are one of those companies that shotgun all over the place then. Thanks for the more detailed info.

Had forgot WotS4 was Spike. Since in my mind its always been Acquire as the publisher. But this is like PS2 days kind of old though. Stupid thing too is I have the JP version which has Spike and Acquire on the cover too.

Prelude.

I think that's what people are worried about. There's not much viable apart from Vita games and with them announcing nothing, that means they're losing interest.
But they're not gonna twiddle their thumbs while they're still making money on Vita games, that's what I'm saying.
If you remember, Sen no Kiseki, Corpse Party BD, EDF and Estival Versus all got announced randomly on twitter.

But they're not gonna twiddle their thumbs while they're still making money on Vita games, that's what I'm saying.
If you remember, Sen no Kiseki, Corpse Party BD, EDF and Estival Versus all got announced randomly on twitter.

No, I don't think they will either. But there's a fair bit of stuff they could've already announced and they hadn't, so I'm just wondering if they're taking it slow/focusing on anime more or something like that, then will ramp it up again when they can get PS4/Vita games or whatever.

That said, a lot of the internal NIS stuff isn't out yet, so maybe they're waiting for that too (and a lot of it is on Vita).

bobohoro

Ar Nosurge Plus is ruining my eyes. The font in the menu is way too small and the framerate is so all over the place I get a headache. Would have been better as a pure VN, since combat also seems rather lackluster. Oh well, story is good and music great, so I'll pull through.

Parakeetman

Ar Nosurge Plus is ruining my eyes. The font in the menu is way too small and the framerate is so all over the place I get a headache. Would have been better as a pure VN, since combat also seems rather lackluster. Oh well, story is good and music great, so I'll pull through.

The combat in the series in general never has been a good thing unfortunately. Most people seem to play it for the music lol.

Shizuka

From the Muv-Luv Twitter:

Minor Announcement: Physical Vita(EN) cartridges are _almost_ limited to the KS. It may take time before we _look into_ regular EN release.

If you want the certainty of getting a physical Vita copy for the Muv-Luv trilogy, you'll have to back the Kickstarter. Backing the $80 tier, you get physical copies for the Muv-Luv trilogy (two physical cartridges) and digital copies as well.

AniHawk

Don't NISA stick with older platforms for quite some time too? They released a PS2 game in 2010 and two PSP games in 2013.

I'd say that increases the chances of some of the Spike Chunsoft stuff, although sadly I suspect the door has closed on Ukiyo despite the fact I really want those games.

they did do mana khemia 2 in 2010 and had some digital psp games in 2013. not sure what was going on with generation of chaos but black rock shooter was stuck in licensing hell for a couple years. i think nisa has stuck with vita quite long enough to be honest. the platform was already on shaky ground this year and they gave it a ton of support in 2014.

i would say so too except sword art online vita games have come over without any problems.

thing is atlus, aksys, and nisa have all had good relationships with spike chunsoft. at anime expo, the writer of danganronpa was over with nisa while the writer of zero escape was with aksys. atlus also collaborated with spike chunsoft on a recent game in japan with etrian mystery dungeon, so spike chunsoft has a bunch of options to be honest, and not one is a clear-cut choice.

bobohoro

The combat in the series in general never has been a good thing unfortunately. Most people seem to play it for the music lol.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the combat systems of AT1&2 (never got 3), but Ar Nosurge already feels limited a few hours in and I can't see much potential for growth/complexity in it. At least it's fast and not really painful, and clearing out dungeons is quickly done, so eh...no big problem for now.

And yeah, music is the most outstanding feature of the series. Although I also like the things they do with cosmosphere/genometrics in terms of character development.

OMG... I'm trying out GER and
THE HAIR I USED FOR MY MC IN GEB IS NOT IN THE DEMO and probably not in the game.
then it escalated when I realized that
I don't remember the voice I used either. Ahhhhh... my GEB file is the one savefile I regret losing the most when my Miku Vita got stolen.
;___;

GEB OP is used in the game with some apparently minor new animations(I think). But I'm pretty sure this thing is way better than the remix one. And the GEB opening is still spoiler-y. >___>

In the archives, though the OP is referred to as GER Opening Movie. I wish that the main game has GEB and vanilla GE opening as well.

they did do mana khemia 2 in 2010 and had some digital psp games in 2013. not sure what was going on with generation of chaos but black rock shooter was stuck in licensing hell for a couple years. i think nisa has stuck with vita quite long enough to be honest. the platform was already on shaky ground this year and they gave it a ton of support in 2014.

How have the actual games done for them, though?

I mean, it's been in the same place since pretty much the end of 2013 when Sony withdrew support. I presume what'll keep them on board is if they stuff they're releasing is still selling okay.

The first 2 DanganRonpas clearly did alright (enough to brag about sales to MCV) and I remember Tom saying on XSEED's boards that their Vita games had done well (that was in early 2014 I believe after Ragnarok/Ys/Valhalla Knights had released), but I've no idea how things have gone since then.

cyborg009

Banned
OMG... I'm trying out GER and
THE HAIR I USED FOR MY MC IN GEB IS NOT IN THE DEMO and probably not in the game.
then it escalated when I realized that
I don't remember the voice I used either. Ahhhhh... my GEB file is the one savefile I regret losing the most when my Miku Vita got stolen.
;___;

GEB OP is used in the game with some apparently minor new animations(I think). But I'm pretty sure this thing is way better than the remix one. And the GEB opening is still spoiler-y. >___>

In the archives, though the OP is referred to as GER Opening Movie. I wish that the main game has GEB and vanilla GE opening as well.

Man so much time has passed since I played GEB and waiting for the sequel has pretty much made me lose interest in the series.

iosefe

hold me PlaystationGAF...

my ps3 has the slim version for the YLOD. green like, the double(triple) beep into red blinking light.

i must say i am sad, the the one thing i am the most disappointed in is losing my Kingdom Hearts save files

Would be nice if the online store worked for me during this flash sale. Gotta use the horrible PS3 store now. I guess buying Half Minute Hero is worth it.

Chuy

I should start getting paid by Sony since i'm doing a better job of advertising the Vita than they are. Sold 2 people on it with Remote play Destiny + Freedom Wars/Kiilzone and have another 2 going to purchase it when they have the funds for it.

Anyway anything good from the flash sale? I only have $20 in my psn account and looks like that's going to be it for the foreseeable future.

I'm down to play Freedom Wars any damn time. Probably my game of the system.
Assuming I have the free time I'm game for this.
Just really hope there's a sequel/expansion announced soon.
Got a white pink vita slim.

The sliminess is actually making it kinda hard to grip.

So glad I finally snagged a white pink one though.
If you're having trouble gripping it i'd suggest either the Nyko power grip or PDP trigger grip.
Hear these two are the suggested grips for the slim.

hold me PlaystationGAF...

my ps3 has the slim version for the YLOD. green like, the double(triple) beep into red blinking light.

i must say i am sad, the the one thing i am the most disappointed in is losing my Kingdom Hearts save files
Didn't know there was something similar to the YLOD on the slim. That sucks :/
Anything you can do to fix it?
Also in the future you can back up saves to USB or using cloud saves with PS+ so this tragedy doesn't happen again.

iosefe

Didn't know there was something similar to the YLOD on the slim. That sucks :/
Anything you can do to fix it?
Also in the future you can back up saves to USB or using cloud saves with PS+ so this tragedy doesn't happen again.

sometimes you can go into safe mode, but mine wouldn't.

i actually let my plus lapse so that wasn't an option. it's came pretty much out of nowhere. of course i've never cracked it uopen to dust out as i lack a torque screwdriver. gonna get ahold of one soon, dust out and hope for the best

Parakeetman

Any impressions on lunar, black rock shooter or generation chaos?

black rock shooter is garbage. total waste of an ip. honestly would not even suggest someone to spend money on it. game mechanics are pretty half assed / uninteresting and the if one is trying to play it for any sort of story yeah thats not a good idea either. only good thing about the game outside of the character models it uses in game and artwork is the opening. combat wears thin in general since there is not too much variation outside of the bosses. I still have the LE sitting here boxed up. sold off the normal copy of the game that had bought separate a long time ago.

lunar? you mean the old school jrpg one? if so that game is one of the timeless classics a lot of jrpg fans have played. if you like classic jrpgs then its worth checking out.

generation of chaos is mixed so depends if you really want to get it or not. (with the amount that have come out here in Japan, I cant even remember the mechanics and whatnots for which is which so cant be of much help with that.)

unfortunately since there appears to be no OT for generation of chaos to direct you to as stupid as metacritic is in general you can look through here to make up your mind from there.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/generation-of-chaos

This game is the very definition of "whatever you put into it, you get out of it". Let me start off by saying that this is not an easy game to understand. The manual is o.k.,but lackluster, the interface is confusing and the graphics are just enough to get by. So why did I rate it a 9? If you really, really commit to this game and look at the forums online, look for strategy guides online, read the manual TWICE, play through the first mission at least 3-4 times,then it hits you like a ton of bricks----this is an incredibly deep,complex and ultimately very rewarding game. Now you're probably wondering that no game is worth investing all that time just to figure out HOW to play it. However, if you do take the time, you will come away with a fun, complex strategy game with infinite replay value that you may find yourself playing for YEARS. Yes, its that deep.

I understand the negative reviews but I have to disagree. This game does have a steep learning curve, but it's very much worth it. You can control your troops using the Move command, and change their tactics in mid battle. If anything, I thought the troops were too responsive to the Move command. Also, you have to take into consideration the board - if you move onto a square with nothing, you can't recruit, but if you move forward to an outpost/sign of some sort, you can. There is a lot of room for improvement with the graphics and the sound, but the gameplay is solid.

2 separate user comments that actually say more about the game than "it was good"

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any impressions on lunar, black rock shooter or generation chaos?

Do you mean the first generation of chaos, not Aedis Eclipse or Pandora 's Reflection right?

I LOVED GoC, i like to think of it as the Japanese answer to Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

The first impression you get is that the game is really slow with a confusing UI and FULL of unexplained acronyms and mechanics, but once you read the NISA mini guide(NISA site members->download, you need an account) everything become clear and awesome.

It's really deep, full of content, lots of campaigns and you can even randomly generate others, it has an incredibly vast amount of different units and generals, giving them orders during battles, taking into account lots of things like the kind and number of troops, the terrain, the weather and time(for example some units and spells are stronger in certain condition, some units completely change form like werewolves at night and so on), you need to develop your castles, trying to get prisoner generals by your side(by corrupting them with the danger of a betrayal later or with the charisma of a general IIRC) and many many more things.

It's a really overlooked and misunderstood gem.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh wow, thanks for all the impressions.

Hmm, I think I might maybe get GoC or Lunar. Or not. Already got quite a bit from the sale. Don't starve, Ys 7, hotlniq or whatever it's called and ZHP made this a pretty solid sale.

yaffi

Got a Vita Slim for 60€ (pretty much looks like new) and now I'm thinking of selling my OLED. I mean, there's no point in owning 2 Vitas, right?

Got a Vita Slim for 60€ (pretty much looks like new) and now I'm thinking of selling my OLED. I mean, there's no point in owning 2 Vitas, right?

I have one on my main account (EU) and one I switch between US and JP. It's quite useful sometimes, but might not be for everyone.

Top Bottom