• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm holding irrational hope that Gio Corsi has picked up Tales of Innocence R or Phantasy Star Nova. So I suspect there are still people gunning for God Eater :p

With the bunch of whiny little babies people have become about framerates regardless of platform, folks would literally freak out over PS Nova. Since some parts can get pretty bad. And this is coming from someone who doesnt give a flying fuck about framerates in general.

As in literally can turn into a slideshow bad.

Dont think that would help out sales at all considering how quickly chicken little spreads on the internet. Causing people to not buy something.

Redhood

Like YianGaruga says, is it? He grabbed Yakuza 5. I don't see why he can't pick up more localizations. One of the ones I mentioned is even a SEGA game!

As for console ports, it has to be something capable of running on vita somewhat. I can't really think of anything recent that would fit. I'd rather he reached into PS3's back catalogue and picked a decent game.

Okami & Folklore will be my top choice.

With the bunch of whiny little babies people have become about framerates regardless of platform, folks would literally freak out over PS Nova. Since some parts can get pretty bad. And this is coming from someone who doesnt give a flying fuck about framerates in general.

Dont think that would help out sales at all considering how quickly chicken little spreads on the internet. Causing people to not buy something.
Framerate talk is really not a big thing on handhelds compared to consoles and PC. And you overestimate the impact these things have on sales. The only thing that I imagine has a measurable impact on sales are framerate locks on PC since that audience is a bit special :p

Now this is irrational :p

Really? Wow, didn't know that. Yeah, that'd probably get some backlash over here like every Vita port that has a bad framerate.

Not bad choices. Folklore would be a good fit. I'd like them to take on something ambitious like an open-world game. InFAMOUS 1 or 2 on Vita would be legitimately amazing or an earlier Elder Scrolls game.

Would probably turn out quite badly knowing 3PP though, lol.

Parakeetman

Really? Wow, didn't know that. Yeah, that'd probably get some backlash over here like every Vita port that has a bad framerate.

Not bad choices. Folklore would be a good fit. I'd like them to take on something ambitious like an open-world game. InFAMOUS 1 or 2 on Vita would be legitimately amazing or an earlier Elder Scrolls game.

Would probably turn out quite badly knowing 3PP though, lol.

Its quite bad and fairly easy to reproduce as it is with a specific boss and all you need to do is be a melee class / real close to it. The first patch didnt fix it. Have not played in forever since as no reason to go back to the game so unsure if other patches came out. Though with something that serious, doubt a simple patch can fix it. Was surprised it even made it past submission honestly. It has to do with the boss itself, due to how it is designed / putting strain on the game engine / system.

While the game does slow down, if you are using a ranged character the game wont turn into a slideshow.

If you had the power to choose, which games would you tell them to make/localize for the Vita (Japanese and older ports)?

Well VitaGaf... I never thought I would fill it but I filled all 6 of my Hori 24 Card Cases (so 144 physical carts). And now they don't make card cases anymore :(

Also reminds me how much of a backlog I have.

Shinriji

Its quite bad and fairly easy to reproduce as it is with a specific boss and all you need to do is be a melee class / real close to it. The first patch didnt fix it. Have not played in forever since as no reason to go back to the game so unsure if other patches came out. Though with something that serious, doubt a simple patch can fix it. Was surprised it even made it past submission honestly. It has to do with the boss itself, due to how it is designed / putting strain on the game engine / system.

While the game does slow down, if you are using a ranged character the game wont turn into a slideshow.

Patch 1.02 or 1.03 improved the framerate and draw distance, but its still far from perfect. Weird thing that PSO2 at the time of Episode 2 improved the framerate a lot.

redcrayon

Thank you for the explanation! :)

It still sounds interesting and I'll probably pick it upp when I have finished lost dimension and Natural Doctrine. Have you played tried/played them?
Natural Doctrine I struggled with, which is a shame as it looks exactly the kind of stuff I would like, with it's interlocking systems and micromanaging an adventuring party. In the end, despite loving the concept, it reminded me of how I felt playing Knights in the Nightmare- the obtuse and obstructive interface gets in the way of some great new ideas for a strategy game that could have been really elegant. However, I know at least one other gaffer who loves their strategy games really enjoyed it too. I'll go back and give it another go at some point.

Lost Dimension I haven't played yet but am really looking forward to it, I'm waiting for it to drop in price a bit but it looks exactly my kind of thing! I love Valkyria Chronicles and from what I've seen, it reminds me of that. As soon as I see it for £20 or so I'll pick it up, I've got a backlog of games to play so I dropped it from my 'to buy' list due to picking up loads of cheap games in the sale. Arc the Lad II (PSOne) is my current SRPG and it's taking me far longer than I thought it would, it's just epic.

Have you tried Frozen Synapse? Otherwise there's Xcom coming up too, that's excellent.

Parakeetman

Patch 1.02 or 1.03 improved the framerate and draw distance, but its still far from perfect. Weird thing that PSO2 at the time of Episode 2 improved the framerate a lot.

The weird thing is the draw distance was hardly and issue considering its not like you ever needed to really see that far away as not like you used weapons that would be super long range. Game had more of an issue with properly displaying enemy drops from bosses when they were all dumped in the same place, so you would be running around seeing stuff flicker in / out and hearing the pick up noise as you ran over nothing lol.

The framerate though, that was something which by all right should have failed the submission as I had mentioned before. The overall framerate outside of that one section isnt really that much of an issue, but that one particular boss, the long connecting / disconnecting bug one was literally the worst issue Ive seen in regards to framerate dropping to slideshow levels on a Vita title. As out of all the games Ive played here none have done something that bad. As that is build failure level bad, since its not like you are even doing much more than just being close to the boss while its moving when it does that.

I had never noticed it for a long time as mostly played as a ranged character. Way easier to break parts that way without taking stupid amounts of damage due to being too close / trying to aim melee attacks. So when I started to level up the melee related stuff is when I had first noticed the issue then saw how bad it got. Thankfully I didnt need to bother with that boss all that much outside of my own amusement with seeing how many parts I could break on it. Though it was a good boss to farm just to get a ton of random resources.

Overall its still a good game, but most def people would freak out about those performance issues. Seeing how everyone is obsessed with framerate these days.

Natural Doctrine I struggled with, which is a shame as it looks exactly the kind of stuff I would like, with it's interlocking systems and micromanaging an adventuring party. In the end, despite loving the concept, it reminded me of how I felt playing Knights in the Nightmare- the obtuse and obstructive interface gets in the way of some great new ideas for a strategy game that could have been really elegant. However, I know at least one other gaffer who loves their strategy games really enjoyed it too. I'll go back and give it another go at some point.

All of those odd looking lines and whatnots are actually pretty important. Just that the game overall does not really have the best tutorial system.

While the game looks like shit, overall it has a solid gameplay system.

Though one large issue is how some levels are literally designed to kill the player the first time around. So you wind up wasting a good amount of time when that happens. Plus the AI is able to perform some actions that the user is unable to. Which is another issue, when it comes to thought process of what is safe / what isnt with character placement. Which also is very important, due to single character dying = gameover as am sure you already are familiar with.

Game most def would have done better with more time in the oven. As it did not exactly feel finished overall.

Overall its not a title Id suggest to the average random. Unless I actually knew exactly what type of games said person liked / their threshold for bullshit / learning ability. Be wary of those who blindly suggest the game to others.

Though one irritating thing is the patch they added when I was still playing made it so that the goddamned golem could only be healed by the girl controlling it, instead of using Nebula? the casters healing ability also. Which turned the golem into a giant fucking paperweight. As the golem functions by either controlling the golem or girl. Healing the golem with the girl = golem doesnt move therefore takes more damage so you are stuck constantly healing it, depending on how bad the situation is. They had changed something else also, but dont remember what it was. Must not have been that bad if I dont remember as by far the change to how the golem can be healed was the worst.

Lost Dimension I haven't played yet but am really looking forward to it, I'm waiting for it to drop in price a bit but it looks exactly my kind of thing! I love Valkyria Chronicles and from what I've seen, it reminds me of that. As soon as I see it for £20 or so I'll pick it up, I've got a backlog of games to play so I dropped it from my 'to buy' list due to picking up loads of cheap games in the sale. Arc the Lad II (PSOne) is my current SRPG and it's taking me far longer than I thought it would, it's just epic.

Have you tried Frozen Synapse? Otherwise there's Xcom coming up too, that's excellent.

Frozen synapse is my Vita GOTY (haven't finished it though) and I've been hoping for an XCOM port since I bought my vita, so I really hope that tomorrow brings some good news.

If you haven't tried and don't mind the simplified aesthetics of the combat(basically it looks like a board game), I recommend that you give Tokyo twilight ghost hunters a chance. :)

Edit:I sent you a PM if you are interested in going back to ND

Producer

Yeah that's irrational. Expect more console to Vita ports from Corsi's team. My wildest guess would be Street Fighter V, as Ono implied once. What else could it be?

Theres no chance of SF5 being on Vita. Wouldnt be able to run it at all. Not to mention it would have no place in PS4/PC crossplay and CFN.

Prelude.

Theres no chance of SF5 being on Vita. Wouldnt be able to run it at all. Not to mention it would have no place in PS4/PC crossplay and CFN.
That's not true. It just depends on how it's developed, it's "just" a fighting game.
SFIV on the 3DS is a pretty decent port considering its specs.

It's not happening but still, it's not impossible to make a good version of it on the Vita.
And crossplay is irrelevant anyway.

Reset

Yeah that's irrational. Expect more console to Vita ports from Corsi's team. My wildest guess would be Street Fighter V, as Ono implied once. What else could it be?
When did he imply SFV? I remember reading that he wanted to put USFIV on the Vita, but SFxT didn't sell well enough or something. But Ono implying SFV on Vita is the first time I heard about this.

RK128

It can happen; the MvC3 port on Vita was an almost 1-to-1 port of the PS3 version (with the only difference being that stage backgrounds aren't animated or aren't animated as much as in the PS3 version) and SFxTK ran quite well on Vita (not native res, I think, but had a mostly stable frame-rate).

If they down-scale the game enough, it can work on Vita with little issue. But its running on UE4, not MT Framework, so chances of it coming to Vita is very slim.

Could see Ultra Street Fighter IV (with all the DLC) coming to Vita though; would push Vita owners to check out the series and give them a 'taste' of what SFV will be like when they get a PS4/play it on PC.

RK128

I'd like an Ape Escape compilation and some of the Shadow Hearts games, if we're talking about ports.

I could see Ape Escape 3 join Ape Escape 2 as a PS2 Classic (as the latter was rated for the EU on PS4 a while back) but I don't expect an HD Collection. Would love on though only for them to take On the Loose's visuals and implant the original PS1 controls into it.

Shadow Hearts I could also see coming to PS4/PS3 as PS2 Classics but I don't think we are getting an HD remaster.

Would be nice to see Shadow Hearts coming to Vita ala Port at some point though :).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are we playing the dream port game? Then i'll play it too!!

What about demon/dark souls, or skyrim/fallout3, or older pc games like morrowind, some good sim city, starcraft/red alert, heroes of might & magic 3/might & magic 6 and many others?

Honestly i don't get why you are hurting yourselves though, I don't think that sony will ever do anything else for vita and in any case we know the results.

Reset

I'm not expecting anything. I'd be just happy if they localize some more Jrpgs. I'm not asking for ports or new games, I don't want to disappoint myself.
Asking for more localizations isn't to much to ask, right? :(

RK128

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything. I really would love Ape Escape on Vita, though. It seems like such a no-brainer.

You can though; On the Loose, the PSP Remake of the original game, is playable on Vita in NA (not sure about EU but I think it is there too).

It lacks the unique control set-up the original game had, but it runs well, feels great to play and the Dreamcast-level visual upgrade really makes the game look better then ever.

Its 6 bucks and its well worth that price :). It has a few more mini-games then the PS1 version as well, so there is that too.

RK128

What about demon/dark souls, or skyrim/fallout3, or older pc games like morrowind, some good sim city, starcraft/red alert, heroes of might & magic 3/might & magic 6 and many others?

Honestly i don't get why you are hurting yourselves though, I don't think that sony will ever do anything else for vita and in any case we know the results.

I'm not expecting ANYTHING man :l.

Only stated X-Com and Civ 2 Revolution before due to both being heavily rumored in the past.

I learned this from owning my Vita; expect nothing. If you expecting nothing, when something does happen, you will be surprised :).

So, I expect nothing from Paris Games Show and if cool stuff happens there tomorrow, I will be happy.

Producer

That's not true. It just depends on how it's developed, it's "just" a fighting game.
SFIV on the 3DS is a pretty decent port considering its specs.

It's not happening but still, it's not impossible to make a good version of it on the Vita.
And crossplay is irrelevant anyway.

Being an UE4 game i dont think it would turn out well. Look at other UE3 fighting games on vita, they have issues such as framedrops which is just not acceptable in the genre. Maybe if Capcom themselves ported it like they did with SF4 3DS it would be different, but thats not happening. And crossplay certainly isnt irrelevant, its a big feature for SF5 and vita would miss out on that and other online features.

Christian

You can though; On the Loose, the PSP Remake of the original game, is playable on Vita in NA (not sure about EU but I think it is there too).

It lacks the unique control set-up the original game had, but it runs well, feels great to play and the Dreamcast-level visual upgrade really makes the game look better then ever.

Its 6 bucks and its well worth that price :). It has a few more mini-games then the PS1 version as well, so there is that too.

Have it for PSP. But without the control scheme, it looks a sizable amount of the fun. I have the PSone and PS2 games, too. But I'd love to have them on the go, with trophies.

Prelude.

Being an UE4 game i dont think it would turn out well. Look at other UE3 fighting games on vita, they have issues such as framedrops which is just not acceptable in the genre. Maybe if Capcom themselves ported it like they did with SF4 3DS it would be different, but thats not happening.
That's my point. If it's done properly it's doable, the game itself is nothing outside the capabilities of the Vita.

And crossplay certainly isnt irrelevant, its a big feature for SF5 and vita would miss out on that and other online features.
But it's not a big deal and not a reason why they wouldn't do it.

Producer

That's my point. If it's done properly it's doable, the game itself is nothing outside the capabilities of the Vita.

But it's not a big deal and not a reason why they wouldn't do it.

Right, but it would make a vita ver. that much less appealing. But its not like any of this matters anyways lol.

I do wish capcom would have ported their XBL/PSN fighters to Vita, that would have been great.

RK128

Im hoping for Gio Corsi to come on stage and announce a star citizens Vita port ;)

Edit: don't tell people to stop dreaming!

Its nice that people can dream, but its best to expect nothing for the Vita. Between exclusives being taken away from us and Sony disappointing us over and over, its hard to be excited about Vita announcements from Sony events.

Sorry if I'm being a downer, but its smart to be safe, rather than over-hyping myself only to get bitter latter on.

Was still somehow bitter for a few days despite expecting nothing out of TGS......

Ahhh, we're getting into my favourite "what if" for Vita category. Kinda feel like I kicked this off, whoops.

Obviously I'd love some localizations. I don't think it's that left-field, since Gio's team have done them before. Like I said, Innocence R would be my #1; Phantasy Star Nova #2.

I'm also surprised Ape Escape HD Collection (On the Loose; 2 & 3) hasn't happened yet. Kinda get the feeling they're done with the IP though as Japan Studio has moved on under new leadership.

My dream games would be an SSX on Vita (moment passed in 2012 - it was considered but nothing came of it) and InFAMOUS Vita (moment passed when Sony pulled support, as this article suggests - it was an idea at one point; though I haven't given up hope on a cheap port job of 1 & 2).

You think very similarly to me. Elder Scrolls/Fallout would be neat, I don't see either happening. Demon's Souls would be a relatively easy port (Phyreengine), but I don't see that happening either. Same way porting across GT5 assets into a Vita game would do some good for the console but Sony just aren't interested.

Vita dream port game? Bioshock and Dead Space (the mobile version at the very least) are the first that come to mind.

I wouldn't mind a System Shock game either, if they use the touchscreen and rear pads IMHO it could be possible.

As for indies, I'd love to see Dust: An Elysian Tail and Teleglitch.

Ace Attorney Trilogy would be amazing too. The series doesn't need dual screens on that much.

The Infinity series of VNs, especially Ever17 and Remember11. Hell, I'd take a PSN release of the PSP port (with the script from the current TL inserted)

redcrayon

All of those odd looking lines and whatnots are actually pretty important. Just that the game overall does not really have the best tutorial system.

While the game looks like shit, overall it has a solid gameplay system.

Though one large issue is how some levels are literally designed to kill the player the first time around. So you wind up wasting a good amount of time when that happens. Plus the AI is able to perform some actions that the user is unable to. Which is another issue, when it comes to thought process of what is safe / what isnt with character placement. Which also is very important, due to single character dying = gameover as am sure you already are familiar with.

Game most def would have done better with more time in the oven. As it did not exactly feel finished overall.

Overall its not a title Id suggest to the average random. Unless I actually knew exactly what type of games said person liked / their threshold for bullshit / learning ability. Be wary of those who blindly suggest the game to others.

Though one irritating thing is the patch they added when I was still playing made it so that the goddamned golem could only be healed by the girl controlling it, instead of using Nebula? the casters healing ability also. Which turned the golem into a giant fucking paperweight. As the golem functions by either controlling the golem or girl. Healing the golem with the girl = golem doesnt move therefore takes more damage so you are stuck constantly healing it, depending on how bad the situation is. They had changed something else also, but dont remember what it was. Must not have been that bad if I dont remember as by far the change to how the golem can be healed was the worst.
Thanks man.

I think I'll get on better with it second time around as I'm more prepared for it, it might be that I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it despite SRPGs making up a healthy chunk of my gaming time.

mellan_Konsten sent me some awesome notes on it too, top gaffer :)

Saphirax

Vita dream ports for me are all the old crpgs - many of which already have mobile ports. Bard's Tale, Baldur's, etc.

This. Heck, I'd even settle for PS4 versions of some of them, as long as I could remote play them.

As for BG, I actually read that Sony approached Beamdog for a PS3 version, but that would've been costly so nothing came of it. I hope they found a way to get it on Vita at least.

VLiberty

Given that 2K is supporting Vita with iOS ports, GTA trilogy, Max Payne HD, Bioshock 1 and 2k Drive should be no brainers.

*should*. I'm holding very little hope about those.

I'm getting less hopeful even about indies, after the recent cancelations. I'd like to see Freedom planet and The Next Penelope at the very least.

Given that 2K is supporting Vita with iOS ports, GTA trilogy, Max Payne HD, Bioshock 1 and 2k Drive should be no brainers.

*should*. I'm holding very little hope about those.

I'm getting less hopeful even about indies, after the recent cancelations. I'd like to see Freedom planet and The Next Penelope at the very least.

Bioshock on Vita STRAIGHT INTO MY FUCKING VEINS

Besides Broforce, what other indie games were canceled that were announced for the Vita?

Galak-Z and road not taken are two of them

Edit:nomnom galaxy

----

On another topic, I want the starlight Inception vita patch so I can install and play it again!

Edit: it just hit me, what if big fest was supposed to work in tandem with music unlimited (or was it only announced with no name bands?)?

VLiberty

• Galak-Z
  • Hand of Fate
  • Nom Nom Galaxy
  • Road Not Taken
  • Unmechanical: Extended Edition

Unmechanical is still not clear. I tweeted the devs and they said it's still alive but weren't too clear.

I'm pretty sure there are more though.

Bioshock on Vita STRAIGHT INTO MY FUCKING VEINS

I know right

I've got 2 and Infinite on PS3 via PS+ but I want to start with 1. Having the chance to play it on Vita would be a match made in heaven, so it won't happen.

Takao

Banned
There are a couple of Kickstarter games that claimed Vita support but then chose to use UE4. I'd consider those dead.

Yasumi

Banned
Playing P4D on hard now, enjoying it a lot more. Pretty sure Naoto's Heaven is a few stars short of its actual difficulty. I had to use like three items to even get through it and only got a stage clear. I did Kanji's song that's one star harder, completed it with no items, got a brilliant.

Top Bottom