• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

Flandy

I'm deleting any friend requests any of you may or may not send me. I don't give a shit if you say that you're from PSN/VitaGaf. That means nothing to me unless you specify your gaf name as well. Your Gaf name is the same as your PSN name you say? Wonderful! I however cannot be bothered to remember all your names or to check if it matches someones name on gaf. So, specify your name if you send me a friend request or I'll just delete it.

Producer

Its an interesting concept and has some good points, but also a lot of negative ones too. So really can imagine that to save $$$ and not have to extend the budget with all the things having to do with a physical release, possibly digital only.

What would you say you disliked about the game? From what i played it seemed ok, nothing really groundbreaking and just sort of your standard traditional jrpg but with the offspring mechanic, but i really don't mind games like that. I don't really have a problem with grinding and standard turn based gameplay.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What would you say you disliked about the game? From what i played it seemed ok, nothing really groundbreaking and just sort of your standard traditional jrpg but with the offspring mechanic, but i really don't mind games like that. I don't really have a problem with grinding and standard turn based gameplay.

The god / goddess stuff was kinda broken which drove folks insane including myself. As in they kept running away so your list of deities to choose from became barren pretty quick was really annoying. Thankfully they patched that.

Other things with how to unlock new areas in the dungeons to be able to progress can be obtuse at times and require a lot of runs through the same area.

Few other game balance issues, but asides from that its an ok title. Am sure the JRPG centric crowd here at GAF will be highly amused with the whole family thing and watching what their kids will look like and how everyone will constantly change. Since it will be something fairly unique to those who have not played the series before and a lot of enjoyment can come from that.

But the game is "grind" heavy in the sense with a lot of other mechanics, though at the same time the game does have multiple difficulty settings for those who do not want to take as much time with the title, so am sure people will also appreciate that.

Nice looking game art wise though, very unique style.

Wow that theme is top tier... Does it have good music as well? :eek:
Flandy perpetuating his role as VitaGAF's antagonist, I see.

Not sure as I have the vita menu music set to off, just to save battery life when I have to be in the menus messing with things. Finally after a long time did the swapping of the mem card from the PSVTV to the PSV and yep shit still messes with the positions of my bubbles as usual. At least this time it didnt cause my folder bubbles to explode like last time. Shit took forever to reorganize. Wonder why they still have not fixed that considering how many patches came out since the last time I messed with that. Pretty much since the launch of the PSV TV in Japan was the last time I swapped back and forth like that.

Producer

thanks for your impressions parakeetman. I agree that people will probably find alot of fun in the family aspect, although when i took a pic of myself my offspring came out hella ugly lol. Not sure what the game is trying to tell me there:/

Parakeetman

thanks for your impressions parakeetman. I agree that people will probably find alot of fun in the family aspect, although when i took a pic of myself my offspring came out hella ugly lol. Not sure what the game is trying to tell me there:/

its ok its similar to how a lot of people who just make their own character there will almost always be one with the Francis Xavier haircut. Not sure if the devs did that on purpose, but sure seems like it lol.

48344fde.jpg

Christian

Soul Sacrifice Delta
Vita Pets
Invizimals: The Alliance
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Ratchet and Clank Collection
Minecraft (Voucher only)
MLB The Show 2015 (Voucher Only)

more digital release expected coming:
The Muppets Movie Adventures
Invizimals: The Resistance
Oreshika 2
Resident Evil Revelation 2

I wasn't aware Sony published Epic Mickey 2 and Muppets Movie on the Vita. Did they do it just to get that content on the handheld?

Anyone use this Hori Hard pouch for the Vita 2000? Can't find any first-hand photos.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F34B6JW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here. Great pouch. Very slim though. There's only room for the Vita 2000. The system shifts slightly inside, but I don't doubt that the case would protect the Vita from a serious fall.

Probably the best case around for the Vita 2000 owner who has gone all digital, or at least doesn't mind carrying their games in a separate case.

.J.

Banned
I'm deleting any friend requests any of you may or may not send me. I don't give a shit if you say that you're from PSN/VitaGaf. That means nothing to me unless you specify your gaf name as well. Your Gaf name is the same as your PSN name you say? Wonderful! I however cannot be bothered to remember all your names or to check if it matches someones name on gaf. So, specify your name if you send me a friend request or I'll just delete it.

I feel like this post just solved a lot of those friend request problems for you for sure

Blablurn

Got a question. I got myself a 64GB Vita card.

I already formatted the old 8GB because I sold it on Ebay. The PSN are system bound right? There will be nothing on the old card, innit?

I already formatted the old 8GB because I sold it on Ebay. The PSN are system bound right? There will be nothing on the old card, innit?

If you formatted it you're more than good - they're tied to your account, meaning unless they were logged in as you the system would make them format the card before use anyways.

Even if it did, the new owner of the memory card would be forced to format it once inserted into a different Vita.

Any VitaGAF peeps here still on Million Arthur? Can't seem to get into the game after the 1.11 update. I just hope it's not an IP block thing like what happened to PSO2

nampad

I wasn't aware Sony published Epic Mickey 2 and Muppets Movie on the Vita. Did they do it just to get that content on the handheld?

SCEE is pushing the Vita as a kids platform, makes sense to offer some kids games then.
Wished they would have moneyhatted a PvZ: Garden Warfare port. I bet it would have been exploded with the right marketing. My anecdotal evidence shows it is like crack for kids and I love the game too.

maouvin

It's quite heavenly. Turn off all but classical and have the smoothest ride of your life

Ah, indeed. Headphones on and all.

But then, sometimes you just want to hear all the versions of Girlfriend
edit: duh, I mixed the games up, it isn't Paradise that got all them Girlfriend versions :(

You should demand people to describe their avatars too.

redcrayon

I'm really enjoying Titan Attacks on the Vita, it's a really nice take on Space Invaders.

Music is a bit poor, but I like the upgrade system- keep your multiplier up to get money, if you lose your shields (lives) you lose your multiplier, and extra lives cost money. It's a balance between gaining the big upgrades, and trying not to die so you don't spend your income on extra lives instead.

Little additions like capturing enemy pilots as they parachute down giving a little cash boost, vs losing some if they escape are nice. Also the way so e enemy rockets are nukes that stop you from entering the blast zone without costing you a life, and some enemy ships become projectiles when blown up.

A great little title that works perfectly with the sleep/resume on the Vita, and also a perfect palette cleanser between longer titles.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So it eventually happened. My 32 gig card is full. I thought I just played Spelunky and Binding of Isaac on this thing??! :p

Parakeetman

Seriously if Sony wants to show they are serious about the Vita they need to drop the price of the mem cards further to push for more software sales and get the 64GB out in the West. Since it still has not been released for you guys right?

nampad

Seriously if Sony wants to show they are serious about the Vita they need to drop the price of the mem cards further to push for more software sales and get the 64GB out in the West. Since it still has not been released for you guys right?

Yeah, we still don't have it and it is shocking Sony can't even do the bare minimum to keep the Vita afloat. What do I mean?
Besides still not having the 64GB card, where were Black Friday bundles? Where was a PSN sale for Vita games on Black Friday?

I am surprised they haven't cut the price again. The Vita can't be that expensive. Expensive OLED is gone and only 1 GB internal flash memory. The SoC is pretty old tech today.
Compared to the price of some Android or even Windows tablets that are available right now, the margin must be insane for Sony including the memory cards. The HP Stream 7 tablet costs $99 in the US including 1 year of Office 365. That is HP, not some unknown Chinese manufacturer and tablet producers don't earn any profit after the sale of the product so they have to earn a profit right away.

SerTapTap

Driveclub for $35, any of you all play? Thinking of getting it, sounds like it's pretty much feature complete and fixed now? Good single player?Do people still drive like maniacs in the multiplayer? I love doing that in Burnout Paradise but this doesn't seem like the sort of game where that's fun.

Shizuka

Regarding the Oreshika 2 demo at PSX, Siliconera posted a hands-on:

I was both surprised and delighted to see Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines at the PlayStation Experience. After all, it wasn’t at E3 2014, and is the last of the three Vita games Sony announced on April 14, 2014. Sadly, it wasn’t everything I expected it to be.

Before you start worrying about the quality of the game, let me assuage those fears. My unhappiness with the Oreshika demo at PSX had nothing to do with the game itself. It was a technical issue that became so frustrating that I had to eventually abandon the game. Namely, every few minutes, the Vita would leave Oreshika and go to a black screen, trying to make a connection. At first, I thought I was to blame and accidentally pressing the Home button, since it was running on a slim Vita and I have an original model. But, once it began happening every 2-5 minutes, I realized it was beyond my control.

The constant interruptions were a blight upon what would otherwise have been a very positive experience. The Oreshika demo started with a bit of a surprise. I was able to take a picture of myself with the camera and use that to create my avatar for the proceedings. Seeing that kind of character customization in a preliminary version of a game was an unexpected surprise. Granted, my heroine didn’t end up sharing my likeness, but still. “A” for effort and all.

As for the actual sampling of gameplay, it seemed more about teaching the basics of battling and dungeon crawling, rather than elaborating on the experience or setting the tone. My heroine had two companions with her, as well as a pet ferret. The three women were the primary attackers in battle, though the ferret was a friendly, supporting NPC akin to Nall in Lunar: The Silver Star. It’s a turn-based RPG, so any of you reading could easily jump in and feel comfortable, but there were a few elements that impressed me.

The first is how rewards for a fight are determined. Once a battle begins, slots start turning. Pressing X at the right times lets a player have some measure of control over the rewards will be earned. I didn’t quite figure out the timing, given the brief nature of the experience, but I’m sure others will and perhaps use it to their advantage.

It was also interesting to see a hint at relationship aspects between characters. When choosing what to do on a turn, party members will offer suggestions for attacks. Choosing or ignoring their opinions can influence their feelings toward the hero or heroine. It was unexpected, but makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I mean, if I was an RPG heroine in a party and the leader kept ignoring my ideas, I’d get miffed too!

What I liked most, though, was the way in which a battle can quickly be brought to a close. Each oni party will have a leader. If this specific creature is defeated, it’s an instant win for the player. While it isn’t as brilliant as Earthbound granting an instant win if the party is at a high enough level when running into an enemy, it’s still near the top of the list of “good JRPG ideas.”

It even improved on the time mechanic. In Oreshika, you’re part of a cursed family fighting oni, which means you don’t want to dawdle when it comes to accomplishing goals. Your character may die before anything important gets done! So, when I came upon a dungeon in the demo, I was pleased to see that once you’re in, it automatically takes one month off of your avatar’s life. Which may sound like a lot, but think of the Atelier series. You can spend a week traveling to a location, gathering items, and fighting battles. I’d much rather know right away that going in will take X amount of time, instead of worrying if every move I make could cost me valuable moments.

Admittedly, I didn’t complete the Oreshika demo. When it started seeming like the connection issue was happening more often, I flagged down a PlayStation representative and moved on to another Vita game when troubleshooting began. However, I will say that the time I did spent left me feeling more optimistic in the wake of all those harsh Japanese reviews.

Parakeetman

Regarding the Oreshika 2 demo at PSX, Siliconera posted a hands-on:

Thing is unless he actually played the first game he wouldnt understand the shit that the fans had about the 2nd. Besides the other design issues like as mentioned with the deities constantly running away pre-patch.

The whole "instant win" thing isnt the smartest choice since regardless of time spent in a battle a battle fought is still time shaved off of your "time gauge" for the dungeon trip for that month. Which means you really should be making the most out of fights. The only real reason to off the leader is to ensure you get the treasure. Otherwise if the leader flees you lose all of that.

Shizuka

Thing is unless he actually played the first game he wouldnt understand the shit that the fans had about the 2nd. Besides the other design issues like as mentioned with the deities constantly running away pre-patch.

Most people waiting for the western release haven't played the first game as well, which is why I mentioned earlier that most of those complaints won't apply to them.

SerTapTap

I'd strongly prefer this as well. Though I'll immediately forget who you are if your PSN name doesn't match like mine. Can you set "real name" to display by default on PS4? I've been thinking of just setting my "real name" to Sir TapTap

Oh so it's a Pokemon game

Parakeetman

I'd strongly prefer this as well. Though I'll immediately forget who you are if your PSN name doesn't match like mine. Can you set "real name" to display by default on PS4? I've been thinking of just setting my "real name" to Sir TapTap

Oh so it's a Pokemon game

Its more for character advancement and when the deities are not present due to whatever random reason they went down from the heavens to earth, means you are unable to access them in the menu for when you want to have new offspring with them. Finding them by random in battle or from boss fights just puts them back in the heavens so they are able to be selected from the list again. Though folks wont have to worry about that anymore, since I would imagine the US will have the post patch version with all of the fixes already implemented.

One thing that I know is going to happen is people are going to constantly be asking how do they advance further in dungeons. Since they have specific items that are required to open up locked areas to allow the player to progress to the bosses.

Makes sense, I for one have a PSN name that is very different from the one I use here (and everywhere else as a matter of fact /: ), I too get requests and sometimes I have no idea who that person is.

Tried doing that, only to be told I cannot use digits on the name fields. The blasphemy!

SerTapTap

Tried doing that, only to be told I cannot use digits on the name fields. The blasphemy!

Well, of course, that's obviously not you real name.

- Signed, an actual spikeball

Its more for character advancement and when the deities are not present due to whatever random reason they went down from the heavens to earth

Just a joke--legendary (so deity-like) pokemon that run away are one of my least favorite features in the game, and there's always at least one of 'em these days.

Parakeetman

Well, of course, that's obviously not you real name.

- Signed, an actual spikeball

Just a joke--legendary (so deity-like) pokemon that run away are one of my least favorite features in the game, and there's always at least one of 'em these days.

Ah never bothered really much with the later series so had no idea about that mechanic. For the game though its a bit of a hassle when you are trying to go a certain way with your character growth and the deity that you want is not there, since your characters lives are on a time limit which means you do not have the leisure to go around and try to find them at random when they do go missing. You can trap one in a shrine, but that doesnt really help much either.

SerTapTap

Have they patched Oreshika to fix any of the issues Japanese players complained about (beyond the above-mentioned running deities thing)? Wondering if the localized one will have the same issues. I never played the original but the changes they made still seem unfortunate (and probably too big to just patch) given what I've heard of how the first plays

Parakeetman

Have they patched Oreshika to fix any of the issues Japanese players complained about (beyond the above-mentioned running deities thing)? Wondering if the localized one will have the same issues. I never played the original but the changes they made still seem unfortunate (and probably too big to just patch) given what I've heard of how the first plays

The other stuff is more story related so they cant really fix that. Other bugs and whatnots should have been patched. Also exploits which was ripping equipment off of high lv characters from the data sharing and putting it on your low lv characters so you could blast through the game or lv up fast and become pretty much unstoppable.

bobohoro

32gb? What a fucking pansy. Step your game up, son.

Pf, I'm still rockin' my 8gb and am doing just fine. Not jelous of that 64gb or anything, and having all those games on there, not needing to think about deleting something every few weeks, or not having your favourite games with you all the time, or...you know what? I'm sad now.

Shinriji

Pocket Rumble just reached its goal and one of its stretch goals is a Vita ver., which you could get a code for if you pledge at least $10-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142344178
It is now in its last day of funding so do consider it if you're interested.

Loved to pledge, but the vita stretch goal is so far away, and I wont pledge for a pc version.

it didnt help that the FGC shit on the game with the ripped sprites thing.

Tizoc

Loved to pledge, but the vita stretch goal is so far away, and I wont pledge for a pc version.

it didnt help that the FGC shit on the game with the ripped sprites thing.

I do agree that much of the characters resemble SNK characters too much, but what would constitute as a good original indie character design?
I'd mention Skullgirls but many would disagree, IMO, it has the best character designs of any NEW fighting game ip released in the past gen thus far.

Top Bottom