• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

Khronico

Gimme dem SNK Classics Sonty. Sonty pls.

Garou on Vita would be the best thing ever.

Oh gosh top of the page uh.... Virtues Last Reward is really good so go get that. Just last week I took the plunge and read an entire lp of 999 so I would be ready to play VLR. The time investment was worth it, 999 BLEW MY MIND and I got super hyped to play VLR. If you haven't played 999 go get caught up on that first and THEN get VLR.

Still can't believe they didn't announce PS One/2 emulation at the 20th anniversary event, seemed like a perfect opportunity

Bit late, but I agree. I find it difficult to fathom why they don't have this already, seeing as PSX and PS2 emulation is so advanced now, and it's not like the PS4 release snuck up on them.

I'm surprised so many people think this is a sure thing. What is the incentive for Sony? Sony would be undercutting the sales of PS Now and remakes/remasters. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE PS1/PS2 support on PS4, but I'm not holding my breath.

You already got a pretty complete answer, but I'll give it a shot as well.
The motivation is that old games still sell. Additionally, they're already on the PSN Store. This means that -- assuming they don't just remove all the games on the store -- they're going to have a flagship system that doesn't cater to a sizable portion of their own monopoly on PSX/PS2 games (the other portion playing on original hardware w/ physical copies, which sony no longer profits from) unless they get the emulation up and running. Additionally, the PS4 is now a powerful enough machine to emulate the PS2 quite accurately, and they could add a lot of options to PSX games such as better upscaling/filtering/etc.

SerTapTap

I wouldn't expect up-res/anti-aliasing/etc from their PS1/2 emulators on PS4. Higher res and AA cause a lot of weird issues on some games in emulation, and it's not always an imperfection in the emulator, some games just do weird crap that isn't visible at native res. It'd be cool if it were an option of course and it should be LESS buggy than fpse/PCSX2 and such but I'm not sure it'll happen. Would certainly be nice though.

Heck for now I'd be happy with just the PS1 emulator PS3/PSP/Vita have, it's clearly ready to port to different systems, PS2 will take longer but we should be able to get PS1 fairly quickly. I don't buy the PS Now excuse, they don't even have PS1 games on PS Now yet, and it's a massive waste of tech and bandwidth to stream <1GB games over a moderately high bitrate video stream. PS3 makes sense because PS3 emulation will take ages to be viable. Plus they already have digital distro licensing deals for a lot of these PS1 games.

Also, the single most important part of emulation on PS4 if/when it happens: cloudsaves for PS1 memory cards. The current situation is super annoying across PS3/PSP/PS Vita. Moving saves for more than a single game is an arduous task.

I honestly think if they defaulted for all the fancy options off, and then had some sort of internal database that decided if each title could deal with upres/filtering/etc. individually, and then provided warnings appropriately, that would be a big attraction for people who enjoy the older games. That said, it's quite a bit of work that Sony doesn't seem likely to invest in. I still think it's likely that they'll do something in that vein, but we'll see.

Unrelated: What's the accepted "best" PSP model for playing physical UMDs? I have a 2000 with CFW that plays all my digital games/psx games/etc., but I'd like to play actual UMDs as well, and my UMD slot is broken.

Khronico

Ugh hairline scratches are the worst. I got my vita used and it has one relatively small one right down the center of the screen. Most of the time it's pretty hard to see but on certain games it's really noticeable.

I don't know if this has been posted here already, but Siliconera put up an article about their impressions of Oreshika at PSX. The vita the game was on seems to have been acting up, but aside from that impressions seem alright.

Damn. That sounds awesome. The combat system with your popularity changing and the kill the general system both sound really spectacular. Since I haven't played the first, hopefully the complaints of the JP gamers won't effect me.

autoduelist

Still can't believe they didn't announce PS One/2 emulation at the 20th anniversary event, seemed like a perfect opportunity

Same here. I expected the announcement about a year after release, and using PSX to announce would have hit that mark and been a massive crowdpleaser.

I'm surprised so many people think this is a sure thing. What is the incentive for Sony? Sony would be undercutting the sales of PS Now and remakes/remasters. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE PS1/PS2 support on PS4, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's a sure thing. It's a huge cash cow.

PS Now is aimed at a different demographic long term -- people that don't have playstation devices. But for people that do? Emulation makes far more sense. It's money in their pocket either way, one doesn't cannibalize the other.

It makes a lot of sense to not release it at launch, so it's just a matter of time in my opinion.

SerTapTap

Ugh hairline scratches are the worst. I got my vita used and it has one relatively small one right down the center of the screen. Most of the time it's pretty hard to see but on certain games it's really noticeable.

I have a tiny one on the bottom left, I don't see it 99% of the time but when I do see it (this tiny rainbow sliver) it pains me. Poor baby. I guess I'll get a gross lame dumb screen protector for the LCD. It's already missing the glorious single-pane effect the Vita 1000 had. Oh how I wish they kept OLED and the single-pane aspect. The buttons seem so much better though.

I honestly think if they defaulted for all the fancy options off, and then had some sort of internal database that decided if each title could deal with upres/filtering/etc. individually, and then provided warnings appropriately, that would be a big attraction for people who enjoy the older games. That said, it's quite a bit of work that Sony doesn't seem likely to invest in. I still think it's likely that they'll do something in that vein, but we'll see.

Unrelated: What's the accepted "best" PSP model for playing physical UMDs? I have a 2000 with CFW that plays all my digital games/psx games/etc., but I'd like to play actual UMDs as well, and my UMD slot is broken.

It's totally a possibility, Dolphin and some other emulators basically do this themselves, but I'm not sure Sony would bother.

I think PSP 2000 or 3000 would be the best, I'm unsure of the differences between the two. But the PSP1000 is a monster and the PSP street is garbage, and PSP go is of course not an option. I believe I have a 2000 and no complaints.

Khronico

I have a tiny one on the bottom left, I don't see it 99% of the time but when I do see it (this tiny rainbow sliver) it pains me. Poor baby. I guess I'll get a gross lame dumb screen protector for the LCD. It's already missing the glorious single-pane effect the Vita 1000 had. Oh how I wish they kept OLED and the single-pane aspect. The buttons seem so much better though.

Yeah scratches drive me insane when it comes to handheld devices. My vita already has wear&tear from the previous owner so it's kind of late too worry about scratches although I still try to keep it well maintained.

The OLED model is awesome but I do have some complaints: Battery life is a bit too short for my liking and the weight and ergonomics make extended play uncomfortable for me. Those two problems and me wanting a pristine device are making me consider upgrading to the 2k sometime soon.

I don't know if this has been posted here already, but Siliconera put up an article about their impressions of Oreshika at PSX. The vita the game was on seems to have been acting up, but aside from that impressions seem alright.

I've been interested in this ever since I saw screenshots of it. The artstyle is gorgeous!

SerTapTap

Yeah scratches drive me insane when it comes to handheld devices. My vita already has wear&tear from the previous owner so it's kind of late too worry about scratches although I still try to keep it well maintained.

The OLED model is awesome but I do have some complaints: Battery life is a bit too short for my liking and the weight and ergonomics make extended play uncomfortable for me. Those two problems and me wanting a pristine device are making me consider upgrading to the 2k sometime soon.

Buttons and weight are my only complaint, and I can deal with weight/size/battery life. Buttons are super important and I'd like a second just so I don't destroy the OLED, too.

Is it worth trying to sell my excess 8GB cards and stuff in the BST thread? I only tried to use it to hock my Destiny Ghost Edition and that's kind of a specialty product for a thread like that. not sure anyone still wants 8GB cards though, I sure wouldn't.

I posted that a few pages ago.

My bad, I'm a little behind on GAF this week because of my finals lol.

But yeah it looks pretty good! And one thing that he mentioned, how you can take a picture of your own face, I was wondering if the game builds a face with its own assets that is close to yours, or if it's just the photo slapped on the character model.

My bad, I'm a little behind on GAF this week because of my finals lol.

But yeah it looks pretty good! And one thing that he mentioned, how you can take a picture of your own face, I was wondering if the game builds a face with its own assets that is close to yours, or if it's just the photo slapped on the character model.

they said the avatar didn't come out resembling he/she too closely, so it's definitely within the system's character creation. Similar to Miis.
Oh, it got answered. I totally misread the above comment.

lol, no. Oh gods, no. The game uses its assets, yes.

One thing I was wondering is why the booth Vita tried to connect constantly. Does Oreshika use any online shenanigans while playing?

Ok GOOD lmfao!

they said the avatar didn't come out resembling he/she too closely, so it's definitely within the system's character creation. Similar to Miis.
Oh, it got answered. I totally misread the above comment.

This isn't me here, but NBA2K15's photo mode would like a word with you:

2k15-fail.jpg

For stuff like this is why I had to make sure lmfao!

Here are some examples: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/this-jrpgs-facial-recognition-system-could-be-better/

And as Fish said, beards messes with everything that scans faces. The last picture on the article shows that, and that's with him having a short beard.
I got similar results on the JP demo too (my beard is mightier than his), and then just built a character from scratch.

That link was perfect, thanks, great examples. Guess if we want our character to look like us with the photo we need to shave beforehand uh ahaha.

The game's character creation is also obviously designed for characters to appear to be of Asian decent, so us westerners aren't gonna have a good time with the photo system regardless.

Takao

Banned
I wasn't aware Sony published Epic Mickey 2 and Muppets Movie on the Vita. Did they do it just to get that content on the handheld?

SCEE has had a deal with Disney Interactive for a few years now. Sony has funded and published ports of Disney's games for PSP and Vita. SCEE has positioned the handhelds as devices for the kids, so it's them getting content for that market. Outside of Infinity (which is already getting a Vita port), Disney doesn't really do console games anymore, so I guess Sony decided to make 2014's game an original Muppets title.

daydream

Banned
Dustforce very recently got an expansion of sorts on PC. Wonder if the Vita (or, for that matter, the XBLA) version will get any of that.

Shizuka

Dustforce very recently got an expansion of sorts on PC. Wonder if the Vita (or, for that matter, the XBLA) version will get any of that.

They never bothered to fix the Vita version, I don't think we're getting the expansion, even more so knowing that Capcom is the publisher.

daydream

Banned
They never bothered to fix the Vita version, I don't think we're getting the expansion, even more so knowing that Capcom is the publisher.

Oh, they didn't? That's a shame, I thought I'd heard they had. Although I would have made absolutely sure before triple-dipping, anyway.

Shoddy ports are just the biggest bummer.

autoduelist

what else is good from that sale?
I got SAO from it

I picked up most of the cheaper vita games.

If you get Castlestorm buy the Complete PS3 edition (unless you want it for ps4).
It's cross buy ps3/vita, so you end up with the PS3+Vita versions and 2 DLCs for CHEAPER than the vita version is on sale for by itself.

incpdo

I don't think Sonic Generations is on Vita.

There is only one sonic game on Vita and is Sonic all star racing transformed. The other games are on PSP and are Sonic rivals 1 and 2 that are playable on Vita. Taking into account Charizard avatar and the phrase itself , maybe he is just trolling.

There is only one sonic game on Vita and is Sonic all star racing transformed. The other games are on PSP and are Sonic rivals 1 and 2 that are playable on Vita. Taking into account Charizard avatar and the phrase itself , maybe he is just trolling.
It's on PS Now. Just rented it to see how it plays on Vita and it's pretty good. :/

ZeroAKA

He's a regular in this thread lol.

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the image for the holiday sale has switched over to week 2, even though the week 2 sales are not up yet. You can see 5 of the games on sale.

Nice. I was just thinking about Another World earlier tonight. Might bite if it's cheap enough. Entwined looks neat, too.

And it's not a Charizard avatar. Someone wasn't very good at who's that pokemon.

Clearly squirtle.
Anyone else have an opinion on the psp 2000 vs the 3000? There appear to be differences in battery life and screen quality, and the latter is pretty debatable, sounds like. Anyone care to weigh in?

Top Bottom