• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

antibolo

Banned
Shizuka and 2+2=5: Your entries in the GAF GOTY are incorrectly formatted and will not be tallied by the parser. You need to read the rules.

So, now that I have a Vita 2000, do I get a grip for comfort or a Hori Face cover for portability? I really like my Joypad grip for my 1000.

autoduelist

Any chance of a Flash Sale to start on Friday or Saturday?

Assuming you mean US, I'd say it's unlikely since we're in the midst of a larger sale. BUT... it is Christmas, so despite that it's quite possible.

I like Binding of Isaac very much , Does dont starve compare in any sense with this game, i might be interested in buying the giants edition on Vita. Is a game with replayability like Isaac? I never played that game but the rougelike and survival horror elements that suposely has had me intrigued.

It compares in some ways, but they are very different games.

There is permadeath in both games, and both require you to 'learn' how to play over repeated playthroughs. Additionally, both games are excellent for what they are.

However, at it's heart, BoI is a dual stick shooter. Fast combat, upgrades, pow pow pow.

Don't Starve is much slower paced and is primarily exploration/crafting. You explore the country side (different every time) and collect various resources and items, and combine them in ways to create better and things.

For example: you might find rope and sticks, and come across an area full of rabbit holes and rabbits hopping about. You haven't found any proper weapons yet, and you're hungry, so you combine the sticks and ropes and make snares and put them near the rabbit holes. You then take some more sticks, combine them with a flint, and get a fire going. You now have cooked rabbit for dinner.

The crafting system is ridiculously deep, and I recommend learning by trial and error, not using a guide. You'll learn what you need to search for, etc...

Early on, the goal of the game is basically 'base building', but by base building I mean having a decent fire pit with some storage and food reserves. There are ways to get almost self-sustaining food sources going in game.

Night will come and the monsters will come out, and then eventually winter hits... and there's a lot more 'game' to find (goals/story/etc) once you get past the initial hurdle of simply 'not starving'. There are underground caverns to explore, dangerous monsters to avoid/kill, etc.

At first, you'll struggle to survive the very first night. Then you'll be surviving a week, or a month. And then just when you think you're good, winter will hit. It's all about learning to survive. As mentioned, the tech/crafting tree is very deep, and you'll eventually have a lot of resources at your disposal, and lots to make - structures, weapons, armor, food, magical stuff, storage, etc.

That said, it's not even remotely like BoI in terms of actual gameplay, just some of the mechanics I mentioned. I would watch someone good on youtube playing it for awhile, and see if it's your cup of tea.

For those that think the above sounds great, the game will likely be a favorite of yours - it really is fantastic at what it is, even if not for everyone.

don't starve summary

Gonna second the suggestion that anyone who thought "oh this sounds good" immediately gets the game. One of my favourite games of the best few years.

Also: when you initially play the game, you should probably play without Reign of Giants on, since it makes the game way more difficult and complicated. Also collect lots of sticks and grass. Trust me.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shizuka and 2+2=5: Your entries in the GAF GOTY are incorrectly formatted and will not be tallied by the parser. You need to read the rules.

Do you control everyone? XD
Some habits(using ")" and ":" instead of "." and ";") are stronger than expected lol, it's correct now right?

antibolo

Banned
What do I need to change? Not like I'm terribly excited to get my votes in, I did read the rules once.

Well for starters it's semicolons, not colons, with a space before and after.

Also you're not supposed to specify a platform, especially not inside the game title field.

fz45KOG.jpg

Super Mega Baseball - PS4

This game was made with love. There is an assumption of how arcade baseball games control that has been passed down from RBI Baseball on the NES that Super Mega Baseball said we can do it better. It takes a veteran of arcade baseball games like Baseball Stars some getting used to but once the controls click it is sublime. The 100 levels of difficulty (yes 100 levels of difficulty) is both a pro and con. Pro is that it scales automatically from doing everything for you to minute control of everything that is actually more complicated than Sony's The Show. Great if you want to play your 6 year old daughter so each of you can have a different level and play each other. The con is that the difficultly level is arbitrary and it will take some experimenting to find the right level and you can't do things like set the field to manual and the hitting to auto assist. The looks are cartoony and OK but it really needs a MLB license. You can progress a career mode and do lots of customization but it will still never make it as fun as striking out A-Rod virtually. This is what the new R.B.I. Baseball should have been instead of that turd that was released by the MLB.

8/10

Great lists so far! Alright I had my nominees, now I'm gonna organize them all since I had a day to think about it, I only included consoles that I own:

Vita:
1 - SAO Hollow Fragment (loved the crap out of it, spent countless hours on it, can't wait for Lost Song)
2 - Demon Gaze (ohhh demon gaze. Such a great DRPG, would of been in first if it I hadn't had as much fun as I did with SAO)
3 - Danganronpa 1 and 2 (both came on the same year, both were awesome, gimme moar)

Honorable mention:
- Freedom wars (I recognize its faults, but I had a blast, gameplay was very, very solid)

PS4:
1 - Destiny (hate it all you want, when you are part of an actual clan it is just pure awesome, got almost 250hrs on it so far. 8hrs to do a blind fresh run of the new raid, had to have been the greatest social gaming experience I've had to date)
2 - Transistor (beautiful visuals, superb soundtrack, great gameplay)
3 - Infamous Second Son (man Sucker Punch totally nailed it with this one. I was never a big fan of the Infamous series, but I loved this game)

Honorable mention:
- Wolfenstein (never expected an FPS to have a great story. This one did)

PS3:
1 - Tales of Xillia 2 (loved the first, so I obviously loved this one as well)
2 - Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (sequel to P4A, which takes place after the ending of P4, played it for the story mostly, but the controls are so simple and intuitive that even I, a person who sucks at fighters, enjoyed the game)
3 - Dark Souls 2 (you died)

3DS:
1 - Persona Q (it's persona. It's etrian odyssey. Need I say more?)
2 - Bravely Default (second half fell flat for me, but I loved the jobs system and how quirky the characters were. Keeping an eye on the second one)
3 - Fantasy Life (fun little game with a load of stuff to do)

GAF have I done good? Or did I write a shit list :p

SerTapTap

It was Nicalis? Oh. I kind of hope they're locked in a cage fixing Binding of Isaac Rebirth. I figured Terry would do it himself, didn't he do the Ouya port as a pretty much spur of the moment thing?

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Store Sneak Peek: December 23rd 2014

PS4 Games
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Trine Enchanted Edition

PS3 Games
Resogun
Shake Spears!

Vita Games
Broken Sword 5: Serpent’s Curse Episode 2
Fieldrunners 2
Shake Spears! (not mentioned during the Blogcast, but launched simultaneously in EU)
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Resogun

I'm still waiting for possible Grinsia Vita.

Kemco were talking about Vita recently: https://twitter.com/KEMCO_OFFICIAL/statuses/543222287789355009

Dunno what that was about tho.

Hey all, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the BL2 Vita bundle. Thank you for all of the advice. It should arrive from Amazon on Sunday. What's the first PS+ backlog game I should play?

Shizuka

Hey all, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the BL2 Vita bundle. Thank you for all of the advice. It should arrive from Amazon on Sunday. What's the first PS+ backlog game I should play?

Did you download them all? If you did, I'd start with Dragon's Crown or Gravity Rush.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I saw that Square gave news on Final Fantasy games(Agito+ still has no release date lol) at Jump Festa, no news about Saga?

Yasumi

Banned
I am kinda surprised that the game isn't mature. Game has some Limbo death sequences.
Not quite Limbo level, since Mion's death animation is the same in almost every case, just falling back and lying on the ground. Some of the pixel scenes do get close to M-rated stuff though.

fz45KOG.jpg

Super Mega Baseball - PS4

This game was made with love. There is an assumption of how arcade baseball games control that has been passed down from RBI Baseball on the NES that Super Mega Baseball said we can do it better. It takes a veteran of arcade baseball games like Baseball Stars some getting used to but once the controls click it is sublime. The 100 levels of difficulty (yes 100 levels of difficulty) is both a pro and con. Pro is that it scales automatically from doing everything for you to minute control of everything that is actually more complicated than Sony's The Show. Great if you want to play your 6 year old daughter so each of you can have a different level and play each other. The con is that the difficultly level is arbitrary and it will take some experimenting to find the right level and you can't do things like set the field to manual and the hitting to auto assist. The looks are cartoony and OK but it really needs a MLB license. You can progress a career mode and do lots of customization but it will still never make it as fun as striking out A-Rod virtually. This is what the new R.B.I. Baseball should have been instead of that turd that was released by the MLB.

8/10
Huh. Looks really cool. Is there a demo of this one?

Also, I've gotta say a big thanks for doing these little quick impressions, Fried. That's a lot of time and money spent.

komorebi

I finally got a PS4 along with Amazon's two free games deal. I got TLOU with the promotion and right now I'm trying to choose to between Far Cry 4 or Destiny.

How is Far Cry 4 on PS4 and is Destiny even worth getting? I mostly game on PC and haven't bought FC4 yet, but I plan to if I don't get it on PS4. So that's the only reason I'm looking at Destiny since its a console exclusive... any takers for advice?

I really want to get started on VLR, but I haven't finished 999 yet (got about 2/3 the endings). I have the DS and iOS versions, and was wondering if it's ok to go through the iOS version and skip the puzzles since I've done most of them before and just want the story. What do you guys think?

Any deals on Vita memory cards in the next two weeks? I just received a 2000 as an xmas gift (after giving one to someone else as a gift) and could use 16- 32GB card. :)

Producer

I really want to get started on VLR, but I haven't finished 999 yet (got about 2/3 the endings). I have the DS and iOS versions, and was wondering if it's ok to go through the iOS version and skip the puzzles since I've done most of them before and just want the story. What do you guys think?

havent played the ios versiob but that seems fine, as far as i know they only removed the puzzles and the original story remains intact.

make sure to get the true ending (requirement for true ending is you have to have seen the SAFE ending first, not sure if this still applies to ios version)

Any deals on Vita memory cards in the next two weeks? I just received a 2000 as an xmas gift (after giving one to someone else as a gift) and could use 16- 32GB card. :)

16GB cards are $29.99 on Amazon (third party seller) right now, but limited stock.

havent played the ios versiob but that seems fine, as far as i know they only removed the puzzles and the original story remains intact.

make sure to get the true ending (requirement for true ending is you have to have seen the SAFE ending first, not sure if this still applies to ios version)

Yeah, I'm definitely going for TRUE ending.

So I was playing FIFA on my PS4 until the power was shutdown, when it went back up I turned on my PS4 and now it's on Safe Mode and there're 7 options.
can someone tell me what to do?

So I was playing FIFA on my PS4 until the power was shutdown, when it went back up I turned on my PS4 and now it's on Safe Mode and there're 7 options.
can someone tell me what to do?

Did the power in your home/electrical socket where the PS4 was plugged into go out while you were playing?

And I assume you see this screen:
1.jpg

Just choose Option 1: Restart the PS4. That'll reboot the PS4 and it'll go back to normal mode. The system might scan the HDD to see if there are any errors, just let it do its thing and you'll get back to the main menu soon.

For future reference, an explanation of all the safe mode options can be found here.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm back bitches. Finally got the plat for Project Diva F and actually upgraded to a 32GB card yesterday. Downloading Senran Cooking and SAO right now. I feel like I've hit te next level in Vita entertainment.

Did the power in your home/electrical socket where the PS4 was plugged into go out while you were playing?

And I assume you see this screen:
1.jpg

Just choose Option 1: Restart the PS4. That'll reboot the PS4 and it'll go back to normal mode. The system might scan the HDD to see if there are any errors, just let it do its thing and you'll get back to the main menu soon.

For future reference, an explanation of all the safe mode options can be found here.

I did exactly that, the Safe Mode screen still shows up .

I did exactly that, the Safe Mode screen still shows up .

It still boots you into safe mode even you choose option 1? Did you try holding the power button for a couple of seconds to manually power off the system, then turn it back on to see if you could boot up normally? If you get into safe mode again you might have to choose Option 5: Rebuild Database.

Try asking in the PS4 Troubleshooting and Q/A Thread. There might be some posters who had the same experience as you.

Tech-Wolf

So I just got a vita as an early Christmas gift and looking for suggestion for the system.I currently only have danganrompa 1 and Tales of Heart R. I'm planning on also getting danganrompa 2 when I can find it. Also I plan to get corpse party down the road.

Based on those title I'm looking for additional suggestion for more game for the vita since I never lurked in the vita territory.

There's tearaway that sounded interesting but since it is getting a ps4 version I will wait for that one. Also, I'm not interested in P4Golden.

In case of, I have a ps3 and ps4 and I don't want PS plus.

thanks in advance

edit: is there's any solution to fix a white pixel(or how ever it is the name of a reverse burned pixel)? my vita as one apparent when the screen is pitchblack.

It still boots you into safe mode even you choose option 1? Did you try holding the power button for a couple of seconds to manually power off the system, then turn it back on to see if you could boot up normally? If you get into safe mode again you might have to choose Option 5: Rebuild Database.

Try asking in the PS4 Troubleshooting and Q/A Thread. There might be some posters who had the same experience as you.
I don't know what's wrong with my PS4, I tried to chose option 5 to rebuild the Database but it just shutdown, tried to to update but an error happens, and initializing will delete everything.
Is my PS4 done for?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
its way to complicated to do it on my PS4, I dont even do this with my brothers account any more since I have to be logged in to his account to play the games he has bought.

All you do is activate as primary and then deactivate it online, as long as they dont delete account they can play the game fine on their PS4 and on any account

only downside is 2 PS4s per six months when PS3 was 5 or something

All you do is activate as primary and then deactivate it online, as long as they dont delete account they can play the game fine on their PS4 and on any account

only downside is 2 PS4s per six months when PS3 was 5 or something

deactivate what online?
I don't want to deactivate my brothers PS4 as a primary just so I can play his games

Top Bottom