• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

Gambit

quick question that is not worthy of a thread on its own:

Just got a Vita and am about to set it up. I am in Germany, but my voucher for games is in all European languages (looks that way).

My question is: What country to set my Vita to? Germany, Austria, or England?

It'll have to be European, I imagine, for the vouchers.
Are there any reasons not to use the German store? (i.e. some games not available)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok Natural Doctine download(2.8gb) is halfway while Neptunia(3gb) still have to start.

I was playing Putty Squad and i was thinking that it's not bad at all(well i have weird tastes and i'm able to ignore faults if i think i could like the game), especially later in the game enemies and settings change more often(even for a single level), graphics are not that bad, there are vertical levels etc... until i found a level with one of the background images not cropped at all lol(the white over the houses is not suppose to be there).

2014_12_28_005447.jpg

But despite everything I'll finish it for sure because i'm liking it and if it's not hard i'll platinum it too.

Bittercup

quick question that is not worthy of a thread on its own:

Just got a Vita and am about to set it up. I am in Germany, but my voucher for games is in all European languages (looks that way).

My question is: What country to set my Vita to? Germany, Austria, or England?

It'll have to be European, I imagine, for the vouchers.
Are there any reasons not to use the German store? (i.e. some games not available)
I assume you don't have a PSN account already?
The content on the individual PSN stores mostly differentiates based on who manages the region. For example the German and UK store will have pretty much the same games on it (both SCEE) (only exceptions would be games that are censored only in Germany like Wolfenstein on PS4 but I don't think that's the case with any Vita game so far) while the US store has different games (SCEA). This is less a problem with newer releases but in regards to PS1 classics the US store is so much better. Especially since they are 60hz versions instead of the (often bad) PAL ports that are on the SCEE stores.

Codes for games are usually region specific. If your voucher is European it will most likely work on any European store, probably even Australia since it's covered by SCEE as well but it will certainly not work on the US store. The same is true for DLC. If you buy a retail game from the UK the DLC on the German store almost always work (unfortunately there are exceptions) US-DLC wont.

One thing to consider: While modern games are released with multiple languages supported PS1 classics are not. If you buy for example Metal Gear Solid on the German store it will be German-only while on the UK store it's English-only.

Another thing to consider: Sony is very picky in regards to payment methods. If you want to pay with a German credit card that's fine on the German store but already not guaranteed for other European stores and highly unlikely for the US store. You can buy PSN cards on stores like amazon and add it to your PSN wallet as a workaround.

The content on the individual PSN stores mostly differentiates based on who manages the region. For example the German and UK store will have pretty much the same games on it (both SCEE) (only exceptions would be games that are censored only in Germany like Wolfenstein on PS4 but I don't think that's the case with any Vita game so far) while the US store has different games (SCEA).

I don't know about censoring specifically, but there are at least a few Vita games not actually released in Germany.

I don't know about censoring specifically, but there are at least a few Vita games not actually released in Germany.

Which games are those?

EDIT: I only know of Sorcery Saga because they didn't want to pay for an USK rating. But that game isn't really a big loss and can be imported since it has a physical release.

Gambit

The content on the individual PSN stores mostly differentiates based on who manages the region. For example the German and UK store will have pretty much the same games on it (both SCEE) (only exceptions would be games that are censored only in Germany like Wolfenstein on PS4 but I don't think that's the case with any Vita game so far) while the US store has different games (SCEA). This is less a problem with newer releases but in regards to PS1 classics the US store is so much better. Especially since they are 60hz versions instead of the (often bad) PAL ports that are on the SCEE stores.

Codes for games are usually region specific. If your voucher is European it will most likely work on any European store, probably even Australia since it's covered by SCEE as well but it will certainly not work on the US store. The same is true for DLC. If you buy a retail game from the UK the DLC on the German store almost always work (unfortunately there are exceptions) US-DLC wont.

One thing to consider: While modern games are released with multiple languages supported PS1 classics are not. If you buy for example Metal Gear Solid on the German store it will be German-only while on the UK store it's English-only.

Another thing to consider: Sony is very picky in regards to payment methods. If you want to pay with a German credit card that's fine on the German store but already not guaranteed for other European stores and highly unlikely for the US store. You can buy PSN cards on stores like amazon and add it to your PSN wallet as a workaround.

Thank you very much. I should have mentioned, I do have a German PSN account, but only downloaded two PS3 games on it. So it would not be a big loss.

You make a great point about the different language options for PS1 classics. Not really wanting to play through German FFVII again. Hmm, now I am torn. UK or stick with the other account.

In any case, thank you again for the detailed response.

Oh I wonder which. I will investigate. Thank you, too.

Marcel

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this but are there any good methods for dealing with "the battery level is low" glitch where a charged Vita will randomly act like the battery is dying?

deadfolk

I just checked the front page and I have not played a single game released this month, so I'm going to have to abstain from the vote.

I guess December is pretty barren because everyone wants to release in November so the punters will buy in good time for Christmas.

VLiberty

Out of boredom I launched Titan Attacks which I tried the day it went free with plus. Playing for a bit more than half an hour, I went through the entire game. Once you've beaten the last boss, the game restarts but you'll still have you upgrades, which means that you'll just have to mash X to win.
I feel bad for those who bought this game at 10€. it's nothing more than a nice way to spend 30 mins/1 hour.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I played Natural Doctrine a little and honestly i don't see the overwhelming complexity, it looks really simple to me, the current character(player or enemy) allow the surrounding allies to act and the farther they are the bigger the bonus, that's all, all the rest is standard srpg stuff.

Tizoc

A proposition
This thread has mainly been about PSVita discussion, PS3 and PS4 discussion is very scarce.
Why not make 1 thread for PS4+PS3 and one for Vita? I know what the mods have been aiming by making a united thread, but as is I see more talk of the Vita than the other 2.

A proposition
This thread has mainly been about PSVita discussion, PS3 and PS4 discussion is very scarce.
Why not make 1 thread for PS4+PS3 and one for Vita? I know what the mods have been aiming by making a united thread, but as is I see more talk of the Vita than the other 2.

Because doing that would probably get the user that made that separation a ban. Also the threads would probably be locked. We have had talks about this, but the mods don't agree that the Vita deserves a thread of its own.

daydream

Banned
Back to this discussion, lol. Having an extra Vita thread would lead to two slightly more inactive threads than one decently active one.

Out of boredom I launched Titan Attacks which I tried the day it went free with plus. Playing for a bit more than half an hour, I went through the entire game. Once you've beaten the last boss, the game restarts but you'll still have you upgrades, which means that you'll just have to mash X to win.
I feel bad for those who bought this game at 10€. it's nothing more than a nice way to spend 30 mins/1 hour.

Yeah, it needs to introduce some kind of new incentive after it starts looping. Pretty obvious shortcoming, too, I don't know why it wasn't addressed.

Tizoc

Because doing that would probably get the user that made that separation a ban. Also the threads would probably be locked. We have had talks about this, but the mods don't agree that the Vita deserves a thread of its own.

I mostly want a thread to discuss PS4 in general really =X

Is Battlefield 4 worth $12? It's the standard version. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask.

The game was broken as shit at launch. Now? Its one of the greatest competitive shooter experiences you can have on PS4. I'd say yes and if you enjoy it, get the expansions.

What is the reasoning behind not allowing the Vita it's own thread? It seems to me that it would probably generate more discussion than an individual ps3/ps4 one.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Drop this week is just as amazing as the previous weeks in December. I'm speechless.

Edit: GotM will be tough in January. Both Duke and Manny? :O

Edit 2:
What is the reasoning behind not allowing the Vita it's own thread? It seems to me that it would probably generate more discussion than an individual ps3/ps4 one.
For the record, I have lobbied mods privately for a separation because even though I love my PSV, I clearly have far different tastes in software from most PSV fans in this thread and probably have more interest in a straight-up PSN thread with more even PS3/4/V coverage. Just my 2¢, and no offense intended toward the other PSV fans in here - I'm just acknowledging that split threads might serve the communities here better.

What we were told is that since both threads had little movement, they decided to group them together.

I've seen much worse threads getting created, and nothing was done about them, so to be quite honest I have no idea why it's such a big deal but let's just drop it. We have discussed this countless times already, and it never goes anywhere.

ZeroAKA

Diablo 3 might be my most played console game ever. I should probably go for the platinum at some point.

Still trying to decide whether to buy DA:I before the sale ends tomorrow morning. My PS4 backlog is growing...

Diablo 3 might be my most played console game ever. I should probably go for the platinum at some point.

Still trying to decide whether to buy DA:I before the sale ends tomorrow morning. My PS4 backlog is growing...

Go for it! I got the Platinum in August, felt really satisfying. It's not particularly difficult, just time consuming. Dragon Age is worth it at that price.

Ground zeroes worth $6.80?
And what MGS games should I play before it?

Yes, it's worth it. If you want to get the full experience, play all the MGS games, in release order. If you don't have time for that watch some Lets Plays or read the wiki for the plot. It gets pretty complicated.

Ground Zeroes itself isn't heavy on plot, but it does feature Big Boss and characters from Peace Walker. I'd suggest reading up on that so you can understand the general situation in Ground Zeroes.

SerTapTap

Talk about PS4 then, it's fine here jeez.

Enjoying Freedom Wars a lot, pacing issues are (IMO) immediately addressed by the fast travel option, though a skip cutscene feature would be good too.

Ground zeroes worth $6.80?
And what MGS games should I play before it?

Yes, main "story" is short, but the value is in the gameplay, sandbox nature and multiple missions. Game has several (I forget, like 8?) missions, all on the same large map with different starting points, objectives, enemy patterns, very fun if you're playing it for the stealth gameplay, some of my fav gameplay since Dishonored, a solid step up from MGS4. IF you only want the story, eh, there's story, mostly from the cassette tapes, but it's really not a game you should play to only do the main mission once and never touch it again. IF that's your plan don't bother IMO, unless 1-2 hours of pretty good gameplay, a twist and a cliffhanger is worth $7 to you.

In theory, Peace Walker is first so should be played first, but that would be an insane amount of gameplay to get the backstory before a pretty short story-wise game. I'm not the biggest MGS fan in the world but personally I feel okay having skipped PW and am personally ready for TPP

Heel

what is it that you guys want to discuss that isn't already being discussed in the first 3 pages of the gaming forum....?

It's not so much I want to talk about something, I want to read about the platform I own. This thread is inundated with Vita talk that I have no use for.

Anyone out there with a desire to make PS4 threads? Maybe ask a mod to reconsider the situation now that everyone is in Community.

It's not so much I want to talk about something, I want to read about the platform I own. This thread is inundated with Vita talk that I have no use for.

Anyone out there with a desire to make PS4 threads? Maybe ask a mod to reconsider the situation now that everyone is in Community.

The hundreds of people who have made PS4 threads, perhaps?

You're making up a problem that doesn't exist.

where's the ps3 discussion at though

still going strong in 2015.

This is actually a reasonable question. Honestly I think a PS3 thread along the lines of
PS3 Discussion Thread for Late Adopters
would see a lot of mileage from people like me who always jump into console gens late.
Btw, Zero you should add some sort of note in the OP along the lines of "All questions related to PS3, PS4, and PSV are welcome here" so that people don't have to add the "dunno if this is the right thread but..." disclaimer.

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this but are there any good methods for dealing with "the battery level is low" glitch where a charged Vita will randomly act like the battery is dying?
Turning off wifi usually helps for me.

Though that's not really a solution if you're trying to play online. :(

Producer

This is actually a reasonable question. Honestly I think a PS3 thread along the lines of would see a lot of mileage from people like me who always jump into console gens late.

thats a neat idea for a thread.

would probably be filled with everyone recommending last of us and uncharted though

Top Bottom