• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

SerTapTap

Can't wait for axiom verge. The previews got me antsy, whole game is going to be amazing.

Been playing Freedom Wars while I'm sick. The AI's rather impressive or at least merciful, I can basically take on one Abductor solo with my Accessory and leave the other 3 + accessories to play with the other and they seem to mostly keep it occupied and do about as much damage as I do or more. In Soul Sacrifice I mostly used my allies for healing or an instant burst of damage upon sacrificing them. Also the AI is pretty good about rushing to heal you if they have the healing thorn.

Freedom Wars people: What exactly does weapon power mean? Is it per bullet or how much damage a full clip inflicts?

It's gotta be per-bullet looking at the stats. Also per clip wouldn't make sense for melee. Though melee is weird and has charged attacks and such, so it seems like a pretty rough measure.

Level design is top tier, with the exception of the final boss. Apparently Cambridge is doing the next mainline KZ, which means I have to buy the next mainline KZ.

Is that official? They do great work

Oh hi top of the page uh buy freedom wars I guess

ryseing

Seriously if those guys get a good writer they should be golden. Highly talented team from the product they put out with Mercs.

Absolutely. MP suite wasn't half bad either, given the Vita's limitations.

Mercs is the best FPS I have played in the past few years, and unfortunately gets no love outside of threads like these due to VIta. Gameplay is tight and visceral and the level design is open enough to allow for plenty of options.

Now give that team a PS4 level budget with some decent writing? Could be a classic.

Is that official? They do great work

Nah, just hearsay. From what I've gathered, main Guerrilla is moving on to that new action RPG IP, and Cambridge had their Vita title that was in early development cancelled. I think they did some work on the map packs for SF? Handing over the full series seems to be the next logical step.

autoduelist

He seems to be living in some sort of bubble where he just imagines that those companies dont read gaming forums and see the type of train wreck they picked up.

Can you stop being a jerk to me? First you accuse me of being a plant because I really love a game you don't, doubling down and being more insulting when I said I wasn't, and now I 'live in a bubble'. Aren't personally attacks against TOS here? Because it's seriously annoying - I don't talk to you like that. There's no point in communicating with you if you're going to act like that. I mean, seriously, the entirety of vitagaf is awesome, please help keep it that way.

Most companies are risk adverse. If they get burnt bad once, it's less likely, not more likely, they'll try again in the same market. No company in their right mind would see the sales of the localization of Mind Zero and think 'hey, that means we should try another game!'. They might still try another game, but that's not the message not buying a localized drpg sends. Even if they read forums and get some sense of why it bombed, it's that much harder to convince them to bring the next one over, not easier. A success like Demon Gaze might get us more drpgs. A failure like MZ is unlikely to cause 'better DRPGs', just less.

It's the same reason when a game changes direction for a sequel and bombs, it's more likely the franchise will be dropped than get another sequel that 'goes back to it's roots'. Both happen (Red Faction on one side, Dragon Age on the other) but going extinct is more likely.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Absolutely. MP suite wasn't half bad either, given the Vita's limitations.

Mercs is the best FPS I have played in the past few years, and unfortunately gets no love outside of threads like these due to VIta. Gameplay is tight and visceral and the level design is open enough to allow for plenty of options.

Now give that team a PS4 level budget with some decent writing? Could be a classic.

Nah, just hearsay. From what I've gathered, main Guerrilla is moving on to that new action RPG IP, and Cambridge had their Vita title that was in early development cancelled. I think they did some work on the map packs for SF? Handing over the full series seems to be the next logical step.

Asides from Gravity Daze, it most def was one of the titles that pushed the limits and made good use of the features the system has available.

Thats one thing which was missing from KZSF was the usual violent melee kills that the series had. Really do think that could have been either due to 2 reasons First one being due to it being a flagship launch title they couldnt do something too violent as it would be getting a lot of the spotlight and / or 2. they just did not have time to make a bunch of unique anims. But Id be leaning more towards that it had to do with 1.

The worst part was they really did waste the setting for KZSF. Since that whole east / west type of setting with the 2 factions could have made for some crazy ass scenarios.

Though they did do a lot of cool things with the title, but did not like how you were stuck with certain weapons.

Man if the Cambridge studio does get the next title that should be pretty awesome. I still wonder why not that many people play MP though, since its pretty well balanced overall. Though in KZSF I didnt like the maps as much as previous titles. The ones that initially came with the game. Apparently the bots didnt either with how they pathed around the maps all strange. lol

Xenoflare

I hesitated to buy KZ Merc due to the fact that I suffer from motion sickness from FPS games, even at 30fps.

This really sucks.

I wonder if the 5 inch screen would make a difference.

Saw the YT video. And it made me wonder. What if Sony/Playstation creates a "complain" box for Playstation (Mobile) games in the Vita store? This video shows that Solbrain is a horrible game. 3 min and you can't even find 1 point? And it has lag? Sony/Playstation. Please remove this game(and the sequels) :X.

I would think that would be a good idea. There are good games on Playstation Mobile but they are being buried by real trash. I guess it is the same problem with iOS and Android games.

Parakeetman

I hesitated to buy KZ Merc due to the fact that I suffer from motion sickness from FPS games, even at 30fps.

This really sucks.

I wonder if the 5 inch screen would make a difference.

If you get motion sickness wouldnt suggest it. Since your eyes already are strained as is playing on a smaller screen and add an FPS to that + your condition cant be a good thing.

Too bad though considering it is a very well made title.

Xenoflare

If you get motion sickness wouldnt suggest it. Since your eyes already are strained as is playing on a smaller screen and add an FPS to that + your condition cant be a good thing.

Too bad though considering it is a very well made title.

Definitely, it's trailer is one of the very few games that actually wowed me. It looks unbelievable, and from the reviews (community or media) the gameplay is just as good as it looks.

If there is a TPS with that quality on the Vita I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Of course that's only a dream.

Parakeetman

Definitely, it's trailer is one of the very few games that actually wowed me. It looks unbelievable, and from the reviews (community or media) the gameplay is just as good as it looks.

If there is a TPS with that quality on the Vita I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Of course that's only a dream.

While its not perfect and cant really be compared to KZ:M, Unit 13 was decent for level based third person shooting. Id imagine its pretty cheap by now too. Dont really expect like a story and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8h0uivF7M

If you have not place peace walker also, that game was a pretty solid title.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Personally I enjoyed UC GA more than KZM not taking multiplayer in to account. I think the gunplay was the best in the series. It has some gimmicky touch stuff but I didn't mind for the most part. So yeah I think we already have a TPS of that quality. Plus I really liked Unit 13.

Xenoflare

While its not perfect and cant really be compared to KZ:M, Unit 13 was decent for level based third person shooting. Id imagine its pretty cheap by now too. Dont really expect like a story and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8h0uivF7M

If you have not place peace walker also, that game was a pretty solid title.

I had Unit 13 since it was on plus and it sadly didn't click with me, I don't know what was it but I just didn't enjoy the short time that I played it.

I might give it another chance when I have a bigger memory card.

Edit: I almost forgot about Re:Revelations 2, although I'm cautiously optimistic about it since it might be a choppy watered down port.

Parakeetman

I had Unit 13 since it was on plus and it sadly didn't click with me, I don't know what was it but I just didn't enjoy the short time that I played it.

I might give it another chance when I have a bigger memory card.

Its just mission based gameplay really. For those that just want a time waster. The controls were pretty decent and the general mechanics worked. Though for someone wanting more than that can see why they would not be too happy with the title.

SerTapTap

Every JRPG should have:
- The text rewind, speed up and VA replay features of the Neptunia series
- The fast travel and objective info of Freedom Wars

It's amazing these features are in lesser known titles and not totally standard. I'd never be lost when returning to a JRPG again if Freedom War's system was common, and being able to skip stuff and replay later is actually really amazing. In Neptunia PP you can even skip a whole cutscene, pause, then go back and read or LISTEN to a fairly large backlog of what was said. Great for that whole "oh, I guess start skips cutscenes instead of pausing them, GREAT" moments

Christian

Hey, duders. I have $40 PSN credit from Christmas. I'm looking at Monster Monpiece, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate. I could swear MM was just $23, but now it's back to $30. SSD is only $17, which seems like an absurd deal, but I have Phantasy Star Nova and Freedom Wars and I don't really know if I technically need another hunting game at the moment. I definitely won't play it right now, but if it's not normally $17, I feel obligated to get it at that price. And PJS is just a good game, I'd like to have that on PS4 and Vita and it seems like a good one to play in relatively short bursts. Any thoughts?

incpdo

Gravity Rush 2 is a zero dollar game on Vita.

Because it isn't out yet.

It's a zero dollar game on PS4 as well. I wasn't going to buy it anyways as I don't like the first one.
Omg. Objectivity is zero in this comment.
You should buy the amazing solbrain games from psm

Shun

Hey, duders. I have $40 PSN credit from Christmas. I'm looking at Monster Monpiece, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate. I could swear MM was just $23, but now it's back to $30. SSD is only $17, which seems like an absurd deal, but I have Phantasy Star Nova and Freedom Wars and I don't really know if I technically need another hunting game at the moment. I definitely won't play it right now, but if it's not normally $17, I feel obligated to get it at that price. And PJS is just a good game, I'd like to have that on PS4 and Vita and it seems like a good one to play in relatively short bursts. Any thoughts?

Save that money for God Eater 2 Rage Burst.

Parakeetman

Why dont you just hang onto it for a while. Seeing as you already have the doubt in your mind about not wanting another "hunting" game. Though will say this even though there is a lot I dont like about SSD in general, the story is pretty solid as the writing and characters are good.

incpdo

even thou is qualified as a hunting game . soul sacrifice delta is a lot different than those 2 titles you mentioned and it is worth every cent of those 17 dollars. Buy that and resogun if you don't have it.

VLiberty

Can't wait for axiom verge. The previews got me antsy, whole game is going to be amazing.

227839420.gif

#1 most wanted game on Vita. Then Hotline Miami 2. Then Shovel Knight. Then GeoWars3, Olliolli 2, Hyper Lighter, Not a hero & a long long list

incpdo

227839420.gif

#1 most wanted game on Vita. Then Hotline Miami 2. Then Shovel Knight. Then GeoWars3, Olliolli 2, Hyper Lighter, Not a hero & a long long list
All of them. The "glitch" concept of Axiom verge is making me wanted it more. Hotline Miami already has excellent music from jasper Byrne and seems to be much better than the first game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Got to play Chasm and Axiom verge demos at gamestop today.

Cannot fucking wait for Axiom Verge, it's a fun classic MegaMan/Metroid hybrid. I really like the oppressive art design and music.

Chasm was like a 2D Dark souls-lite.
Played Chasm too tonight. Good looking! Definitely looking forward to both of these now!

Parakeetman

Im really hoping the Crypt of the NecroDancer does well so that the devs consider bringing it to the Vita. Since seems like the perfect title for the handheld. Fantastic music too.

Picked it up on the steam sale and would imagine Id play it a ton if it was on a portable system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8TlAtLu2Y

Downside is that if they dont have a dev kit and such, would make it a bit hard... :/

Sony should approach them since its a pretty awesome little title thats got class and seems to jive well with their other indie lineup.

cyborg009

Banned
I really hope guerrilla games goes wild with their new IP. Also why do people keep saying Gravity Rush 2 no one ever said it was a sequel. It will probably get a tearaway unfolded release.

Takao

Banned
"You rang?"

No, Unity-chan rang.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't banned this dev yet. He's been spamming the store with no effort content since the end of summer. They banned one PSM dev (or at least removed all his games) who was just re-skinning the PSM devkit samples. I saw that dev wind up making Wii U eShop games lol.

Parakeetman

No, Unity-chan rang.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't banned this dev yet. He's been spamming the store with no effort content since the end of summer. They banned one PSM dev (or at least removed all his games) who was just re-skinning the PSM devkit samples. I saw that dev wind up making Wii U eShop games lol.

Which dev is it again?

netguy503

IS PSN Store even updating tomorrow? Didn't get a drop this week. If not, are we still getting the plus announcement on Wednesday of this week?

Chuy

Child of Light. Seriously, it's amazing.
If you wanted to try something different I would have suggested Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc though its not on sale apparently.

Soul Sacrifice Delta is under 20 USD though
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...a-psvita:up9000-pcsa00152_00-regularbundle000
good story and enough content to be well worth the price of admission.

If you liked Persona 4 and dont mind going backwards in the series / platform (psp) there is Persona 3 Portable 19.99
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...a-psvita:up9000-pcsa00152_00-regularbundle000

Gravity rush is one of those few games that makes actual good use of the PSVs features.
That's for the suggestions! I'll keep them in mind :D
Again i'll probably buy them at a later date when they're on sale and i also waiting to see if they're gonna do a 15 for 15 sale akin to the 14 for 14 one earlier this year

Good man, add me up, the more Destiny players the better: blewjayy :3

I can get behind the Danganronpa and Soul Sacrifice Delta recommendations. If I were you though, I'd pick Danganronpa. For grinding, you already have Destiny, having both that and SSD would make you ultimately abandon one in favor of the other aha. Danganronpa has a great story to tell, so it can fill the void that Destiny will definitely leave on you. You can play both, both are completely different genres, and both are a ton of fun.
I'll add you when friends list actually shows up for me but if i recall correctly you're rocking the ps4 version right? Only got ps3/pstv at the moment sadly ;/

But wouldn't they also simply not answer that question if they weren't supposed to say anything??

I'm gonna hype.
Could've been a type-0 though...

Dawg

I know this isn't really the place to ask but I wanted an active thread.

I've been noticing this faint electrical noise my PS4 makes. It's not loud but noticeable enough when there is no music playing. It's not constant either. Happens every few seconds. It's hard to describe. Kinda like electrical crackling. And it's not cracking noise from the heat expanse. It's way different and also way less noisy. It kinda bothers me though because it's one of those cannot unhear thingies.

Could it be the HDD? I've heard this particular noise before on a computer, I think.

autoduelist

Final Horizon - Vita (ps+) ---

I plat'd this today. It's tower defense on vita - and it feels almost made for it. Unlike many tower defense games with a couple dozen waves, all the missions in this game are pretty short (over in 90 seconds, often) and a bit more frantic, sort of a 'action tower defense'.

You tap build positions to get an easy to use option wheel, build on preset spots, and upgrade as per normal. Build resources, get some guns going, upgrade, etc. Fully upgraded weapons can also be boosted for 50 spacebux which puts them on berserk speed.

Enemies are robotic bugs, the standards -- grunts, tanks, fliers, diggers, etc. You've got machine guns, mortars, flame, electric, missles. There's no 'slow' gun because it's clear this game is meant to be played a bit more frantically.

Plat was simple. Nothing particularly hard (maybe one challenge) and the 'kill x bugs of type y' trophies are very reasonable and you'll be nearly there after doing the campaign and challenges.

Fun little game. I told myself I'd even pick up the DLC missions if they were 2.99 or under, but they were 3.99.

The game isn't reinventing tower defense and I've played plenty better. But it's not bad, and it's also nice for a handheld.

--------------

Carnage Heart EXA - psp

I'm on chapter 6 and it's still tutorial. I kid you not. I want to love this game, but it's really testing my patience.

I plat'd Monster Monpiece under duress. I bought it due to being starved for card games on vita. The card game mechanics are actually solid, but the AI is atrocious and the plot is probably the worst dreck I've ever experienced (I honestly can't think of anything more vapid and phoned in). So while the mechanics are great, it doesn't do you much good unless you have someone else to play it with. I'd recommend a skip.

SSD - can't comment. Enjoyed the first, never finished it, heard Delta was far superior. You have Freedom Wars, so maybe wait? If you're in the mood for a something different like drpg get Demon Gaze.

PJ Shooter didn't resonate with me, some love it.

Shun

My Vita is finally coming in tomorrow and before I start, if anyone is good with Vita Homebrew can they PM me?

I'm pretty sure my Vita is going to come under 3.18 and I just need some help upgrading it to 3.18 through QCMA on my Mac so that I can do the exploit.

I'm fine with everything else, just confused about that.

My Vita is finally coming in tomorrow and before I start, if anyone is good with Vita Homebrew can they PM me?

I'm pretty sure my Vita is going to come under 3.18 and I just need some help upgrading it to 3.18 through QCMA on my Mac so that I can do the exploit.

I'm fine with everything else, just confused about that.

There's a specific thread for Vita homebrew in the Gaming forum (IIRC it has "hacked" in its title). Those don't really get discussed here; go search for that thread instead.

Shun

There's a specific thread for Vita homebrew in the Gaming forum (IIRC it has "hacked" in its title). Those don't really get discussed here; go search for that thread instead.

Already posted there as an edit. Didn't want to double post and bump. Giving this place a shot too to cover bases since the other thread is sorta dead.

Top Bottom