• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

antibolo

Banned
I think I want that P4DAN LE Vita. I really wish it was actually yellow instead of green though...

Do we know when pre-orders for it will start?

SerTapTap

It's just the play on perspective. Girls are back in the background, or on the front.

Ah, probably makes sense in motion then.

My 2K arrives tomorrow ! \o/

You bought a slightly slimmer psvita.gif

I agree. I really wished I'd gotten Tekken earlier in RB1 because she was my favourite character to play as.

Yeah Tekken's super cute, I wanted CC2 and Histoire ASAP (ASAP is 20 hours in) and by the time I'm done getting Histy it'll be new game + time. At least I think I might be able to keep the Oracles for NG+? That's another thing, NG+ needs to start keeping your characters.

deadfolk

Any Japanese speakers here?

I noticed something with those GE2 shots that is bugging me. All the names of the character creation options are written in katakana which phonetically spells out the English names, e.g. Eye Colour = aikaraa, Hair Style = heasutairu, etc.

I know that Japanese uses a lot of 'loan-words' from English and other languages for things that have no Japanese equivalent, and that these are written using katana, but what's going on here? There are Japanese words for eye colour and hairstyle!

Maid

Banned
Any Japanese speakers here?

I noticed something with those GE2 shots that is bugging me. All the names of the character creation options are written in katakana which phonetically spells out the English names, e.g. Eye Colour = aikaraa, Hair Style = heasutairu, etc.

I know that Japanese uses a lot of 'loan-words' from English and other languages for things that have no Japanese equivalent, and that these are written using katana, but what's going on here? There are Japanese words for eye colour and hairstyle!

Bandai just being bandai.

GUNDAM_SEED_VOLUME_01-5_1091056985.jpg

so I tried to load some new digital games to my PSP from PS3 but it failed, telling me that i already have 3 activated PSP's on my account. this is the only PSP i have...
what's going on? does a Vita count as a psp? does playing psp game on a Vita TV count as a PSP?
i went on the website for my PSN account to check my activated devices and it shows that i have one PS3 active as well as my OLED Vita, Vita 2000, and Vita TV.
i suppose those count as PSP's?

Shizuka

I think I want that P4DAN LE Vita. I really wish it was actually yellow instead of green though...

Do we know when pre-orders for it will start?

Play-Asia is already taking orders for an outrageous price. You can wait for Amiami or Nippon Yasan.

antibolo

Banned
so I tried to load some new digital games to my PSP from PS3 but it failed, telling me that i already have 3 activated PSP's on my account. this is the only PSP i have...
what's going on? does a Vita count as a psp? does playing psp game on a Vita TV count as a PSP?
i went on the website for my PSN account to check my activated devices and it shows that i have one PS3 active as well as my OLED Vita, Vita 2000, and Vita TV.
i suppose those count as PSP's?

Yes. PSP, Vita and PSTV all count as a single category, and the limit is 3.

Producer

P4DAN Vita should have had Rise in the back from the Crazy Value Pack artwork. Sort of like the Miku LE Vita.

or something else. it just looks so plain.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah it's not the best design ever, but I was thinking about importing a coloured Vita 2000 for a while now so I might as well get this one.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Reminds me of that Kickstarter for Booger-Man, or something like that. I'd never buy that game.
When that Boogerman kickstarter failed I died a little inside. My faith in humanity was severely lowered that dark day. Shame on all of you. It even had Earthworm fucking Jim as a playable character and you people still didn't support it. The world is a far worse place because of all of you.

antibolo

Banned
God, Rogue Legacy on Vita is such a half-assed port. The text is barely legible, and there appears to be lots of gross nearest-neighbour scaling on the sprites.

Not keeping this one.

deadfolk

Guys, I'm struggling to finish P3P before I get my new 3DSXL and MH4U next week.

I know roughly the date it ends, but how much play time do I have left?

I'm at the bit where...(actual spoiler):

Mitsuru has just rejoined the team after her father bought the farm. The school trip is any day now.

Oh thank god. And i thought it would be something perverted.

Guys, I'm struggling to finish P3P before I get my new 3DSXL and MH4U next week.

I know roughly the date it ends, but how much play time do I have left?

I'm at the bit where...(actual spoiler):

Mitsuru has just rejoined the team after her father bought the farm. The school trip is any day now.

If you can endure playing like 3-5 hours then its probably one session and you are done.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
God, Rogue Legacy on Vita is such a half-assed port. The text is barely legible, and there appears to be lots of gross nearest-neighbour scaling on the sprites.

Not keeping this one.
The text is fine. Perhaps you need glasses. I don't know what nearest neighbour scaling means.

Port is fine. Game is a seriously flawed grind fest.

Shizuka

When that Boogerman kickstarter failed I died a little inside. My faith in humanity was severely lowered that dark day. Shame on all of you. It even had Earthworm fucking Jim as a playable character and you people still didn't support it. The world is a far worse place because of all of you.

I've done my share to protect the world.

deadfolk

If you can endure playing like 3-5 hours then its probably one session and you are done.

Sweet - planning to session it this weekend. Thanks.

Then I just need to prepare for PersonaQ, Persona 4 DAN, Persona 5...

And get interested in Ultimax before remembering that I can't play fighting games.

SerTapTap

I love the hell out of Binding of Isaac and it's floating fetuses, towering mounds of organs and faces and shit all over the floor but Boogerman still seems needlessly gross to me. I know some people like the original though.

Sweet - planning to session it this weekend. Thanks.

Then I just need to prepare for PersonaQ, Persona 4 DAN, Persona 5...

And get interested in Ultimax before remembering that I can't play fighting games.

Play Ultimax. Learn to play a character, a few special moves and then complete one campaign with the character you learned to play on easy.

Its not really that hard.

SerTapTap

IMO skullgirls is about the best fighting game to learn in--great tutorials, it's cheap, decent variety of character types, execution of actual moves is never a big deal (no multiple quarter circles, half circles and that shit, just one button and one movement). It's what I kind of learned to play them with anyway, though I'm still not too great and of course each game requires learning the characters and specific mechanics.

IMO skullgirls is about the best fighting game to learn in--great tutorials, it's cheap, decent variety of character types, execution of actual moves is never a big deal (no multiple quarter circles, half circles and that shit, just one button and one movement). It's what I kind of learned to play them with anyway, though I'm still not too great and of course each game requires learning the characters and specific mechanics.

You could also play Mortal Kombat. Both are nearly identical when it comes to getting-into-fighting-games.

Easy to learn - difficult to master.

daydream

Banned
Can any fellow victims of German PSN confirm that Suikoden II is in English? I saw someone mentioning it but I find it hard to believe. Would be great, though.

Can any fellow victims of German PSN confirm that Suikoden II is in English? I saw someone mentioning it but I find it hard to believe. Would be great, though.

I dont think it would be german. Because that would mean they needed to have an extra German Spot for the game (Its not Multilingual. Its only German on the disc or only English on the disc.)

And i really think they are lazy as fuck to even consider the german version.

Edit: And im right : http://suikoversum.de/forum/viewtop...und_suikoden_ii_sind_da_gewinnspielaufloesung

Es handelt sich jeweils um die englische PAL-Version.

Shizuka

I can't wait for Skullgirls on my Vita, it'll look amazing.

daydream

Banned
I dont think it would be german. Because that would mean they needed to have an extra German Spot for the game (Its not Multilingual. Its only German on the disc or only English on the disc.)

And i really think they are lazy as fuck to even consider the german version.

Edit: And im right : http://suikoversum.de/forum/viewtop...und_suikoden_ii_sind_da_gewinnspielaufloesung

I mean, most if not all games on German PSN are German only if they originally received a German translation, that's why it's very uncharacteristic to have Suikoden II (which was localised as opposed to the first one) in English. If only they would retroactively replace all the Square games..

Anyway, good to have it confirmed, thanks.

deadfolk

I actually have Skullgirls. I got stuck on the tutorial. I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was one but where I just couldn't nail the timing.

antibolo

Banned

No, Ultimax is a whole magnitude more accessible than Skullgirls.

You could also play Mortal Kombat. Both are nearly identical when it comes to getting-into-fighting-games.

What the hell?? No, Mortal Kombat is completely different from other fighting games.

I actually have Skullgirls. I got stuck on the tutorial. I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was one but where I just couldn't nail the timing.

Yes I remember that, don't understand what the hell they were thinking when they put such a difficult combo in the tutorial. I managed to eventually clear it but I'm not new at fighting games. To any newcomers that must be demoralizing as fuck.

Producer

Ultimax has auto combos. just mash A lol.

didnt try the tutorial for ultimax but skullgirls' is nice. teaches you stuff like mixups, high/lows, overheads, etc. Stuff that is univeral for fighting games.

antibolo

Banned
Not just auto-combos, there's also the fact that all specials are quarter-circles and supers are double-quarter-circles. Very easy execution.

BlazBlue and Guilty Gear Xrd also have extensive tutorials that teach all the fundamentals.

Don't exactly remember the Ultimax tutorial but I think it's a bit less extensive. But the game itself is easier so it kinda makes up for it.

bobawesome

I'm...I'm so sorry. I had no idea it existed.

edit: $375,000 goal...what.

deadfolk

Yes I remember that, don't understand what the hell they were thinking when they put such a difficult combo in the tutorial. I managed to eventually clear it but I'm not new at fighting games. To any newcomers that must be demoralizing as fuck.

Good to hear it's not just me being totally useless. Maybe I'll go back to it when...

I can't wait for Skullgirls on my Vita, it'll look amazing.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot it was coming to vita! I might wait for that.

Although, I seem to remember having a similar problem with Blazblue.

bobohoro

No, Ultimax is a whole magnitude more accessible than Skullgirls.

You think so? Ultimax actually feels kinda tough for beginners. Instead of the motions, which most are familiar with, there are a bunch of 2/3button-combos, lots of fast mixups in standard strings and a few characters that are pretty difficult to read without much knowledge. Add to that the whole Persona-mechanic and you quickly have a pretty complex battle system. And the tutorial is not nearly as in-depth as, say, Skullgirls or even Blazblue.

Don't know if the original Arena is better in that regard. Oh, and something is definitely off with the input-window of super moves. It took a lot of adjusting on my part to get them consistently, never had trouble with double-qcf in any other game before.

Since I'm also trying to learn fighting games right now, here are some tips that helped me start out:

- Read some Patrick Miller. While that might be a pretty taunting first step, the whole thing is well written and an enjoyable read that definitely is a great introduction to the genre.
- Play some Street Fighter with Ryu. Yes, it's basic, but it really helps understanding the concepts of 1on1 fighters. Everyone has some version of Street Fighter lying around somewhere, I'd guess.
- Play games that interests you and characters that you think are cool. Even if they are considered pretty technical or advanced. It just helps with motivation.
- Read up on stuff online, ask on boards. There are many nice people around and you will not get anywhere on your own.

And after writing all that, I realised that nobody even asked for tips. Oh well. :O

Producer

I was fine with MK9's movement but something about the way Injustice plays really bothered me. All the characters felt like they had cinder blocks attached to their feet.

lol yeah that walk speed was ridiculous. I dropped that game pretty fast, didnt really click with me. Dont like dial-a-combos either. Netherrealm games are really just not for me i guess.

So my vita slim replacement comes with 6 lego games

LEGO Harry Potter: 5-7 Years
LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
LEGO Batman: The Videogame
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Are any of them good?

Top Bottom