• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

SerTapTap

Another positive for Skullgirls is the cancel-based specials--it's extremely easy to chain some basic stuff simply by chaining light medium heavy normals (then a special, then a super), which means you don't even really need to learn combos, you can almost always just cancel those attacks into each other and do a decent chunk of damage after a poke.

I hate top of page go play Transistor or save up for Super Stardust Ultra I don't know

deadfolk

Since I'm also trying to learn fighting games right now, here are some tips that helped me start out:

- Read some Patrick Miller. While that might be a pretty taunting first step, the whole thing is well written and an enjoyable read that definitely is a great introduction to the genre.

Thanks for the link.I actually started to read that some time ago, and it was one of the things that made me realize I'd probably never be able to play fighting games. I'd been meaning to have another look, but I couldn't find it because I couldn't remember what it was called.

And, I'm more than open to any tips. I've never been able to play fighting games. The only time I've ever broken a controller was while playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES back in the day.

bobawesome

Yeeeesss. Amazon is finally shipping out my copy of Project Diva F 2nd today. I really, really hope it gets here on Monday. I need a buffer from school.

So my vita slim replacement comes with 6 lego games

LEGO Harry Potter: 5-7 Years
LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
LEGO Batman: The Videogame
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Are any of them good?

quote my self for new page!

If they are like the console/PC versions, they're pretty much all the same, only with different themes, so if you want to play one go with your favoutite franchise. Batman 2 is the newest and should be the most polished one. They're fun little games, but not much more.

Shizuka

If they are like the console/PC versions, they're pretty much all the same, only with different themes, so if you want to play one go with your favoutite franchise. Batman 2 is the newest and should be the most polished one. They're fun little games, but not much more.

They're all (or most of them) based from the 3DS versions of those games, they're not good.

bobawesome

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but...I believe most, if not all, of the Lego games are 3DS ports.

edit: Thanks, Shizuka.

FkhZ6lf.jpg

Risk - PS4

Well it does all the minimum a Risk game should do but nothing else. There are three modes available and it is the same three rule variations that come in the instruction manual for the original game. I mostly judge board game adaptations as how long will I be watching stupid animations and Ubisoft's Risk is terrible. There is an option to speed up the animation and not listen to annoying voice lady announce everything but you have to choose to speed it up EVERY DAMN AI turn with no global setting and it even isn't that much faster. The animations and the overall look is super boring as if it was designed to look good on a iPad. I wasn't expecting much but it didn't even reach expectations. Buy and play the excellent Risk Factions by EA on PS3 instead.

5/10

So my vita slim replacement comes with 6 lego games

LEGO Harry Potter: 5-7 Years
LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Are any of them good?

I played Batman on Vita. It was good but just like every other Lego game that has been made. I thought it played just fine. Just pick the license you like the best and play it because all Lego games are pretty much all the same.

VLiberty

Those two are based on the console version and are good, albeit they're for PSP. Still better than what Vita(and PSP in the later days) got.

antibolo

Banned
Another positive for Skullgirls is the cancel-based specials--it's extremely easy to chain some basic stuff simply by chaining light medium heavy normals (then a special, then a super), which means you don't even really need to learn combos, you can almost always just cancel those attacks into each other and do a decent chunk of damage after a poke.

Uh not to sound like a jerk, but I'm guessing you learned that from the Skullgirls tutorial and thought that Skullgirls invented it, but it's a really fundamental basic concept in many fighting games, including any Arc System Works game (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Persona), and many Capcom games as well.

Nothing about the mechanics of Skullgirls is new, they heavily inspired everything from a mix of Marvel and ASW games (the creator is a fan of both).

SerTapTap

Uh not to sound like a jerk, but I'm guessing you learned that from the Skullgirls tutorial and thought that Skullgirls invented it, but it's a really fundamental thing in many fighting games, including any Arc System Works game (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Persona), and many Capcom games as well.

No, I know other games have cancels, but Skullgirls does cancels very well and mixes them with a ton of other things that makes it quite accessible (while still being worthwhile to learn due to a high skill ceiling). I can't really think of any game where canceling felt as simple and as Skullgirls, but I could be wrong.

bobohoro

Thanks for the link.I actually started to read that some time ago, and it was one of the things that made me realize I'd probably never be able to play fighting games. I'd been meaning to have another look, but I couldn't find it because I couldn't remember what it was called.

And, I'm more than open to any tips. I've never been able to play fighting games. The only time I've ever broken a controller was while playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES back in the day.

I will never be good either. I lack the basic skills, RL sparring partners and am living too far from the bigger countries with a healthy userbase to get a stable, minimal lag online experience. But the progression you feel from training in fighting games is pretty great, a few months ago basic execution was a problem, now I can at least nail intermediate to advanced combos against the CPU and even play around a bit with trying my own combos. I am of the mind that focussing on that stuff is pretty good training all around, from concentration to hand-eye coordination, and it's fun for me.

What I basically wanna say: Keep at it, even if you take a beating. Or your controller. Learn fundamentals, try to understand systems and the implications of your actions. That's where Ryu comes into play, because the biggest hurdle for me was trimming down my moveset to those few important ones for special circumstances. And his were iconic and easy to understand. When you have your prefered poke, sweep and anti-air (and maybe one basic combo off of them), take them on a cruise and do nothing else. It's eye-opening how you can win rounds by just using your fireballs and reacting to your opponent with an uppercut, from there it started to slowly click for me.

antibolo

Banned
No, I know other games have cancels, but Skullgirls does cancels very well and mixes them with a ton of other things that makes it quite accessible (while still being worthwhile to learn due to a high skill ceiling). I can't really think of any game where canceling felt as simple and as Skullgirls, but I could be wrong.

I'm not talking about cancels, I'm talking specifically about basic chains (BlazBlue calls them "Revolver Action"). They're actually simpler in ASW games due to the clear progression of buttons

BlazBlue: A -> B -> C -> Special -> Super
Guilty Gear: P -> K -> S -> H -> Special -> Super
Persona: A -> A -> A -> A -> A -> A

The Revolver Action system that Skullgirls uses is actually very similar to Marvel vs. Capcom (before 2) since it's also a 3 punch 3 kick layout.

SerTapTap

I'm not talking about cancels, I'm talking specifically about basic chains (BlazBlue calls them "Revolver Action"). They're actually simpler in ASW games due to the clear progression of buttons

BlazBlue: A -> B -> C -> Special -> Super
Guilty Gear: P -> K -> S -> H -> Special -> Super
Persona: A -> A -> A -> A -> A -> A

The Revolver Action system that Skullgirls uses is actually very similar to Marvel vs. Capcom (before 2) since it's also a 3 punch 3 kick layout.

Cancels are more important than just chains IMO. I can't stand combos in Bayonetta because they're not canceled, so the timing window is extremely finicky and feels awkward. Cancels mean I can end my current attack and follow up any time I put in the input (ideally, right after I deal all the damage of the attack in most cases). Putting in a combo and cancelling is extremely satisfying in Skullgirls.

bobawesome

Hmm, AeternoBlade, huh. I really wasn't a fan of the 3DS game. Is this pretty much the same thing aside from better graphics?

pariah164

Hmm, AeternoBlade, huh. I really wasn't a fan of the 3DS game. Is this pretty much the same thing aside from better graphics?
It feels like a mid to late era PS2 game. Someone in the thread said the demo is OK, but the actual game is a mess. I'm avoiding it, because even the demo gets dull pretty fast.

Aeterno seems like a game that will think it should be $20 and a game that Sony won't care enough about to give a PS+ week 1 discount on

Producer

Cancels are more important than just chains IMO. I can't stand combos in Bayonetta because they're not canceled, so the timing window is extremely finicky and feels awkward. Cancels mean I can end my current attack and follow up any time I put in the input (ideally, right after I deal all the damage of the attack in most cases). Putting in a combo and cancelling is extremely satisfying in Skullgirls.

eh Bayo's combos are quite easy. Youjust have to delay your timing a bit on some combos. Dont go into it with the mindset of a fighting game is all.

And there is a cancel mechanic in Bayo, its called Dodge Offset. You should read into it as its sort of an hidden technique not mentioned in the game. Its quite easy to learn and once you master it, its a game changer, especially on higher difficulties.

RK128

The PSP Lego games are direct ports of the PS2 versions (and they are great games :D).....so they are great times :).

The native Vita Lego games (most of them, I know Lego Batman 2 is this) are very traditional Lego games ala the Lego Star Wars series; they lack the open world systems that the PS3/360/Wii/ect versions have. They are still fun games though (I know LB2 is) but they aren't anything super special either :l.

Hope this helps :).

Played the AeternoBlade demo and....it was meh :l. The core gameplay is fine and I like the fact the combat system is somewhat deep (their is a combo tree and I like the fact you can link commands together) but the visuals are bland and the rest of the demo was only okay for me :l. The game is fine :), and I think the full version should be quite fun :D.....but outside of that? I don't know :l.

If anything, I really like the Sands of Time-esc rewind mechanic, so if the game does a lot with this, I think the game will be quite unique :).

The PSP Lego games are direct ports of the PS2 versions (and they are great games :D).....so they are great times :).

The native Vita Lego games (most of them, I know Lego Batman 2 is this) are very traditional Lego games ala the Lego Star Wars series; they lack the open world systems that the PS3/360/Wii/ect versions have. They are still fun games though (I know LB2 is) but they aren't anything super special either :l.

Hope this helps :).

Yeah i decided that i will give each one a try !

RK128

Yeah i decided that i will give each one a try !

Hope you have fun with them Jimmy :D! I think the PSP games will offer you the most fun, but I had a good time playing Lego Batman 2.

Sorry that your Vita 1000 never got fixed :(. At the very least, you are getting a number of extra games with your new Vita 2000 while also getting a better battery, better rear-touch pad and the thing being lighter to hold :D.

RK128

Aren't the Vita versions ports of the 3DS version which are ports of the DS version?

I think so; after Lego Marvel Super Heroes, they started having the games being time-based isometric action games. Very different from the console versions but I guess they were okay games though :).

Lego Batman 3 is supposedly much more similar to the console versions then past tittles, so that must be a good thing :D.

SerTapTap

My copy of Banned Game came in. Was expecting something a little bigger from the art book but eh. I'm still playing Neptunia Rebirth 2 on the PS TV and Dangan Ronpa on the Vita though. Too many games :(

Still waiting on Banned Game

Hoped it would sort itself out, but I had to get a hold of the Golden PO when it went back to Golden again and changed to "undeliverable"... finally found out why this keeps happening. Apparently my exact apartment and building number is also street in Golden, so the label printer automatically puts multiple street lines on packages.

Apparently I'll still get it, but smh. I still blame them, since UPS & FedEx don't have any problems getting stuff to me. Sent some probably confusing email to NISA to explain to them to please make sure the label doesn't say St on the Apt line.

Top Bottom