• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Even as someone who didn't want to play that game, I think the hate for it has been blown out of proportion.

Oh, TOTP?

Buy that game to fight the whiners. ;)

Oh, and buy everything Senran Kagura - 'cause Senran's tame, right guys?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone else remember Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines?
Someone should ask if it's still coming.

went to go look up reviews for That Game out of curiosity, and they're just what i expected

jqHihklLmzShC.jpg

jikkunXnLMIQO.jpg

jcqQ6tEOwtpCz.jpg

ibmarGLEdthVYN.gif

People do not understand that those kind of games would not come without censor, they should ask to get better games that don't need censor instead.

bobawesome

Now that I can actually afford to buy a PSTV I'm getting cold feet.

Being able to play Freedom Wars on a bigger screen does sound appealing, though.

...or instead of doing all that I could get all those waifu games I've been dreaming about.

autoduelist

finally found out why this keeps happening. Apparently my exact apartment and building number is also street in Golden, so the label printer automatically puts multiple street lines on packages.

Definitely start using your +4 zip code if you haven't already. Now that you know exactl what the issue is, call your local postmaster and get it resolved... the odds that the random person you talked to was able to fix something are slim, but if you hassle the right people, they can probably figure out a solution.

Is Oreshika confirmed to be digital-only? I didn't know that. Not that I really care though. But I guess this means Freedom Wars will be the final first party game to get a retail release, ever.

It was only a matter of time. Shelf space in retailers is expensive, and digital has significantly higher profit margins.

How many items do you guys have in your download list on ps3 now?

Closer to 2k than 1k, making my vita dl list unusable. Love PSDLE though.

EDIT - nm.

The bottom line is that NISA doesn't want to censor their games. Censoring their games takes time, money, and pisses people off. They only censor the game when they think -- for whatever reason -- the product would not be suitable for release otherwise. As I said, I don't like censorship either, but getting all up-in-arms because they added fog to obscure the crotch of a character is a minor offense. The sentiment that all censorship is equal is incredibly silly.

calling you out normal fish
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

autoduelist

Yup. I'm not big on censorship, either, but the reasoning here isn't as offensive as people like to think. This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's a video game company covering up a vagina.

Any single case of censorship can be made to seem inconsequential in and of itself.

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's a [single word in a book that has a hundred thousand other words].

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's a[n important state secret].

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's [just a woman nursing a baby].

For some, the principal of the matter outweighs the significance of each specific example. I wouldn't buy a novel that was censored, even if it was just a single word obscured [think, Huck Finn, for example]. I just don't care enough about the content in my games to care about game censorship. But if I strictly held to my principles, I wouldn't support it. Censorship implies that there can be 'thought crimes', that there are things that aren't safe for our fragile adult minds to see/hear/think.

[That last example, about a woman nursing, is near and dear to my wife because you wouldn't believe the amount of societal pressure [in the US] against doing something natural like nursing a baby. That even that action can be deemed 'offensive' is proof positive that some people will find most anything objectionable, making it hard to draw any specific lines past the obvious stuff that has real life victims and won't be mentioned here.]

Nay, great! I finally called in about my broken Vita on Tuesday around lunchtime. The helpful gentleman said I'd get a box in the mail within 3-5 business days. Early Wednesday evening, as I was playing some GTA, I heard a loud rapping on my door. There sat my service box, resting upon the floor :D Due to bad weather, I wasn't able to send it out until Wednesday afternoon, but the service center got it Friday morning, and is already working on it.

I was just blown away not only at the friendliness and courteousness from the PS support staff, but also the promptness of everything as well. $130 well spent, especially with their guarantee I'd get my same, or another white Vita back. I wanted to share, in case anyone's Vita broke for almost any reason BUT water damage, call Sony instead of getting a new system. I mean, I'm all for buying another Vita, but I'm also for saving my fellow VitaCats some payola, so you can drop said saved money into more Vita/PSX/PSP/Psn games.

Any single case of censorship can be made to seem inconsequential in and of itself.

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's a [single word in a book that has a hundred thousand other words].

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's a[n important state secret].

This isn't the government censoring incriminating information, it's [just a woman nursing a baby].

For some, the principal of the matter outweighs the significance of each specific example. I wouldn't buy a novel that was censored. I just don't care enough about the content in my games to care about game censorship. But if I strictly held to my principles, I wouldn't support it.

That is entirely reasonable, and I would never say otherwise. If you don't agree with something, don't buy it. Simple as that. TapTap's sentiment that removing content is somehow a better alternative than censoring it is not -- in any way -- reasonable, however. Which is what I was originally responding to.

Additionally, this case of censorship is truly not very aggressive. As KB said, the game was seriously pushing the rating scheme. If we assume that's why they censored it (since we have no other hypothesis with any backing), then the alternatives were that the game get 0 PR and no retailer carries it, or the game doesn't release. This seems like a clear choice.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

For some, the principal of the matter outweighs the significance of each specific example. I wouldn't buy a novel that was censored, even if it was just a single word obscured [think, Huck Finn, for example]. I just don't care enough about the content in my games to care about game censorship. But if I strictly held to my principles, I wouldn't support it. Censorship implies that there can be 'thought crimes', that there are things that aren't safe for our fragile adult minds to see/hear/think.

[That last example, about a woman nursing, is near and dear to my wife because you wouldn't believe the amount of societal pressure against doing something natural like nursing a baby. That even that action can be deemed 'offensive' is proof positive that some people will find most anything objectionable, making it hard to draw any specific lines past the obvious stuff that has real life victims and won't be mentioned here.]
It's all good and all... in theory, in the real world you not buying those games means:
-not supporting the only ones who care about those games
-losing all the experience just for some steam in this case

You may think that you force people to not censor games but that's not true at all, they won't give you an eventual criminal girls 2 and other similar games without censor, they simply won't give you anything at all because they close or change kind of games, probably they cannot afford better or more popular games, so it's those with censor or nothing at all(well i guess there are better niche games without censoring issues to localize but this is not the point)

VLiberty

You think THATS bad? I own over 180+ games for my Vita and I only beat around 30 of them XD!

The stuff I want to beat this month includes the following:
-Kick and Fennick (about half-way through now....so it shouldn't take that long)
-Bending of Issac Rebirth (just fully beating one run....died so many times in the game X()
-Sly 2 Vita (only have 2-3 more worlds left)
-Rouge Legacy (I think I can do this :); the game is a lot more fair with its rogue-like mechanics then BoI and Splunky are to me personally)
-Ape Escape PSP
-Daxter
-Mega Man X4 (Zero run)
-Spyro 1
-Crash 1
-Klona: Door to Phantomile

Doesn't sound that bad....though I am going to be distracted by Majora's Mask 3D next week.....so, I really hope I get through all these games this month XD!.

Good luck clearing your backlog man :).

that sounds crazy :O good luck

I'm planning to play K&F and The Swapper next month, once I'll be done with exams. Sly 4 too, but I want to play it first on PS3.

About Sly 2, I hope they'll discount the second game. I've stupidly got 1 and 3 whn they were on sale, and still haven't played them. I could've waited, if I knew that they would've discounted the entire trilogy for 9€ some months later.

Massa

That is entirely reasonable, and I would never say otherwise. If you don't agree with something, don't buy it. Simple as that. TapTap's sentiment that removing content is somehow a better alternative than censoring it is not -- in any way -- reasonable, however. Which is what I was originally responding to.

Additionally, this case of censorship is truly not very aggressive. As KB said, the game was seriously pushing the rating scheme. If we assume that's why they censored it (since we have no other hypothesis with any backing), then the alternatives were that the game get 0 PR and no retailer carries it, or the game doesn't release. This seems like a clear choice.

That's not unlike what happens when very small games that are projected to sell thousands are localized somehow, but only distributed in digital form. The number of people who boycott the lack of a (not viable) physical release always blows my mind.

That's not unlike what happens when very small games that are projected to sell thousands are localized somehow, but only distributed in digital form. The number of people who boycott the lack of a (not viable) physical release always blows my mind.

Yup. I can appreciate not buying it if you are partial to physical games (like myself), but acting like it's this personal attack is misguided.

I had forgotten Oreshika was coming until I read this thread.

I hope it's because they're going to re-reveal at this February thing or something.

Unlikely, though, it'll probably just get pushed out the door when it's done. Or maybe it'll never be done...

Anyway, really enjoying Neptunia Re;birth 2 at the moment, so I can't complain!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just beat Rogue Legacy. It was alright. Pretty fun and addictive, but yeah it's too bad doing well is so reliant on your stats rather than skill. Too much time spent grinding for my tastes. Definitely not in the same league as Spelunky and Binding of Isaac.

bobawesome

Just beat Rogue Legacy. It was alright. Pretty fun and addictive, but yeah it's too bad doing well is so reliant on your stats rather than skill. Too much time spent grinding for my tastes. Definitely not in the same league as Spelunky and Binding of Isaac.

I've probably already said this, but I was expecting something with far more depth than what I received. It was a fun experience but I can't see myself playing it for too much longer.

eFKac

Calling all VitaGaf!

Just learned that Dungeon Hunter Alliance VITA got pulled from the PS Store, before I had a chance to buy it (planning to go digital only on the Vita)
Please guys tell me, are there any other Western dungeon crawlers, isometric action rpg's or hack n' slash games on the Vita?
Only one I know of is Silent Hill BoM. Anything else?

incpdo

Calling all VitaGaf!

Just learned that Dungeon Hunter Alliance VITA got pulled from the PS Store, before I had a chance to buy it (planning to go digital only on the Vita)
Please guys tell me, are there any other Western dungeon crawlers, isometric action rpg's or hack n' slash games on the Vita?
Wait for dragon fin soup . its great. Hack n slash? Well you have the destiny warriors series , if you dont mind fanservice senran kagura the upcoming neptunia u. Mostly musou hack n slash.
Ohhh im forgetting the nice Fantasy Hero , personally a ver y well done little game from the creators of blaz blues, game is isometric 3d hack n slash and rpg thing. Its only 15 dollars i think.

autoduelist

It's all good and all... in theory, in the real world you not buying those games means:
-not supporting the only ones who care about those games
-losing all the experience just for some steam in this case

You may think that you force people to not censor games but that's not true at all, they won't give you an eventual criminal girls 2 and other similar games without censor, they simply won't give you anything at all because they close or change kind of games, probably they cannot afford better or more popular games, so it's those with censor or nothing at all(well i guess there are better niche games without censoring issues to localize but this is not the point)

Oh, I agree. Not buying a game with censorship will not help get more games localized; in fact, it will hurt it. My post was defending those who won't buy something censored on principal, not saying they're actually going to achieve anything.

Honestly, I think in many cases censorship, or the threat of censorship, improves sales. People love their taboo stuff, and every lost sale (for whatever reason) is made up for by someone else checking it out.

At some point, the fact that it's "this or nothing" doesn't hold water. If all of our books had to go through gov't (or 'ratings board') censors and came out with cusses, sex, and violence removed, I would stop buying books. I know that won't help, but it's the principal. I wouldn't accept 'welp, this is what we get' over 'nothing' - I'd honestly rather have nothing.

Calling all VitaGaf!

1. Hello :)

2. I didn't realise Dungeon Hunter had gone, that's bizarre. Might be a listing error.

3. Fantasy Hero is Diablo-esque, it's Japanese though. It's out in the USA already, and is coming out in Europe some time in Q1 supposedly.

5. Otherwise, Dungeon Hunter & Silent Hill are the only Vita-native games I can think of. There's some stuff on PSN in Europe like Dungeon Explorer, but that looks pretty naff.

6. If you make a US account for your Vita (which is probably advisable, unless it's difficult for you to get PSN cards), you can download the Untold Legends PSP games, which are pretty solid Diablo rip-offs.

incpdo

I've probably already said this, but I was expecting something with far more depth than what I received. It was a fun experience but I can't see myself playing it for too much longer.
I was victim of the overhyped version of vitagaf. I bought this because of several positive and incredible hyped comments. I was very dissapointed . the game is fine but grinding is much more important than skill in this game, also it turns into a very repetitive game . if you die its probably because you are not grinding enough. That's why I think this game is totally killed by games like binding of Isaac . games that give rewards to the skill and not the grinding. Even when you constantly get items . not everything is good and you don't have to grind to play the game. Idk. I just wish a rouge legacy 2 comes with an experience more oriented towards the skill and not the grind.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Dungeon Hunter Alliance Vita is indeed gone from the European Store.
Both US versions and the European PS3 version are still there. Huh.

Calling all VitaGaf!

Dungeon Hunter is OK but I burned out on it after a while like I always do on all these type of games. The physical copy is like $10 everywhere.

Producer

I was victim of the overhyped version of vitagaf. I bought this because of several positive and incredible hyped comments.

vitagaf tends to do that. read an informed review, watch some gameplay footage, judge by yourself. Trust the opinion of level headed posters and not posts that sound like the person is in love with the game if that makes sense.

Calling all VitaGaf!

Pocket RPG? It's a mobile port, but I enjoyed it. Certainly better than Dungeon Hunter.

RK128

Out of the two PS Vita Plus games this month....I am very surprised it didn't grab me that much :(.

Like other posters, I thought this game was going to be amazing and stuff, but as of right now (Level 11 with only the dash ability and some armor), the game is just 'good' for me :l.

I do appreciate how the game is more 'fair' compared to BoI, in the sense that you hold on to all your gear, levels, skills and such when you die. You even have an option to have the castle remain the same, meaning you can find teleporters around the castle in one run then focus the next on fully exploring a section. The issue is....why not have the game be more like a Metoridvanna then :l?

The core gameplay systems more then fit with that set-up while at the same time could lead to a good reason for exploring (you find stuff within the castle and can equip it, instead of using gold to buy stuff (it only being used for upgrading your gear and buying health/magic potions)).

As is though, it is a good game, just not a amazing one :). I think BoI and Splunky works so well for many (not me sadly :() is due to how the game is 'short' but due to the perma-death mechanic, the game is long. This allows each run to be very satisfying, even if you die; you learn the game mechanics and find out what each item does. Does it make it fun? It greatly depends on the person (for example: I like BoI but it didn't grab me at all during my first three runs, but after putting 2-3 hours into it, I enjoyed it a lot despite dying all the time :D).

RK128

Reminds me of when I bought Borderlands 2. Ugh. Biggest Vita purchase regret ever.

Heard how the game runs on the Vita X(....at least it is better then what I hear of the PS3 version :). I couldn't get into the original Borderlands at all (just found it so.....lifeless despite the visual style), but that I guess, was from me expecting it to be the Ratchet and Clank of FPS games (hearing it has 1,000's of weapons made me think "Wow, so every one is going to do something radically different ala the Ratchet series :D!"....then I soon found that many of the weapons were just 'skins' of each other, with some having different stats or elements attached to it) :l.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it though Antibolo :(.

bobawesome

Heard how the game runs on the Vita X(....at least it is better then what I hear of the PS3 version :).

Really? As someone who has easily played Borderlands 2 for 100+ hours on the PS3, that version is far, far superior. It looks and runs much better.

RK128

Really? As someone who has easily played Borderlands 2 for 100+ hours on the PS3, that version is far, far superior. It looks and runs much better.

Welp, guess I'm wrong then :); sorry for the mistake then. Wow does the game run on PS3? Is is more stable (sudo-locked 30FPS) or is the PS3 version just run at a higher frame-rate then the Vita build?

Is it worth getting a Playstation TV if I already have a Vita?

It's $60 at RadioShack.

If anything, the PS TV makes a great PS1/PSP emulator :); many of the compatible PS1/PSP games on the Vita work with the PS TV (not super sure though :l). Regarding Vita games? It greatly depends sadly :(. A large number of the older Vita games (Sony's first party ironically enough) do not work with the PS TV but many newer games do (and going forward, I think all games that do not excessively use the touch controls will support the platform).

For 60 bucks, you could do a whole lot worse then a PS TV :). It is even a better deal if the model you are getting comes with a DS3 (meaning you are buying one for free essentially; they are 50+ bucks normally).

bobawesome

Welp, guess I'm wrong then :); sorry for the mistake then. Wow does the game run on PS3? Is is more stable (sudo-locked 30FPS) or is the PS3 version just run at a higher frame-rate then the Vita build?

No problem, I don't blame you for it or anything. It just took me by surprise since that's the first time I've heard that.
I'd say it hovers around the 30-ish range with dips every now and then in combat.

Massa

I found Borderlands 2 unplayable on the Vita, but personally I actually liked how it looked much better than the PS3 version. On the Vita it looks beautiful, crisp and clean, while the PS3 version is a blurry mess.

Chuy

So far 4 hours of backing up data onto a spare hard drive and trying to replace my old ps3 hard drive i found out the ps3 doesn't accept 2tb hard drives. At least i know it'll work for ps4 when i finally get one and i played some lbp vita while waiting so i guess it wasn't a complete waste.

Now that I can actually afford to buy a PSTV I'm getting cold feet.

Being able to play Freedom Wars on a bigger screen does sound appealing, though.

...or instead of doing all that I could get all those waifu games I've been dreaming about.
Despite not being able to use it much freedom wars on the big screen alone justifies owning the device

RK128

No problem, I don't blame you for it or anything. It just took me by surprise since that's the first time I've heard that.
I'd say it hovers around the 30-ish range with dips every now and then in combat.

That doesn't sound that bad at all then :). Might give it a shot latter then (as I have the game on PS3 via PS+; never bothered playing it due to not liking BL1).

tr4656

For 60 bucks, you could do a whole lot worse then a PS TV :). It is even a better deal if the model you are getting comes with a DS3 (meaning you are buying one for free essentially; they are 50+ bucks normally).

I'm guessing I need a DS3 or DS4 then because I don't have either and this isn't the bundle.

RK128

I found Borderlands 2 unplayable on the Vita, but personally I actually liked how it looked much better than the PS3 version. On the Vita it looks beautiful, crisp and clean, while the PS3 version is a blurry mess.

The PS3 version is at a lower resolution I think (meaning it will look blurry on large TV's) while the Vita version runs at native resolution (explaining why you find the game looking much sharper on Vita).

That reminds me oddly enough of Sonic Generations; on my rooms TV (non-HD), the game looks fantastic on the PS3 :D....but when I hook it up to my family's main TV (big HD TV), the game looks a lot worse :(.

RK128

I'm guessing I need a DS3 or DS4 then because I don't have either and this isn't the bundle.

You don't have a PS3/PS4? Mmm....see if you can get a used PS3 controller from GameStop or something then; I remember getting a CoD-themed green controller for under 20 bucks used (and it still works great thankfully :D).

I'm not sure wired controllers would work with the PS TV, but considering your getting it for 60 bucks...paying 10-20 bucks for a controller isn't that bad I think :).

Chuy

Select 3rd party controllers work on it. I have a ds3 cirka controller hooked up to it currently however my after glow ones don't work.

Producer

i couldnt stand the little memes and stuff in borderlands 2. the writing was pretty bad.

Also the FOV was horrible, on ps3 at least. It felt like i was zoomed in the whole time.

tr4656

You don't have a PS3/PS4? Mmm....see if you can get a used PS3 controller from GameStop or something then; I remember getting a CoD-themed green controller for under 20 bucks used (and it still works great thankfully :D).

I'm not sure wired controllers would work with the PS TV, but considering your getting it for 60 bucks...paying 10-20 bucks for a controller isn't that bad I think :).
I'll go take a look later and maybe try the Buy/Sell Thread if I can't get one for a decent price.

Select 3rd party controllers work on it. I have a ds3 cirka controller hooked up to it currently however my after glow ones don't work.

I have no trust in third party controllers.

i couldnt stand the little memes and stuff in borderlands 2. the writing was pretty bad.

I found it alright, at least for what it is. Borderlands isn't supposed to be some masterpiece but more of a fun shooter.

RK128

I'll go take a look later and maybe try the Buy/Sell Thread if I can't get one for a decent price.

I have no trust in third party controllers.

That is a good idea I think :). A Sony controller is more likely to work compared to a 3rd party one after all.

I still think looking in a GameStop might be a smart move; if your controller doesn't work and as long as you have the receipt for the controller, you can get a full refund for it (I think). Just an idea that might help you I think.

I think the best bet is to get a PS3 or PS4 controller depending on which console you plan on getting in the future; if a PS3, then a DS3, if a PS4, then a DS4. The plus of a DS4 is that it works with PC's, so it doubles as your go-to PC controller for console ports. Considering the PS TV you are looking to get is only 60 bucks, spending 50 on a DS4 isn't that bad of an idea I think.

Good luck getting a controller though; you have a ton of options to chose from at least :D.

Is it worth getting a Playstation TV if I already have a Vita?

It's $60 at RadioShack.

Here are the reasons I thought it was worth it;
  • I can play my PS4 on another TV in the house without moving it (PSTV is a breeze to move)
  • I wanted to be able to play Killzone and Freedom Wars on the big screen.
  • I wanted a Vita that would never run out of battery for the long hauls

Other reasons it might be worth it to you;
  • PSOne classics and PSP games on any HDMI TV in seconds.
  • Ethernet port for better quality connections to multiplayer games
  • Local multiplayer (games like Nidhogg can play local multiplayer on PSTV with two controllers)

Yep, you would. I suggest a DS4 as it integrates better with the options in the PSTV (touch on the touchpad), but it's really up to you.

Maid

Banned
vitagaf tends to do that. read an informed review, watch some gameplay footage, judge by yourself. Trust the opinion of level headed posters and not posts that sound like the person is in love with the game if that makes sense.

You mean AllGaf. I'm pretty sure Rogue Legacy hype isn't just from Vita users, but PS4 ones also. The only thing I remember is that people keep saying it's better on Vita.

Top Bottom