• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

SerTapTap

The trial still isn't available to Vita and PS3 owners yet, so I can't see how it works X(. I don't own a PS4, so I can't see how it improved or not from when I tried out early last year (when they offered a handful of free games in the beta).

I think if you can use a friend's PS4 you can activate the trial for your account, then use it on PS3 and Vita. If not, they said they're planning to bring the trial to Vita and PS3 soon I think. The subscription actually works on PS3 and Vita perfectly fine but for some reason you can only activate the trial on PS4 until they port it.

Yeah, one of her magic attacks called Pain is one of the most powerful attacks I have, but I still leave her out of the main rotation unless I am looking for something specific like that or if none of my other characters have a good option. She was pretty useless early on.

Dang, I wanted to use her. I'll keep that in mind.

B9fNn-dCUAEHfjx.jpg

Hikami

They added Uncharted and God of War 2 to PS Now since then I think. I keep meaning to try that trial but I don't want to "waste" it so I've just been playing the mountain of games I already have.

Ah, surprised to see Arcana Heart there. Still hoping some more niche stuff gets on there like Tales of Xillia. Really want to play that but no PS3.

The trial still isn't available to Vita and PS3 owners yet, so I can't see how it works X(. I don't own a PS4, so I can't see how it improved or not from when I tried out early last year (when they offered a handful of free games in the beta).
That article linked me to the playstation blog post as the source;
+ Peter Jamshidi on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:42 am said:

Yes, we are working on officially launching subscription on Vita, as well as on PS3, PSTV, and 2014 Sony TVs soon.

Also, for those who subscribe on the PS4 now, note that you can play your subscription games for free on these other PS Now enabled devices by navigating to them in the rental menu.
Soony™

RK128

I think if you can use a friend's PS4 you can activate the trial for your account, then use it on PS3 and Vita. If not, they said they're planning to bring the trial to Vita and PS3 soon I think. The subscription actually works on PS3 and Vita perfectly fine but for some reason you can only activate the trial on PS4 until they port it.

Dang, I wanted to use her. I'll keep that in mind.

I might as well wait for it to properly come to Vita then :). Thanks for the advice Sir TapTap :D. Besides, I have plenty of games to play on my Vita now anyway (god....my backlog is ginormous XD!).

SerTapTap

BTW how do the Vita's controls work on PS Now, default Remote Play setup I guess?

Ah, surprised to see Arcana Heart there. Still hoping some more niche stuff gets on there like Tales of Xillia. Really want to play that but no PS3.

Yeah, great to see stuff like Arcana Heart on there; I wouldn't be surprised if Tales games pop up on there, they've been selling Symonia and Xillia for crazy cheap. I guess I should have waited, I bought Symphonia HD just to have a disk of it since I already played it with a friends' disk. Didn't need to spend $40, I've scarcely seen a game on sale so often so quickly.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I tried playing Yakuza 4 today. I absolutely hated it. The combat seemed really shitty. It's boring. The cutscenes drag on for too long and with the default setting they aren't even skippable. Sorry GAF, Thief is gonna have its work cut out to have a worse first impression than this.

Tizoc

I tried playing Yakuza 4 today. I absolutely hated it. The combat seemed really shitty. It's boring. The cutscenes drag on for too long and with the default setting they aren't even skippable. Sorry GAF, Thief is gonna have its work cut out to have a worse first impression than this.

You
You
GTFO my planet.
Now.

Are you playing on Hard? I've made it my rule not to play the series on Hard again: Start on Normal then work my way up.

Thief 2014 is trash, I got bored by the time I reached the 3rd mission. If you end up liking it, well here's a suggestion: Grab Styx on PS4, it's much better and is pretty much what a Thief game would play like.

antibolo

Banned
Quick Demon Gaze question: I'm unlocking my 4th character, and unlike the 2nd and 3rd the game did not suggest me a recommended pre-built character, I assume this is normal? What is a good class distribution for one's party in this game? (already have Paladin and Healer). Also is there a "canonical" party? (ie. the characters on the boxart and such)

Maid

Banned
Quick Demon Gaze question: I'm unlocking my 4th character, and unlike the 2nd and 3rd the game did not suggest me a recommended pre-built character, I assume this is normal? What is a good class distribution for one's party in this game? (already have Paladin and Healer). Also is there a "canonical" party? (ie. the characters on the boxart and such)

Wizard takes really long to become good, and assassin need some setup to be great. Usually I'd go with 3 fronts and 2 rears, and it worked for me for the whole game. Samurai is good for clearing mobs since they have Slash which can attack up to 3 rows, but you'll struggle with boss since they have no good single target damaging skill.

If you're new to this, I'd suggest get a Fighter for heavy hitting and a bit tougher than Samurai. Next could be a Wizard since you'll need magic damage occasionally.

>Want to skip Yakuza cutscene.
I'll take it you didn't play the previous titles, right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You
You
GTFO my planet.
Now.

Are you playing on Hard? I've made it my rule not to play the series on Hard again: Start on Normal then work my way up.

Thief 2014 is trash, I got bored by the time I reached the 3rd mission. If you end up liking it, well here's a suggestion: Grab Styx on PS4, it's much better and is pretty much what a Thief game would play like.

Normal. Difficulty will not change the mechanics themselves. The combat sucks. I'm not struggling with it if that's what you're thinking. I just don't think it's very good. I feel like I suppose it's supposed to be the story that's the hook? Because it sure isn't the gameplay from what I've played.

At the moment I rank the PS Plus games I've played this month in this order:

Kick and Fennick
Rogue Legacy
Apotheon
Yakuza 4

Kick and Fennick was short but oh so sweet. Comfortably the best executed gameplay of the PS Plus games I've played so far this month. Rogue Legacy was ok and good to a point but the grinding makes it an annoying game to play at lot of the time. Apotheon is a bit iffy but does have a cool artstyle, I generally had fun with what I played and at the very least it's intriguing.

Tizoc

Normal. Difficulty will not change the mechanics themselves. The combat sucks. I'm not struggling with it if that's what you're thinking. I just don't think it's very good. I feel like I suppose it's supposed to be the story that's the hook? Because it sure isn't the gameplay from what I've played.

The gameplay is basic and simple, and I've always liked basic and simple combat. It reminds me of beat'em-ups of yore, which is why I liked the series so much. Shame you don't like it though, but I plan on replaying this come March in preparation for Yakuza 5

Maid

Banned

It's gameplay for me. The only thing I wish is there are more longer fights aside from boss ones.

I had

Paladin
Healer
Wizard
Assassin

The thing with assassin is that you need to invest in speed, so it won't get killed easily.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The gameplay is basic and simple, and I've always liked basic and simple combat. It reminds me of beat'em-ups of yore, which is why I liked the series so much. Shame you don't like it though, but I plan on replaying this come March in preparation for Yakuza 5
It seems too simple for my liking. I've been getting by very easily just button mashing. It bores me. I guess combat this simplistic doesn't do it for me. Things don't get more complex later by any chace do they?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wizard takes really long to become good, and assassin need some setup to be great. Usually I'd go with 3 fronts and 2 rears, and it worked for me for the whole game. Samurai is good for clearing mobs since they have Slash which can attack up to 3 rows, but you'll struggle with boss since they have no good single target damaging skill.

Actually thats incorrect about the Samurai can be made into a build which uses the rampage skill. That can and will out damage other classes.

deadfolk

It seems too simple for my liking. I've been getting by very easily just button mashing. It bores me. I guess combat this simplistic doesn't do it for me. Things don't get more complex later by any chace do they?

Well, not necessarily more complex, but if it's like the earlier games it gets harder. You do unlock more moves and will likely need them.

bobawesome

I hope we get a sale on the classic Persona games soon, the Persona 5 hype has made me want to get them all.

Hopefully Eternal Punishment goes on sale sometime before now and the release of Persona 5. Aside from 1, it's the only Persona I have yet to play.

autoduelist

You may be thinking of the nightly sync that happens to all PS+ subscribers on all three formats. Pretty sure it's still manual syncing otherwise for PS4.

Oh, yeah, I have ps+ which probably explains the discrepancy.

So, yeah, great. Rogue Legacy locked up on me while I was fighting the last boss. Restarted the system and my save is corrupted.

Guess I'm never playing RL ever again. :(

Any chance it synced? That might save you. Install on another platform, sync, and go. Maybe.

Anyone know if they've added any games to PSnow since the subscription program thing started?

They definitely have. They make note of it in the Store Update blog posts, so you could check recent ones if you wanted. I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

I didn't like the 2 Yakuza games I've tried (but didn't finish) either, but I for very different reasons. I actually though the combat was pretty solid (you do unlock more moves and such iirc) in an old school brawler sort of way. Like, it felt very technical -- especially once you hit boss characters that require more skill than flunkies. They did always feel 'second tier' -- I don't know how to describe it, but that slightly clunky look/feel that many Sega developed games had last gen. My issue was feeling overwhelmed by side missions/activities. I'd be enjoying myself alright, then find myself in some karaoki rhythm mini game (i hate rhythm games) and burn myself out trying to get perfects and quit the game in frustration. I can definitely understand why they're loved though.

Have you stuck through to a boss? I always thought the games were loved for their combat mechanics... and iirc the bosses are where the real challenge is.

I don't know anything about a canonical party, because I never pay attention to that (I usually want a games version of warrior/monk/?????/healer/mage where ????? depends on game. Part of party composition will depend on what you're going for -- do you want an easier early game? Or a 'long' build for future DPS (probably Samurai in that case).

You have a Paladin already, which is important for early game imo. I'm pretty sure I went with Gazer, Paladin, Samurai, Wizard, Healer and that worked for me. You could probably replace the Samurai with any melee oriented class and be fine though.

VLiberty

In the end I decided to buy Cel Damage. Local multiplayer is a lot of fun, I'm really liking the gameplay modes... definitely what kills this game is the lack of modes and online. The fact that even on hard it's still rather easy even for a newbie like me doesn't help either, I can see me dropping the Vita version rather quickly.

Local multiplayer on PS3 is ton of fun though and I've got my 1.50 worth lol.

IronLich

Seems to be a Konami/SNK sale this week. Seems to be Mirror of Fate and Harmony of Despair mostly, but I doubt they have added all there is. Meanwhile, SNK seems to have the whole shebang, and I might grab Neogeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting finally, even though I've had the PSP import for years now.

antibolo

Banned
It didn't sync. Because Sony shut off the cross-save servers on Monday due to overload from too many people playing Rogue Legacy.

Great foresight there, Sony.

This reminds me that it took forever for the cross-save to sync for me in Project Diva F 2nd last Sunday. I assume it's related?

Takao

Banned
Do you like Crossy Road? Do you want to play Crossy Road on your PS Vita? Well, guess what? You can't, but you can play a clone on PlayStation Mobile called Animals: Cross the line!

PlayStation Mobile Update: February 10th, 2015:
The animals have lost and they have to save YOU!
Help them while crossing the different roads, railways, rivers and landscapes backgrounds. But be careful!! There are lurking everywhere driven, trucks, cars, trains and logs you erschwaren the progress! Score in the endless game a high highscore and offer it!

Features:
– Endless Level
– Addictive gameplay
– High score

bobawesome

Is it sad that I'm seriously considering getting this? Love Crossy Road.

If you do pick it up I wouldn't mind hearing some impressions. I got pretty addicted to Crossy Road for a while and it would be neat being able to play a competent port on the Vita.

Producer

free Bonus DLC ended for Ayesha Plus but i am surprised they actually put all the DLC up for purchase.

They should do the same for Totori Plus. Didnt have a vita at the time the game released :/

antibolo

Banned
Metal Slug Collection for $10 is tempting. Anyone have any impressions on it, specifically on Vita?

Very half-assed PSP port with many many issues. Wait for the upcoming Metal Slug 3 port by M2 instead. There's also the NeoGeo Station series which are good (also done by M2).

Tizoc

^Metal Slug 3 is by M2? I thought it was by Dotemu who did the MSX and MS3 releases on Steam?

Someone make a thread about the SNK sale!

Metal Slug Collection for $10 is tempting. Anyone have any impressions on it, specifically on Vita?

Oh snaps an SNK sale FINALLY?
I've heard mixed impressions about that one
Get MS1 and MSX PSX classic at least, and get SHock Troopers too.

pahamrick

Anyone heard any rumblings of an Atlus sale on PSN since there's one going on for the eShop right now?

Kinda in the mood to play some Persona 4 Golden, but I can only swing about $15 at the moment.

-Edit-

Oh, an SNK sale. Hopefully next week then.

Tizoc

Anyone heard any rumblings of an Atlus sale on PSN since there's one going on for the eShop right now?

Kinda in the mood to play some Persona 4 Golden, but I can only swing about $15 at the moment.

-Edit-

Oh, an SNK sale. Hopefully next week then.

Atlus sale? Where have you been the past year, Atlus puts their stuff on sale every 2 weeks for as long as I can remember.

pahamrick

Atlus sale? Where have you been the past year, Atlus puts their stuff on sale every 2 weeks for as long as I can remember.

Well, last time I saw Persona 4 Golden on sale was around the middle of January, but I didn't have the money to re-buy it then. Just had an itch to play some, but only have a little over $15 in my PSN wallet so I was hoping there would be one this week.

Tizoc

Well, last time I saw Persona 4 Golden on sale was around the middle of January, but I didn't have the money to re-buy it then. Just had an itch to play some, but only have a little over $15 in my PSN wallet so I was hoping there would be one this week.

Eh you'll likely see it at $20 ^^; UNless there's a big sale kinda thing like what happened a couple of weeks back. Do expect some of their PSP games to go on sale too...I need to finish Kenka Banchou >_>;

EDIT: oh fuck me, please tell me the SamSho collection is a weak collection of ports =_=

pahamrick

Eh you'll likely see it at $20 ^^; UNless there's a big sale kinda thing like what happened a couple of weeks back. Do expect some of their PSP games to go on sale too...I need to finish Kenka Banchou >_>;

I'll hope for 50% off so it hits that magic $14.99. Trying to re-get all my Vita stuff that got stolen has been maddening.

Producer

So the PS3 SNK ports are done by M2? I might pick up KoF94 then. I always skipped out on them because i just assumed they would be half ass ports.

they did? :O lol sigh i bought it early

well the costumes are worth $15 so its still nice, and you cant go wrong supporting atelier.

Top Bottom