• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

autoduelist

Man most people have Persona 4 in their top 3. I feel like I'm the only person that didn't enjoy it that much.

You're not alone. There's a lot I like about it, but I can find all those elements in Nocturne without the elements I don't like.

I never got around to playing Monpiece, because I was really annoyed by the censorship and the lack of a retail release at the time. I ended up buying Banned Game and liking it enough to platinum it, though, so I might just download Monster Monpiece anyway.

Personally, I'd recommend saving your money. I bought it, and plat'd it, and while it's got a solid ccg foundation, it's got two major strikes against it -- 1) abysmal, and I mean abysmal, plot and dialog -- I'm pretty good at ignoring plots, but the dialog in this one is so bad it burns brain cells. I can't think of a game with worse writing. 2) The AI is terrible and easily exploitable, taking any true challenge out of the game. This pretty much means I'd only recommend it to people that have someone to play the card game with, because heads up it's fun. The campaign is a grind and the plat is a grind. It's a shame, too, I liked the ccg.

Right then, here's the rest

Tizoc, if you were to recommend say, 2 (cheap) shmups and 2 'run and guns' (like ikari) which would you recommend?

Also, how do the run & gun controls map on a vita?

Well, I'm definitely hooked on Demon Gaze now, I kinda forgot that this is a week night.

I think drpgs are the only immersive genre for me. I can lose time in plenty of games, but drpgs make me disappear.

DANG IT... another top of page.

Hmm. Play Rayman Origins.

Also, for F2P IAP game, you could do a lot worse than Fat Princess Piece of Cake. You have up to 6 lives at any time, and 1 recharges every 20 minutes. Games can last awhile, so you can play a fair amount of time per session without running out as you'll recharge a few lives while you're spending those 6. It's sort of a simplistic match 3 rpg, where you can match to attack (3 different warriors, 1 healer, 1 super powered princess, and for currency to upgrade). Lots of content. It's certainly balanced to encourage IAP, but I don't think it's necessary, especially if you don't mind trying to beat levels/challenges you're not totally leveled up for. My biggest complaint is that some of the harder levels (and I'm not nearly at the end, there are a ton of 'worlds') seem geared to use the 'specials' (ie, 'destroy column' that cost gold, and I'm not buying IAP). They're beatable without (at least so far, but man would it be easier with them).

deadfolk

That said, hopefully Sony doesn't kill it like the YouTube app.

Well, it never even got released in EU, so take that how you will.

Also, lttp with top 3 games, but reading everyone else's made me realise how huge my backlog is.

I'm going to have to limit myself to games I've either finished or played a decent amount of. That leaves me with a very short list of candidates, so:

1) P4G
2) VLR
3) Miku

I was debating adding Danganronpa or Atelier Rorona, but I'm only on the second chapter of each, so that would probably be premature.

Christ, my backlog...you have no idea.

quabba

All right finished off child of light today just in time to abandon my vita for the n3ds tomorrow.

But youll always be my favorite baby

Tizoc

Tizoc, if you were to recommend say, 2 (cheap) shmups and 2 'run and guns' (like ikari) which would you recommend?

Also, how do the run & gun controls map on a vita?
fROM THE games on sale?
Shmups-
Prehistoric Isle will have you die a lot and is more about positioning and dodging enemy bullets, so you WILL be dieing a lot but the game has inf. continues anyways. If you're OK with seeing dinosaurs do crazy ass shit and don't mind dieing a lot then this game may be worth it even for a 1 time playthrough.

Alpha Mission 2 I haven't played much of but I would totally recommend it mainly because it seems solid and is a good shmup from other impressions I read.

NeoGeo Ultimate Shooting has a kickass soundtrack but is a bullet hell...a VERTICAL bullet hell but I manage just fine. Interestingly enough there is an 'invincibility' option so you sort never lose or use it to learn patterns.
It's basically 2 games in one, so if you can manage a vertical bullet hell on the Vita's small screen, you'll be fine. It does come with an option to have the screen rotated horizontally too!

That's about it from the list I mentioned. Last Resort in the SNK Arcade Collection may only be worth it if you are interested in the other games in it which, far as I've read are decent emulation. Not great, at worst leaving much to be desired.

Now for run n' gun; the run n' gun games do not have a twin stick option, but I like to assign the R button for rapid fire, which comes in handy for Shock Troopers most of the time.
If you want good ports, get MS1 and Shock Troopers at least. SAR can be a coin cruncher, but you got inf. lives so no worries there. SAR is rather fun in the sense that EVERYTHING explodes when you kill it. Think Hokuto no Ken-style explosions lol.

Hope that helped, let me know if there's more you want me to elaborate on =3

Novocaine

Wait what?
How the hell did you get to that point of the game so quickly? Playing on Easy or something?
Yes I'm playing on easy. I am not the biggest fan of grinding in a narrative heavy game so I was told my best course of action was to play easy.

Maid

Banned
People won't be killed for linking to a review of a game, will they?

I don't think they will go that overboard, but then you can't be sure when it comes to the Vita.

Not like there is anything suggestive in the review, though.

ZeroAKA

Since there is a 0.01% chance of my N3DS XL arriving before Monday, I'm going to try my best to get the PDF 2nd platinum this weekend. I think I'm getting close.

Top 3 Vita Games:
1. Hatsune Miku Project Diva f/F 2nd
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Soul Sacrifice Delta

deadfolk

Since there is a 0.01% chance of my N3DS XL arriving before Monday, I'm going to try my best to get the PDF 2nd platinum this weekend. I think I'm getting close.

Top 3 Vita Games:
1. Hatsune Miku Project Diva f/F 2nd
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Soul Sacrifice Delta

I feel your pain. My N3DSXL with MH4U is sitting at home, waiting for me, and I have to go out tonight. The missus even sent me a picture of it. That was...unkind.

Gonna be a long day.

I feel your pain. My N3DSXL with MH4U is sitting at home, waiting for me, and I have to go out tonight. The missus even sent me a picture of it. That was...unkind.

Gonna be a long day.

I am picking mine up on my way to school. So mine is gonna be in my bag all day as I listen to boring lectures, and work on a stupid group project... Sigh.

ZeroAKA

Gonna be a long day.
I am picking mine up on my way to school. So mine is gonna be in my bag all day as I listen to boring lectures, and work on a stupid group project... Sigh.
I should have just convinced a friend to drive me to GameStop today. Oh well, more reason to play Miku.

So um, I check Facebook this morning and the Neo Geo Station page has this posted:

Happy Valentine's Day!! "GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES" to be released soon!?
ハッピーバレンタイン!『餓狼 MARK OF THE WOLVES』、近日配信!?

Now, before everyone looses their shit, it's important to keep in mind that the Neo Geo Station has been posting mostly iOS announcements for the last few years since the Neo Geo Station initiative on PSN was abandoned.

But hey. Wouldn't that be a Happy Valentine's?

Tizoc

So um, I check Facebook this morning and the Neo Geo Station page has this posted:

Now, before everyone looses their shit, it's important to keep in mind that the Neo Geo Station has been posting mostly iOS announcements for the last few years since the Neo Geo Station initiative on PSN was abandoned.

They also released ms3 on ios which later got a pc release.
So i can c garou gettin ios, sony and steam release.

ZeroCoin

Not sure if this was posted or not, but PSTV is going to be a gold box deal on amazon today at noon est and 50% off. Finally going to get me to bite on it and probably pick up another memory card. Really wish that PS1 and PSP saves could use cloud storage as well. That would be really helpful for my Final Fantasy series playthrough if I could actually switch between consoles.

SerTapTap

I never got around to playing Monpiece, because I was really annoyed by the censorship and the lack of a retail release at the time. I ended up buying Banned Game and liking it enough to platinum it, though, so I might just download Monster Monpiece anyway.

I'd recommend it. Yes the plot is lame and they shouldn't have bothered or they should have made it funny like neptunia--a rare few battles have funny opening dialog but that's it. I don't really consider it a major strike though. If you buy a card battle game for the story you're basically insane.

The actual card mechanics are great and only let down by fairly simple AI, but IMO it's still fun to see what decks you can put together, and I Think you can still battle online, you'll just have to arrange to meet with someone since there's not enough players to just wait for matchmaking

Not sure if this was posted or not, but PSTV is going to be a gold box deal on amazon today at noon est and 50% off. Finally going to get me to bite on it and probably pick up another memory card. Really wish that PS1 and PSP saves could use cloud storage as well. That would be really helpful for my Final Fantasy series playthrough if I could actually switch between consoles.

I recommend the PS TV as well, I prefer playing games on it where possible as I can use my TV and a controller and I care less about wear and tear on a standard DS4 than on a Vita. 2D games look great on it and 3D isn't bad considering the source material.

And yeah, I'd still have a lot of PS1/PS2/PSP game saves if PS+ backed up the FEW KILOBYTES that are those saves.

Maid

Banned
The actual card mechanics are great and only let down by fairly simple AI, but IMO it's still fun to see what decks you can put together, and I Think you can still battle online, you'll just have to arrange to meet with someone since there's not enough players to just wait for matchmaking

Forget about not enough players. There is none.
And they are selling those seal for 45k golds. I don't even know how to earn that much with the current gold rate.

SerTapTap

Forget about not enough players. There is none.
And they are selling those seal for 45k golds. I don't even know how to earn that much with the current gold rate.

Like basically anything that isn't a modern military FPS. They really need a "delayed matchmaking" solution for games like this, live matchmaking isn't really an option for a good majority of online games anymore. If you're not AAA your sales are almost meaningless, you're going to need to invite players to play.

But still, it's 1v1 so it's not actually that hard to just play with someone else

Shinriji

Nice reminder that I have to leave this POS facebook group.

I got about 30 hours in before losing interest...

Oh my. Disrespect right here.

Lol it isn't for everyone, the dungeons can get so repetitive after a while. The story was what made me love the game as much as I did. I encourage everyone to at least watch the P3 movies (1 is out on the web with subs, 2 should be out in March with subs as well, 3 is out in Japan soon, but we gotta wait until the bluray for that releases there).

test_account

XP-39C²
Bragging time! But also asking for help. Can someone see if i've missed any european Vita releases in this picture? I know about Criminal Girls, Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 2, Lego Marvel Figurine Edition and Heroes Mega Pack (memory card bundle), but anything else? Soon there has been released 100 phyiscal Vita games in Europe :)

(click on the picture for higher resolution)

antibolo

Banned

No, swap your memory card between your Vita and PSTV. It sounds annoying but it's still a much better solution than transferring cloud saves by hand and risking overwriting a newer copy, and also solves the issue of sharing PS1 and PSP saves.

Boxart and pre-order bonus for Sayonara Umihara Kawase Chiari were revealed today
Sayo-Umihara-PSV-JP-Box-Art.jpg

Sayonara-Umihara-Kawase-Chirari_2015_02-13-15_008.jpg

I think I'll import

Welp got my PS4 set up.

Now once transistor and steam work dig finish downloading I'll be waiting god knows how long for TLOU: RE and FFXIV: ARR to download.

test_account

XP-39C²
From top of my head

XBlaze Code: Embryo
Sly HD Collection

You should also get the physical FFX-2 from Asia.
Not bad, not bad
Thanks to the both of you! :)

Was XBlaze Code released in Europe? I havnt noticed that at least. But i definitelly forgot about Sly Trioligy, so i ordered that now :) And unless i'm blind, i dont see Invizimals: The Resistance in the picture either, but i know that i ordered that game from Amazon about 1.5 months ago. I cant recall if i recieved it or not, but maybe it is at my parents' house.

I might get some of the asian and US Vita releases some time later on, but right now i want to focus on the european releases first (it cost enough as it is hehe). But i do own a physical copy of Dokuro and Sumioni =)

antibolo

Banned
I was initially familiar with this series through the SNES game, my brain's still surprised to see her with huge boobs.

In the Game Center CX episode on Umihara Kawase, Arino receives a signed artwork from the game's illustrator and the first thing he says is "woah her boobs are huge"

SerTapTap

May import. They seem to understand their primary demographic quite well.

What IS Umihara Kawase's primary demographic? I don't generally associate chibi, extremely hard puzzle platformers with massive tits.

Figure's cute though, if the set is cheapish to import and I can bundle it with another order I might bite

Cool, just read Helldivers is finally releasing on March 3rd. Who wants to play it together?

Bragging time! But also asking for help. Can someone see if i've missed any european Vita releases in this picture? I know about Criminal Girls, Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 2, Lego Marvel Figurine Edition and Heroes Mega Pack (memory card bundle), but anything else? Soon there has been released 100 phyiscal Vita games in Europe :)

(click on the picture for higher resolution)

sogood.gif

respect. I wish I had a better camera. The bigger my Vita collection got, the worse it looked in pictures trying to pull back for a wide enough shot.

antibolo

Banned
How is the soundtrack CD that came with the NA Demon Gaze LE? Did it include the entire soundtrack?

I'd like to own a disc of the Demon Gaze soundtrack and looking at the available options. So far from my search it seems it never got a proper standalone release in Japan, wtf?

Matchew

Alrighty, just got a psTV on amazon and so far I'm going to get Persona 4 and was looking at Freedom Wars any impressions on the game?

Top Bottom