• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

autoduelist

what's GGVita?

is RO Ace THAT bad?

There's several people here who liked it. I only played the demo. I don't generally like hunting games, and it felt a bit budget, but I still had fun, which is more than I can say about some of the other hunting games I've played. I figure $12 to scratch that itch and find out for sure isn't so bad; I've spent more on far worse, I'm sure.

Think my haul will be RO:Ace, Geo Wars 3, and Rayman Legends Vita. I will use this expenditure as a reason to not buy any SNK games. Which I'm sad about, but... the ones I really want are too expensive anyway.

Chuy

There's several people here who liked it. I only played the demo. I don't generally like hunting games, and it felt a bit budget, but I still had fun, which is more than I can say about some of the other hunting games I've played. I figure $12 to scratch that itch and find out for sure isn't so bad; I've spent more on far worse, I'm sure.
Can second this sentiment. I spent $20 on it and thoroughly enjoyed it and I think i logged 100+ hours on it and only recently stopped playing it. For $12 i'd say.jump on it as if you don't like it it's not as major a deal as buying it full price and not liking it.
In addition i'd recommend trying the demo beforehand to get a sens of what the game is going to be like

JJP12

Soo is Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth1 a good place to jump into the series with? I've been interested in the Neptunia games for quite a while now

Jagxyz

WTF is up with LBP3 needing 550 MB of online storage?!?

Most games use like 10-50 MB. Crazy.

Also, sony please give more online storage space.

QI4WPSM.jpg

Wait, what?

A little context: she's dying from a wound here.

Tizoc

The idea is that she chose to be compassionate rather than a unemotional soldier. Not sure what's not to get. Perhaps a bit sexist, but it's not the translation's fault.

The meaning is poorly conveyed though, which is why I said that it is best understood in original Japanese.

This brings to mind a line from FF13, where in the JP ver., Hope's mother tells Snow that 'Women are weak, but mothers are strong' (and we all know what that got localized as).

Where'd that kid come from anyway?

I believe the kid is the messenger than appears when you initially go to that area, but it's been a while.
The meaning is poorly conveyed though, which is why I said that it is best understood in original Japanese.

This brings to mind a line from FF13, where in the JP ver., Hope's mother tells Snow that 'Women are weak, but mothers are strong' (and we all know what that got localized as).

This isn't poorly conveyed. It's a common theme in every culture I know of. Women are compassionate. Women soldiers become less womanly (compassionate) in order to become soldiers. Like I said, it's a bit sexist, but it's in no way exclusive to japanese.

_hekk05

Banned
Double dipped on neptunia, bought rayman since PC has UdontPlay

Kinda wanna support aksys but I don't play fighters

Debating Lara Croft and monster monpiece ...

$9 for Monster Monpiece is really tempting actually. Haven't bought the game yet, but I don't think they'll ever beat that price, so I might just bite.

Was considering Life is Strange too, though, so I guess I need to either play the demo and decide or break down and get both.

Tizoc

Thank you so much for this.

You mention the run&gun games aren't dual stick. How are they setup? For example, how do you shoot diagonally? Hot damn I wish you could map it to the right analog.

Man, most of the games I really want are $5 to $10 even on sale. I'm having a hard time justifying that when there are so many other games in my wishlist (not to mention backlog). Dammit, I'm not usually so indecisive.

sORRY FOR THe late reply, they're arcade games so you tap or hold a button to fire and move with the joystick, this isn't the case with Metal Slug of course, but trust me the run n' gun games I mentioned are awesome and once you find your groove you'll be slaughtering evil soldiers left and right and laughing like a maniac at their death cries.

Default control options would have Square to fire, and movement with d-pad or left stick, but you can remap them to any of the face or shoulder buttons on the vita.

autoduelist

sORRY FOR THe late reply, they're arcade games so you tap or hold a button to fire and move with the joystick, this isn't the case with Metal Slug of course, but trust me the run n' gun games I mentioned are awesome and once you find your groove you'll be slaughtering evil soldiers left and right and laughing like a maniac at their death cries.

Default control options would have Square to fire, and movement with d-pad or left stick, but you can remap them to any of the face or shoulder buttons on the vita.

oh, ok. makes sense. I'm used to playing Ikari with the rotary joystick (so you turn at the torso and can fire a different way than you're moving). But if it's move/fire forward i can deal with that, i guess.

i almost avoided buying any of them... but now I think I'm back in.

All the games you reviewed work on vita, correct? Why do the ones I really want need to be so damn expensive...

Tizoc

oh, ok. makes sense. I'm used to playing Ikari with the rotary joystick (so you turn at the torso and can fire a different way than you're moving). But if it's move/fire forward i can deal with that, i guess.

i almost avoided buying any of them... but now I think I'm back in.

All the games you reviewed work on vita, correct? Why do the ones I really want need to be so damn expensive...

Hey they're cheaper than getting the aes cart or actual arcade board :p

autoduelist

These PSN sales have been absolutely killing it. It being my stash of psn cards that was supposed to last far longer than it has been so far.

Picked up Geometry Wars 3, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Dynasty Warriors 8, Rayman Legends, and Ikari Warriors.

I was going to go all out and pick up a bunch more of the SNK games, but willpower won out.

DW8 was a surprise purchase, because I'm an idiot and thought I already owned it, but didn't. Now I do. I really enjoyed Next, so I'm happy.

All I need now is that 256g card.

Hey they're cheaper than getting the aes cart or actual arcade board :p

Absolutely. And they're a great deal. I ended up buying Ikari and playing it some... it helped me wait on the rest. It's still Ikari, and it's still great on vita, but I think I enjoy my memories better (arcade cab with my stepfather, rotary joysticks... vita just can't compete, as much as i love my vita).

bobohoro

is RO Ace THAT bad?

It's by far the worst hunting game of the last couple of years. At least of those that I played, which were quite a few.

It isn't offensively bad, it's just really mediocre and fails at being engaging, balancing challenges or providing interesting loot. Still, for 12$ you'll get your moneys worth, but if you ever feel bored or that the game is becoming a grind for you, just quit it completely. It is not worth it to stick with it, it never really gives you a feeling of payoff for all the hours you may put into it.

Benedict

Which of these games should I start with?

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the new World.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces F

So many PS3 games I haven't had the time to play...

Vylash

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces F

Symphonia is garbage, Graces is okay, I certainly like it more than most people do, Xillia is amazing

bobohoro

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces F

That's a though question.

Symphonia is a fan favourite. But it's quite dated now, I didn't hear the best of things about the port and Dawn Of The New World is of questionable quality.

Xillia is pretty mediocre, like, right in the middle in pretty much everything when it comes to Tales. But it leads into Xillia 2, which is pretty awesome, if it didn't have to carry so much baggage from it's prequel. I'd say to watch cutscenes/story summary of 1 and jump right into 2, or rush through 1 without exploring much. But on the other hand, that's a pretty bad introduction to a series.

Graces F has one of the best battle systems. But its characters and story are incredibly bad and annoying. And it's not even comedy material like Star Ocean 4, more plain exhaustingly bad like Final Fantasy XIII.

I'd say to pick your poison. Probably would still prefer Xillia 1 in the end, because it's shorter and doesn't do anything really bad, well, maybe dungeons and stuff.

Finally finished Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Got it via PS+ and kept taking breaks from it. I think I hated about as much as I enjoyed about it.

Too many annoying minigames. Too much Vita motion stuff that was even worse with PS3 sixaxis when I briefly switched over. I enjoyed the non-gimmicky Sly platforming stuff, though.

Tapejara

Sly 4 is by far the best Sly. I appreciate Sly 1 a lot though for being the only game in the series that's a pure no nonsense linear platformer.

Sly 1 is still my favourite Sly simply because you play as Sly 90% of the time. Bently and Murray control like crap compared to how nimble Sly is. 2 and 4 are still grest though.

I should really pick up the Vita Collection sometime soon.

My brother bought an N3DS, system transfer'd, gave me his old XL... now I can't transfer because of a freaking 7 day waiting period between transfers? This shit wouldn't happen on Vita.
Sly 4 is by far the best Sly. I appreciate Sly 1 a lot though for being the only game in the series that's a pure no nonsense linear platformer.
I'm gonna go back to Sly 1 soon so I can appreciate just that.

So, if anyone remembers, I sent my White Assassin's Creed Vita in for repair last Thursday. The screen was damaged internally, resulting in no picture being shown. Once I removed all my add ons to the Vita, and wrapped it up in its "travel case", it was sent off. They got it within a day or so. I let it go over the weekend, since I figured no one was going to be in to work on it. Monday comes, I avoid checking the website since they are likely still processing the incoming service orders. Tuesday comes, no update on the website...same for Wednesday...Thursday the site just tells me "check for service here!". Ok, I thought, maybe it's just still being worked on, and I'll know when it gets shipped out...Last night, as I was playing a new hunting that's not on a Vita, I got a knock on my door. FedEx was delivering my freshly serviced Vita, back to me, about 1 week after I sent it out.

The unit looked glorious. I bought the unit (to be my main unit) off Craigslist, because I wanted the LE White Vita due to it's hawtness. There was slight damage to the system when I bought it - some scuffs on the back right near the dimple for your fingers, a crack in the front plastic in between the holes for the speakers on the right, and a few other minor dings. I didn't care, and soon to look past those imperfections at the beauty of the white Vita. Examining my freshly serviced unit (heyooo!), I am left breathless. It seems as though Sony just sent me a "brand new" white Vita. ALL damage that was on the system is gone. All scuffs, dings, and very minor scratches are nowhere to be found. I figured they would likely just slap a new faceplate on the thing, but whatever magic they did, my Vita is working, looking, and feeling better than it EVER did, even brand new :D (I know I baby my tech way more than the previous owners, even gauging that from a short Craigslist meetup at their home). This was well worth the $129 to have it repaired. I was afraid they'd just slap a LCD screen in as a replacement...but it doesn't appear that way. I didn't do a comparison with my back up Vita, as I was too consumed with my hunting...but the glow coming off my serviced Vita was familiar enough, it looked just *so* good.

I *was* going to buy a PS TV yesterday, but I missed it. I plan on celebrating this though by purchasing a TON of the NeoGeo games...Tizoc - that is a great list you made, I will be using that as a reference. I've always been very confused though as to what games work/don't work on Vita, but I'll just scope it out on the system itself through the Vita's store. I also plan on finally picking up Xrd, just need to decide on whether I want better visuals or the ability to use my fight stick..

Tl;Dr

+The shipping box was delivered to me in less than 1 day, when they told me it's be 3-5.
+The repair apparently took a day or two, when they told me 7.
+The return shipping was also mentioned to take 3-5 days, it appears to have taken 1.
+Vita is in better shape than ever.
+Sony Repair Service is no joke, I'll gladly spend my money for them to repair anything, anytime.
+$129 so well spent.
++Sony Repair = A+ from me

Top Bottom