• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Man God

Non-Canon Member
revelations 2 runs on MT Framework
now we can be optimistic about about the Vita port since MT Framework powered UMvC3 and SFxT

Makes the lack of a 3DS version odd to be honest. Wii U not getting the game again makes sense, RE:R bombed on there.

antibolo

Banned
Getting a 1000 Yen PSN Card is turning out to be problematic.

- Found someone from Japan in the BST thread but he could only find 3000 Yen cards
- Nippon-Yasan seems the next best, but they don't accept PayPal for prepaid cards and keep rejecting my CC for some reason

Unless someone knows where I could get one cheaper I'm just going to pay what Play-Asia wants for it :/

I have used this (ugly) site often and can confirm that it is legit. They take payment with PayPal.
http://jp-ecards.ocnk.net/product-list/1

antibolo

Banned
Hey so how funny would it be if Oreshika turned out to be one of the free games on PS+ for March.

It does launch on a PS+ update day...

I don't know much about the game besides the fact that it's a JRPG, but $20 is basically impulse buy territory for me.

Yeah same here. I don't know anything (only that it's about gods and families or something) and I'm not going to read anything about it. $20 is a good price to go blind into a new JRPG, even if it's not perfect.

Vylash

A not very favorable htoL#NiQ review. Although you can get a boxquote from it

"Not just Vita GOTY, but GOTY for everything."

http://www.gaming-age.com/2015/02/htolniq-the-firefly-diary-review-for-ps-vita/

"I suspect that a big part of the game's incredible dullness stems from the fact its controls are touchscreen-only"

lol, this is total bullshit, you can change the control scheme in the options menu so you don't even have to use the touchscreen, but i guess that was too hard to figure out for these guys

pariah164

I feel the need to PSA here:

If you want to buy Virtue's Last Reward because of the sale, then for the love of everything good and holy, play 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors first.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, 999 is always cheap for some reason.

I literally only bought it to get free shipping when Radiant Historia went on sale at Amazon. Great decision there...but I still haven't played RH!

"I suspect that a big part of the game's incredible dullness stems from the fact its controls are touchscreen-only"

lol, this is total bullshit, you can change the control scheme in the options menu so you don't even have to use the touchscreen, but i guess that was too hard to figure out for these guys

That's a good reminder for me never to trust a single review, I almost completely dismissed the game after I read about the touchscreen controls...

autoduelist

Was about order a 64gb memory card for my vita but have been put off by some of the reviews on Amazon saying 64gb cards are not that reliable?, is this is true?

They're fine imo. I'm sure people have had them fail, but that's true of most anything. It's still the rare exception.

Some more mini reviews from the ones I know about ---

Atelier series --- cutesy, 'fun' rpgs with most of the focus on a ridiculously in depth crafting system. You go to areas to find materials, optionally battle for more materials, then mix things together to make stuff. Then you use those to make more things. Then you find better base materials, and rebuild your entire tree of stuff with, say, holy water rather than tap water. Biggest complaint is that there is a 'time limit' to the game -- and while the time limit is very generous, every action (especially crafting) takes forever. This stresses me the hell out, so I never end up liking them because I hate that making something takes 5 days and I only have, say, 3 years left.

Limbo - worth 3 bucks. puzzle platformer with a nice aesthetic.

Monster Monpiece -- epic-ly bad story. exploitable AI. solid card game underneath.

Metrico -- interesting platformer puzzler that tries new things. Not all levels work as well as others.

New Little King's Story -- you're a king and acquire a team of warriors/lumberjacks/etc to follow you around. You 'shoot' them at obstacles/enemies. Fun and cute. With a full army (like 30 iirc) you get major slowdown in town, but in the wild framerate is much better.

Silent Hill Book of Memories -- a sort of roguelike in the SH universe. Sounds better on paper. Some people like it, wasn't my thing despite loving survival horror and roguelikes.

Sumioni: Demon Arts + Orgarhythm -- played the demo of both, and wasn't impressed. Suggest doing the same if you're considering them.

Urban Trial Freestyle ---a slightly jankier Trials, but I had a blast with it. Got addicted to the demo, had fun getting the plat. But it's definitely got a slight budget feel.

Zero Escape - VLR -- i hate VNs, but like escape puzzles. So this game was fun for me, overall, though I wish I could have just skipped to the puzzles.

Games I'm curious about ---

Most interested in:
Deception IV: Blood Ties PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
Valhalla Knights 3 PS Vita $ 6.00 $ 10.00 $ 19.99
Sword Art Online -Hollow Fragment- PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99

Maybe interested in:
BEN 10 GALACTIC RACING PS Vita $ 3.00
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles PS Vita $ 7.49
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z PS Vita $ 7.50
Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable PS Vita $ 12.00
Jak and Daxter Collection PS Vita $ 8.10
Ring Run Circus PS Vita $ 2.00 $ 3.50
Tiny Troopers Joint Ops PS Vita $ 3.99

Any thoughts on the above? The only game I'm definitely getting is VK3... the rest I'm totally on the fence about. The ones I want most tend to be the most expensive, which sucks.

EdIT -- actually, Sword Art Online is digital only? I guess I'm definitely getting that too.

ios version cuts out the stupid puzzles right? that sounds like the definitive version to me

They cut out some interactions in the puzzle rooms which add a lot to the characters and story. The iOS version is perfectly serviceable (and a good app in its own right), but the DS is more recommended.

That's my review. I'm definitely not the only person to make this mistake (if it is actually a mistake -- I searched the options pretty thoroughly, and couldn't find anything that allowed me to change inputs). Siliconera, Diehard Gamefan and Playstation Lifestyle all also had the same issue, which leads me to think that if there is that option, it wasn't included in the review build.

RK128

Most interested in:

Maybe interested in:

Any thoughts on the above? The only game I'm definitely getting is VK3... the rest I'm totally on the fence about. The ones I want most tend to be the most expensive, which sucks.

EdIT -- actually, Sword Art Online is digital only? I guess I'm definitely getting that too.

If you look at my posts of Mini review you didn't cover (most of the ones I mentioned), then a majority of them are 'good buy for its current price' (Ben 10 looks to be a fun abit average kart racer, Jak Collection is mixed despite being a pack of three fantastic games due to performance issues though Jak 1 reportedly runs fine after the first hour or so, ect).

I highly recommend Sword Art Online though; fun gameplay, a mammoth amount of content, fun combat system, funny character interactions (even though the game has a few 'what' moments with Kirto being either tricked/pushed/whatever into getting in awkward and weird situations with the female party members....they ALL love him, even though he's married in-game; its pure gold to be honest XD!) and overall great game :).

Here is my set of mini reviews to help you with the rest of the games:
A general overview for a number of the games on sale, so people who never played them will have an idea how good/bad/okay they are :).

Angry Birds Star Wars - Do I even have to explain this one? It is a fun abet overpriced iOS game where you launch birds at pigs to kill them; mindless fun in the long run.
Atelier Meruru/Rorona/Totori Plus - Never played these, but they look like fun JRPG's that have a sudo-real time action combat system and fun characters. Fans of JRPG's should find fun in this one I think
Ben 10 Gelactic Racing - Want a cheap Mario Kart clone? Look no further :D! For only 3 bucks you will find a painfully average kart racer that doesn't really do much with both the game type and the IP attached to it.
Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified - Just talk to Flandy about this one, he seems to really love it XD! Serouslly though, this is a very 'meh' shooter that while not horrid by any means, is a really bad Call of Duty game.
Castlevania Dracula Chronicles X - For 7.45, you will be getting a great compilation; a solid remake of RoB, the original RoB and even SoTN. A great package all around if you love both classic and Metroidvanna Castlevania games :).
Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z - A team-based fighter where you can control two characters (I think you can swap between them with a button press). Fun fighter with classic DBZ craziness :D.
EDF: 2017 Portable - Who doesn't love a game where you shoot waves and waves of giant ants :D! From what I've heard, really fun game that while has performance issues when things get to hectic, overall a fun time
Project DIVA - A music game that many seem to really enjoy :). I never played these, but everyone seems to really love them, so I can't say more then that if you enjoy music games, give this a shot; 20 bucks is a good deal considering it normally costs 40 bucks.
Home - Did anyone play Lone Survivor? This is that but remove a lot of the tension that game had and it make it more like an adventure game. For not even 3 bucks, you can't beat a fun horror adventure I think :).
Neptunia ReBirth1 - I never played this series before, but from my limited understanding of them, they are fun RPG's that center around 4 characters that represent Sony, Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft (so basically an anime take on the console wars, if that makes sense). The references to other games and the games seemly quirky humor makes it look like a fun JRPG to dive into :).
Jak Collection - Three fantastic games butchered in one package :). Comment aside, this is the cheapest the collection has came too, so if you have even a slight interest in checking these out on Vita (like myself), then this sale is a great way to do so. Jak 1 runs okay (locked 20FPS), Jak 2 has bad slowdown but hits 30FPS the most out of the three games and Jak 3 runs really bad on Vita (reaches the teens with the frame rate X(). They look great on Vita and Jak 1 plays well, so in a way, you are only paying for a mostly playable Jak 1 and semi-playable versions of Jak 2 and 3 with this sale; not a great deal, but better then it normally is :l
Jet Set Radio - Fantastic port from the PS3 version; runs great on Vita, controls well on the system, has cross-save enabled and you can even use the touch screen for tagging :). There is a learning curve with the controls, but if you can get over that, you are in for a fun game :D.

I will come back to post more mini-reviews of the sales if this helps you guys out somehow :).

Takao

Banned
Makes the lack of a 3DS version odd to be honest. Wii U not getting the game again makes sense, RE:R bombed on there.

Not all versions of MT Framework are created equally:

"It's partly a technical reason. We have our own custom engine called the MT Framework, and as the mobile and home console versions are quite different technically, given that we were taking the home console versions as a starting point, it just led somewhat naturally.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/18/heres-why-resident-evil-revelations-2-isnt-coming-to-the-3ds

i have the review build, it's there

Odd. When I go to the options page, all that's there is volume. If there's a way to change the controls -- and I'm not saying there isn't, since clearly some people have that option -- they've hidden it really well.

Not that slightly better controls would change my opinion of the game all that much. It's still really, really dull. Fantastic-looking, but one of the most boring games I've ever played.

autoduelist

Here is my set of mini reviews to help you with the rest of the games:

Yep, thanks! I read them the first time and they are helpful, but many of the games I'm curious about aren't on either of our lists. I just cut and paste my 'maybe' list-- I didn't specifically remove the games you'd already mentioned simply because I'm also interested in other opinions.

It's always difficult come sales time... too many games.

Tizoc

They're fine imo. I'm sure people have had them fail, but that's true of most anything. It's still the rare exception.

Some more mini reviews from the ones I know about ---

Atelier series --- cutesy, 'fun' rpgs with most of the focus on a ridiculously in depth crafting system. You go to areas to find materials, optionally battle for more materials, then mix things together to make stuff. Then you use those to make more things. Then you find better base materials, and rebuild your entire tree of stuff with, say, holy water rather than tap water. Biggest complaint is that there is a 'time limit' to the game -- and while the time limit is very generous, every action (especially crafting) takes forever. This stresses me the hell out, so I never end up liking them because I hate that making something takes 5 days and I only have, say, 3 years left.

Limbo - worth 3 bucks. puzzle platformer with a nice aesthetic.

Monster Monpiece -- epic-ly bad story. exploitable AI. solid card game underneath.

Metrico -- interesting platformer puzzler that tries new things. Not all levels work as well as others.

New Little King's Story -- you're a king and acquire a team of warriors/lumberjacks/etc to follow you around. You 'shoot' them at obstacles/enemies. Fun and cute. With a full army (like 30 iirc) you get major slowdown in town, but in the wild framerate is much better.

Silent Hill Book of Memories -- a sort of roguelike in the SH universe. Sounds better on paper. Some people like it, wasn't my thing despite loving survival horror and roguelikes.

Sumioni: Demon Arts + Orgarhythm -- played the demo of both, and wasn't impressed. Suggest doing the same if you're considering them.

Urban Trial Freestyle ---a slightly jankier Trials, but I had a blast with it. Got addicted to the demo, had fun getting the plat. But it's definitely got a slight budget feel.

Zero Escape - VLR -- i hate VNs, but like escape puzzles. So this game was fun for me, overall, though I wish I could have just skipped to the puzzles.

Most interested in:

Maybe interested in:

My recommendations are
EDF 2017 and Dracula X Chronicles.

Dracula X Chronicles has the JP dub for the 3 games, meaning you get more Wakamoto in your life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oma-VUECmc

Whelp, looks like the rest of my night will be spent grinding out that Shinovi Versus plat.

Any tips on the 10 aerial rave trophy and the 100 parries one? It's all I've got left.

SerTapTap

Whelp, looks like the rest of my night will be spent grinding out that Shinovi Versus plat.

Any tips on the 10 aerial rave trophy and the 100 parries one? It's all I've got left.

Just go to the first level in Hanzo for the 100 parries, kill all but one of the wooden robots. Didn't take as long as I feared. I think 10 arial raves is easy with a character with max Flash skill in normal form, Asuka should work, on that same level/any with lots of trash mobs. I don't think they despawn if you're fast enough so you can just keep beating them up until you get 10.

Flandy

Has Grace Chen hit the big update button yet
I don't care that the store isn't supposed to update for like another 24 hours

AsfaeksBR

F5mH0KI.jpg

I don't even own a Vita...
yet!

Vylash

really shocked at how well optimized The Sly Collection is on Vita, sound is a bit buggy but other than that Sly 2 and 3 look and play wonderfully, need Sly 5 now

Just go to the first level in Hanzo for the 100 parries, kill all but one of the wooden robots. Didn't take as long as I feared. I think 10 arial raves is easy with a character with max Flash skill in normal form, Asuka should work, on that same level/any with lots of trash mobs. I don't think they despawn if you're fast enough so you can just keep beating them up until you get 10.

Great tips, and Asuka was a much better choice for the aerial raves than Katsuragi (my fave/default).

One down, still a fuckload to go.

Maid

Banned
Monster Monpiece is on sale again? I love how they keep rubbing salt in my wound.

I can't deal with Rise's japanese voice, and before you start torching me, YES, I love Persona 4, and Rise as a character. Her japanese VA is just wayyy too "squeaky" for me. Laura Bailey in my opinion gives the character a much better, more credible tone of voice.

I know I'm late in this, but the only reason I payed attention to Rise is because her JP VA. That kind of squeaky is unique to Kugumiya Rie only.

Laura Bailey is why I haven't even bothered to buy P4G.

>Playing AC Liberation enough to nearly Platinum it
smh

I really don't know what the issue is with people hating on Liberation. Maybe I started playing it after most of the bugs were patched, but I really didn't have any issue with it other than a mediocre frame rate and the lady persona being bullshit to use.

Oh, and the multiplayer - but all AC games up to IV have shitty MP.

Top Bottom