• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Do we? Any game announcement for Vita gets announced on General Discussions first :V

Yup on Neogaf, and that's where our community is. Try looking for any information on Oreshika on any major gaming website and then get back at me :p

TOTP: March is coming. A lot of good games are coming. Rather than telling you what to buy, I'll tell you to consider what you must/must not buy!

Yup on Neogaf, and that's where our community is. Try looking for any information on Oreshika on any major gaming website and then get back at me :p
The VitaGAF community and the guys over at the Vita Lounge are the best. The reddit community is okay, they seem a bit entitled.

whenever I write a review for a Vita game you can bet someone will talk to me about the game. I have never been part of such a strong community before and it's awesome o/

ZeroAKA

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Game of the Month voting has started! You may vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in February 2015. You can either PM me on GAF (which I prefer) or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Please format the PM as shown below, or your PM may be ignored:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)

I just jumped on the $82 memory card deal. Somebody gimme the gif!

I also just got a PSTV cheap from the b/s/t thread. I'll drop my 32gb into that for maximum Vita action in my hands and on the big screen.

SerTapTap

Since going with carts memory card space hasn't been a problem on my Vita...but I almost miss when it was. Can't do jack shit about whether I have to swap carts. I finally got a cart holder (not great, but they never are) to keep them all together though. I'mma get rich and just buy physical AND digital of everything. Problem solved right.

Takao

Banned
I'd settle for a Vita compatible psp translation if they have no plans for a Vita version. I need the game on my Vita.

TFSP looks pretty low rent and it has no online multiplayer. A localization would have to be priced appropriately ($20 or less) for me to want to join in.

CrovaxPSO

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. I've never had any problems with Nippon Yasan before.

If you ever do get the game, please let me know what you think of it, and in particular whether it's playable with very little Japanese knowledge. I know two thirds of the game would be lost on me (the VN sections and the uploading-to-the-internet sections), but the thought of driving round Japanese countryside taking pictures is really appealing to me.

Will do. My Japanese isn't great, good enough for simple daily conversation, but the travel aspect is really what interested me as well. I bought a listing on eBay that includes the first-print bonus soundtrack since I really like the music, ended up costing about $25 more than my pre-order would have, but oh well. Should be here in a week or so.

As for Nippon Yasan, I ordered from them once before and it went mostly fine, just took several days for them to ship it, but that was something that was already released for several months. I don't have a problem with them taking over a week to ship a pre-order after release day, I understand things can happen with suppliers, but they should allow order cancellations if that's the case. Especially if that delay results in the order not coming with a pre-order bonus that it should have.

SerTapTap

Good, it's fun. I'd play with people if I knew who anyone on my PSN friends list was and or who actually had MM. I wish Sony made that a bit easier for those of us not intimately aware of which of our friends have/play which games

Yep. I came across this podcast discussing it from a few months ago and one of the people said 'I think it's disgusting' which gave me the final push to buy it. I'm weird, I know.

It's a boxquote if I ever heard one.

RK128

I put 10 bucks into PSN and got Jak Collection and that Ben 10 Racing game (....nothing in the sale is that huge for me; own SAO, never played Tales before, might get the Project Diva game latter on, never played the Ateler series before, and heard mixed thoughts on that Spider Man game :l).

Didn't play the Ben 10 game yet but I already know what to get out of it; an okay kart racer that doesn't do much with the IP :l.

The Jak Collection is interesting, as I came in fully aware of the horrid frame rate issues Gaf reported on.....but that doesn't bother me that much :l. I only played Jak 1 and 3 so far and....they are playable for me. Granted, I played both of them a LOT on my PS2/PS3, but they felt okay for me. Jak 1 I played the most, but Jak 3 played okay too (even the rear touch-controls felt okay), so overall okay purchase for 8 bucks :).

I might consider picking up Neptunia ReBirth 1 just from the little I heard about it (odd sense of humor, interesting combat system, bizarre but at the same time cool premise of the console wars being represented with anime), but I'm not super sure about that one :l.

SerTapTap

I might consider picking up Neptunia ReBirth 1 just from the little I heard about it (odd sense of humor, interesting combat system, bizarre but at the same time cool premise of the console wars being represented with anime), but I'm not super sure about that one :l.

doit.gif IMO it's worth the $15 for humor alone. If you have a good knowledge of games, especially Japanese ones, and some knowledge of Japanese culture/anime tropes you can get a lot of laughs out of it. It's full of extremely self-aware humor. Closest I can think of would be things like Dangan Ronpa 2 or Retro City Rampage that make lots of call outs to the fact that it's a game, references to other games and such.

Only unfortunate thing IMO is the difficulty curve is a bit wonky in Rebirth 1 but Rebirth 2 fixes that. Combat is fine IMO, it's a Quest-64 ish thing where you move around freely within your movement range on your turn, then aim your spells/their AOE (if any) and execute the attack. Lots of crazy special attacks that are very frequently references to games, consoles, accessories. And you get to beat up dating sims, "horsebirds", Super Mario Pipes, the enemies are glorious. There's even an Xbone dog, and lots of fun little things like this:

Liking cute things, anime and grinding for fancy outfits/unnecessary amounts of power are helpful but not necessary to enjoy it IMO as long as you appreciate the type of humor.
I wish I were as comfortable pimping my own videos as I am other people's games

RK128

doit.gif IMO it's worth the $15 for humor alone. If you have a good knowledge of games, especially Japanese ones, and some knowledge of Japanese culture/anime tropes you can get a lot of laughs out of it. It's full of extremely self-aware humor. Closest I can think of would be things like Dangan Ronpa 2 or Retro City Rampage that make lots of call outs to the fact that it's a game, references to other games and such.

Only unfortunate thing IMO is the difficulty curve is a bit wonky in Rebirth 1 but Rebirth 2 fixes that. Combat is fine IMO, it's a Quest-64 ish thing where you move around freely within your movement range on your turn, then aim your spells/their AOE (if any) and execute the attack. Lots of crazy special attacks that are very frequently references to games, consoles, accessories. And you get to beat up dating sims, "horsebirds", Super Mario Pipes, the enemies are glorious. There's even an Xbone dog, and lots of fun little things like this:

Liking cute things, anime and grinding for fancy outfits/unnecessary amounts of power are helpful but not necessary to enjoy it IMO as long as you appreciate the type of humor.
I wish I were as comfortable pimping my own videos as I am other people's games

Thanks to the response TapTap :D, might get this before the sale ends then :). I can easily see where your points are coming from (ex: they have a Solid Snake-esc character in the Neptunia game that just came out recently), and I found the little of what I saw of the game to be quite funny. Thank you for the response, and I might get this game now :).

Got 12 hours so far, enjoying it!

Get Counterattack ability cards, makes it much easier to not get walled.
Ex: Basilisk Lv3, Neptune Lv2

Try to get the large Mana Bonuses (+3 Mana, +1 HP to all monsters on field, +1 Attack). You basically play the same Aura (color) card for 3 turns to get a large Mana Bonus.

SerTapTap

Got 12 hours so far, enjoying it!

Get Counterattack ability cards, makes it much easier to not get walled.
Ex: Basilisk Lv3, Neptune Lv2

Try to get the large Mana Bonuses (+3 Mana, +1 HP to all monsters on field, +1 Attack). You basically play the same Aura (color) card for 3 turns to get a large Mana Bonus.

It's extremely useful to focus on duo or monocolor decks for the mana bonuses. I've currently got all mono color decks, in my experience red and yellow are the easiest to make work (lots of healers, melees and archers. I rarely use buffs)

It's extremely useful to focus on duo or monocolor decks for the mana bonuses. I've currently got all mono color decks, in my experience red and yellow are the easiest to make work (lots of healers, melees and archers. I rarely use buffs)

I should get around to making a mono/duo! Don't think I have enough cards right now.

Yeah, I started out using buffs with my melee monsters but having a healer behind them has been much more useful.

RK128

I'm going to post my feelings on Jak Collection on the Vita, so that way it can better help people in deciding if the collection is worth the 8.10 it costs :).

Visuals: The games oddly enough, look fantastic on Vita :D. I say that due to the collection not being in native resolution, but they look clean and their style pops nicely off the Vita's screen :).
Sound: Across the three games, they sound just as well as the PS3 collection. The sound effects still have that satisfying 'pow' that the original games had (like when you punch, the sound of that attack feels so good to land for example :)).
Controls: Again, this surprised me, considering how it uses the rear touch pad for critical actions (Jak 2's Dark Jak and Hoverboard, Jak 3's car boosters, Light/Dark Jak moves, Hoverboard) but with my PDP Vita 1000 grip, using the rear touch pad so far has been solid and works well :).
Performance: This is where my thoughts get a bit confused :(. Jak 1 is interesting, as like other posters said, the game runs at a mostly stable 20FPS (sorta like the N64 versions of OoT and MM) but after the initial levels (the intro stage, Sandover, the Beach Area, the Jungle Area, ect) the frame rate gets a solid boost to 25+FPS, making the game more playable. Jak 2 is very odd, as it runs very well on Vita :D (ironic, as it is the game I dislike the most of the trilogy XD); mostly stable 30FPS in platforming levels, somewhat stable frame rate in the Haven City, and the controls feel a lot more responsive compared to Jak 1 and 3 :). Jak 3....man, what did they DO to you X(. This suffers the most out of the trilogy on the Vita sadly; lowest frame rate of the three games (which must be annoying in the driving levels....), less responsive controls and the game where I feel the visuals take the biggest hit on Vita form the PS3 collection (it just looks off on Vita, where Jak 1 and 2 look very sharp on the Vita's screen; could be from the desert area looking samey, but who knows :l).
Overall: For 8 bucks, you could do a whole lot worse then this honestly :). The collection on the PSN is the cheapest it has ever been, and performance issues aside, it is great to have three amazing games in the palm of you hands, so I find the performance issues being a okay trade-off for having these on the Vita. Granted, I would like the games to run a lot better (notably Jak 3), but considering how many programing tricks Naughty Dog took to make the initial PS2 games, it is impressive enough to see this running on Vita (it could have been a LOT worse...).

Hope this helps anyone interested in the collection; 8 bucks for a flawed port of a collection is a okay deal for that price compared to the games normal 30 dollar price point :).

pariah164

After a couple hours of play, I'm really enjoying Monpiece. Having issues with the card leveling, but that's probably my hands being clumsy.

Maid

Banned
After a couple hours of play, I'm really enjoying Monpiece. Having issues with the card leveling, but that's probably my hands being clumsy.

You'll get used to it eventually. Remember not to bother with any of their rubbing method. The only thing you need to know is 4 fingers poking style and that will work for all the game.

Have to move the screen with the stick is dumb, though.

pariah164

you mean the first crush rub system?
Yep. I literally had no idea what I was doing. Too used to Senran Kagura I guess.

You'll get used to it eventually. Remember not to bother with any of their rubbing method. The only thing you need to know is 4 fingers poking style and that will work for all the game.

Have to move the screen with the stick is dumb, though.
4 finger poking, got it.

And yes, that IS dumb as fuck. Why would you even.

Vylash

Yep. I literally had no idea what I was doing. Too used to Senran Kagura I guess.

4 finger poking, got it.

And yes, that IS dumb as fuck. Why would you even.

yeah, it's called first crush rub even though rubbing isn't the way to go about it, just tap around until you find sweet spots and tap over and over

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The fuck is "System Use" and why is there 10gb of it on my Vita? I've already deleted my uninstalled patches, what else do I need to do? Someone tell me before I change my mind on Miku.
I won't change my mind I really really really want it.

wilflare

The fuck is "System Use" and why is there 10gb of it on my Vita? I've already deleted my uninstalled patches, what else do I need to do? Someone tell me before I change my mind on Miku.
I won't change my mind I really really really want it.

save files? screenshots? videos? themes?

ZeroAKA

It's going to be interesting when I post the March thread tomorrow night without anything listed in the PS+ section
besides the Driveclub that we're never getting.

Top Bottom