• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

jvm

Gamasutra.
Have games that were free on PS+ ever been on the monthly free list again? I'm contemplating buying Resogun but know it was once free. Chances of it coming up again?
Yes. Happened ages ago. I don't think it's happened again recently. As someone else said -- just do it.

SerTapTap

Just ignore the port begging/"I hate vita waaa" threads, guys.

Was it known that Ovosonico (Murasaki Baby) was working on a new PS4 exclusive? If not, they are.

Yes. Happened ages ago. I don't think it's happened again recently. As someone else said -- just do it.

I don't think they've done it for a long time, and since they went to 2 a month per platform I wouldn't ever expect it to happen again. PS+ rotation was...very, very weird before. And yeah, just buy Resogun.

Problem is you do not have as much room to "play" with on the vita analog sticks. Its why for example action games that work on the PS Vita TV work better due to being able to use the DS3 which analog sticks have more range of movement allowing for better aiming.

Its more a hardware limitation rather than an actual game flaw. But perfectly understandable considering the PSV is a portable unit.

Yeah the Vita sticks are great for simple directions like Binding of Isaac, but for fine tuned aiming like Freedom Wars they're not great. Though Mercenary does it quite well as you can use gyro aiming for precision and analogs for sweeping movements. Can't speak for Hotline Miami, didn't try it. A lot of people seem to think it plays best on Vita though.

Axiom Verge does look great. 2015 is the year in which I am actually interested in quite a bunch of indie titles rather than just one or two.

If you're interested in a ton of indies in 2015...you probably just missed a ton earlier. Not that 2015 isn't a good year, but aside from some higher budget things like Rime, it's nothing special either.

If you're interested in a ton of indies in 2015...you probably just missed a ton earlier. Not that 2015 isn't a good year, but aside from some higher budget things like Rime, it's nothing special either.

For someone like me that doesn't game on PC, this stuff is all new. Sure it may have been made a while ago, but I've never touched any of them. Severed, Salt and Sanctuary, Darkest Dungeon, Axion Verge, Shovel Knight (which I skipped on 3DS because I knew it would get a vita version at some point) and Project Light are just a few off the top of my head.

Massa

good. point some mods in there and tell them to get banning for all the port begging.

As I understand it port begging is only bannable if you derail unrelated threads with that kind of talk. There's nothing wrong with creating a thread specifically to discuss what a portable game could be on console or vice versa.

Vita/console or PC? I honestly think twinstick controls are 100% garbage for the game. It's playable, but the mouse is preferable in every way.

If you prefer playing games with M&KB, sure. I can't do that anymore with fast paced games, I played Hotline Miami with a dual shock back when it came out on PC and it was fine. If you use the lock on targetting it's even much easier playing with a controller.

Aeana

The port begging rules are actually in place to prevent derailment of threads by people complaining about the game not being on whatever system they want it to be on. Creating a thread about the potential of a game on another platform can be less of an issue. This really depends on the tone of the thread, though, and the history of discussion about that game on the forum. I looked at the thread in question, and it seems like the OP is mainly thinking about higher resolution/bigger budget, and is a fan of the game already, which is not as objectionable as if he were saying "I want to play this game, but it's not on PS4, they should put it there because the platform it's on is terrible" which would absolutely be classified as port begging. With that said, I locked the thread since the discussion going on isn't even very good and it's inviting worse posts than the OP.

We haven't been as harsh on port begging lately, though, which is something we'll have to look at.

SerTapTap

For someone like me that doesn't game on PC, this stuff is all new. Sure it may have been made a while ago, but I've never touched any of them. Severed, Salt and Sanctuary, Darkest Dungeon, Axion Verge, Shovel Knight (which I skipped on 3DS because I knew it would get a vita version at some point) and Project Light are just a few off the top of my head.

Even playstation has had pretty good indie support, especially over the last couple years, but I can see how the 2014/15 ones would be the most visible. I love that Sony seems to give every indie at least one PS Blog post for/before launch now. I've been meaning to compile a list of indies I've liked on PS3, Vita and PS4, but I never really bothered getting my site into shape yet.

Even playstation has had pretty good indie support, especially over the last couple years, but I can see how the 2014/15 ones would be the most visible. I love that Sony seems to give every indie at least one PS Blog post for/before launch now. I've been meaning to compile a list of indies I've liked on PS3, Vita and PS4, but I never really bothered getting my site into shape yet.

I believe aside from Shovel and Axiom that brief list of games that I gave you is all stuff that is being made with the vita in mind, rather than just ports. Indies have quite honestly come a long way in my eyes, and this year the line up seems to be quite strong. Sure I like me some RPGS and all that nice higher budget stuff, but these games are so unique, and try so many different things because of the limitations that the creators have. Rather than pouring money and man power into the product to hopefully make it fun, these devs pour their heart and soul into their games, and it shows. Really excited for this year. Vita Means will have a lot to talk about this year.

nampad

Just ignore the port begging/"I hate vita waaa" threads, guys.

Was it known that Ovosonico (Murasaki Baby) was working on a new PS4 exclusive? If not, they are.

Didn't like Murasaki Baby so I am not that disappointed with Ovosonico moving on to the PS4.
The reinforcement of the fact that Sony/Yoshida is dropping the Vita support as quick as possible to have everything on the PS4 sucks though.

The port begging rules are actually in place to prevent derailment of threads by people complaining about the game not being on whatever system they want it to be on. Creating a thread about the potential of a game on another platform can be less of an issue. This really depends on the tone of the thread, though, and the history of discussion about that game on the forum. I looked at the thread in question, and it seems like the OP is mainly thinking about higher resolution/bigger budget, and is a fan of the game already, which is not as objectionable as if he were saying "I want to play this game, but it's not on PS4, they should put it there because the platform it's on is terrible" which would absolutely be classified as port begging. With that said, I locked the thread since the discussion going on isn't even very good and it's inviting worse posts than the OP.

We haven't been as harsh on port begging lately, though, which is something we'll have to look at.

Thank you for clearing this up.
We were angry at this thread because it is one of many situations were people cry for a PS4 port of Vita games while we often get to hear that the Vita doesn't have any worthwhile games in nearly every thread.
We understand those are not necessary the same people.

SerTapTap

I believe aside from Shovel and Axiom that brief list of games that I gave you is all stuff that is being made with the vita in mind, rather than just ports. Indies have quite honestly come a long way in my eyes, and this year the line up seems to be quite strong. Sure I like me some RPGS and all that nice higher budget stuff, but these games are so unique, and try so many different things because of the limitations that the creators have. Rather than pouring money and man power into the product to hopefully make it fun, these devs pour their heart and soul into their games, and it shows. Really excited for this year. Vita Means will have a lot to talk about this year.

Aside from Severed I'm not sure which of those even really have anything super Vita specific. The amazing thing about the Vita for me, as a portable console, is just it can play regular-ass games instead of braindead butchered monstrosities, most indie games on Vita just play like they're supposed to regardless of "port" or "native".

Aside from Severed I'm not sure which of those even really have anything super Vita specific. The amazing thing about the Vita for me, as a portable console, is just it can play regular-ass games instead of braindead butchered monstrosities, most indie games on Vita just play like they're supposed to regardless of "port" or "native".

Totally agree, it just feels right. Some of these games, although great looking and all, I simply wouldn't want to play on a big screen. Stuff with pixel graphics and such, makes more sense in a smaller tighter screen (which if you own the OLED model looks awesome). Also the portability factor, like you mentioned.

Maid

Banned
Playing Don't Starve on the big screen bored the hell out of me. Surprisingly I find it's much more enjoyable when playing on the Vita. I guess these kind of artstyle really does not fit my taste to be on the big screen.

I think the problem usually is that the port begging thread brings the bad from both sides, not the thread itself. It's hard to discuss the benefit of the port platform without bashing the original one, and people mostly choose the easy way out by trash talking. When it escalates, it's a flame war.

The merit from the discussion isn't worth it, imo.

As an aside guys, we on the Vita means podcast settled for Monday to release our episodes, HOWEVER, because we recorded our episode 0 on a Thursday, we want to start on a clean slate, so the very first official episode will come next week, on the 19th.

Since we first recorded we have been getting better equipment, and I have been working on my editing skills a bit, so we can deliver you something with better quality and professionalism :p I cooked up a little logo and banner as well, the link for now will still be the same: www.vitameans.wordpress.com but pretty soon I may just buy us the domain, and get rid of that ugly wordpress "stamp" on the URL. I'm also looking into iTunes, so we can make the show more readily available to everyone on all kinds of apps and whatnot.

Also created a Twitter for us @vita_means which you can contact us on, it will be updated frequently with news when they happen, as well as updates on future episodes and projects. You can find me on Twitter too @names2hard4you if you want to contact me directly whether you are a Gaffer or not.

That's it for now... I'm hard at work here trying to make something you guys can all be proud of :D

Prelude.

In case you don't know (I sure as hell didn't) there are 3 free Destiny of Spirits themes in the store, they're labeled as "avatars" because they're avatar/themes bundles.

I didn't check the avatars since I don't want to turn my ps3 on but the themes and the BMG (this one, literally, since they kept the fucking sound effects in) are pretty nice.

antibolo

Banned
Just read The Drop. Haha Atelier Ayesha is missing, people are complaining in the comments and Ryan's all like "sorry, I didn't know because it's not on my list".

Hence continuing the proud tradition of Atelier Vita games getting as little pre-release fanfare as possible.

SerTapTap

Speaking of Atelier do we know what the deal is with that PS3 trilogy in one case thing that was leaked(?) for europe? Never gotten into the games (and they're RPGs so I probably won't unless I'm amazed) but if they had a trilogy for a low price I might jump in on that. How awful is the crafting though, it seems like that's integral to the gameplay and I usually hate that stuff anymore.

I appreciate the feedback on Hotline, folks. I can tell it takes patience and practice. Just not sure I have the time to devote to it. What's this about lock on? I see in the options it's enabled via touch. Is that the way to go? I'll try some tutorial videos, too, to make sure I'm not missing some key gameplay element.

antibolo

Banned
Speaking of Atelier do we know what the deal is with that PS3 trilogy in one case thing that was leaked(?) for europe? Never gotten into the games (and they're RPGs so I probably won't unless I'm amazed) but if they had a trilogy for a low price I might jump in on that. How awful is the crafting though, it seems like that's integral to the gameplay and I usually hate that stuff anymore.

The entire games revolve around crafting, yes. That's kind of the whole point of them, you play a cute alchemist little girl who makes cute alchemy, and then go outside and fight alongside your (mostly cute) friends to gather stuff to make more cute alchemy.

wilflare

As an aside guys, we on the Vita means podcast settled for Monday to release our episodes, HOWEVER, because we recorded our episode 0 on a Thursday, we want to start on a clean slate, so the very first official episode will come next week, on the 19th.

Since we first recorded we have been getting better equipment, and I have been working on my editing skills a bit, so we can deliver you something with better quality and professionalism :p I cooked up a little logo and banner as well, the link for now will still be the same: www.vitameans.wordpress.com but pretty soon I may just buy us the domain, and get rid of that ugly wordpress "stamp" on the URL. I'm also looking into iTunes, so we can make the show more readily available to everyone on all kinds of apps and whatnot.

Also created a Twitter for us @vita_means which you can contact us on, it will be updated frequently with news when they happen, as well as updates on future episodes and projects. You can find me on Twitter too @names2hard4you if you want to contact me directly whether you are a Gaffer or not.

That's it for now... I'm hard at work here trying to make something you guys can all be proud of :D

are you still looking for more people to join the team? :p

SerTapTap

I appreciate the feedback on Hotline, folks. I can tell it takes patience and practice. Just not sure I have the time to devote to it. What's this about lock on? I see in the options it's enabled via touch. Is that the way to go? I'll try some tutorial videos, too, to make sure I'm not missing some key gameplay element.

BTW the thing about Hotline Miami is that it's more like a puzzle game than an action game. Failing constantly and quickly is not you messing up the controls, that's just how it plays.

The entire games revolve around crafting, yes. That's kind of the whole point of them, you play a cute alchemist little girl who makes cute alchemy, and then go outside and fight alongside your (mostly cute) friends to gather stuff to make more cute alchemy.

Yes but how...awful is it? For instance, Dark Cloud 2 has a very sane system where almost everything in the game drops the same like 5 or so items to upgrade weapons and normal enemies dropped stuff for most other crafting in abundance. In contrast there's Freedom Wars where you can spend 45 minutes struggling to kill a foe who has only a small chance to drop a single item, also you need 3 of that item and 5 of some other items that are similarly hard to get.

Transparency of what you need to get/use and how easy it is to get makes a big difference

are you still looking for more people to join the team? :p

For now it's only 3 of us. What we are gonna do is have certain episodes in which people from here come join us and talk about games. We also will have certain topics on which we ask for your opinion and we will read it on the next episode.

Our next topic is our most anticipated Vita titles for 2015. What we want is for people to use our form on the website:

Form page

And just tell us in few words which games you are looking forward to, and why. We will pick a bunch randomly, and read them out loud on our next episode!

Flandy

Just read The Drop. Haha Atelier Ayesha is missing, people are complaining in the comments and Ryan's all like "sorry, I didn't know because it's not on my list".

Hence continuing the proud tradition of Atelier Vita games getting as little pre-release fanfare as possible.

Maybe they're trying to generate some buzz by pretending it doesn't exist like with Totori :p

Only in Totoris case nobody knew it existed until the Tuesday it released

Saphirax

BTW the thing about Hotline Miami is that it's more like a puzzle game than an action game. Failing constantly and quickly is not you messing up the controls, that's just how it plays.

Yes but how...awful is it? For instance, Dark Cloud 2 has a very sane system where almost everything in the game drops the same like 5 or so items to upgrade weapons and normal enemies dropped stuff for most other crafting in abundance. In contrast there's Freedom Wars where you can spend 45 minutes struggling to kill a foe who has only a small chance to drop a single item, also you need 3 of that item and 5 of some other items that are similarly hard to get.

Transparency of what you need to get/use and how easy it is to get makes a big difference

It depends how you look at it. The good thing about Atelier games is that you can get all the materials from gathering. For the most part, crafting is easy. Personally, for me it only gets confusing when you need to craft the ultimate gear and weapons.

The trilogy that's been announced unfortunately doesn't have Rorona+, but the original one. For that reason alone, you're better off trying Rorona+ or Totori+.

I played Totori+ first (ignoring my botched attempt at platinuming Ayesha) and managed to platinum it with ease. The game is very lenient with the time management as well.

antibolo

Banned
I'd be down for a guest appearance on the podcast. I don't buy every new Vita game that comes out though, so I may be useless depending on the games being discussed.

SerTapTap

It's weird how Japanese games on Vita seem to come with no fanfare, indies always get at least a PS blog post. I wonder if that's part of Sony's self pub thing somehow and localizers don't get access, or if they just don't bother or what.

Sarcasm

For now it's only 3 of us. What we are gonna do is have certain episodes in which people from here come join us and talk about games. We also will have certain topics on which we ask for your opinion and we will read it on the next episode.

Our next topic is our most anticipated Vita titles for 2015. What we want is for people to use our form on the website:

Form page

And just tell us in few words which games you are looking forward to, and why. We will pick a bunch randomly, and read them out loud on our next episode!

Sent =D

I'd be down for a guest appearance on the podcast. I don't buy every new Vita game that comes out though, so I may be useless depending on the games being discussed.

Anyone will be able to join, we will post the topic ahead of time and get volunteers. If you feel you aren't comfortable with the topic, there's always the next episode!

Thank you, keep them coming guys! You want to go full in-depth, go for it, wanna keep it short and sweet, that works too.

wilflare

Form page

nice! i bought a Blue Yeti recently - would be nice to be able to try it out some day :D
we should really get baekshi on air to talk about SSD :p

Form page

Alright, I'm cruising through the list of upcoming Vita games from the GAF thread... I don't know. There are just so many games to look forward to! Should we limit it to like top five or ten?

nice! i bought a Blue Yeti recently - would be nice to be able to try it out some day :D
we should really get baekshi on air to talk about SSD :p

I'm sure that would actually be a great guest appearance. Maybe imouto too

Alright, I'm cruising through the list of upcoming Vita games from the GAF thread... I don't know. There are just so many games to look forward to! Should we limit it to like top five or ten?

Up to you, like I said, short or not we will read them all, you may even make us excited for a game that we haven't heard about yet aha.

Maid

Banned

I think it's pretty easy, especially when you understand the crafting mechanic. The good thing is that almost all (except some unique/ultimate items) can be crafted with "category" items instead of specific one like your usual crafting game. For instance, if it say the material needed is liquid, then you can pretty much use any kind of liquid you have, be it river water, pure water, honey, juice. The interesting thing is depend on the material you choose and how you use your skill, your item will have different status/attribute which could make you insane if you a completionist. Also, making good use of item will often break the game, as if you can mixed a powerful bomb at the beginning, you can pretty throw 3 of them into the first few chapter's bosses face and you're done. Not like you can do it in your first playthrough anyway, so don't worry about it too much.

Another thing the Dusk triology (Ayesha/Escha&Logy/Shallie) did right is consumable is actually not consumed. The consumable will have the max number of usage you can use for one trip out into dungeon, and when you go back to your home, its get replenished. You can raise the number of usage by properly mixing/using good materials. No more micromanagement your consumable which was kinda annoying in previous games. You can throw shit you want without worrying about saving it for later use.

I played Totori+ first (ignoring my botched attempt at platinuming Ayesha) and managed to platinum it with ease. The game is very lenient with the time management as well.

I actually got a bad end in Totori once, because of how relaxing the game is that I keep running around, gathering, crafting for 2 years straight without remembering a single thing about her 3 years goal. and when she reminds me of it, well, already too late, lol.

SerTapTap

I think it's pretty easy, especially when you understand the crafting mechanic. The good thing is that almost all (except some unique/ultimate items) can be crafted with "category" items instead of specific one like your usual crafting game. For instance, if it say the material needed is liquid, then you can pretty much use any kind of liquid you have, be it river water, pure water, honey, juice. The interesting thing is depend on the material you choose and how you use your skill, your item will have different status/attribute which could make you insane if you a completionist. Also, making good use of item will often break the game, as if you can mixed a powerful bomb at the beginning, you can pretty throw 3 of them into the first few chapter's bosses face and you're done. Not like you can do it in your first playthrough anyway, so don't worry about it too much.

Another thing the Dusk triology (Ayesha/Escha&Logy/Shallie) did right is consumable is actually not consumed. The consumable will have the max number of usage you can use for one trip out into dungeon, and when you go back to your home, its get replenished. You can raise the number of usage by properly mixing/using good materials. No more micromanagement your consumable which was kinda annoying in previous games. You can throw shit you want without worrying about saving it for later use.

These are the best things and way more games should do both of these.

maouvin

In case you don't know (I sure as hell didn't) there are 3 free Destiny of Spirits themes in the store, they're labeled as "avatars" because they're avatar/themes bundles.

I didn't check the avatars since I don't want to turn my ps3 on but the themes and the BMG (this one, literally, since they kept the fucking sound effects in) are pretty nice.

Which store? Saw nothing n the US webstore.
(And I'm assuming those are Vita themes, of course)

Maid

Banned
These are the best things and way more games should do both of these.
Yeah, that's why in this game the only thing I cared about is experimenting in crafting the best thing and just went nut throwing everything I have around, not "how many do I have to craft and should I use my best items for this fight?"

Those games play around with cutely atmosphere, though, and not many humor as NepReb or any kind of deep plot so you should know before going into the franchise. The exception would be Totori and Ayesha, where they have a serious goal. Other games are just "I want to be a great alchemist and I have 3 years working for that", and then you're done with the plot. Kinda like slice of life, I guess.

EU store, on Vita, yes.
Maybe try searching "avatar" and then tick "PSVita" and "Free". That's the only way I can find them.

Can't find it in the US store. In both Avatar and Theme category.

Also, can anyone tell me wtf is this?
E5v7UkR.png

maouvin

EU store, on Vita, yes.
Maybe try searching "avatar" and then tick "PSVita" and "Free". That's the only way I can find them.

Found them on the UK store (didn't help that they don't have "Destiny of Spirits" on their name), but they definitely aren't on the US one yet. Shame.

Yeah, that's why in this game the only thing I cared about is experimenting in crafting the best thing and just went nut throwing everything I have around, not "how many do I have to craft and should I use my best items for this fight?"

Those games play around with cutely atmosphere, though, and not many humor as NepReb or any kind of deep plot so you should know before going into the franchise. The exception would be Totori and Ayesha, where they have a serious goal. Other games are just "I want to be a great alchemist and I have 3 years working for that", and then you're done with the plot. Kinda like slice of life, I guess.

Can't find it in the US store. In both Avatar and Theme category.

Also, can anyone tell me wtf is this?
E5v7UkR.png
looooooooooooooool

RK128

Form page

Message Sent :D! Looking forward to the next episode :).

Autofokus

Xblaze. And the PSP games, as well (Hakuoki, Sweet Fuse, Disgaea Infinite).

Thanks.
Couldn't find Xblaze, I assume it's not available in europe? A friend of mine recommended me Corpse Party, found 2 games on PSN - which one should I get (CP & CP: Book of Shadows)?

Tapejara

PvKbIno.jpg

In Space We Brawl - PS4

This basically is a multiplayer twin stick shooter which sounds fun but turns out isn't fun at all. I waited until I could try local multiplayer because I thought maybe that is where the fun is located at but after playing a couple a games my friend looked at me and just said "this sucks". Yeah the single player challenges are boring frustrations that nobody should attempt. No online play. Nothing here is worth your time. This will be on sale for $1 during a PSN sale and you will be tempted but don't waste your time and money.

3/10

Near TOPR: Get Super Mega Baseball

Hm, now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't picked up ISWB during the last sale.

Thanks.
Couldn't find Xblaze, I assume it's not available in europe? A friend of mine recommended me Corpse Party, found 2 games on PSN - which one should I get (CP & CP: Book of Shadows)?

Corpse Party is the first game. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is the sequel. The first one is more like an RPGMaker game whereas the second is more of a visual novel (at least this is what GAF has told me).

Shizuka

Thanks.

Corpse Party is the first, Corpse Party Book of Shadows is the second.

Top Bottom