• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Prelude.

Haven't played that yet but i can only imagine the backlash that thread is going to have
I don't even feel like replying. Vita threads will probably turn into pure unfiltered portbegging/hate in the near future since I'm pretty sure most vita owners are sick of dealing with that stuff and would rather just stay away.

Edit: I lied. I replied.

Maid

Banned
Haven't played that yet but i can only imagine the backlash that thread is going to have

If GAF's history is anything to remember, that thread won't have much backlash because it's a Vita. Don't go there if you don't want to be banned.

Chuy

I don't even feel like replying. Vita threads will probably turn into pure unfiltered portbegging/hate in the near future since I'm pretty sure most vita owners are sick of dealing with that stuff and would rather just stay away.

If GAF's history is anything to remember, that thread won't have much backlash because it's a Vita. Don't go there if you don't want to be banned.
Yeah i know how these things usually go here unfortunately. Been lurking before i joined for a while and seen how bad they can go.

Omerta

Will it generally take 30 minutes of f'in around or do you have a concise step by step that you learned that you can share

I've got it down to about five minutes now with some practise!

Basically, one you've got your dummy account set up (needs to be a known account on your ps4 too), it's pretty easy.

- turn off your vita and take out your memory card.
- turn it back on, got to settings, select format and restore this system... Make sure you select "yes" everytime - basically letting the vita know that you're deactiviting your account from the vita.
- let it do its thing, watch that video again!
- set the vita up for your dummy account
- turn your ps4 on and switch user to your dummy account - hold the ps button on the ds4
- go to settings, remote play, connect device and connect your dummy account vita with your dummy account ps4.
- remote play activates.
- hold the ps button on your ds4 and switch user to your main, trophy-getting account.
- you're good... Remote play on your vita with a ds4!

I made a cradle to stand the vita on and I absolutely love this feature.

When you want to set your vita up again...

- go to settings, format, restore system, deactivate (just like before)...
- vita loads up, video again!
- enter your normal details as your ps user info
- set the vita up (wifi etc)
- pop your memory card back in - vita will restart.
- all your bubbles should still be there but they won't be organised and you'll have lost your backgrounds... This annoyed me at first but now I'm using themes so I just download the crystal theme, move the bubbles to whatever page I want and I'm set.

It sounds like a lot but now I've run through the process a couple of times, I've got a routine. I'm not too technical a person and I find it easy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Soul Sacrifice is a game born out of port begging, so it makes sense in a way.

All Vita games can and should be considered for PS4 considering how cheap the porting is and the relative success of the two systems...at least in the west.

If PS4 was doing better in Japan you'd see a hell of a lot more of them. Sony is early on the bandwagon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I want to get Brandish but it has no trophies.

huehuehue

kidding aside, i don't think it's my genre... i guess the closest are azure dreams and chocobo dungeon 2... whichever is better.

Soul Sacrifice is a game born out of port begging, so it makes sense in a way.

All Vita games can and should be considered for PS4 considering how cheap the porting is and the relative success of the two systems...at least in the west.

If PS4 was doing better in Japan you'd see a hell of a lot more of them. Sony is early on the bandwagon.

Issue is there's no promise the userbase for the vita library is actually on the PS4. It's on the vita and ps3 in japan, and in the west it's unproven.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Issue is there's no promise the userbase for the vita library is actually on the PS4. It's on the vita and ps3 in japan, and in the west it's unproven.

Here in Japan SSD and GE2 were the 2 games that Sony was pushing seriously hard to go with the PSV TV. GE2 first initially then SSD later and they did a lot of events with them showing off the game using the PSV TV letting people play with a controller instead of actual vita demo units.

So with that in mind its not like the actual control scheme for SSD + controller does not exist and such, just that at the same time too dont think Sony will want to throw more money at it on top of isnt Inafune busy with that Mighty megamanwhatever kickstarter project?

If anything with them doing a 2nd game would imagine that it might go the same route as God Eater 2 Rage Burst, though at the same time thats more of a Bandai Namco thing with the cross platform releases which they seem to be doing not too bad on. The most recent Gundam Breaker 2 is doing quite well for both the PS3 / PSV releases and is close to being 50/50 I think last time I looked.

But truthfully I dont watch SCEJ all that much so am not too sure what their general MO is on things.

Found the info
09./09. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.18} (¥7.171) - 18.104 / 101.768 (-32%)
12./10. [PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.18} (¥8.208) - 15.464 / 104.410 (-31%)

Though at the same time too Gundam has a shitton of more fans than The Soul Sacrifice series does. On top of the current hype built from Gundam Build Fighters Try too, so not similar numbers could really be expected from SS in general. The huge problem too is the artwork / shitty player character models / outfits makes for a very specific group of fans. Which is another issue with the title itself.

The next 2 "experiments" by BanNam will be
God Eater 2 Rage Burst - PS4 / PSV (2-19-2015)
Sword Art Online: Lost Song - PS3 / PSV (3-26-2015)

Am sure a lot of companies who are interested in the "hunting" genre will most def be watching the kind of numbers that GE2:RB will pull on the PS4 / PSV to see what kind of spread exists for the genre.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Holding out for the basket of indies coming this year. So many goodies.
Last year was pretty dadgum good. It will be very interesting to watch over the next few years to see if any of that indie investment pays long-term dividends for Sony.

Parakeetman

...I completely forgot about Toukiden.

At least SS tried to get that Capcom rub with Inafking.

Toukiden is actually more MH like than SS. I think that was part of the issue with the title too in general that it was a bit too similar so folks who were not interested glazed over it. Though those that did pick it up enjoyed it for what it was.

Kiwami was a pretty good expansion with the new weapons, esp the rifle that I can see players breaking the game with in co-op lol.

So think those new players who will be getting into Kiwami when it comes out in the West should be in for a good time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maybe the wrong thread but anyone got any recommendations for a PS Vita 2000 case? My priority is a hard/protective case that can withstand impact. Don't really need compartments for games or whatever

Parakeetman

Maybe the wrong thread but anyone got any recommendations for a PS Vita 2000 case? My priority is a hard/protective case that can withstand impact. Don't really need compartments for games or whatever

Like how much of an impact?

http://stores.horiusa.com/hard-pouch-for-playstation-vita-2000-series/

Hori stuff is usually good, but not sure if it will cover what you need in terms of impact rating.

Wario for what its worth literally all of my portable system cases have been Hori.

SerTapTap

You guys should check out Sir Tap Tap's latest Axiom Verge preview stuff.

All the JP stuff in here, someone needs to keep the non-JP fires burning. Sheesh. ;)

The non-JP stuff all has it's own thread(s)! I'd talk more about indie stuff but there often isn't much to talk about until it's done.

That said, Axiom Verge is amazing (from what I've seen) and can't wait for it to be finished.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Hori stuff is usually good, but not sure if it will cover what you need in terms of impact rating.

Wario for what its worth literally all of my portable system cases have been Hori.

Just mainly looking for something that could survive an accidental drop. I wanted to get the Amazon case when it was on a lighting deal a while ago but the reviews said it's tight to fit the 2000 model in it

I had the Logitech case for PSP and that thing could take any hit

Takao

Banned
Koei Tecmo has said that Toukiden only exists because Monster Hunter went to Nintendo handhelds, lol.

The producer for Toukiden has said some things that seem to indicate that it's getting a console version.

Parakeetman

Just mainly looking for something that could survive an accidental drop. I wanted to get the Amazon case when it was on a lighting deal a while ago but the reviews said it's tight to fit the 2000 model in it

I had the Logitech case for PSP and that thing could take any hit

I could recommend hori stuff then since its pretty well built and does not have that jank some other makers have with things being too tight around the wrong places so it puts stress on shoulder buttons for example or leaves an imprint on the screen itself.

Didnt see that nerf makes actual cases for the 2k outside of that weird nerf armor but a buddy of mine deployed in Iraq one guy he knew had a DS in a nerf case that got fucked up pretty good and the thing actually protected it when everyone thought it was toast.

Ive tried out other cases for things too but hori is what everything sits in currently just due to they have consistent builds / quality.

I found something made by elcom here in Japan but problem being is its sold out / out of manufacturing. What it was is basically foam padding inside of a pouch looking case that protects the vita from shock if dropped. Never seen this thing before, but looks like it would work. Too bad bout the stock though D:

Koei Tecmo has said that Toukiden only exists because Monster Hunter went to Nintendo handhelds, lol.

The producer for Toukiden has said some things that seem to indicate that it's getting a console version.

That would be pretty great then, considering they have a lot of experience as is with working with consoles. The team behind the development so optimizing the graphics for consoles would hardly be an issue for them.

Though my own personal feelings on whats holding toukiden back is how the characters look, as its far too similar to the musou / warriors series which takes away from its own unique identity.

Shame too considering the 2d artwork that they have is fantastic.

If they improve on the existing features / content am sure they would have something profitable. even more so if it has online play from the get go for a console version.

Shizuka

I wonder what's going to be Grim Fandango's price. Same thing for Citizens of Earth. Too many games for this month, I'll most likely have to skip all of them for the time being.

I wonder what's going to be Grim Fandango's price. Same thing for Citizens of Earth. Too many games for this month, I'll most likely have to skip all of them for the time being.

Let's not even mention February, or worse, March. If you own multiple platforms these 2 months will literally eat away at your wallet

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I could recommend hori stuff then since its pretty well built and does not have that jank some other makers have with things being too tight around the wrong places so it puts stress on shoulder buttons for example or leaves an imprint on the screen itself.

Didnt see that nerf makes actual cases for the 2k outside of that weird nerf armor but a buddy of mine deployed in Iraq one guy he knew had a DS in a nerf case that got fucked up pretty good and the thing actually protected it when everyone thought it was toast.

Ive tried out other cases for things too but hori is what everything sits in currently just due to they have consistent builds / quality.

I found something made by elcom here in Japan but problem being is its sold out / out of manufacturing. What it was is basically foam padding inside of a pouch looking case that protects the vita from shock if dropped. Never seen this thing before, but looks like it would work. Too bad bout the stock though D:

The elcom case sounds like something that I'm looking for, but a shame about it being out of production. I'll defintely check out the hori case, thanks!

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm expecting $19.99/$17.99 (normal/PS+). We'll see.

What did the other LucasArts stuff launch at?

Producer

I have this case. Its pretty good and sturdy, but not really sure how much it would protect a big fall. I think it would be fine though for general normal accidental falls, but like if you're swinging your vita around or throwing it like a football or something then yeah i dunno lol

and i agree that Hori makes good products, i also have their silicone case for the Vita and its pretty good. Between the silicone case and this cover, i feel pretty safe in case of a drop lol.

I expect Grim will be similar pricing to the Oddworld remake. I can't see them selling it for less than that considering how hyped people are for it.

Maid

Banned

I think it will be around $20, considering it's a remastered of the old game.

At least March with Bloodborne will be the month that I feel like my PS4 purchase wasn't a waste. When will Tomorrow's Children come out again?

Xenoflare

Though my own personal feelings on whats holding toukiden back is how the characters look, as its far too similar to the musou / warriors series which takes away from its own unique identity.

Shame too considering the 2d artwork that they have is fantastic.

If they improve on the existing features / content am sure they would have something profitable. even more so if it has online play from the get go for a console version.

I actually liked the striking (blatant) similarity in terms of character design in Toukiden and the Warriors games, since Warriors is my guilty pleasure and Koei in general do a good job mixing modern designs with ancient designs without being too obnoxious, of course that is highly subjective.

Maid

Banned
I actually liked the striking (blatant) similarity in terms of character design in Toukiden and the Warriors games, since Warriors is my guilty pleasure and Koei in general do a good job mixing modern designs with ancient designs without being too obnoxious, of course that is highly subjective.

I don't think he meant the character design, since the artwork looks really fantastic. It's the 3D model that just couldn't reach to beauty of the 2D arts.

Call me silly, but I really like collecting all those "heroes cards" because they are nice to look at, more so than hunting monster for better weapon/equipment.

Parakeetman

No the problem is though it takes away from the games identity. Both Samurai / Dynasty Warriors have their own identity with how the character models have evolved. With a new IP you do not want the designs of a previous title getting in the way of said designs for the characters.

Its why folks in general remember God Eater and Freedom Wars more due to the character designs being unique with how they look.

Where as Toukiden you could dump them into a musou / warriors game and no one would know the difference.

It really needs a slight bit of tweaking to stand apart from the 2 larger franchises.

Its not an issue with Koei being good with mixing settings, its an issue with them using the exact same designs as another game, when that should not be the case since its a new IP.

On the flip side in their defense, am sure they were trying to aim to lure in fans from the musou / warriors series by keeping the character designs similar also. But from a creative perspective and marketing one too feel thats a mistake for reasons explained above. As once again its way too similar.

Ive been fan of Koei in general for a long time though at the same time they need to break some of the molds that they have been constantly setting themselves in. Which is why Toukiden was something nice to see and the fact they did a decent job with it gameplay wise. But was let down to see the characters were cookie cut from the usual 3d work they do with their mainline "bread making" series.

I don't think he meant the character design, since the artwork looks really fantastic. It's the 3D model that just couldn't reach to beauty of the 2D arts.

Call me silly, but I really like collecting all those "heroes cards" because they are nice to look at, more so than hunting monster for better weapon/equipment.

No that too, but the 3d models are the main issue also as they lack their own uniqueness about them. And as mentioned if you dropped those characters into a musou game no one would know the difference. Due to the designs being far too similar.

Xenoflare

Its not an issue with Koei being good with mixing settings, its an issue with them using the exact same designs as another game, when that should not be the case since its a new IP.

On the flip side in their defense, am sure they were trying to aim to lure in fans from the musou / warriors series by keeping the character designs similar also. But from a creative perspective and marketing one too feel thats a mistake for reasons explained above. As once again its way too similar.

Ive been fan of Koei in general for a long time though at the same time they need to break some of the molds that they have been constantly setting themselves in. Which is why Toukiden was something nice to see and the fact they did a decent job with it gameplay wise. But was let down to see the characters were cookie cut from the usual 3d work they do with their mainline "bread making" series.

No that too, but the 3d models are the main issue also as they lack their own uniqueness about them. And as mentioned if you dropped those characters into a musou game no one would know the difference. Due to the designs being far too similar.

I see, well, can't argue with that lol.

Although Koei in general is very reluctant to break the mold, I mean having the same thing over and over is kind of the impression it lefts to me in general, but I guess some change must take place to shake this up.

Parakeetman

Although Koei in general is very reluctant to break the mold, I mean having the same thing over and over is kind of the impression it lefts to me in general, but I guess some change must take place to shake this up.

While its great they keep increasing the enemy count, the AI and general map designs still are quite lacking in their mainline series being musou.

Im looking forward to seeing how they "fixed" bladestorm with the upcoming release. As I enjoyed the first title, but had a lot of design issues which prevented it from becoming a classic. Was a great title though regardless and am very happy to see them revisiting it.

Even capcom with its "rip-off" series as some called it Basara did a better job with map design as their games progressed where Koei in general has not. Sure Basara is more "fantasy" but that still does not take away from the fact their maps in the title generally looked better and were more interesting.

Its odd too considering the other non dynasty / samurai warriors games had decent map designs which improved. And am looking forward to seeing how they do with Dragon Quest Heroes.

Maid

Banned

They did change a bit when Basara first made its debut. I don't remember the old Warriors were over-the-top as some of the current ones until Basara competed with them in the spot of Musou genre. Then again, I always feel like Basara didn't get the budget it deserved, since the games too often looks like it was on a tight budget even with its popularity. Probably because there are many fans of the series don't bother playing the games, though.

Top Bottom