• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

Flandy

What's a Vita?

B1Z0KbACAAAW1_H.jpg:large

Flandy

Hope that's not your first year of PS+, tons of goodies for PS4 have come and gone

You really think that I'd hang out in this thread and not have a PS+ subscription? Got the PS4 for $300 off my brother and the sub for $25. I still have a sub from last years black friday that I got for $30 so I'm good for the next 2 years on PS+

I find myself considering either a Vita or a PStv to get more value out of my PS+ and also to play Freedom Wars. Can Vita do any kind of TV out? Can I connect a DS4 to it? I figure I might as well go with the Vita because of the whole portable deal, but PStv is much cheaper... Any advice?

I find myself considering either a Vita or a PStv to get more value out of my PS+ and also to play Freedom Wars. Can Vita do any kind of TV out? Can I connect a DS4 to it? I figure I might as well go with the Vita because of the whole portable deal, but PStv is much cheaper... Any advice?

the vita cannot hook up to a TV. I think maybe it can do a DS4 if you're using remoteplay but I think I may just be remembering people asking for it, rather than it being implemented. If you're looking for something to play the various games on the system and you're not really super invested into the system itself, I think the PStv is probably a better option mostly due to the price.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Vita plays more games, but doesnt connect to the tv nor can you use a controller. You have to decide which trsdeoff is worth it.

if you dont need the portability, i'd say a vita tv is enough.

antibolo

Banned
Use google's DNS servers, make sure your router is properly placed for a good signal (or it's wired) and pray to the PlayStation Server Gods.

People keep saying that but it doesn't make sense. Changing DNS servers cannot magically make a download faster apart from the initial connection.

People keep saying that but it doesn't make sense. Changing DNS servers cannot magically make a download faster apart from the initial connection.

Your DNS server indirectly determines the route that the information takes from the sender to the receiver - the more jumps and the further it has to go, the slower it gets. Using Google's DNS server gives you the shortest amount of jumps since it owns and routes a lot of the internet's infrastructure - hence a quicker speed and a lower ping.

That's the short and sweet of it, but I can get more technical.

the vita cannot hook up to a TV. I think maybe it can do a DS4 if you're using remoteplay but I think I may just be remembering people asking for it, rather than it being implemented. If you're looking for something to play the various games on the system and you're not really super invested into the system itself, I think the PStv is probably a better option mostly due to the price.

Vita plays more games, but doesnt connect to the tv nor can you use a controller. You have to decide which trsdeoff is worth it.

if you dont need the portability, i'd say a vita tv is enough.
Thanks guys. So what's the memory situation like on PStv. Sdcards? Expensive proprietary cards?

antibolo

Banned
Your DNS server indirectly determines the route that the information takes from the sender to the receiver - the more jumps and the further it has to go, the slower it gets. Using Google's DNS server gives you the shortest amount of jumps since it owns and routes a lot of the internet's infrastructure - hence a quicker speed and a lower ping.

No, that's not how it works. DNS servers are used to resolve hostnames (ie. find the IP address for a given DNS name). A better DNS server will resolve hostnames faster, but after that step is done there is no impact on the connection afterwards.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Thanks guys. So what's the memory situation like on PStv. Sdcards? Expensive proprietary cards?

Yes, proprietary cards.16 gb is probably enough and is relatively affordable. Those aren't too expensive and many of the larger games you can just buy physical copies. Freedom wars is only 1.3 or 1.5 gigs. Ignore some of the gaffers here. They are more hardcore than most.

Can't wait for Never Alone. I thought it was supposed to come out on the 4th and not the 18th, though. That's kind of a pisser. It'll have to wait until after Dragon Age.

Drifters

Incorrect. DNS has nothing to do with the route you take to the internet, it is simply a reachability of said route that allows for domain names to be looked up. Using Googles, Cox, Charter or Verizons DNS doesn't shorten your hop path in reaching external servers such as PSN or Xbox live; peering routes do.

If you want to test that theory, run a trace route from a computer on your network and follow how it routes. Note that a route to Google may route differently than to Sony network due to peer preference on BGP routes.

Anyways, not trying to be a dick about it but DNS has no bearing on download speeds.

killatopak

Gold Member
Hmm i am able to transfer my save data from PS4 to a USB drive but i get an error when i want to transfer from USB to PS4. Halp?

Did some google search maybe this could help?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/12/25/how-to-backup-and-transfer-ps4-game-saves-using-a-usb-drive/

Personally, I'd reformat the USB drive then try again.

If you have other problems with the PS4 and should an error code pop-up,The official site has tutorials on what to do.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5111/~/ps4%3A-error-codes

Takao

Banned
I really wouldn't recommend buying a PSTV. App support is currently non-existent, Vita game support is all over the place, and one has to question SCE's commitment to it.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a PSTV. App support is currently non-existent, Vita game support is all over the place, and one has to question SCE's commitment to it.

If it at least had some more video apps I'd strongly consider getting a PSTV to replace my previous media hub. Don't really have a strong desire to play my Vita games on a TV, especially since I'm still relatively new to my Vita.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It depends. I couldnt care less about app support. I have half a dozen devices connected to the TV with app support already. riskVSreward also clearly has another console already, so why really does he need to care about that?

If he just wants to play some vita and PSP games, it is a really cheap option. you can get one with a memory card plus controller for $90 dollars. Goddamn, I never really wanted a PSTV anyway, but it really is damn cheap.

Anyway, if he is interested in the PSTV, he may be interested to check this out:

http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-tv-value-pack-paOS-13-49-en-70-77lv.html

antibolo

Banned
Even if the PSTV had decent video app support it's still crippled to the Vita native resolution and stereo sound, so I still wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. If you want a cheap device for Netflix and such there are similarly priced solutions out there that can do 1080p and (probably) full 5.1 audio.

So earlier tonight, I decided to look at whatever new Avatars were put up on PSN. This is the first time I've looked since switching to PS4. I couldn't seem to find any. They've always been under EXTRAS when I looked on the PS3 version of PSN, so what's the deal?

Tizoc

So earlier tonight, I decided to look at whatever new Avatars were put up on PSN. This is the first time I've looked since switching to PS4. I couldn't seem to find any. They've always been under EXTRAS when I looked on the PS3 version of PSN, so what's the deal?

Maybe its best to just look through the Webstore.

VLiberty

PS3 DD games are usually split in two: the demo(which is the full game, but locked) and a 6KB license file which unlocks the full game.

For the other question, all the Vita games are labeled as "PS3 - Vita" because you can download them on both systems

Withnail

Incorrect. DNS has nothing to do with the route you take to the internet, it is simply a reachability of said route that allows for domain names to be looked up. Using Googles, Cox, Charter or Verizons DNS doesn't shorten your hop path in reaching external servers such as PSN or Xbox live; peering routes do.

If you want to test that theory, run a trace route from a computer on your network and follow how it routes. Note that a route to Google may route differently than to Sony network due to peer preference on BGP routes.

Anyways, not trying to be a dick about it but DNS has no bearing on download speeds.

You would be correct if PS Store was hosted on a single server but it isn't, it's on a Content Delivery Network (CDN) and actually choice of DNS server can have a bearing on download speeds from CDNs. Google even discusses the issue here. Basically the DNS server will connect you to its nearest CDN server. If you are using a DNS server in another country this can mean you end up with a CDN connection that is not the best for your location. In most cases the best DNS choice will be the one provided by your ISP.

I'm currently playing through Unfinished Swan again - this time on the Vita. I've forgotten how wonderfully relaxing the game is. Its also pretty beautiful on the Vita. I'm taking my time and trying to explore everywhere. I don't want to rush it, but I'm hoping I can have it 100%ed by the end of the week as I'm really looking forward to playing Binding of Isaac for the first time.

Running into this issue:

- Bought $50 prepaid card

- Enter code on webstore

- Card recognized, asking me to confirm, click confirm

- Get "Internal Error"

Any clue what the problem is?

Tizoc

Running into this issue:

- Bought $50 prepaid card

- Enter code on webstore

- Card recognized, asking me to confirm, click confirm

- Get "Internal Error"

Any clue what the problem is?
You should be using this to redeem cash codes
SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com

You should be using this to redeem cash codes
SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com

I did, I enter the code, it confirms it's for $50, then when I hit confirm:

EDIT: I contacted the vendor who confirmed the codes (bought two of them) are valid. Really seems to be an issue on Sony's end, but I wanted to check here and see if people have had similar experiences before.

Top Bottom