• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

SerTapTap

2nd I heard, and teflontactics said something about getting e-mails reporting 64gb dying recently.
Bad batch, it seems.

Seems like they fixed it - now the "neither big nor particularly small" description refers to the 73cm girl.

Oh, I see. Interesting, Versus' clothing didn't really handle the (two) flat characters very well (textures on the chest end up hilariously shrunk except on their original outfits), wonder if they'll fix that in Estival.

...is the old lady playable? I could do with that

SerTapTap

Don't you guys use cloud saves? I'd go nuts without them. Losing one console and only having a month old backup once was bad enough (and several PC moves before Steam's cloud saves)

Sarcasm

Don't you guys use cloud saves? I'd go nuts without them. Losing one console and only having a month old backup once was bad enough (and several PC moves before Steam's cloud saves)

I honestly don't know what I am doing. I got PS+ til Jan 30th or something..on my vita I just been playing binding..plant o play something else. I have no idea on how to backup manually so I hit the + symbol on that like start menu page thing and hit upload.

Dunno what else to do...like do I hit sync in-game? I'd think that would actually put me back in-game.

SerTapTap

I honestly don't know what I am doing. I got PS+ til Jan 30th or something..on my vita I just been playing binding..plant o play something else. I have no idea on how to backup manually so I hit the + symbol on that like start menu page thing and hit upload.

Dunno what else to do...like do I hit sync in-game? I'd think that would actually put me back in-game.

Cross save != Cloud Save. To do cloud saves, you just need to tap the PS+ icon and check the "automatically upload" box. Note it only allows this on one Vita per game at a time, so if you use a PSTV/two Vitas keep that in mind. Also I think you can set auto-upload en-mass via content manager or something.

On PS4 it's automatic, on PS3 it asks you the first time if you want to auto-backup. The Vita has the worst method of Cloud Save unfortunately as you have to manually turn it on for each game. And also if you delete and reinstall you have to enable it again. Urg. But you can set it for all games at once, a feature the PS3 sorely needs.

Cross save is per game and is up to the developer. It could be automatic, manual, it could prompt you at the main menu. IMO it should be automatic 90% of the time but almost never is. In Isaac you need to hit Sync and it asks if you want to download or upload (Isaac was one of the worst implementations of cross save frankly, I've never seen cross save sync the older/less complete save instead, but BOI used to, that's why it's manual now.)

Sarcasm

I only have a PS3 & Vita..I wouldn't know what cross save is. I just know that when I hit the + symbol some upload thing was already selected and I hit upload lol....

Also how do you check for updates for a game?

maouvin

...is the old lady playable? I could do with that

I heard about an younger version of her being playable.
But since the description says that her old self can best Hanzo, why not both forms aye?

Don't you guys use cloud saves? I'd go nuts without them.

Same. I first signed to PS+ just because of the cloud saving. I now keep it for some more reasons, of course, but cloud saving is always king.

Xenoflare

Seems like Amazon US is selling standalone black vita slim for $200 starting December 12th. On mobile now so can't really link it.

antibolo

Banned
Also how do you check for updates for a game?

You can hit the "refresh" icon in an app's LiveArea to manually check for updates. But the system already does it periodically unless you disabled that option. Also if you download an app from PSN it will automatically pull an update if there's any.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I can't find it, but there isn't a reason for people to get it with a better bundle out for the same price.
Yep, if you're in the US you can actually even import a colored slim for cheaper than that due to the dollar strengthening and yen tanking right now (it's only going to tank more). Nippon Yasan has standalone 2000s for $178. Since you don't need to pay tax it'll probably still be cheaper after shipping.

SerTapTap

RE the new Vita 2000, I guess if I want one I should just buy the damn Borderlands bundle if I can? Is it easy to sell the Borderlands voucher/memory card? I already have spare 8GB and 4GB (lol) cards as it is that I need to be rid of.

Note sure I care about the colored ones, it might be a nice change of pace but most of my tech is black anyway, and I always loved dat piano black PSP look.

iosefe

RE the new Vita 2000, I guess if I want one I should just buy the damn Borderlands bundle if I can? Is it easy to sell the Borderlands voucher/memory card? I already have spare 8GB and 4GB (lol) cards as it is that I need to be rid of.

maybe they're introducing the standalone bundle to encourage people getting the BL bundle

Xenoflare

maybe they're introducing the standalone bundle to encourage people getting the BL bundle

That's..... Very unlikely, I mean I'm sure that people who's on the fence might consider getting a bundle since it's a sign of it retiring soon but I highly doubt that Sony's initiative of the standalone device is to actually get more sales or the bundle. It's just natural to get them over bare bone devices since it costs the same.

iosefe

That's..... Very unlikely, I mean I'm sure that people who's on the fence might consider getting a bundle since it's a sign of it retiring soon but I highly doubt that Sony's initiative of the standalone device is to actually get more sales or the bundle. It's just natural to get them over bare bone devices since it costs the same.

it is probably a far-fetched notion. they did say a standalone was coming eventually. it just seems likely that it may give the BL bundle more sales when they realise it comes with bonuses

ZeroAKA

I'd rather import a Japanese Vita.

it is probably a far-fetched notion. they did say a standalone was coming eventually. it just seems likely that it may give the BL bundle more sales when they realise it comes with bonuses
I haven't seen the BL2 bundle in any store in months. It might be sold out.

SerTapTap

I'm surprised they're selling Vitas without memory cards at all, though (1GB internal thingy aside). They should probably discontinue 4 and 8GB sticks for good, 16GB is a bare minimum if you're going to have PS+ or buy anything digital ever.

Xenoflare

I'd rather import a Japanese Vita.

I haven't seen the BL2 bundle in any store in months. It might be sold out.

Slim Vita started popping up near my local stores, there wasn't any for the entire summer. OLED ones are completely gone from their systems.

Xenoflare

I'm surprised they're selling Vitas without memory cards at all, though (1GB internal thingy aside). They should probably discontinue 4 and 8GB sticks for good, 16GB is a bare minimum if you're going to have PS+ or buy anything digital ever.

Sure, but you need the smaller ones for "causal buyers" which I don't think they exist, barely.

4GB really needs to be abolished though, that's for sure.

v1perz53

Honestly, the pricing on bundles and standalones for Sony products (especially on amazon) has always been wacky. Like right now on amazon, you can buy a 12 GB PS3 standalone for $200, or a 12 GB + Disney Infinity starter pack bundle for... $199. Similarly, the 500 GB + Lego Batman + Sly Collection PS3 is selling for $250 while the straight up 500 GB standalone PS3 is $300.

I think the major weird thing with the BL2 Vita bundle vs standalone is not the price being the same, but that the bundle came out first and the price is still the same.

Xenoflare

Honestly, the pricing on bundles and standalones for Sony products (especially on amazon) has always been wacky. Like right now on amazon, you can buy a 12 GB PS3 standalone for $200, or a 12 GB + Disney Infinity starter pack bundle for... $199. Similarly, the 500 GB + Lego Batman + Sly Collection PS3 is selling for $250 while the straight up 500 GB standalone PS3 is $300.

I think the major weird thing with the BL2 Vita bundle vs standalone is not the price being the same, but that the bundle came out first and the price is still the same.

Phat Vita was at that price too, it's really not that weird.

Phii

Banned
So I noticed yesterday Astonishia Story was available on Vita PSN (Europe), I quite enjoyed Crimson Gem Saga on PSP so I decided to give its predecessor a go.

everything was fine with this "very traditional" JRPG until some guy appeared who talks about software piracy accused me for "playing on an illegal copy", thereby I wasn't qualified to play this game. As the scene unfolds, the protagonist decides to fire this guy, mentioning some other guy named "Mr.SONNARi" takes the actions against illegal users. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, whether it was fourth wall break or something plot related.

Later on, the protagonist states a bug has occurred so I can't proceed the story. A "Warez Fairy" shows up and asks me if I believe the "place of warez" exists. I answered him yes I do, considering that's the answer he indicated me at "luck is out for those who don't believe". I get some items that's supposed to have a legendary status and Mr.SONNARi pops up, states I've "been using warez" and punishes me by taking away 70% of my HP...
The context was waay out of place. I didn't really know what to think of the game. So from here I decided to spoil the story, how much depended of which direction this game was headed.

So I read this review (plot related is tagged).
"Throughout the game, there are a few more scenes like these, with edited dialogue.
I was hoping that Astonishia Story would turn out to be some sort of mind-blowing critique of the game industry and interpretations of "Intellectual Property," but alas, it was just a witty aside to an otherwise boring game."

"The plot turns out to be about an ancient war of the gods, and the possibility of resurrecting a very angry god who intends to purify the world. To do so, the villain requires five relics, thus you and your party go on a fetch quest to try and grab the relics before she does. Of course you fail, and it all comes down to a showdown at the top of a pyramid-like structure."

I have never heard of a game that straight up accusing their costumers for things they've never done. I wanna swear but I guess I'm just disappointed because these scenes triggered some very high expectations, plot-wise.

No, I don't have PS+ (should be free like Steam and cloud saving eh, eh?), but I try to do some semi-regular game back ups to my laptop anyway. Might do one today.

I just would really hate to not have my 64GB card after paying for it and having to get another one.

Cha

*snip* I'm just disappointed because these scenes triggered some very high expectations, plot-wise.

After reading the first few lines of your post, the game sounded rather interesting. I love 4th wall breaks. A pity that it doesn't deliver.

Speaking of 4th wall breaks - since it doesn't seem Like Zero Escape3 will be happening anytime soon (or at all), does anyone know if there any other (good) Vita/Vita compatible games that have notable 4th wall breaks and mindf**ks like VLR/999?

Can only think of Tearaway and a few instances in Danganronpa.

Edit:
Yikes, nothing much confirmed for western release so far.

SerTapTap

t
No, I don't have PS+ (should be free like Steam and cloud saving eh, eh?), but I try to do some semi-regular game back ups to my laptop anyway. Might do one today.

I just would really hate to not have my 64GB card after paying for it and having to get another one.

PS+ is worth it for games alone. I'd be annoyed if cross saves/online multi were the only things behind paywall, but as a service I have no problems paying for it.

I back up to PC whenever I add (or delete) a game just to be sure I have it on PC in case I ever want to play it and can't get it from PSN for some reason. But it's too annoying to just keep highly regular save data backups.

After reading the first few lines of your post, the game sounded rather interesting. I love 4th wall breaks. A pity that it doesn't deliver.

Speaking of 4th wall breaks - since it doesn't seem Like Zero Escape3 will be happening anytime soon (or at all), does anyone know if there any other (good) Vita/Vita compatible games that have notable 4th wall breaks and mindf**ks like VLR/999?

There's a single but very significant one in Murasaki Baby. Can't immediately think of others (other than tearaway, already mentioned). Neptunia Rebirth does some but purely for the purpose of meta/game humor.

Oh, Home has interesting stuff...not sure I'd call it Fourth Wall or not, but at the end the player makes a decision more or less based on what they saw, not a predefined story thing.

Shizuka

Edit:

Yikes, nothing much confirmed for western release so far.

Corpse Party?

v1perz53

Personally, I would rather pay for a service that works universally and that I have full control over and understand as opposed to have a service for free that is random and wonky. I have a bunch of games that don't support steam cloud save, and on multiple occasions older saves have overwritten newer ones on steam because of being offline/online in random ways. I hate steam cloud saving.

That said, on PC you have a thousand ways to back up your saves to any number of things automatically, so you don't have to use steam's crappy cloud saves if you don't want to. But that's PC gaming for you, you always have more control but things are always less standardized and are generally a little harder to understand.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
guys, I need help in understanding what's happening to my PS+ sub.

I went to download the PS4 games back in November 7th iirc, so I grabbed Isaac (+ Vita version), Escape Plan and SW Dig.

Now it's been a couple of days since I've been trying to cue/DL the other PS3/Vita games but even tho my sub is still active, even have the Plus icon next to my ID, those games are marked as PS+ exclusives and the full price next to that, where there should be written FREE instead.

PS4 is set as primary.
I've haven't tried to restore the licenses yet 'cause I'm afraid it might mess up my other downloaded games, blocking me out of playing them for the time being, also it only says to do that if you're having problems with already downloaded games, not the store.... dunno.

Even if I put them in the basket I'm still prompted to pay the full amount at the end of the transaction and the page seems glitched since it shows the normal price and then next to the PS+ Exclusive icon there's again the exact same price.

The games I've already grabbed (TBOI:R for ps4 and vita, SW Dig etc.) are correctly shown as 'purchased'.

Did anything similar happen to some of you, have you even heard of something similar?

PSN Store is the Italian one, btw.

Anybody got any idea? :(

PS+ is worth it for games alone. I'd be annoyed if cross saves/online multi were the only things behind paywall, but as a service I have no problems paying for it.

It'd be nice if the features I want were tiered out to where I could pay only for online and cloud saving if I got a PS4, and get none of the free games.

I had PS+ for a year, and never really played the free games I got, and when I ended up with only a Vita the title output eventually slowed to where I knew I couldn't easily recoup my cost for the subscription in PS+ discounts of 10-30% unless I bought things only because they were on sale and only when they were on sale. I don't want to be in that "should I buy it or wait" dance. I always buy physical if it's available and almost always on day 1 if I want something. It's only in the last year or so that day 1 discounts have become a regular thing, and it's still chance to whether a title I'm interested in will have one. I don't want anything in my library, even if it's digital-only, to become inactive when I inevitably let my subscription lapse. Say I got something free on PS+ and the publisher lets the license expire or removes it from the store - in that case, even if I wanted to buy the game outright after my subscription finally lapses, I probably wouldn't be able to. I also don't like when I can't capitalize on a dirt cheap sale on something that's been free on PS+ and is still "owned" in my DL history.

I know I've read about people who've had the online pass for Soul Sacrifice recategorized as a PS+ item by downloading the digital copy when it was free, even though they own the physical copy. The way PS+ freebies has effected Retro City Rampage DX, which is a free upgrade on every other non-Sony platform, really annoys me too.

I know why people like it and I can explain why it's a great deal for 99% of people, but it's not for me. I never am in a position to buy PS+ super cheap on black friday/cyber monday either. I won't get it again until I have to on PS4, so I can go play LBP3 online.

Personally, I would rather pay for a service that works universally and that I have full control over and understand as opposed to have a service for free that is random and wonky.

That's how I feel about pretty much everything I just detailed. No control, random, wonky. The option to get automatic cloud saving with a few hitches, as you said, would still be a nice option to have... and if people want full control they could still pay for that.

Even if you pay for PS+ and use cloud saving... you still need to back up your Vita games if you have any extensive DLC and patches for it, unless you want to redownload those in order to make your imported save compatible. I'd dread having to redownload all my LittleBigPlanet DLC one by one for literally hours again (select, wait, confirm, wait, install, repeat), for example. If legacy PSN, Vita saves and data were handled differently, that would definitely be cloud data management I'd consider worth paying for on it's own.

SerTapTap

Personally, I would rather pay for a service that works universally and that I have full control over and understand as opposed to have a service for free that is random and wonky. I have a bunch of games that don't support steam cloud save, and on multiple occasions older saves have overwritten newer ones on steam because of being offline/online in random ways. I hate steam cloud saving.

That said, on PC you have a thousand ways to back up your saves to any number of things automatically, so you don't have to use steam's crappy cloud saves if you don't want to. But that's PC gaming for you, you always have more control but things are always less standardized and are generally a little harder to understand.

Yeah I actually prefer the universality of cloud saves, though some early PS3 games are fucky, as as PS1/PS2 games on PS3. Progress is slow I guess. But quite a few games on Steam still dont't have cloud save, even new ones. Pretty disapointing. Saves in general on PC are fucked. Stop using Appdata and a thousand different My Documents folders

I have to play Miku 2 on easy because I'm a filthy casual, but I'm getting the hang of it and see why VitaGAF likes it so much. That "Packaged" song/stage was when it clicked for me. Now I want to go to this wonderland too.

I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy more games but how can you resist stuff like DanganRonpa 2 for 20€ and Killzone Mercenary for 10€?

v1perz53

Yeah I actually prefer the universality of cloud saves, though some early PS3 games are fucky, as as PS1/PS2 games on PS3. Progress is slow I guess. But quite a few games on Steam still dont't have cloud save, even new ones. Pretty disapointing. Saves in general on PC are fucked. Stop using Appdata and a thousand different My Documents folders

God, it blows my mind how anyone ever decided that a good place for save data for PC games was in a hidden folder buried within other hidden folders that you can't ever move from your C drive (without possible negative consequences). But I also partly blame microsoft because they made writing to Program Files require admin access or something like that, so tons of games stopped storing their saves in the actual game directory to avoid needing constant admin privileges to save.

SerTapTap

God, it blows my mind how anyone ever decided that a good place for save data for PC games was in a hidden folder buried within other hidden folders that you can't ever move from your C drive (without possible negative consequences). But I also partly blame microsoft because they made writing to Program Files require admin access or something like that, so tons of games stopped storing their saves in the actual game directory to avoid needing constant admin privileges to save.

Well, MS made a "my games" folder at the same time they introduced UAC. I don't think anyone but MS actually uses it, but...

I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy more games but how can you resist stuff like DanganRonpa 2 for 20€ and Killzone Mercenary for 10€?

Buyyyy themmmm

Man God

Non-Canon Member

That would mean paying for plus, which would mean supporting the vile practice of paying to play online, something of a no go for me. I let my PS+ subscription lapse a week after that e3 announcement.

Ouch, isn't this the 2nd or 3rd case of a 64gb crapping out in here?

2nd I heard, and teflontactics said something about getting e-mails reporting 64gb dying recently.
Bad batch, it seems.

Seems like the time people purchased the cards are all different (at launch, all the way 'til a month ago) so it goes to reason that maybe 64GB cards simply have a higher failure rate due to their different manufacture procedure (higher density).

I am impressed by this man's Vita love.

Btw teflontactics whenever you get around to reading this, at a quick glance you're missing the 2nd two Grisaia ports.

Grisaia no Meikyuu -LE LABYRINTHE DE LA GRISAIA- (10/30/2014)
Grisaia no Rakuen -LE EDEN DE LA GRISAIA- (12/11/2014)

Edit - also Flowers (10/9/2014)

Flowers is there and so is Grisaia no Meikyuu - the other I did miss, thank you! :)
(Remember, October has its own spoiler tag - you might have been looking at September!)

And thanks for the compliment, I love my Vita and want everyone else to love theirs too!

v1perz53

That would mean paying for plus, which would mean supporting the vile practice of paying to play online, something of a no go for me. I let my PS+ subscription lapse a week after that e3 announcement.

Much like voting for the Republican presidential candidate in NY, I have long since abandoned the concept of "voting with my dollars" when it is clear my personal dollars will have no difference overall, especially when doing so would negatively impact me. Like with PS+, I find paying for online access an awful practice, but I am capable of internally disliking it while still paying for PS+ for all the awesome features I love, like the game library, discounts, and cloud saves.

Totally respect that you are sticking to your own ideals, I am just saying that at this stage in my life my ideals are worth less than convenience and entertainment to me, not sure if that is sad or not heh.

SerTapTap

Much like voting for the Republican presidential candidate in NY, I have long since abandoned the concept of "voting with my dollars" when it is clear my personal dollars will have no difference overall, especially when doing so would negatively impact me. Like with PS+, I find paying for online access an awful practice, but I am capable of internally disliking it while still paying for PS+ for all the awesome features I love, like the game library, discounts, and cloud saves.

Totally respect that you are sticking to your own ideals, I am just saying that at this stage in my life my ideals are worth less than convenience and entertainment to me, not sure if that is sad or not heh.

I was paying for PS+ and I see no reason to stop now just because additional things are in it now. I do vote with my dollars in general, but in this case their PS+ sub rates skyrocketed once they paywalled online play so it's definitely not going away. I just view it as paying for 72 games a year and some other nice benefits like slightly steeper sales. I can't do anything if the typical consumer is dumb enough to prefer paying for paywalled online to a buffet of free games and discounts.

Cha

Corpse Party?

Can't remember what broke the wall there. My memory is clouded by buttered poopers:p I completed all the chapters, but was too annoyed trying to figure out where I went wrong at the end to pursue the True ending. If it has something to do with the ending, then I guess I need to dive back into it at some point (with a guide this time).

autoduelist

I was paying for PS+ and I see no reason to stop now just because additional things are in it now. I do vote with my dollars in general, but in this case their PS+ sub rates skyrocketed once they paywalled online play so it's definitely not going away. I just view it as paying for 72 games a year and some other nice benefits like slightly steeper sales. I can't do anything if the typical consumer is dumb enough to prefer paying for paywalled online to a buffet of free games and discounts.

Yup, I bought into ps+ the month it was announced, back when you barely got anything. It was worth it to me then for some of the secondary features that people rarely talk about, even though even then I owned a lot of the stuff already. The games weren't nearly as quality as they are now, often with ps1/psp/mini/themes/avatars thrown in.

Now? I consider it vital. When I was little, I remember looking forward to the mail. Now I look forward to my ps+ announcements and sales announcements every week, and that anticipation alone is worth the couple bucks a month, let alone gems like Binding of Isaac.

Heck, the only reason I bought a vita was ps+. That initial ps+ collection with uncharted, wipeout, etc was too good to pass up.

I wish online was free, but I'm certainly not going to quit paying for ps+ because of it.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Store Sneak Peek: November 25th 2014

Demos
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (PS3)
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS4 – PS+ Exclusive)

PSone Classic
Boxing

PS4 Games
Akiba’s Trip: Undead and Undressed
Aqua Kitty DX
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Speakeasy
Tetris Ultimate
Thomas Was Alone

PS3 Games
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Jetpack Joyride Deluxe