• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Curufinwe

Believe me, for every quest you try to finish, you'll find 4 more. Do the bigger "house of" Quest and some sidequest till you think you are strong enough. Once i got fed up with all the side quests i just straight went through the main quest and nothing was even close to my league anymore. So far i would put Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen over Amalur. Not excactly the same games but still.

I'm playing on Hard and now I'm only going to do enough side quests to make sure I'm strong enough for the main quests. PS4 is almost here...

A threefold surprise for PS4 owners

After months of anticipation, we’re just a week away from the launch of PlayStation 4 in the United States and Canada. Starting at midnight on November 15th, you’ll be able to see for yourself what the future of gaming and entertainment looks like.

The network now expands across a wide array of digital entertainment including incredible multi-player gameplay, availability of full games day and date, streaming movies and TV shows, and a premium cloud-based music service. We are excited to provide those of you in the US and Canada with a special promotional voucher in every PS4 box* that includes:

$10 Sony Entertainment Network wallet credit for PlayStation Store
30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial
30-day free Music Unlimited service trial**

10732012643_362b8236a3_z.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, you get the opportunity to buy various houses to use as bases throughout the game as you progress from area to area.
So far I only ever use the Cranneroc one though, the others don't have convenient nearby warping points or have that annoying unskippable city cut scene. xD

Game's so pitifully easy even on Hard though, kinda sad.

Celegus

So far I only ever use the Cranneroc one though, the others don't have convenient nearby warping points or have that annoying unskippable city cut scene. xD
Game's so pitifully easy even on Hard though, kinda sad.

I thought for sure that was a glitch or something at first. Sure your city is very pretty and all, but game design protip: don't do that!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sound like the Music Unlimited won't stack. I didn't get the renewal offer some others in this thread got, either. It's like they are going out of their way to make me get rid of it.
Yeah the service is pretty crappy. I wonder though if we'll be able to redeem the trial on a new PSN account and then use it in game by signing in with 2 accounts (main account for the game and the MU account for background music).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought for sure that was a glitch or something at first. Sure your city is very pretty and all, but game design protip: don't do that!
It's probably a glitch, yes, and sadly since the devs are defunct we won't get a patch. But yeah it's goddamn annoying. Makes exploring every building of those cities so tedious. :(

Number45

The mic's built right into the headset so it's not obvious as your typical headset. IIRC there are switches on it that say things like "Mic Mute" and what not though.
Yeah, on the left you can mute the mic and on the right front is a slider that governs the ratio of sound to voice.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ungh...

Dragon's Dogma is the one of the most addicting games I've played in a very long time, and I've only been from Cassardis to Gran Soren. This is the closest thing I've ever gotten to the RPG of my dreams. Goodness me, if this doesn't get a next gen sequel, I may have to hibernate under the stairs for a while, in the fetal position.

Didn't realize there is a 1 month subscription now...hm... the games right now seem so good... I mean, SoTC and ICO? Hotline Miami? Jet Set Radio? I think I might bite for 1 month and then get enough money for one of the games.

Being an unemployed teenager sucks :c

Storm360

Has anyone got Rainbow Six Vegas off the Japanese Playstation Plus?

I'm having extreme framerate issues, just trying to figure if its the game or my system.

Randy

Ungh...

Dragon's Dogma is the one of the most addicting games I've played in a very long time, and I've only been from Cassardis to Gran Soren. This is the closest thing I've ever gotten to the RPG of my dreams. Goodness me, if this doesn't get a next gen sequel, I may have to hibernate under the stairs for a while, in the fetal position.

Wait until the final boss fight from the base game. I'm amazed there's not more buzz around this game.

ThisOne

I have a 30-day trial to Playstation Plus but I've also already got a one-year subscription. It won't let me add the 30-day trial onto my subscription. Keeps saying the code isn't valid or has already been used. I thought that these 30-day trials could stack onto an existing subscription. What gives?

Joni

I have a 30-day trial to Playstation Plus but I've also already got a one-year subscription. It won't let me add the 30-day trial onto my subscription. Keeps saying the code isn't valid or has already been used. I thought that these 30-day trials could stack onto an existing subscription. What gives?

US: They should, but it seems like the ones with the PS4 won't. Maybe new 30 days codes don't either.
EU: No, they don't.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
US: They should, but it seems like the ones with the PS4 won't. Maybe new 30 days codes don't either.
EU: No, they don't.
They changed it over the summer. The E3 trials they handed it out via Home couldn't be stacked. I'm assuming this is the way they're gonna handle all PS+ trial codes now that they've confirmed the codes included with PS4's also don't stack.

ThisOne

Yep, it must have changed. I'm in the US and it doesn't seem to want to let me stack the 30-day trial code on top of my subscription. Oh well. Guess that 30-day code that comes with the PS4 will be pretty worthless to me too.

Bulk_Rate

Wait until the final boss fight from the base game. I'm amazed there's not more buzz around this game.

I'm loving it too although it can be unforgiving. Took me a while to learn not to get too attached to Pawns and to switch them out as needed.

Also, I look forward to the day in 2037 when my grandchildren can play it at 60fps on a PS3 emulator.

Ungh...

Lmao I haven't even made it that far yet! Once I got to the witchwood I just started exploring that whole area. I am incredibly addicted to the upgrading and combining of materials. The pawn system is cool also!

A question. Why are most pawns 0 Rc to get but then others actually cost to get? What is that about?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pawns that are below your level and/or made by people on your friend list cost nothing to hire. Non-friend's pawns that are higher level than you will cost RC depending on their level.

Sotha_Sil

Very disappointed with Dragon's Dogma after all the GAF-hype. Outside of the great battles against large monsters and dragons, it seems below-average in just about every other aspect.

Very disappointed with Dragon's Dogma after all the GAF-hype. Outside of the great battles against large monsters and dragons, it seems below-average in just about every other aspect.

Wow, I could not disagree with you more. I'm actually a little pissed that the game wasn't hyped more. This is way more than I was expecting. The depth in combat mechanics alone is phenomenal. It's like the elder scrolls and shadow of the collosus had a love child and left it on my doorstep.

waltyftm

Banned
Wow, I could not disagree with you more. I'm actually a little pissed that the game wasn't hyped more. This is way more than I was expecting. The depth in combat mechanics alone is phenomenal. It's like the elder scrolls and shadow of the collosus had a love child and left it on my doorstep.

Well said, just finished it this morning and jumped straight into a new game +, love everything about it.

Sotha_Sil

Combat is not everything in a game, especially an open-world RPG. I'd even argue it's one of the least important things in such a game.

edit: I do have to give the game credit for putting in climbing mechanics and placing importance on stamina. Good stuff there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree with this. I do like the game for its combat and character customization, but it's otherwise very deeply flawed in all other aspects.

Combat is not everything in a game, especially an open-world RPG. I'd even argue it's one of the least important things in such a game.
I do disagree here. Combat is the first thing I look at, if it's annoying or poorly done I shelf the game forever, if not I always give it a chance. But that might be just me. I'm a sucker for monster slaying, but if that slaying is not fun, everything else in terms of exploring and customization won't matter because ultimately it won't matter to me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Blah! Outside of some pop-in issues (which are very apparent), frame-rate issues, and rather bad NPCs, this game does a lot of things better than many of it's contemporaries, or at least more favorably in my eyes.

The combat system is ace, and the unique abilities you can get for ranking up your vocation are all really cool. Magic looks and feels powerful. Archers can do a whole host of moves with their arrows, both magical and mundane. And warriors pack that Übermensch punch. But heck, I've only played as the strider and magic archer vocations, outside of the ol' demos.

The traversal and the world are both great. The lighting and environments combine to make some of the most believable locations I've ever seen in an RPG. There's loot tucked away everywhere, but it's not anything too powerful that it breaks the game, just materials and gold. I love that you can climb on almost any edge that's sharp enough, and certain classes like striders can get a double-jump to make it even easier to get around. Night time is amazingly black.

The game is rough around the edges (rampant pop-in, some framerate apocalypse, and the dreaded filmic black bars), but it still manages to pack some really nice details that make the world come to life. There's a lot of foliage which blows in the wind or from some impact caused by the player. Armor is made of multiple layers with robes and cloaks that have physics (Skyrim, pls) and everything that gets wet takes on a dampened look. There are some really cool effects on the player's attacks too.

There's just so much stuff in the game. So many equipment pieces, combinable materials, weapons for all the classes, techniques, loot, corners to explore, quests (of varying quality), enemies with distinct weaknesses and attack styles...

Again, I'm only to Gran Soren.

Also my main character is called Rip Wilkis, and he looks a little like the main character in The Order: 1886, so I feel really happy about that. No screenshots at the moment though. I've got them, but I haven't uploaded any yet.

Sotha_Sil

I do disagree here. Combat is the first thing I look at, if it's annoying or poorly done I shelf the game forever, if not I always give it a chance. But that might be just me. I'm a sucker for monster slaying, but if that slaying is not fun, everything else in terms of exploring and customization won't matter because ultimately it won't matter to me.

Fair enough. I just can't enjoy an open-world game I plan on playing for a long time if world design, art direction, dialog, and story are all lacking.

Morrowind is a classic example. Absolutely horrible combat, but I will never forget playing that game because of the amazing art direction and incredible amount of detail in the world (especially for a Xbox-era game).

Sotha_Sil

Got an email to sign back up with PS+.
I will when I get the PS4 in Feb.

It might be worth it to get it now if you like what you see with Resogun, Contrast, Don't Starve, Secret Ponchos, and Outlast (I think those are the confirmed PS4 IGC games thus far). Not sure how many, if any, of those will be on the PS4 IGC by Feb.

It might be worth it to get it now if you like what you see with Resogun, Contrast, Don't Starve, Secret Ponchos, and Outlast (I think those are the confirmed PS4 IGC games thus far). Not sure how many, if any, of those will be on the PS4 IGC by Feb.

Any way to do it without a PS3? Cause I kind of don't have one.

Roto13

If I were you, I'd watch the PlayStation Blog and wait until those games are about to leave the service before subscribing to Plus. They'll be there for at least a month, if not more.

Unless you want to start collecting Vita games, too.

If I were you, I'd watch the PlayStation Blog and wait until those games are about to leave the service before subscribing to Plus. They'll be there for at least a month, if not more.

Unless you want to start collecting Vita games, too.

I'm not planning on getting a Vita anytime soon.

I'm just surprised at how ugly the game is. It's a blurry mess and looks like an early gen game. And the framerate is pretty bad.

I like the combat though, it's good enough to overcome most of the game's flaws.

Khronico

Blah! Outside of some pop-in issues (which are very apparent), frame-rate issues, and rather bad NPCs, this game does a lot of things better than many of it's contemporaries, or at least more favorably in my eyes.

The combat system is ace, and the unique abilities you can get for ranking up your vocation are all really cool. Magic looks and feels powerful. Archers can do a whole host of moves with their arrows, both magical and mundane. And warriors pack that Übermensch punch. But heck, I've only played as the strider and magic archer vocations, outside of the ol' demos.

The traversal and the world are both great. The lighting and environments combine to make some of the most believable locations I've ever seen in an RPG. There's loot tucked away everywhere, but it's not anything too powerful that it breaks the game, just materials and gold. I love that you can climb on almost any edge that's sharp enough, and certain classes like striders can get a double-jump to make it even easier to get around. Night time is amazingly black.

The game is rough around the edges (rampant pop-in, some framerate apocalypse, and the dreaded filmic black bars), but it still manages to pack some really nice details that make the world come to life. There's a lot of foliage which blows in the wind or from some impact caused by the player. Armor is made of multiple layers with robes and cloaks that have physics (Skyrim, pls) and everything that gets wet takes on a dampened look. There are some really cool effects on the player's attacks too.

There's just so much stuff in the game. So many equipment pieces, combinable materials, weapons for all the classes, techniques, loot, corners to explore, quests (of varying quality), enemies with distinct weaknesses and attack styles...

Again, I'm only to Gran Soren.

Also my main character is called Rip Wilkis, and he looks a little like the main character in The Order: 1886, so I feel really happy about that. No screenshots at the moment though. I've got them, but I haven't uploaded any yet.

Couldn't agree with you more. After 5 hours so far I can safely say this is one of my favorite RPG's this gen.

They changed it over the summer. The E3 trials they handed it out via Home couldn't be stacked. I'm assuming this is the way they're gonna handle all PS+ trial codes now that they've confirmed the codes included with PS4's also don't stack.

I used one of those PS Home trials during the summer and didn't renew, will the trial codes that are packed with the console/games work?

jcm

Did they get rid of the $5 minimum charge? I extended my MU for $3, and they only charged my credit card $2.98. I had two cents in my wallet.

Flandy

Why does the screen shot feature in Dragons Dogma compress the image so much? I want to take some shots of my character + environment but it just ends up looking like a blurry mess of blocks
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom