• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Returning to TGS as a General Exhibitor First Time Since 2019

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
 Among the exhibitors, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will be exhibiting at a general exhibition for the first time since 2019. SIE has not exhibited since 2020, and this is its first exhibit since the release of the PS5. In 2019, Hideo Kojima, director of Death Stranding , took to the stage and attracted a large audience ( see article here ).

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Perhaps they're planning to demonstrate the capabilities PS5 Pro in their booth? I honestly find it hard to think of any other reasons as to why they'd want to return to these in-person, consumer-centric events after half a decade of not showing up at any of them.
they just had a change of leadership.

realcool

Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

PeteBull

Perhaps they're planning to demonstrate the capabilities PS5 Pro in their booth? I honestly find it hard to think of any other reasons as to why they'd want to return to these in-person, consumer-centric events after half a decade of not showing up at any of them.
Checks out, its 26-29th sept, so when they officially reveal ps5pr0 at playstation meeting earlier this month it would be weird to not present it/games running on it late sept on tgs :)
Even more reason/clearer sign we gonna get ps5pr0 reveal in about 2 months from now :D

vivftp

1) PS5 Pro will be revealed a couple weeks prior to TGS
2) A Showcase will no doubt accompany the Pro reveal, meaning they'll have a metric assload of content to show off
3) They are only recently past the disruptions to their pipeline caused by the pandemic, and they've got a TON of software for the second half of this gen
4) In a way Sony has been easing into in-person events via their involvement with EVO. They originally opted out of in-person events when the pandemic began for the safety of their employees and we are now well into a post-pandemic world where in-person events are the norm again.
5) New leadership can have new ideas of what direction to go in

Gamescom is happening too, but that happens in August, before the potential Pro reveal/Showcase, so Sony would not want to have a presence there. TGS being post-Showcase fits better timing wise to be there.

begotten

What does it mean to be a "General Exhibitor"? A booth and stage presense?

Can imagine Astro Bot being playable on the floor. Maybe Death Stranding 2 shit also? Not sure what else to expect from this.

Perrott

What does it mean to be a "General Exhibitor"? A booth and stage presense?

Can imagine Astro Bot being playable on the floor. Maybe Death Stranding 2 shit also? Not sure what else to expect from this.
They have a huge marketing deal in place for Monster Hunter Wilds, a timed console exclusivity for Silent Hill 2 and I doubt anyone but PlayStation is going to be publicizing Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater in Japan. Not to mention how a Gravity Rush 2 remaster is rumored to be releasing at the end of the summer, maybe coinciding with TGS, or getting into China Hero games such as Lost Soul Aside, which should be nearing the end of development.

Fredrik

Are there any official hints when they might start talking about next generation?
They’re 4 years into this generation, at this point they need to decide if they should let PS5 go out with a bang or if they should save the big stuff to let PS6 start with a bang.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
1) PS5 Pro will be revealed a couple weeks prior to TGS
2) A Showcase will no doubt accompany the Pro reveal, meaning they'll have a metric assload of content to show off
3) They are only recently past the disruptions to their pipeline caused by the pandemic, and they've got a TON of software for the second half of this gen
4) In a way Sony has been easing into in-person events via their involvement with EVO. They originally opted out of in-person events when the pandemic began for the safety of their employees and we are now well into a post-pandemic world where in-person events are the norm again.
5) New leadership can have new ideas of what direction to go in

Gamescom is happening too, but that happens in August, before the potential Pro reveal/Showcase, so Sony would not want to have a presence there. TGS being post-Showcase fits better timing wise to be there.

A metric assload of content sounds amazing! - Can't wait!

Japanese PlayStation celebrates 30 years since the PS1 released.

It’s possibly has to do more with that than the Pro.

But I really hope that the Pro is announced/showed there.

Hudo

Gold Member
Maybe finally Sony can start off the generation and bring in some games. New Motorstorm and Wipeout would be appreciated. Also a new Resistance. I also wouldn't say no to hear what Ueda has been working on. And maybe Tokyo Jungle 2.

nial

Holy shit, I was recently watching some of SIE's previous TGS stuff, and I really hoped that they would finally come back this year. I know they won't have a press conference just like in TGS 2019 (we'll probably have a Showcase around the same time, anyway), but it's still exciting to see them again over there.
jzSgGk7.jpeg

Kokoloko85

Maybe finally Sony can start off the generation and bring in some games. New Motorstorm and Wipeout would be appreciated. Also a new Resistance. I also wouldn't say no to hear what Ueda has been working on. And maybe Tokyo Jungle 2.
A true scholar… Now make it happen
YeHDApz.gif

Vitter.

Not many big news usually come from TGS so this is probably a way for the new brass to show that Japan is not being abandoned like when they changed ¨accept¨ from square to x for this gen in the territory that historically had the layout different from the west (is the change still in place?).

Last edited:

splattered

PS5 Pro for sure! Maybe a show floor with games like Astrobot running on it.

Then we won't see Sony at an event again for another 5 years when they finally have enough Gaas and indie titles to fill their floor space. I kid. Kinda.

vivftp

Are there any official hints when they might start talking about next generation?
They’re 4 years into this generation, at this point they need to decide if they should let PS5 go out with a bang or if they should save the big stuff to let PS6 start with a bang.

2028 for the PS6. It'd be moronic for them to start a new gen so early for no good reason. The Pro will keep their lineup looking fresh and competitive against higher end offerings like PC til the PS6 arrives.

The PS5 will end with the biggest of bangs. The PS6 will enter the world with a bang. Both consoles with bang together in one enormous cross gen gang bang.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ok, this is some amazing news! September right. So ps5 pro might be there and some big games.
If it's announced before then sure, but no one announces or reveals consoles at TGS.
I wonder if they'll have a conference 🤔

vivftp

If it's announced before then sure, but no one announces or reveals consoles at TGS.
I wonder if they'll have a conference 🤔

PS5 Pro reveal and Showcase should occur about a week or so into September, going by historical precedent. Then TGS can expand upon that a couple weeks later

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS5 Pro reveal and Showcase should occur about a week or so into September, going by historical precedent. Then TGS can expand upon that a couple weeks later
If*
Meaning if they don't have a showcase, don't expect any reveal for the rest of the year because it won't be at TGS.
maybe a end of year Playstation Meeting...

Fredrik

2028 for the PS6. It'd be moronic for them to start a new gen so early for no good reason. The Pro will keep their lineup looking fresh and competitive against higher end offerings like PC til the PS6 arrives.

The PS5 will end with the biggest of bangs. The PS6 will enter the world with a bang. Both consoles with bang together in one enormous cross gen gang bang.
An 8 year generation seems awfully long to me! 😲

And even so, I doubt that the big A teams would be ready for new big games til 2028 on PS6 if they go out with a bang on PS5 Pro.
Maybe they’ll have multiple teams though idk

Either way, if PS5 Pro is a substantial upgrade it would 100% sell more labelled as PS6. Edit, btw I fully accept this to be seen as crazy talk. But if they do a big showcase and have big A team AAA releases it would feel like a proper generationen no doubt. The Pro label just makes people think it’s not needed, that’s how I feel, I already have a PS5 and my PC is my Pro, kinda. So, surprise PS6 unveil this year, hype trailers, launch Nov 2025. Ghost 2 day 1, Santa Monica Cory’s game in launch window early 2026, Death Stranding 2 and Wolverine holiday 2026, Naughty Dog’s new game and Housemarque’s next one in 2027, GT8 and Horizon 3 in 2028. PS7 for 2030.
👌

How would the launch schedule look for a 2028 PS6 launch if big AAA titles are dropping on PS5 Pro these next 1-4 years?

Last edited:

vivftp

An 8 year generation seems awfully long to me! 😲

And even so, I doubt that the big A teams would be ready for new big games til 2028 on PS6 if they go out with a bang on PS5 Pro.
Maybe they’ll have multiple teams though idk

Either way, if PS5 Pro is a substantial upgrade it would 100% sell more labelled as PS6. Edit, btw I fully accept this to be seen as crazy talk. But if they do a big showcase and have big A team AAA releases it would feel like a proper generationen no doubt. The Pro label just makes people think it’s not needed, that’s how I feel, I already have a PS5 and my PC is my Pro, kinda. So, surprise PS6 unveil this year, hype trailers, launch Nov 2025. Ghost 2 day 1, Santa Monica Cory’s game in launch window early 2026, Death Stranding 2 and Wolverine holiday 2026, Naughty Dog’s new game and Housemarque’s next one in 2027, GT8 and Horizon 3 in 2028. PS7 for 2030.
👌

How would the launch schedule look for a 2028 PS6 launch if big AAA titles are dropping on PS5 Pro these next 1-4 years?

Last gen was 7 years and the hardware was much less capable relatively speaking compared to the PS5 this gen. Plus last gen didn't have a pandemic fucking it up the ass for the first 3 years, so that helps to make it easier to pull off a longer gen now.

Regarding teams having content ready for the PS6 if they go hard on the second half of the PS5, allow me to illustrate. I'll start by showing that I believe that 14 out of the 17 SIE studios should have content ready to go in the next couple years based off of known projects and average dev time of 5-6 years.

Might as well re-post this breakdown I made a week or two ago:

Bored at work, so just pondering further about each studio and their timeline on the next game release. Using an average of 5-6 years for AAA game development here's where I am guessing they stand...

Naughty Dog - last original game release was June 2020. The new IP under Neil would've gone into pre-production around this time. They were also doing pre-production on TLOU Online, but they stopped dev on that. That means we're currently at the 4 year mark from the start of pre-production to today on their next original project. Based off of average turnaround time for most AAA games, it's likely this game would ship either in 2025 or 2026.

Santa Monica Studios - last original game release was November 2022. We also know that a new game under Cory is being made, and the last game shipped under Cory was released in April 2018. We don't know precisely when pre-production would have started, but it could be upwards of 6 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game very well could release next year

Sucker Punch - last original game release was July 2020, with an original expansion released August 2021. It's all but certain that they're working on Ghost of Tsushima 2 and based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release either in 2025 or 2026

Guerrilla Games - last original game release was February 2022, with an original expansion released April 2023. It is highly speculated that there is a Horizon Online game in the works under Simon Larouche. Rumor has it this game could've been in development as early as 2018, which would put us around the 6 year mark now. Based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release next year

Insomniac Games - last original release was October 2023. We know they are working on a Wolverine game that was revealed to the world in late 2021 where it was said to be in very early development. That puts it at 3+ years, so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release in 2025 or 2026. It's also within the realm of possibility that a Spider-Man 2 DLC could show up around the 1 year anniversary of Spider-Man 2, if they follow the pattern of many other SIE studios with their tentpole releases.

Bend Studios - last original release was April 2019. We know based off reports that up until early 2021 Bend was working with Naughty Dog on a new Uncharted game, and then they asked to work on their own original project. That puts us at 3+ years for development, and we have no way of knowing how much pre-production was done prior to the studio going full steam ahead on this new IP. If we use the Days Gone release as the upper limit, this game could have been in development anywhere between 3.5 to 5 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game could release 2025 or 2026

Housemarque Studios - last original release was April 2021 with a DLC released March 2022. We know the studio is working on a new IP so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release around 2026

Haven Studios - working on their first game, the studio was formed March 2021. Based on average turnaround time this game could release around 2026

Bluepoint - last original release was November 2020. Said to be working on an original title, this game could release in 2025 or 2026

Firewalk - first title releases this August

Media Molecule - last original release was February 2020, with some smaller releases within Dreams. We know they were supporting Dreams and in April 2023 they announced plans to end support for Dreams. We don't know specifically when development began on their next title and how much pre-production work might have been done prior to this announcement so that window could be anywhere been 1 to 4.5 years. This title could release anytime in the next 4 or so years.

Firesprite - last original release was February 2023. It has been said they were working on the Twisted Metal game that was moved over to them, but this game was cancelled around February 2024. It seems they're working on another game that's a dark horror narrative title, and that's been in development since at least September 2021. Based on average turnaround times, this game could release around 2026

Polyphony - last original release was March 2022. Based on average turnaround time, their next title could release around 2027

San Diego Studios - annual release of MLB, so their next title will release next year

Team Asobi - their next title releases this September

Neon Koi - Sony acquired them in August 2022. We have no frame of reference to guess when their title might release

Bungie - last original release was June 2024. They have announced their next title to be Marathon, and this game could release either in 2025 or 2026.

Then beyond that we have the apparent secret team under Jason Blundell, possibly working on the original IP that Deviation was previously working on. Far too many unknowns here to try and guess when their title might release.

By my count that's a potential of upwards of 14 SIE studios that could have an original title ready to release within the next couple of years. Then stack the mountain of XDEV studios on top of that.

What's my point? We gonna be eating REAL good. I keep saying it, but the latter half of this gen is gonna be defined by one word - DENSE.

Now think about how this gen started and what its first year was supposed to be. PlayStation console exclusive launch games were:

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Bugsnax
Godfall
Astro's Playroom pack-in
Spider-Man Remastered

And then the original plan for the first year was meant to include:

Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Destruction All-Stars
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7

That's the sort of mix of cross gen and PS6 exclusive content I would expect to see at the PS6 launch and its first year... maybe dialing things up a bit more for the actual day 1 launch lineup. There could be some massive cross-gen games landing in that period that could include anything like TLOU Part 3, Spider-Man 3, Horizon 3, God of War next mainline title, Physint and more. If Sucker punch launches Ghost of Tsushima 2 next year then it's not too crazy to think they might be able to get a third game out by 2029 as well. And yeah, many teams are multi-project so they could potentially have content ready for the PS6 launch window even if the same studio released a game in the next year or two. Plus there's a buttload of XDEV studios working on projects that could help to fill out the launch window of the PS6.

The PS5 Pro will be a large leap over the base PS5, but not a generational leap. That's not its purpose and it wasn't built with that idea in mind based on the data we have on it. It is fully normal for Sony to stack the second half of a gen, they've done this for the PS3 and PS4. They've done a good job in the first half, all things considered with the pandemic. The job of the first half of the gen is to set the stage and build up a solid userbase so that when the tsunami of games comes in the second half, there'll be large potential userbase to sell those games to. No point in releasing dozens of extremely high budget games in the first half of the gen when the userbase is still relatively small. That's also why cross-gen is necessary, so they can try to cover dev costs on those big budget games while also trying to make a decent profit .

Top Bottom