• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Returning to TGS as a General Exhibitor First Time Since 2019

Radical_3d

A metric assload of content sounds amazing! - Can't wait!
Once again Americans not understanding the metric system. It’s actually very little. It’s like a tenth of a gallon assload or 1/5 a stone assload. But if we are talking about nautical assloads the measures are actually the same in Europe. Now, since the show is in Japan I’d expect a bowl assload of content for the Pro exhibition. Maybe sided with edamame.

Last edited:

Fredrik

And yeah, many teams are multi-project so they could potentially have content ready for the PS6 launch window even if the same studio released a game in the next year or two. Plus there's a buttload of XDEV studios working on projects that could help to fill out the launch window of the PS6.
Hmm, the big 1st party studios having multiple teams is the only way they can go big at Pro + PS6 launch imo.

But realistically I think it takes too long for most studios to make games these days.
Sorry to be mr negative on this. I think going big now will result in B team content and remasters at PS6 launch and then a couple years waiting for the real stuff. Can’t blame everything on Covid, making games take time now, everybody is struggling to get things out, unless they do iterative work like Playground on Forza Horizon or Insomniac on Spider-Man. Insomniac is a studio that can pump out games fast enough, they could absolutely do Wolverine for PS5 Pro and Spider-Man 3 for PS6 launch, zero doubt. But that’s not how they all work.

Look at Naughty Dog’s output this generation. Or Guerrilla. Or Sucker Punch. Or Bend. Or Polyphony. Or Housemarque. Why would they suddenly 2x their output? Is there any evidence that they could do that?

Relabel PS5 Pro and go with PS6 in late 2025 instead. Then PS7 in 2030. 5 year generations, no mid gen updates, no 1st party game drought half a gen. What’s the downsides to that?

vivftp

Hmm, the big 1st party studios having multiple teams is the only way they can go big at Pro + PS6 launch imo.

But realistically I think it takes too long for most studios to make games these days.
Sorry to be mr negative on this. I think going big now will result in B team content and remasters at PS6 launch and then a couple years waiting for the real stuff. Can’t blame everything on Covid, making games take time now, everybody is struggling to get things out, unless they do iterative work like Playground on Forza Horizon or Insomniac on Spider-Man. Insomniac is a studio that can pump out games fast enough, they could absolutely do Wolverine for PS5 Pro and Spider-Man 3 for PS6 launch, zero doubt. But that’s not how they all work.

Look at Naughty Dog’s output this generation. Or Guerrilla. Or Sucker Punch. Or Bend. Or Polyphony. Or Housemarque. Why would they suddenly 2x their output? Is there any evidence that they could do that?

Relabel PS5 Pro and go with PS6 in late 2025 instead. Then PS7 in 2030. 5 year generations, no mid gen updates, no 1st party game drought half a gen. What’s the downsides to that?

Well I've covered that conceivably they could have a game like TLOU3 or Spider-Man 3 or the next God of War game or any number of other titles as a cross gen PS6 launch window title. No one on Earth would call that B Team content (not liking the use of this phrase but I'll roll with it). From a business perspective it doesn't make sense to stack a ton of A Team content at the start of a gen just because the new console has a relatively tiny user base. Cross gen games can help to mitigate that at least.

Naughty Dog released their biggest game months before this gen started and because it was an all hands on deck situation they were not able to do their normal pre production work on their next title ahead of time. That is the reason we haven't seen their new single player game yet. They were working on TLOU Online but they had to stop dev on that.

Guerrilla released a massive game in 2022, an expansion in 2023 and have been working on an online game for the past 6 years that should be revealed pretty soon

Those studios are multi project so their output is greater. The other studios you listed are not multi project, and no one is claiming their output will suddenly go up.

Respectfully, 5 year gens is the stupidest thing a platform holder can do. You'd have average game dev time for a AAA game being as long or longer than an entire gen. Software would never be built to take full advantage of new hardware as the new hardware would always be changing too quickly. No platform holder should do that. Back in the early days of the PS1 or PS2 that might have worked, that does not work today and won't work in the future

Fredrik

Respectfully, 5 year gens is the stupidest thing a platform holder can do. You'd have average game dev time for a AAA game being as long or longer than an entire gen. Software would never be built to take full advantage of new hardware as the new hardware would always be changing too quickly. No platform holder should do that. Back in the early days of the PS1 or PS2 that might have worked, that does not work today and won't work in the future
Devs won’t take full advantage of a Pro console in 4 years either. It’s no big deal as long as the new hardware are making things better.

Idk I just see an OG console holding things back because it’s mandatory to make things run on that. And I see a Pro console selling badly because it’s not seen as necessary when it’s just an upgrade. Like I never bought PS4 Pro. But I bought PS5.

See it like this: 5 year gaps between numbered hardware releases would give devs 1 extra year between hardware upgrades compared to a 8 year OG-Pro generation. Plus no 8yo junk to worry about, they can focus on the best stuff all the time.
🤷‍♂️

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

vivftp

Devs won’t take full advantage of a Pro console in 4 years either. It’s no big deal as long as the new hardware are making things better.

Idk I just see an OG console holding things back because it’s mandatory to make things run on that. And I see a Pro console selling badly because it’s not seen as necessary when it’s just an upgrade. Like I never bought PS4 Pro. But I bought PS5.

See it like this: 5 year gaps between numbered hardware releases would give devs 1 extra year between hardware upgrades compared to a 8 year OG-Pro generation. Plus no 8yo junk to worry about, they can focus on the best stuff all the time.
🤷‍♂️

The difference is that the PS5 Pro isn't the target console, the base PS5 is and that will be around for about 8 years. In that time many studios will release 2 or more games so they can better learn the system, improve their tech and learn to fully utilize the base console. The PS5 Pro takes what they're doing on the base console and dials everything up to 11. By doing a brand new gen every 5 years that target console keeps moving and in many cases will be outdated by the time a studio is able to ship their game because the next console has come out.

Neither first party or third party would jive with a 5 year gen going forward. It'd be disruptive to them and I'm not seeing gamers in general jive with it either. Just as each gen starts to hit its stride the next hotness comes out and you need to upgrade to even be able to play those new games. The PS5 Pro is still a PS5, so it can play every single thing that releases on the PS5. It's an extra option to gamers who want more, a brand new gen every 5 years is just a forced cash grab that does no one any good - gamers, devs, Sony - no one would benefit

Fredrik

The difference is that the PS5 Pro isn't the target console, the base PS5 is and that will be around for about 8 years. In that time many studios will release 2 or more games so they can better learn the system, improve their tech and learn to fully utilize the base console. The PS5 Pro takes what they're doing on the base console and dials everything up to 11. By doing a brand new gen every 5 years that target console keeps moving and in many cases will be outdated by the time a studio is able to ship their game because the next console has come out.

Neither first party or third party would jive with a 5 year gen going forward. It'd be disruptive to them and I'm not seeing gamers in general jive with it either. Just as each gen starts to hit its stride the next hotness comes out and you need to upgrade to even be able to play those new games. The PS5 Pro is still a PS5, so it can play every single thing that releases on the PS5. It's an extra option to gamers who want more, a brand new gen every 5 years is just a forced cash grab that does no one any good - gamers, devs, Sony - no one would benefit
If there is backwards compatibility there won’t be much difference, a higher spec box exist, cool. Make games for that if you want, or stay on the lowend box. The big difference is that devs aren’t required to release their game on the old 8 year old box if they rather do that cranked up to 11 release. And we’ve learn a thing or two about being required to work on lowend boxes this gen.
I get that there are some downsides, but you can’t see any upsides? No one would benefit?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Amazing how once Jim Ryan is gone Sony realizes Japan exists again.

PS6 will return the O/X buttons to what they've always been in Japan.

vivftp

If there is backwards compatibility there won’t be much difference, a higher spec box exist, cool. Make games for that if you want, or stay on the lowend box. The big difference is that devs aren’t required to release their game on the old 8 year old box if they rather do that cranked up to 11 release. And we’ve learn a thing or two about being required to work on lowend boxes this gen.
I get that there are some downsides, but you can’t see any upsides? No one would benefit?

Nope, devs would always be up against the deadline of the new gen, games would be rushed or have features cut just so they could launch before the next console shows up. It'd be a shit show all around.

The benefit of the current model is that they can have a solid baseline for devs to target and get used to for a couple of projects and the mid gen refresh can be used to prototype new features that could be heavily pushed in the next main console. PSSR is gonna debut on the Pro and no doubt will be massively more utilized and fleshed out for the PS6

The people making these consoles are far smarter than us on this subject. There's a reason they're doing it this way, so best to trust their knowledge and experience rather than our speculative what-ifs when trying to analyze their industry

Fredrik

Nope, devs would always be up against the deadline of the new gen, games would be rushed or have features cut just so they could launch before the next console shows up. It'd be a shit show all around.

The benefit of the current model is that they can have a solid baseline for devs to target and get used to for a couple of projects and the mid gen refresh can be used to prototype new features that could be heavily pushed in the next main console. PSSR is gonna debut on the Pro and no doubt will be massively more utilized and fleshed out for the PS6

The people making these consoles are far smarter than us on this subject. There's a reason they're doing it this way, so best to trust their knowledge and experience rather than our speculative what-ifs when trying to analyze their industry
Paying $500 to prototype next gen is not a good sales pitch. But games are always rushed. I don’t think that will go away no matter what. Devs just have two hardware launches now that they want to time, first the OG and then the Pro, which is likely why there is silence this year, they want in on the Pro hype.

I don’t see how much different that is from wanting to be there a year later on a PS6 box, except that they wouldn’t have to target OG PS5 unless it’s a crossgen title.

Anyhow, I get what you’re saying, I just don’t agree that it’s a better strategy to have dual SKUs instead of doing a real generation shift.

vivftp

Paying $500 to prototype next gen is not a good sales pitch. But games are always rushed. I don’t think that will go away no matter what. Devs just have two hardware launches now that they want to time, first the OG and then the Pro, which is likely why there is silence this year, they want in on the Pro hype.

I don’t see how much different that is from wanting to be there a year later on a PS6 box, except that they wouldn’t have to target OG PS5 unless it’s a crossgen title.

Anyhow, I get what you’re saying, I just don’t agree that it’s a better strategy to have dual SKUs instead of doing a real generation shift.

The purpose of the Pro is singular - to provide a higher end version of the base console for the gamer who wants more and to retain some of those users who might have opted to jump over to PC. That's why the PS4 Pro existed, and that's no doubt why the PS5 Pro exists. SIE leadership observed that around the mid-point of a gen a good portion of folks were gravitating away from console to PC, and the mid-gen refresh was born to help retain some of that crowd. Any other benefits are nice, but that's its main purpose.

When gens last 7 or 8 years the base console will grow long in the tooth no matter what, so offering an option for those who still want the console experience but want more is nice - so long as it remains an option and not a forced mandate by prematurely cutting the gen off early.

Like I said, back in the PS1 or PS2 days when dev time on a AAA game was much shorter, a 5 year gen made perfect sense. These days when a single AAA game can take 5 or 6 years, it just doesn't work.

Fredrik

Like I said, back in the PS1 or PS2 days when dev time on a AAA game was much shorter, a 5 year gen made perfect sense. These days when a single AAA game can take 5 or 6 years, it just doesn't work.
But that’s the scenario my original post came from. 5 years to make games. So they have to choose, Pro or PS6.

Look at how nicely it all lines up in a 5 year generation strategy:

PS6 generation starts in 2025.
5 years to make games.
Next batch of games in 2030.
PS7 generation starts in 5 years, 2030.
Another batch of games in 5 years, 2035.
PS8 generation in another 5 years, 2035.
Etc.

👌

It’s obviously not that linear but you get the idea.

Meanwhile the upcoming Pro games will likely arrive 2025-2027. Which means that their next games would arrive in 2030-2032, several years into PS6 gen you say will start in 2028. Seems badly timed.

Of course, if they have multiple A teams and can time the releases after when the Pro and OG consoles launches then things could line up nicely anyway.
We’ll see what happens I guess.

Last edited:

vivftp

But that’s the scenario my original post came from. 5 years to make games. So they have to choose, Pro or PS6.

Look at how nicely it all lines up in a 5 year generation strategy:

PS6 generation starts in 2025.
5 years to make games.
Next batch of games in 2030.
PS7 generation starts in 5 years, 2030.
Another batch of games in 5 years, 2035.
PS8 generation in another 5 years, 2035.
Etc.

👌

It’s obviously not that linear but you get the idea.

Meanwhile the upcoming Pro games will likely arrive 2025-2027. Which means that their next games would arrive in 2030-2032, several years into PS6 gen you say will start in 2028. Seems badly timed.

Of course, if they have multiple A teams and can time the releases after when the Pro and OG consoles launches then things could line up nicely anyway.
We’ll see what happens I guess.

The issue is you're viewing the Pro as though it's meant to be the equivalent jump of a new gen both to devs and consumers - it never was. It's only purpose is an extra option for those who want more within the same gen.

Not gonna type up another lengthy response, suffice it to say, I disagree with such a strategy working or being a benefit to anyone.

Nice!! I love coverage of live in-person shows like this. Nintendo has essentially stopped doing them altogether too since e3 died, and I’m getting really sick of it.

vivftp

It hard for me get excited about this, there barely any Sony first party game I’m looking forward other than Astro Bot.

There is a very high probability of a Showcase occurring between now and TGS, likely a week or so into September. That should introduce a new wave of games that could potentially be featured at TGS.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is a very high probability of a Showcase occurring between now and TGS, likely a week or so into September. That should introduce a new wave of games that could potentially be featured at TGS.
The question what exactly I should look forward to? Another Marvel game? Or another game from their western studios?

For my taste Sony’s first party selection this gen has been super disappointing.

vivftp

The question what exactly I should look forward to? Another Marvel game? Or another game from their western studios?

For my taste Sony’s first party selection this gen has been super disappointing.

I can't speak to your tastes. What should you look forward to? An opportunity to see what's next and see what might float your boat :)

nial

And probably Death Stranding 2.
It's like all but confirmed at this point, and with SIEJA not baving a press conference, all we could have is a playable demo. Yes, a playable demo 6-14 months before release, crazy to think with current SIE.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
April 2019 = Jim Ryan is CEO of SIE.
September 2019 = SIE attends Tokyo Game Show 2019 as a general exhibitor.
So he continued a annual tradition a few months after he was appointed..
Then what happened......
jim carrey GIF

You know theses events and showcases, press conferences, etc is where we really get to see the head of Playstation.
Get to see them really presenting themselves to us.
I honestly don't think he was that inclined and that's why he was a no show.
It makes sense nobody warmed up to him because nobody really saw him except for a the prerecorded messaged that was thin on the ground even with their own showcases for his entire reign.
COVID is the only thing I can excuse him for, but that didn't stop everyone else.

nial

So he continued a annual tradition a few months after he was appointed..
Then what happened......
jim carrey GIF
Well, TGS went digital in 2020 and 2021, and it took them until 2023 to finally have an event in the same scale as it was pre-COVID. I do think TGS 2023 was a missed opportunity for SIE to show up again, but hey, better late than never.
You know theses events and showcases, press conferences, etc is where we really get to see the head of Playstation.
Get to see them really presenting themselves to us.
I honestly don't think he was that inclined and that's why he was a no show.
It makes sense nobody warmed up to him because nobody really saw him except for a the prerecorded messaged that was thin on the ground even with their own showcases for his entire reign.
COVID is the only thing I can excuse him for, but that didn't stop everyone else.
I mean, you wouldn't see him that much, either? Atsushi Morita, president of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (sales and marketing division of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.), was the one who showed up the most over there, Tsuyoshi Kodera, Andrew House, Kazuo Hirai, etc., weren't at the front of any of the TGS press conferences.
It's also like people don't seem to remember that SIE started to disminish their presence on gaming events since late 2018 under Tsuyoshi Kodera, when he told the folks at SIE America to not assist E3 2019, a first in 24 years.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The issue is you're viewing the Pro as though it's meant to be the equivalent jump of a new gen both to devs and consumers - it never was. It's only purpose is an extra option for those who want more within the same gen.

Not gonna type up another lengthy response, suffice it to say, I disagree with such a strategy working or being a benefit to anyone.
But it could be a proper jump. If devs didn’t have to make sure the games run at the OG console.

The rumours talk about a huge jump in GPU power, literally 3x the teraflops, and twice as many CU. Slight boost in CPU power. On paper it’s roughly like Series X versus Series S. And I for one think Series X is a generation above Series S with games usually running at 2x the framerate with much higher resolution and often more graphics features.

And there comes the problem… We’ve heard devs complain about mandatory Series S versions. The next 4 years on Playstation could be like the previous 4 years on Xbox.
Will that benefit everyone? I don’t think so.

But I’m fine if we agree to disagree, we’ll see what happens. The showcase will be super interesting either way. I’m on PC now so my timeline is a bit different, I’m mostly hoping we’ll hear something about updated versions of previous games. FFXVI would be nice, Rebirth too but that’s probably too soon.

Top Bottom