• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Stars Downtime Now Surpassing 2011’s Infamous PSN Outage

Do you care about PlayStation Stars?

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seems PSN in general having issues atm

More free games !

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

that's one of the rewards. you can also get in-game DLC, full games, or just straight PSN credit.

not sure why so many people are in here shitting on a free service that they clearly haven't actually used
Probably because it's never been explained properly, and most people think those icons are just quaint. All we ever see when we hear about PS Stars are those silly things.

Dr.brain64

Service is not running Account management
Service is not running Gaming and social
Service is not running PlayStation Video
Service is not running PlayStation Store​

Affected platforms:
PS4, PS5

Affected services:
You might have difficulty getting products on the PlayStation Store. We're working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Start:
2024-07-01, 10:46 AM

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Probably because it's never been explained properly, and most people think those icons are just quaint. All we ever see when we hear about PS Stars are those silly things.

Bingo, I'm a 2+year PSN subscriber, I couldn't tell you when the Rewards program started and exactly how do you redeem / use it because there's not enough easy to find information about it online.

PanzerCute

If you're going to try and explain it, at least do it properly. You can completely ignore all the "monthly challenges" crap and basically just get money back from every digital purchase you make. It's a great return for doing nothing other than signing up.
I think a lot of people just dont know that. I remember talking about it with a friend online, he then checked the app to notice he had the equivalent of 150 bucks on it...

phant0m

Plus I'm guessing it's only for digital purchases, leaving physical gamers out in the rain...

disappointed standing in the rain GIF
For purchases, yes (shout to Nintendo for letting you earn points from carts tho).

But earning campaign points, monthly challenges, trophies, etc works for any game physical or digital.

Reactions: Isa

Aenima

Plus I'm guessing it's only for digital purchases, leaving physical gamers out in the rain...

disappointed standing in the rain GIF
Pretty much the reason i doubt i will ever get enough points to redeem any PSN credit. I buy my games physical, and only thing i get points from the star program is when i resub the PS+ Extra.

For purchases, yes (shout to Nintendo for letting you earn points from carts tho).

But earning campaign points, monthly challenges, trophies, etc works for any game physical or digital.

Pretty much the reason i doubt i will ever get enough points to redeem any PSN credit. I buy my games physical, and only thing i get points from the star program is when i resub the PS+ Extra.
Honestly I don't use my PS5 enough to earn many credits, and I don't sub to plus (although I probably will when Wilds comes out). My PS5 controller will not fully charge anymore, so I have to spend $75 for a replacement now, and really the only thing I've played on PS5 lately is RE4R, but I got bored with it because I forgot about all those dumb puzzles that slows the pace to a crawl.

mitch1971

Gold Member
It was good for what it was. Extra money for your wallet for buying games is not a negative to me.

Dont go to the PS stars reddit, though, unless you want to see people having breakdowns over digital items; crying over not getting a digital model to adorn there digital shelf on the app.

Last edited:

Aenima

just kill it. these half ass implemented initiative just make the company look even more incompetent.
There was nothing half assed about this. Its a loyaty program thats gives you free money, and you want them to shut it down?
I registered to the program since it launched and always worked great, i just dont make enough digital purchases or engage with the quests they set up to farm enough points. But is a good program.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Gimme that Little Big Planet
I'm sad LBP3 online creations are gone. I don't know what happened that they couldn't recover it but I hope they will one day.

I don't care too much about the Stars program but I do have about 10 bucks in credit I haven't redeemed yet.

Isa

I've been following it, since I switched back to maining PS for now, and having all systems and experience with their rewards programs it does indeed suck. I'm not too upset or anything, but it is fishy and with so long in radio silence does little for their reputation.

Maybe they've bitten off more than they can chew? As more people hopped on perhaps their back end was unable to handle the load(lol), and/or they felt the rewards were too generous but needed time to mend the legal docs. In just this first half of the year I managed to redeem like 120 or more in PSN credit. Granted its still going back to them in some way eventually. I do hope they get it fixed pronto though and their silence as usual gets people speculating which can do a good bit of damage to any brand or rep.

The only comparison to 2011 in the article is the length of time services were down.
Then why even make the comparison?

It's bizarre considering the two things are utterly unrelated.

"This thing has taken the same time as this other completely unrelated thing that just happens to have taken a similar time".... --- as a statement it offers no value or meaningful insight.

Topher

Gold Member
Then why even make the comparison?

It's bizarre considering the two things are utterly unrelated.

"This thing has taken the same time as this other completely unrelated thing that just happens to have taken a similar time".... --- as a statement it offers no value or meaningful insight.

Probably just for effect. It's what these websites do

What is Playstation Stars? Or is it PS All-Stars Battle Royale and it's being abbreviated?

Either way, is this a *yawn* for most people? I feel like I follow the game industry really closely and I've literally never heard of it.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I've gone 9 months without a Playstation 5. Sold it last year. I'm a traitor, the opposite of loyal.
I might get a PS5 PRO if Astrobot withdrawls start creeping in.
Thinking of doing the same tbf, might move to PC fulltime, only used stars a couple of times

Shifty1897

I got $15 in PSN store credit's worth of points in PS Stars and I swear Sony must be trying to figure out a way to keep me from spending it.

• Empathy

phant0m

I got $15 in PSN store credit's worth of points in PS Stars and I swear Sony must be trying to figure out a way to keep me from spending it.
I had $20 that I used on my Stellar Blade pre-order. hope it comes back, was a nice discount!

Rewards program. For every $1000 you spend you get a $5 gift card that you can use to buy some shitty game.

dear lord the willful ignorance here is fucking determined. it's 4% so $1000 would earn straight $40 in credit assuming you did nothing else. but you also earn points & rewards for playing games, earning trophies, doing _specific_ things in certain games/campaigns, etc

also choosing to spend your "$5" on a "shitty game" is on you. it's regular PSN credit you can spend on anything you want.

I like PlayStation Stars, who doesn’t love free money?
apparently half this thread

Last edited:
I had $20 that I used on my Stellar Blade pre-order. hope it comes back, was a nice discount!

dear lord the willful ignorance here is fucking determined. it's 4% so $1000 would earn straight $40 in credit assuming you did nothing else. but you also earn points & rewards for playing games, earning trophies, doing _specific_ things in certain games/campaigns, etc

also choosing to spend your "$5" on a "shitty game" is on you. it's regular PSN credit you can spend on anything you want.
It was a joke, not to be taken seriously. I was also exaggerating. Yes you get rewards but to me its not worth it. Too much work for a little store credit.

The Dark Knight Fun GIF by Bombay Softwares

phant0m

It was a joke, not to be taken seriously. I was also exaggerating. Yes you get rewards but to me its not worth it. Too much work for a little store credit.

The Dark Knight Fun GIF by Bombay Softwares

lol, my bad. sorry -- there were a bunch of folks earlier in the thread claiming it was dumb and useless "just cancel it, who cares"

I care man, I've gotten a free $50ish bucks out of it for doing nothing other than buying and playing games I want. you can too, and it costs nothing.

there's an attitude of Sony throwing gamers are bone yet folks here turn up their nose because it's not a fucking filet mignon.

Last edited:
lol, my bad. sorry -- there were a bunch of folks earlier in the thread claiming it was dumb and useless "just cancel it, who cares"

I care man, I've gotten a free $50ish bucks out of it for doing nothing other than buying and playing games I want. you can too, and it costs nothing.

there's an attitude of Sony throwing gamers are bone yet folks here turn up their nose because it's not a fucking filet mignon.
Its all good man.

I rarely buy games cause i am unable to work. Mostly rent games so it doesn't provide much value to me. I bought God of War Ragnorak, and Granblue Fantasy relink at full price. And have gotten maybe $5 total.

If i was buying a lot of games i can see the value as a free $50 is pretty good.

Points for buying games were being counted behind the scenes still, even though the phone app isn't working/showing anything

Up until very recently you could see them using

https://m.np.playstation.com/api/graphql/v1/op?operationName=metGetPointsHistory&variables={}&extensions={"persistedQuery"%3A{"version"%3A1%2C"sha256Hash"%3A"302481c4156ec3f64332bf4b76251597eb30825a79e2736641737bc3af77755c"}}

But even that seems to be down at the moment. But it was tracking correctly a few days ago when I used it for some cheap games I'd bought on the latest sale

Maybe Sony saw an uptick of people using this backdoor access so fucked with it? Hence the downtime today? They are changing things behind the scenes?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's important to me as of this thread. While the chicken is cooking and rice is steaming, I'm paying attention. Then I have to eat and feed the kids. Playing the Witcher 3 on the Steak Deck after. Maybe the PC.

Portugal and Slovenia in extra time as well. Steam. And Copa American games today too!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Who is even playing that anymore anyway? Just play Smash.

Top Bottom