• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters

Kotaro

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony fanboys are truly delusional. Even Stellar Blade has better combat than God of War or Ghost of Tsushima

Developers who make the best combat mechanic (I'm just talking about melee combat), no shooting, no platforming, no fighting game)

1. From Software
2. Capcom
3. Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja
4. Shift Up (Stellar Blade devs)
5. Wukong devs
6. Lies of P devs
7. maybe some other devs
8. Sony Studios

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
PlayStation exclusives consistently provide some of the best gameplay experiences, combining immersive storytelling, stunning graphics. Neither Nintendo or Microsoft can truly compete with PlayStation when it comes to delivering top-tier gameplay experiences.

I mean, just look at this. Nintendo and Xbox games are nothing more than a fart in the wind. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Scared Ninja Theory GIF by Xbox

The majority of Sony first party do have good gameplay I feel. Best? Nah. Not imo. I think the best gameplay are games like Stellar Blade(not internal studio), Rise of Ronin(not internal), Black Myth Wukong, Tekken 8, Street Fighter 6, Dead or Alive 5 & 6, MGS5, DMC5, Nioh 2, Lies of P, Elden Ring, FF7: Rebirth, Armored Core 6, Granblue Rising, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro, Granblue Relink, RE4: Remake and Yakuza series to name a few. Can’t forget Nintendo game’s gameplay as well.

I think as far as Western-style games go, yes Sony arguably does have the best gameplay. Their games are usually quite polished, have solid gameplay and aren’t filled with the usual jank that plagues other games.

Last edited:
Not this gen for me. They play it too safe. Their games are very polished and look great, but I'm really over it with their formula. If Wolverine ends up being just like another Spidey game mixed with the Uncharted design, I'll likely pass on it.
They have no reason to take risks anymore, which is biting them in the ass as seen with Concord. I think that was a good wake up call , though it will probably take a couple more bombs before they start to take risks on more unique things. Helldivers 2 was great, though I don't think anyone was expecting that one to hit like it did.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree. And, most importantly, they make complete packages.

God of War Ragnarok and TLOU P2 are not just beautiful games. They have a surprisingly deep combat system with amazing animations that make them stand above their peers.

Not to mention games like Returnal which have the absolute best gameplay loop for any game this generation.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I agree. And, most importantly, they make complete packages.

God of War Ragnarok and TLOU P2 are not just beautiful games. They have a surprisingly deep combat system with amazing animations that make them stand above their peers.

Not to mention games like Returnal which have the absolute best gameplay loop for any game this generation.
There much better combat out there though From, Team Ninja, capcom etc. which is what the thread is about

Ill give you Returnal, awesome game. Is that 60 on the base PS5? Should play even better with a Pro patch if so

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Neophyte
It's not weird that i play playstation because i enjoy their games. This is a forum so i thought we are allowed to have discussions about stuff. When i feel like calling them out on their bullshit i also do it. But you do you.
Yes, but you get incredible defensive whenever someone dares to criticise them and it's rather silly. I liked the early 360 days and then they went rubbish, so I picked up a ps3 and enjoyed it enough, so I got a ps4 in the next gen. However, despite them clearly having quality titles, I just wasn't keen on the direction they went, so instead of getting a PS5, I moved to PC.

Point is, people like and dislike different things and they're allowed too. These are businesses trying to sell you products for your money, not your friend.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Everyone will have their own subjective opinion about what is the best game in each mentioned category. Discussion about this subject is not possible, especially on neogaf.

Fahdis

PlayStation exclusives consistently provide some of the best gameplay experiences, combining immersive storytelling, stunning graphics. Neither Nintendo or Microsoft can truly compete with PlayStation when it comes to delivering top-tier gameplay experiences.

I mean, just look at this. Nintendo and Xbox games are nothing more than a fart in the wind. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

That was such a horrible fight to showcase. Missed shots, constant slow mo, horrible aiming by the player. Even I could have done better at showcasing this fight. Jeez, if I was a new player it would almost put me off playing Horizon.

Paasei

I mean RDR2 has shit animations and the gameplay suffers for it.
The gameplay of RDR2 just isn’t very good. I always said that myself. That game, in my mind, does everything right to maybe even perfection.
The gameplay being the only thing it didn’t do right. And that is why I had a hard time finishing the story.

Edit: Pretty much every Rockstar game has this issue. It’s better on a PC where the lock on/aimbot system isn’t a thing. They did it right with Max Payne. Still they never figured out how to bring that over to GTA and RDR.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There much better combat out there though From, Team Ninja, capcom etc. which is what the thread is about
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think FROM's combat is very much over-rated. It's quite simple if you compare it with a game like GOWR or TLOU 2.

I'll give you Nioh though. TeamNinja make very good combat systems.

But my point was that TeamNinja and, say, GOWR, both have very in-depth and excellent combat mechanics. But GOWR has better graphics and animations systems, which makes the combat look even more fluid and just an overall better experience to watch. At least, it does for me.

Having said that, I think the upcoming Chinese games will beat everyone in this area very soon. Phantom Blade already looks amazing.
Ill give you Returnal, awesome game. Is that 60 on the base PS5? Should play even better with a Pro patch if so
Returnal is 60. There isn't even a 30 FPS mode on the PS5. It's just 60. 10/10 game, man. Absolutely marvelous.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling

Sony fanboys are truly delusional. Even Stellar Blade has better combat than God of War or Ghost of Tsushima

Developers who make the best combat mechanic (I'm just talking about melee combat), no shooting, no platforming, no fighting game)

1. From Software
2. Capcom
3. Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja
5. Wukong devs
6. Lies of P devs
7. maybe some other devs
8. Sony Studios
Sounds like someone is a fan of Soulslop and Hack n' Slop...

(Don't take that personally, netbros)

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
At the expense of giving the haters too much easy ammo I'll say infact Days Gone patched at 60fps on ps5 is some of the more top tier gaming you can have in 3rd person and Uncharted 4 is legendary its only a hair below The Last of Us 2
Some of the worst stealth missions in gaming, offline reputation grind for main story progress and camping respawning ressources disqualify Days Gone's gameplay to be anything top tier gaming. Combat was solid though, i liked the huge hordes. Uncharted 4 was walking, talking, few simple brawls + shoot-outs, climbing, driving a Jeep. Gameplay was as basic as it can be. Uncharted 4 wasn't a bad game, but this thread is about the best gameplay/combat.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Devil May Cry 5
Sekiro
Doom Eternal
Bayonetta 3
Monster Hunter Rise
Selaco
Nioh 2
Tekken 8

Just some games I think do it better. That said a lot of Sony games have good combat.

RickSanchez

Not surprising to see arguments breaking out in the thread. Always happens when you try to declare something as "the best" in the world of gaming. It is supposed to be a subjective experience where different people like different things.

So.......no, i don't think Sony games are "the best" at any particular aspect of gaming, including combat. I think they create very very good overall packages that appeal to the average casual gamer. And i say this as an average casual gamer who loves Sony first party games. Their games as a whole are great experiences which combine good stories with straightforward gameplay, fluid animations and pretty graphics.

but, if you consider individual aspects, i'm sure other games do it better. For example:
- Dishonored games or the new Deus Ex games or MGS5 or even Splinter Cell Blacklist do stealth-based encounters far better
- As many in this thread have pointed out, FromSoft does the hack-slash-parry-dodge formula far better
- Baldur's Gate 3 or even Cyberpunk offer great build-based combat
- the Batman Arkham games excel in the beat-em-up + stealth formula
Other people will have differing opinions based on their subjective experiences

examples of gameplay aspects other than combat:
- Skyrim has superb exploration and environmental storytelling
- Prey 2017 has a perfect blend of light RPG mechanics, exploration, subtle story exposition & worldbuilding which results in the best "play your way" immersive sim
- Alien Isolation has an unmatched horror atmosphere, created not through jumpscares, but through sheer tension built by the in-game environment
- RDR2 has the best overall blend of an on-rails story and exploration of a beautiful open world
- Doom 2016 & Eternal have the best modern fast-paced gunplay with a very high skill ceiling
none of the above examples are from Sony

So basically, it is futile to say one publisher does the "best" combat. Yes, Sony's combat is accessible and polished to a high degree that few others can match. But they are not the best. Even for a casual like me.

Last edited:

ap_puff

1. From Software
2. Capcom
3. Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja
5. Wukong devs
6. Lies of P devs
7. maybe some other devs
8. Sony Studios
Um, no. I liked Stellar Blade but its combat was just average.

Three

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 was walking, talking, few simple brawls + shoot-outs, climbing, [rope swinging] , driving a Jeep. Gameplay was as basic as it can be.
So pretty much your character does everything? This is the most reductive downplaying of uncharted gameplay I've ever read. I guess Souls games are bashing things and drinking potions?

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
So pretty much your character does everything? This is the most reductive downplaying of uncharted gameplay I've ever read. I guess Souls games are bashing things and drinking potions?
No skilltree, no items or upgrades, nothing interesting to explore, no secrets, no consumables, no buffs, no crafting, no riddles that deserve the name, no gimmicks, no nothing.

Big part of the Souls gameplay and combat is the enemy design and also in that regard: Uncharted is as basic as it can be.

Not an overall bad experience, but from a gameplay/combat perspective: Yawn.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Neophyte
I did notice on playing it, just how safe uncharted feels. That video highlights it too. You can even try to fall off when platforming and it won't let you.

Trilobit

Gold Member
The worst part of Horizon: Forbidden West is the combat if you exclude bows. No lock-on on enemies and not even a block or parry system. The melee pits were frustrating because of the poor combat mechanics.

It's that uninteresting, he plays it one handed.

I reacted exactly like that when I grabbed the beer, I was like "oh no, I didn't press the drinking button, but was there one? Did they make me choose something I didn't even get to drink? But why?"

Also, that game has some of the absolutely most mind-numbingly boring gameplay I've had the displeasure of playing in over a decade. The shooting sequences are pretty fun, but anything else could have been cut scenes instead.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
No skilltree, no items or upgrades, nothing interesting to explore, no secrets, no consumables, no buffs, no crafting, no riddles that deserve the name, no gimmicks, no nothing.
I'm not sure what you mean there about items or upgrades? So you want it to be an RPG, a completely different game?
Strongly disagree there is exploration and that often results in finding "secret" collectables.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Neophyte
Oh wow he can move and climb slowly with one hand!? Amazing. You can play most slow paced traversal sections of any game like this. Some even play Apex Legends with one hand Apex legends gameplay must be shit

That sound going past your head was the point.

I'm not saying it's a terrible game (don't think anyone is), but it's not great on gameplay. The video highlights some of the things I noticed too. You can even try to fall off when platforming and it will actively try to stop you. I don't think the aiming is very good in it either.

On the point of skill trees etc...I agree with you. Not every game needs them nor should they as it would make a lot of gaming boring if they were all the same. A game like this however, should be encouraging exploration more and be built like a vania to encourage it. It's not though. It's mostly a very linear cinematic experience. It does a good job of being that, but that's it.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
That sound going past your head was the point.

I'm not saying it's a terrible game (don't think anyone is), but it's not great on gameplay. The video highlights some of the things I noticed too. You an even try to fall of when platforming and it will actively try to stop you. I don't think the aiming is very good in it either.
The video you posted of that guy who hates uncharted couldn't shoot for shit and you're suggesting the game plays itself (watch the boat section he tries to play), but wow he can move the stick with one hand when traversing.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
I'm not sure what you mean there about items or upgrades? So you want it to be an RPG, a completely different game?
Strongly disagree there is exploration and that often results in finding "secret" collectables.
The "open world" is an illusion and there is nothing interesting or useful to see or find which is logical If there is no item/upgrade system. I know you are a huge PlayStation fan, but nothing in this world can convince me that Uncharted 4 has good or even fun gameplay or combat and i beat that game. Like i said, overall a nice experience, but not those parts.

RPCGamer

Neophyte
The video you posted of that guy who hates uncharted couldn't shoot for shit and you're suggesting the game plays itself (watch the boat section he tries to play), but wow he can move the stick with one hand.
"Hates uncharted" this is his first time playing it and he was giving his thoughts as he did. That's not a complete opinion. He never states he hates it. If you get anything from this, it's that he's uninterested at best.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
The "open world" is an illusion and there is nothing interesting or useful to see or find which is logical If there is no item/upgrade system. I know you are a huge PlayStation fan, but nothing in this world can convince me that Uncharted 4 has good or even fun gameplay or combat and i beat that game. Like i said, overall a nice experience, but not those parts.

I'm not here to convince you to have another subjective outlook for not enjoying a game that isn't an RPG. I'm here saying there is exploration in the game and finding collectables.

Last edited:
Top Bottom