• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters

Three

Gold Member
"Hates uncharted" this is his first time playing it and he was giving his thoughts as he did. That's not a complete opinion. He never states he hates it. If you get anything from this, it's that he's uninterested at best.
You can still hate something after first playing it. What's the relevance of this? I just said that the video of the person who dislikes it or was bored couldn't shoot for shit.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
It's why I buy their consoles, too bad this gen has sucked. I've played PS4 games way more than anything else. I mean, you mentioned nothing but last gen games besides what, Spider-Man 2? I hope they get back to the good single player games next gen.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Neophyte
You can still hate something after first playing it. What's the relevance of this? I just said that the video of the person who dislikes it or was bored couldn't shoot for shit.
No you didn't. You said he hates it.

Sony must issue out a lot knee pads to you lot. It's okay to not like something completely or take issue with a game and still find it good. You know that, right?

It's a fun cinematic game, but some might understandably not think much of the gameplay. That's it. No drama, so stop going on the defensive.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls trilogy, Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Nioh, Sekiro, Cyberpunk, Halo, Destiny.

To me, those games have gameplay/combat that is amazing, great and something I can go back and keep enjoying.

The thing with Sony games is they're cinematic and to me are more like "lay back and enjoy the story" kind of games, rather than great gameplay, hence constantly calling Sony games a "cinematic experience".

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
No you didn't. You said he hates it.
So your issue is the distinction between dislikes/finds boring and hates?
Sony must issue out a lot knee pads to you lot. It's okay to not like something completely or take issue with a game and still find it good. You know that, right?
So he actually enjoyed the game, Ok?
It's a fun cinematic game, but some might understandably not think much of the gameplay. That's it. No drama, so stop going on the defensive.
Ok so he dislikes the gameplay? What has any of this got to do with my comment though?

You made it out like the game plays itself and you can play one handed. I only said the video of the person (who likes or dislikes it) playing traversal sections one handed was having difficulty actually shooting anything in the main gameplay/combat sections of the game twohanded.

I can traverse one handed in Shadow of the Colossus. Does that mean its gameplay is shit? The "fun" of those sections traversing isn't dexterity and skill but figuring out where you need to go.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Japanese games have the worst combat.

The west and now even China have lapped them.

They are too flashy and rely too much on flash (super over the top fast paced anime style action) over substance.
It's not 2003 anymore

You guys are 300% delusional, imagine playing just in the last year or so Final Fantasy Rebirth, Elden Ring, Rise of the Ronin, Resident Evil 4 remake, etc and then playing garbage like God of War, just the thought is already vomit inducing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I do like SOME of their combat systems more than other more acclaimed games, playing at max difficulty help to make them shine, on normal you don't have to engage with all the mechanics (but thati s true for most games).

I don't agree with some games on your list having exceptional combat like the old uncharted, ratchet or even tsushima tbh.

Also, fuck freeflow combat, it's the saving grace of lazy devs who can't come out with a decent, original combat system.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I find most Sony games better than the sum of their parts.

I think the OP fucked up, most Sony titles feature combat as a part of the whole experience. Of course a pure combat game will have better combat. Bayo, Ninja Gaiden, Nioh etc.

I find most Sony games better than the sum of their parts.

I think the OP fucked up, most Sony titles feature combat as a part of the whole experience. Of course a pure combat game will have better combat. Bayo, Ninja Gaiden, Nioh etc.

IMO he means Sony games in the context of their respective genres. Gameplay is usually played down, there's this fallacy that if a game has strong cinematography, its gameplay sucks. Quite wrong.

For example, GoT in lethal difficulty (its intended difficulty) is tighter and more satisfying than any Ubisoft game.

Likewise, TLOU in survival mode (its intended difficulty) is better than any modern Resident Evil.

Having difficulty settings often plays against the great work they put in refining the gameplay. TLOU played in normal mode is "Uncharted with zombies". The true experience can only be played in the two max settings.

SCB3

In what way?

From soft does the best melee and magic
Bungie has the best shooting from BEFORE Sony buying them
Nintendo with the best platforming

And I could go on, and I like PS games a lot

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude, you listed Horizon as an example of a game with good combat. Sorry, but you have no taste and this isn't subjective.
You listed dogma 2 with his lethargic enemies, zero balancing\challenge as good combat example, like cmon.

The game is a power fantasy at best, not a good action game.

At least in horizon you fight more than 5 type of enemies and they actually fuck you up of you stay still for 2 sec, i bailed out after 40 hours because the game was boringly easy except like one fight in 40 hours (that i still won first try without even knowing what i was doing, the quest where you fight the ghost armour to save the chief of the city guard)

What do you wanna bring on the table to prove that d2 is better than horizon? Scores? Nope, sales? Nope, finding people who like d2? I can find as many people who like horizon.

Saying that who likes horizon combat has no taste is bullshit.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You guys are 300% delusional, imagine playing just in the last year or so Final Fantasy Rebirth, Elden Ring, Rise of the Ronin, Resident Evil 4 remake, etc and then playing garbage like God of War, just the thought is already vomit inducing.
Imagine thinking TLOU 2 doesnt eat RE4's food 3 times a day in combat.

Its 2 generations ahead and does things RE4 can only dream of.

And Elden Ring has garbage combat. Point blank. People think good art direction = good combat :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Japan has been getting washed all gen, and last gen too. Both visually speaking, and in combat.

China is lapping them too in combat with Wukong and soon to be Phantom Blade Zero.

God of War blends action, combat, production value and visuals better than Final Fantasy, Elden Ring and ESPECIALLY Ronin (lmfao)

You guys are delusional here not me lol

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Imagine thinking TLOU 2 doesnt eat RE4's food 3 times a day in combat.

Its 2 generations ahead and does things RE4 can only dream of.

And Elden Ring has garbage combat. Point blank. People think good art direction = good combat :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Japan has been getting washed all gen, and last gen too. Both visually speaking, and in combat.

China is lapping them too in combat with Wukong and soon to be Phantom Blade Zero.

God of War blends action, combat, production value and visuals better than Final Fantasy, Elden Ring and ESPECIALLY Ronin (lmfao)

You guys are delusional here not me lol

TLoU 2 has great combat mechanics but absolutely garbage encounter design and gameplay loop: cutscene, predictable enemy encounter and half an hour scavenging shit ad aeternum for 30 hours, it isn't even in the same universe of RE4R, not even remotely close lol

I will not even bother answering the rest of the post, you live in a parallel universe.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Being hard to play dosent make it better. Melee in Horizon is not that good but is much better in Horizon Forbidden West, the Bow gameplay in Horizon is top tier though for what you expect a bow gameplay to work. It feels intuitive and the diferent arrow types and bows only adds more to it. You have short range, mid range and long range bows in Horizon.
I extensively played the last 2 monster hunters + expansions and both horizons, the horizon games on ultra hard are harder than 98% of what the mh games offer, basically you have to go into fatalis\alatreon territory to find something as hard or harder than some group fights in horizon where multiple machines constantly charge and shot at you with barely any pause, hell i had a fucking fight with SlimySnake SlimySnake about enemies being TOO aggressive in forbidden west, easier my ass.
I admit that alatreon and fatalis are even harder (at least for me) but they are literally the 2 last enemies they added to the expansion, without them the games are easier than the horizons even if the combat\controls are way harder to digest\click, horizon has more arcadey controls.

Maybe danjin is the greatest horizon player and i'm the shittiest mh player because our experience are very different.

P.s. fucking lmao at nintendo having the best combat or being even close to the top :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

PJX

Naughty Dog and Santa Monica literally 💩 on everyone else in these categories, graphics too so yes not even close
spiderman GIF

FUBARx89

Naughty Dog games have abysmal combat. The shooting just feels awful in most of the games they do. The saving grace for TLOU was stealth and passable, but basic as shit melee. Cause shooting felt crap in both of them an all.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They do a better job than most, up there with the best, especially for western developers.

GOT, Horizon, Spiderman. - Better combat than 90% of open world games not called Batman. Theres not much between Batman and Spiderman. Batman hasnt aged better thats for sure
TLOU2 - Amazing combat and Melee, waaay better than the first, probably amongst the best Ive played
GOW - 2018 - Ragnarok- All Top Quality
Returnal - Excellent and addictive
Bungie - Great gunplay

Games at the same level - Sekiro (my favourite) MGS5, Resident Evil, DMC, Gears, Batman, Sleeping Dogs, Doom, Team Ninja.

PS games that lack the combat and quality of above. Days Gone
Thread shows alot of people have no taste lol

brenobnfm

They do a better job than most, up there with the best, especially for western developers.

GOT, Horizon, Spiderman. - Better combat than 90% of open world games not called Batman. Theres not much between Batman and Spiderman. Batman hasnt aged better thats for sure
TLOU2 - Amazing combat and Melee, waaay better than the first, probably amongst the best Ive played
GOW - 2018 - Ragnarok- All Top Quality
Returnal - Excellent and addictive
Bungie - Great gunplay

Games at the same level - Sekiro (my favourite) MGS5, Resident Evil, DMC, Gears, Batman, Sleeping Dogs, Doom, Team Ninja.

PS games that lack the combat and quality of above. Days Gone
Thread shows alot of people have no taste lol
There isnt a western game worthy of licking Sekiro’s boots

Vick

Gold Member
Naughty Dog games have abysmal combat. The shooting just feels awful in most of the games they do. The saving grace for TLOU was stealth and passable, but basic as shit melee. Cause shooting felt crap in both of them an all.
Obviously.

Your competitive Multiplayer modes based on shooting can only last 11 years (Factions) and 8 years-still-going (Uncharted 4) by having abysmal combat with feeling awful shooting.

Obviously.

Your competitive Multiplayer modes based on shooting can only last 11 years (Factions) and 8 years-still-going (Uncharted 4) by having abysmal combat with feeling awful shooting.
Any numbers on those.

You could’ve claimed Concord was successful a decade later if Sony didn’t pulled it off market.

Vick

Gold Member
Any numbers on those.
There's likely more players on Uncharted 4 Multi or original Factions (2014) right now than they are on Halo: Infinite on Steam and Xbox combined.

You can get into a complete Deathmatch in 1-3 minutes wait at max in both of those.

You could’ve claimed Concord was successful a decade later if Sony didn’t pulled it off market.
Maybe. If I was as retarded as this sentence is.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Everybody does this with games they like. It's the easiest way to "show" what they're talking about.
eh, i don't. I know there are way more factors at play. Unless its to showcase specific mechanics of course.
Audio-visuals are cornerstone of the gameolay experience.
No. They're part of it, sure, but not a cornerstone. A super great gun feel with awesome feedback will still grow stale and boring if the levels are simplistic and the enemies are all the same.
Getting into the nitty-gritty often doesn't get as much engagement, and seem not to get through as easily anyway. I can and have talked about the fact that TLOU2's player mechanics almost perfectly suit the characters and environments they inhabit; about how the degree of resource management integrates into the scarcity of the world; how the stealth and combat suit AI behaviors and capabilities, and can be constantly played around with. But some people treat it like I'm speaking Tagalog, and still come away with "sinemadick VeeFXxx!!"
Honestly, just constantly breaking the supposedly great combat with long story sequences that are just boring and terrible, already counts as bad gameplay in my book.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not about who does prone shooting better , or about the amount of tools, lol. It's about the way the enemies adapt to your strategies, it's about the feeling of actual encounters with some sort of inteligent, survival oriented enemies.
The more you use the same tactics in V, the more enemies "learn" you, at a level that's basically unprecedented (F.E.A.R displayed similar adaptability but on a much smaller, much more immediate manner).
I mean, try making a habit in headshooting your enemies and you'll see how they slowly change their equipment and positioning to counter your habbits (in this case bullet resistent helmets and much less exposure to sniping) or try using a smoke grenade more than a couple of times in the Quiet battle and before long she will start shooting them in mid air for Crist's sake.
Until Tlou does shit like this, it's not in the same universe as V, sorry.
That's not IA, it's just an in-game script.

You do too many headshot and the game provide the helmets in the next missions, it's not like you see the soldiers receaving a radio message from a base you already conquered and they run to the wharehouse to physically wear the helmets.

It's the same thing as shadow of war where if you use too many times the same move, it become useless against that enemy, it's not IA, just a predetermined script that turn on after something happen, the orcs don't get smarter, it's just an on\off switch, it's hard to explain.

You also get enemies with armours and helmets in both tlou games the more you go forward in the story, but it's still not IA, just the game naturally getting harder.

But i guess that what enter the realm of AI can be more broad for some people so i'm not gonna insist further on this.

And before you reply, i'm not the biggest fan of tlou2 IA neither, i think they have the best smoke and mirrors to make look the enemies smart, but the enemies are still as suicidal and dumb as most games.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
There's no way to know active numbers.

Currently 900 users on Infinite on Steam, no idea how many on Xbox. 40+ Million people played Uncharted 4 (37 million as of May 2021) which is double what Infinite managed on two platforms while being on GamePass even, and 5+ millions bought Lost Legacy.

Only way to measure how active a PS Multiplayer mode is to check how much it takes to find players. Both Factions (2014) and Uncharted 4 (2016) are active enough right now you can find a match in 1-3 minutes.

Not even sure what contribute an Xbox player could bring to this Thread to begin with, but ok.

According to this poll one out of three people in GAF are absolutely bananas. And to be honest, is a lower count that one’d thought.
To get a better picture, we would also have to consider how many of those 2 out 3 voters are Xbox-Only, PC-Only, Nintendo-Only gamers who never played these games to begin with.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
What expected to bow to feel like I’m using bow not a gun. Also it about learning curve Bow has in MH which makes it fun to learn.
None of the 2 games have realistic bows, lmao, in mh you have different damage if you move a couple of cm behind the perfect range and bows have way higher range than that, let alone all the freedom they take on other things.

IF you wanna play "realistic" bow, you have to play realistic games like rdr2 or tlou2 or even far cry, not stuff where you can use a freakin dragonpiercer, none of this feel like a real bow unless you only saw bows in anime :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And you know how much i love MH.

show

Last edited:

Radical_3d

But who is more bananas? The people actually believing this or the "me see PlayStation, me like" fanboys?
They are the same picture.
To get a better picture, we would also have to consider how many of those 2 out 3 voters are Xbox-Only, PC-Only, Nintendo-Only gamers who never played these games to begin with.
That’s true. It’s a relieve to know the banana count could be what one expects from GAF.

There's no way to know active numbers.

Currently 900 users on Infinite on Steam, no idea how many on Xbox. 40+ Million people played Uncharted 4 (37 million as of May 2021) which is double what Infinite managed on two platforms while being on GamePass even, and 5+ millions bought Lost Legacy.
QhzChjA.jpeg

Only way to measure how active a PS Multiplayer mode is to check how much it takes to find players. Both Factions (2014) and Uncharted 4 (2016) are active enough right now you can find a match in 1-3 minutes.
Dunno how much you play online, but 1-3 minutes wait time means its dead.

Could be anywhere from 50-400.

Not even sure what contribute an Xbox player could bring to this Thread to begin with, but ok.
Not sure what you mean by this. This is gameplay related thread.

All successful xbox games are gameplay focused.

Vick

Gold Member
Dunno how much you play online, but 1-3 minutes wait time means its dead.
3 minutes at max, meaning difficult hours/days.

For a game 11 years old, and 8 years old. Let's see how Infinite fares in 2033.

Could be anywhere from 50-400.
Yeah, I am sure 50 people out of 40+ million are playing the game.

Not sure what you mean by this. This is gameplay related thread.

All successful xbox games are gameplay focused.
No it isn't. This is a combat Thread. If anything, you should provide examples of better combat found in Xbox games than what OP listed. But before citing Hellblade 2 or Starfield, you would first need to have an idea of what they're up against.

Last edited:

sainraja

Good game animation is about make animation look good but with limited frame, because you need take out some in between animation in order make it more responsive which games like RDR2 completely fails at.
Sure and we can critique that. Having animations alone shouldn't be a negative.

IAmRei

PlayStation exclusives consistently provide some of the best gameplay experiences, combining immersive storytelling, stunning graphics. Neither Nintendo or Microsoft can truly compete with PlayStation when it comes to delivering top-tier gameplay experiences.

I mean, just look at this. Nintendo and Xbox games are nothing more than a fart in the wind. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

Your views are so small, i'm sorry, but that's the truth.

I agree with this for TLoU2 (on Grounded), maybe GoW (2018) and Ghost of Tshushima (fun factor) but in general Sony games are not gameplay driven at all, the combat is nothing exemplary, it's just good, polished fun, a visual spectacle and having some of the best animators, the combat is very fluid.

Sony/Playstation crown jewel for combat is TLoU 2 on grounded mode.

Others, however, do not come close to FromSoft titles, Team Ninja's Nioh series, Capcom's RE, Monster Hunter, DMC, Monolith's FEAR & Mordor/War, Techland's Dying Light, most Nintendo Mario/Zelda titles, Kojima's MGSV, DOOM's shooting/gun feel, Titanfall's/CoD's/Battefield's movement and gunplay, Ready or Not's ultra realistic violence, Ubisoft's AC & FC series have better gunplay-freedom-mission-approach than most Sony titles, even Rockstar's decent combat gets elevated due it's grand, intricately designed world.

Hell, indies such as Hollow Knight, Celeste, Neon White, Animal Well, Pizza Tower and many more have unique movements and innovative gameplay.

To each their own. Personally I find the combat in Horizon to be monotonous and shallow. It’s more of a visual pleasure than good combat. Spider-Man is literally Arkham Batman combat. Haven’t played Ghosts yet so won’t comment on that.

Last of Us 2 does have amazing combat but I could easily say Halo is just as good or better. They just do different things.

Also Fortnite, Apex, WarZone etc must have amazing gameplay because people have been playing them for YEARS. What puts those games you listed above something like Mario Kart 8, which has also sold millions upon millions and is a great game?

Three

Gold Member
Don't blame OP, his taste is a result of design by committee..

I'm eagerly waiting for his next threads "Netflix/Disney/Apple make the best movies", and "McDonalds make the best cuisine".
Got to love the people who liked this comment also liking the comment about GaaS games having the best gameplay. As if your Fortnite, Fifa, Minecraft, COD etc aren't the Marvel/Mcdonalds of the gaming software world. Fine cuisine that sure is. Not design by committee at all.

Last edited:
They do some of the best imo, and other devs also makes some great games, CDPR are fantastic to my taste and enjoyed all the games i bought from them, 4A and their Metro games are excellent, especially Exodus, Hell even Dambuster made the best first person zombies game imo- Dead Island 2, so there's alot of talent out there but i do agree that in my favourite games there's many Sony games and that's why i will get any main Sony console unless something unusual will happen.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Others, however, do not come close to FromSoft titles, Team Ninja's Nioh series, Capcom's RE, Monster Hunter, DMC, Monolith's FEAR & Mordor/War, Techland's Dying Light, most Nintendo Mario/Zelda titles

FromSoft games do not have good combat, they have good combat encounters which is a different thing. In fact those games are extremely janky with limited mechanics. People love them for other reasons but combat mechanics is something this series has issues with

Same with MonsterHunter and RE - why are these games listed as top tier combat? They are not.

Zelda has never had good combat either, and it’s non existent in Mario.

As a major studios go, Sony does a good job and I do like a lot of their games. But Nintendo is on a whole other level compared to any other major publisher if you put variety of good gameplay into account.

It's one thing to dislike Sony's games.

But to say they lack depth or are barely playable movie games is so retarded to the point of parody.

Some of you aren't this fucking stupid surely?!
Either your

1. Trolling.
2. Haven't played them.
3. A genuine idiot.

If anything it could be argued that they have become to complex or bloated mechanics wise.

E.g. the amount of combat options you have in Horizon Forbidden West in the end game is enormous to the point of being overwhelming. The same is true for Ragnarok to a lesser extent.

Critique them all you like but don't be a fucking moron.

Is this one of those "great gameplay" where the gameplay being refered to is the number of gore-pixels in the half-exploded head of the enemy?

You know, the one where someone comes and shows you "how great the gameplay is" by sharing 15 different gifs showing all the variety of blood splatters the game has.
This is a good post.

I think how a games combat feels and looks is very important for some players. (Arkham fanboys!)

More important than other factors like depth, complexity and variety.

There's nothing wrong with this necessarily.

Famipan

Exactly, Bend Studios with help from Playstation Studios managed to develop an extremelly satisfying gameplay in Days Gone.

I think making nice animations is key to great gameplay.

The animation team did really well although some of them were fresh with experience from working with film animation/FX.

Top Bottom