• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
I have a buddy asking to borrow the psvr (and the ps4 lol) cause he promised his wife and wants her to try it with all her cousins and stuff lol.

This is getting mainstream!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The processing box sends shit colour depth, so you get a lot of banding even when not using VR.
Yup, that's it.

Low color depth, likely poor 4K support, no HDR support etc

Basically, if you're using a higher end Tv, your picture quality will suffer even using a stock PS4. With the Pro, it gets worse.

If you want top picture quality, then, you must bypass the PSVR box.

So if I want to play Mafia 3 later I should just unplug the HDMI from the processor box and put it back into the TV?
That's what I'm doing, yes.

...but it depends on your TVs capabilities. I do get additional color banding when using 8-bit mode (what the PSVR unit passes) that is visible on the PS4 front end.

I have a buddy asking to borrow the psvr (and the ps4 lol) cause he promised his wife and wants her to try it with all her cousins and stuff lol.

This is getting mainstream!
i hope so..it's a really fun way to play, all VR needs is support and steady improvement and it could be a really popular genre IMO.

...but it depends on your TVs capabilities. I do get additional color banding when using 8-bit mode (what the PSVR unit passes) that is visible on the PS4 front end.

Interesting...

I guess I assumed if the VR Headset was turned off then the PS4 would function as normal, but it is still be routed through the breakout box so I can see where you're coming from.

I have a 4K Bravia with HDR so I'll probably just run the HDMI to the TV when not using VR just for peace of mind.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is 10-bit so ubiquitous as sources that your TV can make 8-bit look bad or is the PS4 doing something more to fuck the image up?

My TV only does 8-bit and I haven't noticed a color difference.

(That is not to say the PU isn't garbage when we're looking at HDR and 4K and the Pro coming out and having those two things be major features.)

Yup, that's it.

Basically, if you're using a higher end Tv, your picture quality will suffer even using a stock PS4. With the Pro, it gets worse.

Are you serious? The PSVR processing unity doesn't send an HDR signal?

I have an AV receiver that i plug all my sources into, inside a media cabinet. It would be totally unfeasible for me to unplug everything to disconnected the PSVR processing unit when i want my (soon to arrive) PSPro to send an HDR signal.

is there no way around this?

joebruin

I have an AV receiver that i plug all my sources into, inside a media cabinet. It would be totally unfeasible for me to unplug everything to disconnected the PSVR processing unit when i want my (soon to arrive) PSPro to send an HDR signal.

its in the utlimate FAQ they posted :(

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.

However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

This is not meant to be a troll response, but really you either buy a switch (Will add lag) or you buy 2 PSPRO. There has to be a technical reason for this they haven't revealed.

crimilde

Banned
Ooh. Let me know what you think. :)

I own gunjack on the gear. Cool setting, straightforward gun-emplacement gameplay. Pretty flashy on the Gear at least as well.

Thanks for the Gunjack info!
I'll definitely let you know. :D Going to jump into it tomorrow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is not meant to be a troll response, but really you either buy a switch (Will add lag) or you buy 2 PSPRO. There has to be a technical reason for this they haven't revealed.
More like a monetary reason. It would increase the cost of the processing unit both from an engineering and component perspective.

Wallach

Not that we've heard so far.

After my first couple days with this device I may wind up choosing 4k w/ HDR over this and selling it on. Between the tracking and the annoying wired audio I'm sort of at my limit with inconvenience I'm wiling to put up with.

Apt101

There were, of course, no launch bundles to be found in my area but BestBuy had two headsets left and were selling all of the components of the bundle for $499. I also picked up the Batman game because it's $20 and Batman, so why the hell not.

My Move controllers are charging now. I have to do some things but tonight I am diving in.

Edit: and I had to rearrange the living room furniture.... man I wish that cable was just two feet longer.

Female to Female HDMI coupler.

Unplug both HDMI cables only from your PSVR PU, connect them together with the coupler. This way you don't have to touch anything on the TV or receiver.

They are a couple bucks on Amazon.

rafaelr

The tutorial is basically endless :) there is one trophy to grab and that's about it, unless you want to post a score to the leaderboard.

The 'in situ' levels are about wide open exploration- you learn to anticipate where food will appear (think caves, grottos, and near other organisms) and can quickly start to maximize your score. This is with the secondary goal of increasing your potential search radius, so that you can find the hidden organisms in each stage.

The 'ex vivo' stages are all about survival. Food is everywhere, but predatory organisms are ever present to chase you down, modifying the challenge to something a bit more thrilling.

:) things are purposefully obtuse to force players to explore, and give players a greater sense of the challenge associated with discovery (there aren't always helping hands) though I realize it isn't for everyone.

Interesting take on the calibration stage - we are looking into simply eliminating the floor/ceiling backdrop, then,since that seems to be the only thing causing some people discomfort at this point. It definitely goes away once you have your VR legs though :)

thanks for the tips, i think i´m starting to get the hang of it. lasted till the end of the simulation in the soil level. had a couple of nice little chase sequences with other organisms as well, that was neat.

also, since i didn´t pay for the game and enjoyed it so far and i had some amazon giftcard balance left,
here´s a US PSN code, if another gaffer would like to try this game:

quote to reveal

Mendrox

Two short reviews from me:

Viva Ex Vivo

Thanks again for the code m0dus! My first level was the tutorial and I was little bit confused because it felt a bit different. As soon as I tried Blood I knew that I felt like I was swimming. :D Didn't feel really sick only at the begining a little bit. Fun game, but I have to learn to use the whole controls somehow. I have problems controlling it. :(

Summer Lesson

After all these threads I spend a few bucks because my japanese account still had a few yen in it from Dark Souls 3 release. Felt unreal. Only thing that put me of a little bit was the resolution, but I immediately did a whole playthrough even though I only wanted to see her a bit first. Heard music with her which really made me nervous in real life because it felt a bit too real. Also showed me pictures which was also really cool.

jrcbandit

thanks for the tips, i think i´m starting to get the hang of it. lasted till the end of the simulation in the soil level. had a couple of nice little chase sequences with other organisms as well, that was neat.

also, since i didn´t pay for the game and enjoyed it so far and i had some amazon giftcard balance left,
here´s a US PSN code, if another gaffer would like to try this game:

quote to reveal

Taken if no one has beaten me to it, thanks! It worked, can't wait to try it. Bought a ton of VR launch games so was going to wait until November to buy any more games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Unplug both HDMI cables only from your PSVR PU, connect them together with the coupler. This way you don't have to touch anything on the TV or receiver.

whoa! Great idea.

rafaelr

Yup, that's it.

damn, just found this out, my sony w900a used to say "1080p 12bi"t (dunno why 12?) for input info, now with the psvr box it just says "1080p". this sucks!

i think i still have a hdmi splitter around somewhere, gonna try if that makes a difference but i doubt it since it´s from about 2009.

why did sony have to go extra cheap on the processing box?!

Majmun

I was thinking about Portal and how cool it would be in VR. Going through portals should be quite an experience in VR.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Going around and covering others' eyes from behind is probably my favorite thing about Sports Bar, this game is the best

Wouldn't you throw up like 20 times in 10 minutes?

Remove the speed or going from standing to falling and it shouldn't be much of a problem for the majority of people. locomotion would be the primary issue going by other games. Though I hope future games have options available for people who can handle the more intense side of VR as to me they are the most enjoyable by a long way rather than make all games only for those with the lowest threshold. I was really disappointed when I flipped a car in Driveclub VR and it blacked out, I wanted to roll with it, I have intentionally done far more nausea inducing moves in EVE:V and I find it ridiculously good fun.

Man, I'll continue to praise it: RIGS IS AWESOME
Had a killstreak to turn the tides in my second online match and bring in the W!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENz6a_uZ9Q

Check it out if you're wondering how this game plays. You can also hear my enthusiasm at the end. ;)

Here's little description of the RIG I'm using in the video:

The "Vampiric Hunter" RIG allows you to move swiftly in tight spaces only accessible to hunter RIGs. It's equipped with the "beam" weapon type (which is exactly what you'd expect) and when you take down an enemy your health is regenerated to full.

AVWHQrFap5taU.gif

Get shot of the anit-chunder ui bit and go full headtracking. :)

Orbis

Managed to reserve a PSVR and camera from Argos (UK) for tomorrow, but can't find the Move controllers, out of stock literally everywhere. I'll survive without them for now but any tips on where might have them in stock?

Ozorov

Managed to reserve a PSVR and camera from Argos (UK) for tomorrow, but can't find the Move controllers, out of stock literally everywhere. I'll survive without them for now but any tips on where might have them in stock?
They're out of stock in sweden also. But it looks like they will come this week. The Twin pack one

DukeBobby

Well, Here They Lie has made me feel a bit ill. I was fine during the demo, but I was starting to feel nauseous 15 minutes into the full game.

Hopefully, I'll get used to it, otherwise that's £14 down the drain.

As long as the cable is HDMI 2.0a that will do the job, might be worth getting a half decent quality cable though, not just any old cheap crap, well I wouldn't anyway.

DjRalford

Have a look round some cash converters and the like, they usually have stuff like that on the cheap.

hmm looks like i will just have the PSVR set up with my normal ps4 and when the PSPro arrives i'll use that one in the media center.

Fuck all the disconnecting and degraded picture quality.

WTF are sony up to with releasing a breakout box that doesn't support HDR a month before they release a console that has HDR support as one of the main features.

Bewildering stuff.

ChuckNyce

Ok GAF, so far I've picked up Batllezone and Driveclub VR (enjoyed the demo and was only $20 since I'm a season pass owner). I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up Batman tonight but I'm trying to decide between either Rigs or EVE. The Rigs demo didn't grab me at first, but I've replayed it a couple times and I'm starting to come around on it. The sense of scale is really cool and I can see it being enjoyable once I learn the ins and outs. Battlezone is my "cockpit combat game" but I've heard generally positive things about EVE and I feel like I might need some space shooting in my life....please halp!

I'll likely end up just buying both, PSVR and this damn thread are going to bankrupt me...:)

hmm looks like i will just have the PSVR set up with my normal ps4 and when the PSPro arrives i'll use that one in the media center.

WTF are sony up to with releasing a breakout box that doesn't support HDR a month before they release a console that has HDR support as one of the main features.

Bewildering stuff.

To sell you a HDR breakout box a few months later.

Hasney

Bewildering stuff.

The only issue with that is that they're already talking VR upgrades in terms of being able to add more AA and higher resolutions down sampled.

Ok GAF, so far I've picked up Batllezone and Driveclub VR (enjoyed the demo and was only $20 since I'm a season pass owner). I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up Batman tonight but I'm trying to decide between either Rigs or EVE. The Rigs demo didn't grab me at first, but I've replayed it a couple times and I'm starting to come around on it. The sense of scale is really cool and I can see it being enjoyable once I learn the ins and outs. Battlezone is my "cockpit combat game" but I've heard generally positive things about EVE and I feel like I might need some space shooting in my life....please halp!

I'll likely end up just buying both, PSVR and this damn thread are going to bankrupt me...:)

Riiiigs. Eve is alright, but man, Rigs is such a blast, much more than the demo.

To sell you a HDR breakout box a few months later.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have a gaming PC and just accept the insane cost of always wanting to be at the fore front of tech.

It's getting as bad in the console space when you factor in needing to replace AV receivers, tv's etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom