• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys feel about Scavengers Odyssey and Danger Ball?

Don't see them mentioned too often here.
Scavenger was cool, would love a $20 full version of that. Danger Ball is a cool mini game. I can see myself going back to try and win a tournament. Love how it changes the ball rules after every oponent.

Codiox

EVE Valkyrie retail buyers:

If you didn't get the founders pack like it said on the package you can chat with the Sony support and they will give you a code for it.

That's what I've done. Took me about 5 minutes.

Playing EVE Valkyrie since Monday and still can't get enough of it. The immersion is still so crazy. So amazing flying next to a planet that's soo fucking huge.

If no man's sky released for psvr, I think it would have saved it.

Also I tried the calibration with closing one eye and turn the headset till you see sharp and again with the other eye and it made my view almost perfect. It really helps.

kinggroin

Banned
It's an effect of moving closer but it makes it easier to fall out of the sweet spot especially when needing to stand. It got harder each time for me too, I no longer focus on the game, instead I'm focused on if I'm drifting/pulsing or not. It's taken its toll and I've settled on returning unfortunately. I bought a few games, but I got a lot of use out of them.

Ugh, that's disheartening.

I hope there's a camera revision. I'll buy it ASAP.

Here's my mini-review for Sports Bar.

Pool and Air Hockey are both fantastic and work extremely well. Pool in particular feels so freaking awesome with the dual Move controller setup. I play a decent amount of Pool in real life and was really happy with how well the VR version feels like the real thing. I will definitely be spending hours upon hours playing 8 & 9 Ball, and would recommend the purchse to anyone who loves Virtual Pool.

Darts and Skee-Ball on the other hand are both janky as hell. Darts is flat out broken in my opinion as there never seems to be any consistency as to how your throw will go. Sometimes it works well and goes where you expect, and other times the dart just falls straight to the ground. Skee-Ball is slightly better but the physics are pretty bad for "rolling" the ball like you're supposed too.

Personally I think the Pool and Air Hockey are good enough to make up for the parts that don't work so well. Hopefully they can patch the game to make Darts playable, but I'm happy with the purchase as is.

PSVR is going to save the PS4 in Japan.

I unlocked the Harley Quinn model in Arkham VR last night and sadly spent WAY too long interacting with it. Quickly switched to killer croc when I heard my gf come in; summer lesson is going to be trouble, I can feel it.
How hard is it to unlock that model, or others? Is there a guide?

I love how the models eyes follow you around. So cool.

panda-zebra

Made a Hong Kong PSN account and grabbed the demo disc from there - it's got 3 titles mine doesn't have so might be worth a download for some as all are in English if you set your account up correctly. Not sure if it's widely known so will write a few words here, links are some random yt channel.

O! My Genesis - God game using Moves, the world is in front of you, spin it around, make stuff grow, watch your little creatures breed and protect them from meteors and predators. Fun stuff.

Ace Banana - Use Moves to shoot monkeys with bow and arrow. Janky as fuck but entertaining in a weird way, not least of which the voiceover that seems to have been done via google translate and text-to-speech lol

Mortal Blitz - Interesting stuff, a twin Move shooter using blink to teleport once you've cleared an area/segment. Really tidy graphics and looks great when you're being rushed by the bad guys. Give yourself a good play area and you can use cover nicely.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I really get the sense that the wobble is a distance from the camera and/or angle thing because when I am seated for games and playing 5 feet away I get no wobble (and less drift although still some). But when I have to stand for Arkham VR/Job Sim (and you have to generally stand a bit further away than I sit to fit the tracking calibration for Arkham VR), the minor wobbling begins.

To be fair, for me at least it's more immersion breaking than actually game breaking (I finished Arkham VR fine). In Arkham it is obvious on things like the piano at the beginning, which can jitter a bit instead of being fully stable. For me at least I have little issue with the move controllers and more with the world jitter.

ABSOLUTELY 100% the bolded! I noticed some world wobble for the first time last night playing The Heist during the shoot out. Now that I read your post it might have been because I was like 8 feet from the camera, because I thought I needed a bunch of space.

I'm going to move the camera closer and angle the camera up a little.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ace Banana - Use Moves to shoot monkeys with bow and arrow. Janky as fuck but entertaining in a weird way, not least of which the voiceover that seems to have been done via google translate and text-to-speech lol
Oh nice, I wanted a shooting game that was colorful and them having a demo is nice to see if it's fun.

Will also move the cam closer for games where I can like Rigs/Battlezone

For games where you need arms like Until Dawn and Job Sim, I've noticed tracking greatly improves with arms at sides and the moment you bring them up, not even in front of your goggles, tracking on the headset begins to diminish ever so slightly.

Depending on how the camera "reads" the image, aperture may close a bit with bright lights causing the viewed brightness of headset LEDs to diminish to the camera, making them appear they are moving in/out - just my guess

I would assume where viewing a controller is unnecessary like Battlezone, sitting close enough so the controller isn't being seen may improve tracking.

Truthfully, all the components are there that need to be tracked but I feel the camera is the weakest link here. Sony should have developed a special camera to track for VR.

Here's my mini-review for Sports Bar.

Pool and Air Hockey are both fantastic and work extremely well. Pool in particular feels so freaking awesome with the dual Move controller setup. I play a decent amount of Pool in real life and was really happy with how well the VR version feels like the real thing. I will definitely be spending hours upon hours playing 8 & 9 Ball, and would recommend the purchse to anyone who loves Virtual Pool.

Darts and Skee-Ball on the other hand are both janky as hell. Darts is flat out broken in my opinion as there never seems to be any consistency as to how your throw will go. Sometimes it works well and goes where you expect, and other times the dart just falls straight to the ground. Skee-Ball is slightly better but the physics are pretty bad for "rolling" the ball like you're supposed too.

Personally I think the Pool and Air Hockey are good enough to make up for the parts that don't work so well. Hopefully they can patch the game to make Darts playable, but I'm happy with the purchase as is.

I am surprised to hear about people having issues with Skee-Ball. It worked well for me. Darts was a mess though.

Ogni-XR21

I want this for sports. Let me watch a basketball game from courtside or a hockey game from the bench. It would be cool to be able to look to your side and see your favourite athletes doing their thing.

Don't know if already mentioned (didn't read everything after your post) but I'm really hoping they bring NextVR to PSVR. A few months back I read somthing about it coming, but can't find anything right now.

Wait, London Studio didn't shut down? Wasn't there a studio that did VR stuff that just shut down a couple months ago? Was it just Evolution? I thought it was another Vita/BigBig situation. I'm getting all of my defunct Sony studios confused :/
London Studios had layoffs. Evolution was shut down but then Codemasters picked them up.

BadHand

Don't know if already mentioned (didn't read everything after your post) but I'm really hoping they bring NextVR to PSVR. A few months back I read somthing about it coming, but can't find anything right now.

Couldn't they just update the PS4's Live Events Viewer?

I'm hoping for next year's E3 / PlayStation Experience this year to be in VR.

crimilde

Banned
Just played my first session.

Setup was super quick, no drifting or tracking issues. The most challenging was focusing the image, I wear glasses (I'm short-sighted) and it took a while to get a clear image. The problem is I can see light from the bottom of the headset since I need it pushed a bit upwards on my face to focus stuff, especially text. I measured the IPD and everything too. Might need to fiddle with this a bit more.

Tried Playroom VR (Robots Rescue is AMAZING), Driveclub (not really impressed, after the initial wow moment of stepping into the car), Harmonix (oh my god it's so good!), Ocean Descent and RIGS (love it though I suck pretty bad).

I'm waiting for the Moves to charge now and I'll dive into Rush of Blood a bit later.

All in all, very satisfied, and I'm not feeling any motion sickness whatsoever. My eyes do sting a bit though, because of all the out of focus stuff at the beginning.

I really really love this headset and I'm very glad I took the plunge and bought one for myself. It's really incredible. The lower res definitely doesn't bother me anymore after a few minutes, except for Driveclub. That one's pretty bad.

Until now I bought Thumper, VEV and Harmonix. I probably won't have enough money to spend on more games this month, but I'm thinking about purchasing Rez too when I get the next paycheck.

Has anyone bought Gunjack or does anyone know how it fares?

So how are people handling storage? Are people disconnecting their headsets from the extension cable after every session or do they leave it plugged in?

As much as I'm adoring PSVR right now, I can't stand the extra cables and clutter sitting in the living room after wrapping up, so I disconnect the headset and put it away separately. I hope this won't wear out the HDMI slots. Anyone know?

How hard is it to unlock that model, or others? Is there a guide?

I love how the models eyes follow you around. So cool.

There's a match game where you unlock a square every time you solve a riddler clue, find a riddler box, etc. Potentially, you can pick the order in which you unlock them if your timing is down, but I just clicked whatever as I was going to unlock them all, regardless. Croc's is super intense.

Storm360

Quick question about Job Sim/Batman VR etc, is there a way to move the play area slightly forward? Where it is now isn't really the greatest spot....

Tried Thumper demo today and hot damn it really is mental, loving it! Thought I'd faint playing it but I had no problem ;)

Then Rush of Blood, brilliant game, good addition to the Until Dawn franchise!

Edit: PSVR ad during Champions League game.

Hwoar

How does this compare to gear Vr? I would expect it to be alot more comfortable and fun? What about technically? Gear vr does annoy me because texts etc in the main navigation only seem to be semi clear and readable after alot of setup and then looking directly at it.

joebruin

Bestbuy Bundle Deal:

Buy the PlayStation VR, PlayStation camera, and the PS Move motion controllers below and save $60. Plus, save $10 on each game you select from the list below.

Note that there are some non-digital versions (Batman, Until Dawn, etc.). For those versions it stacks with GCU for an even bigger discount. $7.99 for the $19.99 MSRP titles.

It doesn't start becoming a deal unless you're planning on picking up several of the cheaper games though.
I really wish that offer included the $500 bundle, as well. I bought quite a few games from Best Buy and would love to get the $5 in savings refunded to me. Haha!

For those Until Dawn players, how do you avoid arm fatigue? The game basically instructs the player to nearly fully extend out their arms and that is no easy task after 10 minutes of doing it non-stop. :p

LiK

Bestbuy Bundle Deal:

Buy the PlayStation VR, PlayStation camera, and the PS Move motion controllers below and save $60. Plus, save $10 on each game you select from the list below.

Note that there are some non-digital versions (Batman, Until Dawn, etc.). For those versions it stacks with GCU for an even bigger discount. $7.99 for the $19.99 MSRP titles.

It doesn't start becoming a deal unless you're planning on picking up several of the cheaper games though.

I forget there are retail versions. GCU discount ftw.

I really wish that offer included the $500 bundle, as well. I bought quite a few games from Best Buy and would love to get the $5 in savings refunded to me. Haha!

For those Until Dawn players, how do you avoid arm fatigue? The game basically instructs the player to nearly fully extend out their arms and that is no easy task after 10 minutes of doing it non-stop. :p

I'm mostly shooting from the hip or however that's called, works for me ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not really an option unless I either make a super getto setup or mount a shelf to the wall, I'll figure something out.
Not something I've done but I didn't think of this until I read it: You don't have to have the camera where your TV is. It can be placed anywhere you can face and have space.

Orcastar

I was under the impression that I'd be able to use my over-ear headphones with PSVR, but my Sennheiser HD 558s certainly don't fit me when I'm wearing it. Really disappointing.

Other than that I've been pretty impressed by my first foray into VR today. I wasn't blown away, but the hardware certainly shows potential. Thumper was really good in VR. Might have to get Rez too, though €30 feels a bit steep for it.

From what I've read, EVE Valkyrie and Driveclub seem to be the most motion sickness-inducing games? I tried the demos, but neither had any effect on me, so I guess I just don't suffer from it. I did feel slightly lightheaded when I took the headset off after having spent around one and a half hours testing demos, but even that didn't last for more than 15 minutes or so.

bumpkin

So how are people handling storage? Are people disconnecting their headsets from the extension cable after every session or do they leave it plugged in?

As much as I'm adoring PSVR right now, I can't stand the extra cables and clutter sitting in the living room after wrapping up, so I disconnect the headset and put it away separately. I hope this won't wear out the HDMI slots. Anyone know?
I have the PU next to my PS4 with the headset cable sitting on top coiled up and the USB cable next to it (unplugged). The headset itself is on top of my makeshift side table next to the couch. It's one of those three drawer plastic cabinets Target sells which is what I keep all of my controllers in. Picture here.

beanman25

Until Dawn or Sports Bar VR? Can only afford one of the 2 unfortunately.

Really enjoyed the Rush of Blood demo for what it's worth.

Soi-Fong

Until Dawn or Sports Bar VR? Can only afford one of the 2 unfortunately.

Really enjoyed the Rush of Blood demo for what it's worth.

Sportsbar unfortunately has a lot of glitches. A lot of the times my Move controller would wig out. I'd suggest Until Dawn especially if you enjoyed the demo.

I don't extend my arms. At the setup it says put them in a comfy position not to mirror the position it shows you onscreen. Haven't had one bit of arm fatigue this way

mckmas8808

I leave my plugged in a shove it to the edge of my TV entertainment center. Since it's all black you can't really see the cables.

jrcbandit

Ah, well, damn. I know what I'm doing tonight when I get home!

You just extend them out like that to calibrate. Then I put my arms on the armrest of my chair and fire that way. Sometimes you lose calibration though and your arms look broken lol. How do you avoid that? Not getting too close to the camera?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, so you CAN split the HDMI signal to avoid using the processing unit.

Using one of those "4K 3D" video splitters, you can input the HDMI and then send one output to your receiver/TV and the other to the PSVR box.

There is a catch, however, in that, while you can still use your receiver for audio, you can't necessarily use the TV at the same time - it triggers an error. So if you want to see what's on the screen, you'll need to plug straight into the PSVR box.

If you just want to use PSVR by yourself in normal conditions and don't care about the social screen, though, it works great.

Need to test and see if you can work around the social screen issue by simply disabling deep color and HDR options since I think the signal mis-match is causing the issue (the PS4 is outputting 12-bit color which the PSVR box won't deal with).

Better than constantly shuffling cables around, at least.

The PSVR processing unit is really a piece of junk, though, and it's insanely disappointing that Sony would basically sell you a box that degrades picture quality on high-end displays while limiting the potential of PS4 Pro. They SELL high-end TVs and the Pro...and if a user has a PSVR, the quality of the video will be degraded. I can't even begin to understand how this happened but it's a big deal.

mckmas8808

Ah, so you CAN split the HDMI signal to avoid using the processing unit.

Using one of those "4K 3D" video splitters, you can input the HDMI and then send one output to your receiver/TV and the other to the PSVR box.

There is a catch, however, in that, while you can still use your receiver for audio, you can't necessarily use the TV at the same time - it triggers an error. So if you want to see what's on the screen, you'll need to plug straight into the PSVR box.

If you just want to use PSVR by yourself in normal conditions and don't care about the social screen, though, it works great.

Need to test and see if you can work around the social screen issue by simply disabling deep color and HDR options since I think the signal mis-match is causing the issue (the PS4 is outputting 12-bit color which the PSVR box won't deal with).

Better than constantly shuffling cables around, at least.

The PSVR processing unit is really a piece of junk, though, and it's insanely disappointing that Sony would basically sell you a box that degrades picture quality on high-end displays while limiting the potential of PS4 Pro. They SELL high-end TVs and the Pro...and if a user has a PSVR, the quality of the video will be degraded. I can't even begin to understand how this happened but it's a big deal.

Honestly I was with you until the last paragraph. I don't even understand what you typed. What is the issue again?

Got home from the airport 1am decided to setup my PSVR in the morning. What a day, I only played a couple of demo’s but wow really happy with my purchase. The resolution isn’t great on realistic games but REZ and Thumper sent me to another place while playing. Spent around 4 hours logged in today no sickness I feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom