• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

How do you guys feel about Scavengers Odyssey and Danger Ball?

Don't see them mentioned too often here.

That's for a reason. Scavenger Odyssey is the lowest resolution game available on PSVR. It legitimately looks to be rendering out 480p with blurry AA on top (probably temporal). It also employs a LOT of 2D objects (sprites, single polygons, or whatever they uses today) that are textured to looks like (fake) 3D geometry. Technical shit show would be too kind. Content fares even worse if that's possible. Gameplay is as dull as a paper bag, the most stereotypical/derivative scifi shit you can imagine. It would perfectly fit the bill as one of those fake games they make up for characters to play in TV shows and Movies. Danger Ball is an enjoyable enough 3D Pong, but it highlights PSVR's tracking woes in that it's the poster child for drifting people 90+ degrees off center, at which point it largely ceases to work. Luge is equally bad in that regard, with the added bonus of drifting you down into your body and ground (a la sinking Jeff Gerstmann of Driveclub fame).

DavidDesu

Scavengers Odyssey made me feel sick and disorientated...

Dangerball needs to be a standalone game with online multiplayer and more modes! Actually the best "game" there is for it. The urge to play one more game is crazy. Love how you can easily play it sitting down, or equally stand up and really get in to it. Want more of this!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Bought Sports Bar, joined my first game, 3 Dutch dudes, we chatted for a bit (which is something I rarely do with randoms), one of them pretended he was giving a blowjob to one of the NPCs, and then I did the same. VR is alright. VR is alright.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That's for a reason. Scavenger Odyssey is the lowest resolution game available on PSVR. It legitimately looks to be rendering out 480p with blurry AA on top (probably temporal). It also employs a LOT of 2D objects (sprites, single polygons, or whatever they uses today) that are textured to looks like (fake) 3D geometry. Technical shit show would be too kind. Content fares no better. Gameplay is dull as a paper bag and it's the most stereotypical/derivative scifi shit you can imagine. It would perfectly fit the bill as one of those fake games they make up for characters to play in TV shows and Movies. Danger Ball is an enjoyable enough 3D Pong, but it highlights PSVR's tracking woes in that it's the poster child for drifting people 90+ degrees off center, at which point it largely ceases to work.
Yeah I though it looked low resolution.

Bought Sports Bar, joined my first game, 3 Dutch dudes, we chatted for a bit (which is something I rarely do with randoms), one of them pretended he was giving a blowjob to one of the NPCs, and then I did the same. VR is alright. VR is alright.

Delightful.

Zalusithix

Edit: Unless removing extension simply means you are sitting close to camera, and that is the reason it stops wobbling... :/

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the comment. It'd take one hell of a crappy cable to impact the USB connection at those lengths.

Ozorov

Hmm...

if you wanted to give someone a hummer you didn't have to pay 400 dollars for it, you dingus

Z3M0G

This is the kind of stuff my buddy will totally do with Sports Bar. I need to remind him about it.

PSVR killer app, for sure.

Waveset

Apparently it's only an effect of moving closer to the camera because the cord isn't as long.
I just gave this a go.
Moved the PU so I was in the usual standing and sitting position, the drift in cinema mode was completely eliminated but controllers were still drifting :(

cakely

Has anyone tried the shooting gallery in London Heist? How is it?

Personally? I love it. You can grab ammo out of the box with your left hand while shooting with your right. Also, you can actually ADS with the move controllers, and I found that to be totally sweet.

I'm getting worried about people wearing glasses and potentially scratching the PSVR lens with theirs. I wear glasses myself, but I don't absolutely need to, so I remove them for VR sessions. But I'm concerned about other friends that want to try it out and do need glasses to play, opening up the possibility of friction between lenses while adjusting the slider, causing irreparable scratches for both parties.

I had a close encounter with sliding the screen too close to my face while adjusting and heard a horrible scrape. Luckily there was no damage. Still though, I worry. Do they sell a protective film meant for eyeglasses? Am I being too paranoid? Any other glasses-wearers feeling similar concerns?

Has anyone else been getting consistent studding in VR Video apps like Within?

My PS4 is wired and on a 500gb connection. It should be no problem. Also, I use Within on my PC with my Rift without issue. It happens in a couple of other VR video apps as well.

The video constantly starts and stops like it's buffering. It shouldn't be happening though.

farisr

So have a question about 360 videos.

I know the headset's max capability is 1080p, and I'm guessing the standard ps4 is probably only capable of handling 1080p 360 videos at this time.

But, that one 1080p image is basically being used to resolve the entire 360 degree view at the same time, meaning that at any given moment/angle, you're not actually seeing a 1080p quality image, correct?

And as an extension of that, theoretically, with the PS4 Pro, if it supports 360 videos at 4k, those videos will be clearer and resolve more detail despite the headset itself only being capable of 1080p right?

Edit: Apparently standard ps4 can do 4k 360 videos.

I unlocked the Harley Quinn model in Arkham VR last night and sadly spent WAY too long interacting with it. Quickly switched to killer croc when I heard my gf come in; summer lesson is going to be trouble, I can feel it.

I've had some time to mess around with a few things in PSVR and figured I'd post my thoughts/experiences so far.

Superhypercube - One of my favorites right now. Bought the full version and really enjoy it. A simple concept, but very challenging puzzle game as more and more cubes get added to your piece. Feels great in VR. The visuals are simple and don't distract; they add to the experience and are pretty cool to see in your peripherals. The headset tracking seems to work perfectly as I'm moving my head back and forth to look past different sides of the cube to best see the shape of the hole

Thumper - Played the demo. This feels fantastic in VR! The rhythm violence description seems fairly accurate as the speed, visuals, and audio through headphones creates an amazing sense of immersion. This game is intense! I've only played it in VR, but I can't imagine playing it any other way. The immense scale of the boss when you reach it at the end of the demo is really impressive. I will be buying the full version of this for sure.

Ocean Descent (Playstation VR Worlds) - I only did the shark dive of Ocean Descent so far, but that was legitimately the most terrifying thing I've experienced in awhile. Before the shark comes along it's just kind of a cool experience while slowly descending and staring at the passing ocean life. But when that shark shows up... things begin to get unnerving quickly. I felt very unsettled and found myself picking my legs up and trying to move back in my seat while tensing up. I know it's not real, but the immersion was fantastic and had me reacting in a way that I did not expect.

Driveclub - Played the demo (with a controller, not a wheel). Not a big fan of this in VR. While I loved the original Driveclub, something about the VR version just doesn't feel right. I think the issue stems from playing this with a controller as the immersion of controlling a car with something other than a wheel just confuses my brain. I felt fine for the most part, but during some turns I could feel my stomach slightly feeling off. Nothing horrible, but I think sitting and playing multiple races would start to bring nausea for me. I'd love to be able to try this out with a racing wheel as I think it would just correct how my brain works and make the game feel a lot better.

EVE Valkyrie - I originally played this at PSX last year and really enjoyed it. I managed to snag a digital copy when Amazon had the $19.99 price error. There are some things I really love about this game. Sitting in a cockpit in VR is really such a cool thing. Looking around the interior and out all the windows just feels badass. As a kid I always dreamed of piloting a spaceship, so it's just really a great feeling to feel like I'm sitting in one. The take off launch is always exciting to me and when you launch out of the carrier and turn your head around to see the scale of all the giant flagships around you, the scale really creates a sense of awe. As for the actual gameplay, it's enjoyable for the most part, but I find when I move the right stick (which controls the roll of the ship), it makes me slightly dizzy. The other ship movement (pitch and yaw) don't seem to bother me whatsoever. So I'm not really sure what it is about the roll movement. I'll definitely play some more and see if that feeling continues or if it's something that I can get used to.

Allumette - FYI, this is free on the PSN store. This is a short maybe 10-15 minute experience where you basically just watch a story play out. It's got a charming look and I found the story touching. It's recommended to play standing up rather than sitting down. You don't have any control other than moving your head as a camera. Kind of feels like watching a stop motion animation up close, which is cool. Though this is the only experience in VR that I've had so far with the camera being a little janky. If I moved my head too much, the camera would sometimes stutter and jerk over to a slightly different position, which could be a little disorienting. This also happened a few times while I was standing completely still. Didn't cause any nausea for me though. Since it's free, I definitely recommend at least checking it out.

I'll post more impressions as I try more stuff.

phant0m

I fucking LOVE Scavengers Odyssey. My favorite thing in VR so far. But I can see how it might make people feel sick.

I'm getting worried about people wearing glasses and potentially scratching the PSVR lens with theirs. I wear glasses myself, but I don't absolutely need to, so I remove them for VR sessions. But I'm concerned about other friends that want to try it out and do need glasses to play, opening up the possibility of friction between lenses while adjusting the slider, causing irreparable scratches for both parties.

I had a close encounter with sliding the screen too close to my face while adjusting and heard a horrible scrape. Luckily there was no damage. Still though, I worry. Do they sell a protective film meant for eyeglasses? Am I being too paranoid? Any other glasses-wearers feeling similar concerns?

None here. I mash the screen right up against my face. No scratches or anything, though my glasses frames are plastic, not metal.

Slixshot

Banned
Aw...damn. But everyone is raving about this game, so gonna try the demo again tonight and if it feels slightly better, I'll go for the full game.

Give it a shot! It's by far my favorite experience. In fact, it's not even just an experience like some of these others... it's a legit game, just like Killzone, Halo, and the others out there not on VR.

Samus4145

How high up is everyone's camera? I feel like the new PS4 camera can't angle down as far as the old one. So it's either going to cut my legs off or my head off.

edit: and this is with staying 5-6ft away from it.

spwolf

Sony advice to not let anyone under the age of 12 to play with it, hopefully nothing serious happens to them.

i am pretty sure thats due to behaviour (ie not jumping around and hurting themselves) rather than 3D effect... they all watch every 3D animated movie that comes out, and so far so good.

In fact, none of them have any kind of issues in VR so far, so it seems it is really well suited for younger... I have more problems than them.

But regardless, too much noise in the house, I told them to take it easy with calling their friends in the future.

majik13

So have a question about 360 videos.

I know the headset's max capability is 1080p, and I'm guessing the standard ps4 is probably only capable of handling 1080p 360 videos at this time.

But, that one 1080p image is basically being used to resolve the entire 360 degree view at the same time, meaning that at any given moment/angle, you're not actually seeing a 1080p quality image, correct?

And as an extension of that, theoretically, with the PS4 Pro, if it supports 360 videos at 4k, those videos will be clearer and resolve more detail despite the headset itself only being capable of 1080p right?

standard PS4 can do 360 stereo 4k videos. Ovbiously both left and right images need to fit within the 4k frame though.

Slixshot

Banned
Man, I'll continue to praise it: RIGS IS AWESOME
Had a killstreak to turn the tides in my second online match and bring in the W!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENz6a_uZ9Q

Check it out if you're wondering how this game plays. You can also hear my enthusiasm at the end. ;)

Here's little description of the RIG I'm using in the video:

The "Vampiric Hunter" RIG allows you to move swiftly in tight spaces only accessible to hunter RIGs. It's equipped with the "beam" weapon type (which is exactly what you'd expect) and when you take down an enemy your health is regenerated to full.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anyone else try this?

Please report back because this is THE major issue I need fixed on my unit that's making it harder and harder to jump back in.

It's an effect of moving closer but it makes it easier to fall out of the sweet spot especially when needing to stand. It got harder each time for me too, I no longer focus on the game, instead I'm focused on if I'm drifting/pulsing or not. It's taken its toll and I've settled on returning unfortunately. I bought a few games, but I got a lot of use out of them.

Had a killstreak to turn the tides in my second online match and bring in the W!

Check it out if you're wondering how this game plays. You can also hear my enthusiasm at the end. ;)

The "Vampiric Hunter" RIG allows you to move swiftly in tight spaces only accessible to hunter RIGs. It's equipped with the "beam" weapon type (which is exactly what you'd expect) and when you take down an enemy your health is regenerated to full.
i see the skills brother

rafaelr

Still waiting on Sony Europe to list our store updates (vr version is live but the store page hasn't updated).

As consolation I've got some more EU codes. ;)
Only grab if you've got your VR legs though:

Thanks again for the code, now for my (first) impressions:

the tutorial was really tough on my senses at first. i think the problem is that you´re in this fixed space with a fixed orientation (floor, ceiling and the surrounding "walls" with text). once you start going around and turning you´re quickly lost in this space while your eyes/brain try to readjust to the constantly changing location of the floor & walls. what makes it worse is that the default VR camera turning rate is really slow and i had a hard time catching the particles you have to absorb. so you´re kind of caught doing those endless slow loops while constantly getting more disoriented. thankfully, changing the camera speed to medium helps a lot with this.
also, is there a goal where the tutorial ends automatically or do you always have to quit it yourself? i got to 1000 energy but it just kept going.

once i started the water level, the orientation and brain adjusting problems pretty much went away because there is no fixed space/horizon your eyes try to align with. so getting around was cool now, but on each of my tries i fizzled out pretty quickly because there was almost nothing to absorb (never got to more than ~125 energy). do those particles spawn randomly or are there places/structures to go to find more? and can i do anything else but absorb those little particles and shock the other organisms?

majik13

Hmmm, interesting, I was just assuming it wouldn't. Will try that out then when I get the chance.

I mean technically it is possible. Not sure why stereo is currently disabled in the media player currently though. But also some of the other video apps do have 4k stereo video streams. Anything smaller and it looks like you are watching some 480p content

LiK

Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

I get it occasionally. Was your wobble constant? Seems stupid if the wires are causing it.

Chopper

Finally got a chance to load up Playroom VR today and play some games with my cousin. We played the haunted house, the Godzilla game and the platformer. We had a fucking blast! I can't believe the package is free. I can't wait to tuck into the rest later.

Also, fuck those jump scares in the Attic in the haunted house. At least I got all the trophies.

Yeah I LOVE this game. Its far and away the best PSVR game.

We had predictions in the other thread that PSVR would sell 50k, worldwide, in 2016.

LOL wtf who made that prediction? It was always a lock for a couple hundred thousand at least during the launch window

We had predictions in the other thread that PSVR would sell 50k, worldwide, in 2016.
Well that's just ridiculous lol...even for people that didn't believe in the tech, it was obvious Sony would sell more than that because of so many PS4's out there.

More than 50K users were bound to be a little curious. I think PSVR is probably at half a million and will hit a million in November, 2 million early next year.

I think it's safe to say a good 5-6% of the PS4 audience will give PSVR a try. Outside of that, I'm not sure. Needs a Killer app, needs to come down in price, need to improve in quality for it to hit mainstream success like the PS4 itself

Give it a shot! It's by far my favorite experience. In fact, it's not even just an experience like some of these others... it's a legit game, just like Killzone, Halo, and the others out there not on VR.

It's complete different than other games indeed. I'm starting to adjust to headtracking, but I move to slow to kick some butt +_+ Back to the demo and...my nausea seems less some how. VR legs kickin' in.

Mezoly

I get it occasionally. Was your wobble constant? Seems stupid if the wires are causing it.
It was not the wires I just updated the original comment, it was the distance. I would say it happened somewhat constantly but it's more noticible in some games such as Wayward Sky and Allumette where you surface that you could see moving.

Slixshot

Banned
i see the skills brother

Born to be a mech pilot.

WnwmZ4.gif

r0EXKW.gif

X67njo.gif

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENz6a_uZ9Q Full video from previous page.

We need more titles like this SONY!

LiK

It was not the wires I just updated the original the comment it was the distance. I would say it happened somewhat constantly but it's more noticible in some games such as Wayward Sky and Allumette where you surface that you could see moving.

Okay cool. I need to change the distance too. Seems that's the core problem for many in terms of drift as well.

majik13

I've tried playing 4k 360 vids and it didn't play them.

all I know its technically possible, but it was really dependent on how it is encoded and formatted. Could even depend on how the video was encoded. Same settings between 2 different encoding apps, and 1 would play while the other wouldn't. With seemingly no metadata difference between the 2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How do you guys feel about Scavengers Odyssey?

Scavengers is the ONLY VR game that made me feel woozy. Not sick per say, just woozy. And I'm still kinda feeling it today. It may have something to do with the fact that I was playing it at 2:00 am in the morning after 2 hours of prior VR.

But the way you move the mech just kinda gets to ya.

zoukka

Wow playroom is some Nintendo-esque quality and fun. Just played a bunch with my gf and she was blown away.

Easily the best game on PSVR right now and one of the few that truly utilize VR like it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom