• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro will "eventually" have AI upscaling across the whole game library without any patch, VR included, according to CNET

Fake

Gold Member
Interesting. How will they intercept and change the reconstruction solution from FSR or checkerboarding or TSR to their own solution? And even if they could do it would devs allow it without testing?

Maybe at the operation system level?

Can't say for sure. Adding some kinda of layer into the APK.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe at the operation system level?

Can't say for sure. Adding some kinda of layer into the APK.
Wont matter. the OS will still only have access to the FSR or TSR generated image. Whatever they plug into that will still have those shitty artifacts and low internal resolution.

I think the cnet guy is simply wrong.

You don't get why one would want PS4 games improved to the standard of ps5 with higher resolutions? Doesn't anyone else play older games, just whatever releases now?
i play older games all the time (hell, if you don't, nowadays, what else is there to play?) i can see wanting it. but i'm simply not seeing the benefit being worth the price, is all. are the games particularly awful/unplayable as they are? not really. if they wanna offer free upgrades? i'm good with that. i just don't see it being worth paying for...

ps: i've got a 15+ yr old 1080p sony bravia that i play on. so, yeah, ymmv...

cireza

Gold Member
The Power of AI ™ ©

well-there-it-is.gif

Last edited:

Rudius

A spatial upscaler like DLSS1 or FSR1 is not "a very cool feature". It is rather embarrassing in 2024.
In the Cerny video the comparison between The Last of Us 2 quality mode on PS5 vs PS5 Pro seems better on the Pro. Watch it carefully in a large screen. That's native 4K at 30fps vs AI upscaled 4K at 60.

Tarnpanzer

In the Cerny video the comparison between The Last of Us 2 quality mode on PS5 vs PS5 Pro seems better on the Pro. Watch it carefully in a large screen. That's native 4K at 30fps vs AI upscaled 4K at 60.

Lets wait for DFs assessment. The quality on youtube is rather poor, even in 4K.

But as I said, if PSSR is just working like a spacial upscaler you can compare the results to FSR1 or DLSS1, i.e. not worth mentioning image quality wise.

Last edited:

Rudius

Maybe in addition to the full-fat PSSR that requires individual implementation they will also have a weaker version that works system wise. And that option is not yet available for developers outside Sony.

Rudius

Lets wait for DFs assessment. The quality on youtube is rather poor, even in 4K.

But as I said, if PSSR is just working like a spacial upscaler you can compare the results to FSR1 or DLSS1, i.e. not worth mentioning image quality wise.
Well, it's poor for both, and in 4K the Pro one looks better in that video, specially the grass.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cerny said that specifically about PSVR games.

Cnet's article, without using a direct quote, says it will work on the entire library without needing patches.

A developer working on PS5 Pro kits is saying that part is wrong.

I think the CNet author jumped the shark here.
My understanding has been that the PSSR will indeed be available to legacy games (ie. older SDKs - contrary to what that dev said).
But that would also still require patching to add support for it (contrary to what the CNet author claimed).

kevboard

the only way this can work at an acceptable quality is if they do the same Microsoft does with their new AI upscaler on PC... this entails rendering 2 images and looking at what changed between them, in order to compensate for the fact that the scaler has no access to motion vectors or any render buffer.

an implementation like this will by default increase the input latency. so this hopefully is an opt-in setting

sachos

Yeah im not sure about that, how would that work? That CNET guy did not seem that knowledgeable to me at first glance.

Rudius

An AI-assisted upscaling mode, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, works across the whole game library without any needed patch, adding in details to upscale to 4K. I didn't see this demonstrated, but the feature should help enhance older games if you have a 4K TV. It'll also work on PSVR 2 games in the future, too, Cerny said.

VR and the future of peripherals like Portal​

As CNET's resident VR expert, I'm curious what the PS5 Pro can do for the PlayStation VR 2, although Sony's support for the headset has been underwhelming lately. Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games. But no specific PSVR 2 upgraded games have been announced yet, and I wonder what those improvements would even feel like. (I mentioned to Cerny and Nishino that I'd still love to see original PSVR games like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, which are incompatible with PSVR 2, to get ports that still haven't happened yet. I didn't get a response to that comment.)

Edit: it's over! He made a mistake.

JimboJones

Interesting. How will they intercept and change the reconstruction solution from FSR or checkerboarding or TSR to their own solution? And even if they could do it would devs allow it without testing?
Maybe they will have a more generalised version, something like autosr for games that lack motion vectors?

My understanding has been that the PSSR will indeed be available to legacy games (ie. older SDKs - contrary to what that dev said).
But that would also still require patching to add support for it (contrary to what the CNet author claimed).
For us gamers what difference does it make that those wouldn't need a SDK update? A patch is still a patch, no?

It's actually a good news. Means it's not spacial-only uscaler.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
For us gamers what difference does it make that those wouldn't need a SDK update? A patch is still a patch, no?
Not to a developer - this would potentially significantly increase the number of titles that we could see support PSSR.
In practical terms - think of say - Bloodborne or Arkham Knight getting PSSR support (just to 'randomly' pick some of the worst IQ offenders from PS4 era, that also never got remadestered or Pro-ified).

So yes - if it works as I interpret it - it will matter to gamers.

Last edited:
This is the one thibg that would've made the Pro worth it but OF COURSE he misspoke! Did you really think Sony (or any of these walled garden console makers) would do something so pro-gamer (and something desperately needed on consoles-something PC can and has been doing for ages)??

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Okay, that's pretty interesting.
True, i think that will be the norm next gen.

I think Ai in generally will be a big deal next gen as I think all the big players are working it into their next systems some how

Top Bottom