• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcl66

Any impressions of the full Harmonix VR music game? I thought the demo was cool for what it was. Chill music game with some good ideas. The painting part was esp very VR.

For $14.99 seems like it should be worth it.

Mr Jared

I'm having a great time with my PlayStation VR, but I've noticed that on some games, no matter what I do, my perspective is slightly to the left. I make sure I'm sitting straight ahead, and I've recalibrated things a few times, but in Driveclub and and Rez, when I go to reset my position, everything shifts to the left. Any advice?

gpn

I was going to hold off on PSVR, but thanks to the hype in this thread I picked up one of the Best Buy bundles after work tonight. I've only had time to go through a few of the demos, but, wow, the hype is true. Even with the lower than ideal resolution and blurriness, the sense of presence is real. I tried Ocean Descent first, and you really feel like you're in that cage. I loved that I could turn all the way around to the back.

Next I tried EVE Valkyrie, but I knew what to expect with that one since I had done the Best Buy demo of it a month or so ago. Disappointed that this demo was shorter than the one in the store.

After that I tried the Hatsune Miku demo from the store. This was a lot of fun and I even got a bit of a workout from swinging the controller around so much. This one I'll probably get the full version.

I finished my initial play session with the Rigs and DriveClub demos. Probably not a good idea to do these two back to back as Rigs made me a little uneasy and then DriveClub a little more. Since I was feeling a little queasy and small headache, I called it a night.

I had no idea what I was doing in Rigs, but it was cool being in this tall robot jumping around. When I was in the hanger, I was startled when the two other team members walked over since it gave the feeling of two people there with you. DriveClub was fun too, and I even managed to finish first in the race and I usually suck at racing games (please don't shatter my illusions and tell me the demo is super easy).

Overall I had a lot of fun and can see this as the future of gaming. The only drawback foe was that the headset was like a sweat box. Today was a 90+ degree day in my neck of SoCal so I think that was a big factor, but I was sweating quite a bit in the headset and had the lenses fog up on me once.

I got VR Worlds, Batman and VEV with my Best Buy bundle, so I'm looking forward to trying those out over the weekend. Hopefully things cool down so I won't be all...

1209.gif

D23

I'm having a great time with my PlayStation VR, but I've noticed that on some games, no matter what I do, my perspective is slightly to the left. I make sure I'm sitting straight ahead, and I've recalibrated things a few times, but in Driveclub and and Rez, when I go to reset my position, everything shifts to the left. Any advice?

Try resetting your ps4, center yourself to the left camera, and move closer (5ft away at least)

How's the stock situation so far? Anecdotally they have stacks of both the $500 bundle and the headset alone at my local Target and Best Buy, both of which I've been to several times since launch. No change. I don't think this suggests anything dire as I would imagine that Sony manufactured a reasonable amount to avoid the artificial scarcity that Oculus and HTC contrived, but it is mildly worrisome.

Most of the Best Buys in Atlanta are out of both the bundles and standalone headset. Many Targets I've been two have a standalone headset or two. But only seen one bundle in the wild over the past week.

That was me.

Here's the thing:

Driveclub made me queasy, loopy and felt like I had vertigo after, no matter when I tried it.
So, what helped me play with minimal - no bother:

When the race is ready, you can adjust the camera with the DPad. I positioned it as high as it would go, then 2 soft clicks lower. I moved the seat as close to the wheel as it would go, then 2 soft clicks back.

This has helped me enjoy the game and feel little, to 0 nausea.

Also, as I approach weird turns, I look at the speedometer and dash screen for a reprieve of mental balance recalibration

Drive Club places you in weird positions when you start a race. You NEED to setup your location for every race. Maybe this is why I've experienced zero motion sickness with this game; I've never not positioned myself before a race

Hawk269

I was going to hold off on PSVR, but thanks to the hype in this thread I picked up one of the Best Buy bundles after work tonight. I've only had time to go through a few of the demos, but, wow, the hype is true. Even with the lower than ideal resolution and blurriness, the sense of presence is real. I tried Ocean Descent first, and you really feel like you're in that cage. I loved that I could turn all the way around to the back.

Next I tried EVE Valkyrie, but I knew what to expect with that one since I had done the Best Buy demo of it a month or so ago. Disappointed that this demo was shorter than the one in the store.

After that I tried the Hatsune Miku demo from the store. This was a lot of fun and I even got a bit of a workout from swinging the controller around so much. This one I'll probably get the full version.

I finished my initial play session with the Rigs and DriveClub demos. Probably not a good idea to do these two back to back as Rigs made me a little uneasy and then DriveClub a little more. Since I was feeling a little queasy and small headache, I called it a night.

I had no idea what I was doing in Rigs, but it was cool being in this tall robot jumping around. When I was in the hanger, I was startled when the two other team members walked over since it gave the feeling of two people there with you. DriveClub was fun too, and I even managed to finish first in the race and I usually suck at racing games (please don't shatter my illusions and tell me the demo is super easy).

Overall I had a lot of fun and can see this as the future of gaming. The only drawback foe was that the headset was like a sweat box. Today was a 90+ degree day in my neck of SoCal so I think that was a big factor, but I was sweating quite a bit in the headset and had the lenses fog up on me once.

I got VR Worlds, Batman and VEV with my Best Buy bundle, so I'm looking forward to trying those out over the weekend. Hopefully things cool down so I won't be all...

1209.gif

For me, I played almost every demo and did not get sick or anything, but after I played, me and y wife went out to dinner and when I was driving I felt really off. It was like a lite headed type of feeling. It lingered until the next day, I then spent even more time in VR and was totally fine after. I also agree about the sweat box comment. I am a bigger guy and it is pretty snug. I also live in So. Cal and it get's pretty hot wearing the headset. Still a ton of fun, but hopefully as the weather gets cooler it wont be as bad.

Memles

Was interesting going back to it after a few days off (I don't have a PS4 [waiting on a Pro], so it's currently living at a friend's house, and I head over once a week or so to play). I didn't repeat any of the games I played previously, but it took a second to get used to the sensation, and readjust.

It was also interesting to return to such different experiences, as we primarily played Playroom VR, which I have to say is a great little example of what VR is capable of doing. There was only three of us, but it was great to allow for a more social component to something that could be much more isolationist (I felt like a jerk if I played something purely solo, although I picked up Batman this week and did indulge to play through part of it tonight). But the TV/VR games here were a lot of fun: something as simple as the funny voices in the Monster/Cat games heightened the party dynamic even with just two people playing, and the co-op elements of the ghost/wild west setups offered lots to enjoy. Given this is a free experience with the headset, it offers enough that you can pull this out in a group of laypeople and give everyone a taste of what it does.

I did also get to Batman, which I liked—compared with London Heist, which I played through last time, I found it to be a bit more immersive, if only because I had more control in the movement from one scene to the other. It also just sort of felt a bit smoother, although that might have been adjustments to the camera position (which we changed after London Heist last time). It doesn't feel like a full game, exactly, but its cinematic moments play well, and I'm intrigued to finish it out (I imagine I got about 25 minutes in).

jamsy

So I finally tried VR Worlds today. London Heist was pretty neat although too brief.

Unfortunately I really got queasy playing that VR Luge game though. Enough so that after the first race, I had to quit and then turn the system off... Pretty much the same feeling I got as the Driveclub VR demo. Didn't think I was susceptible since I never get motion sick but here we are. At this point, I'm wondering if I should even keep this thing if I can't even play some of the games.

So I finally tried VR Worlds today. London Heist was pretty neat although too brief.

Unfortunately I really got queasy playing that VR Luge game though. Enough so that after the first race, I had to quit and then turn the system off... Pretty much the same feeling I got as the Driveclub VR demo. Didn't think I was susceptible since I never get motion sick but here we are. At this point, I'm wondering if I should even keep this thing if I can't even play some of the games.
You picked.the two worst games for VR sickness well two from the worst 4 for queasy feelings.

gogojira

My Best Buy had a demo station up today and it was the worst possible setup. I'm surprised they're even allowed to do it but I guess Sony can't control it?

It was tethered so close to the unit that an adult couldn't get the PSVR lined up with the camera because it was aimed way too fucking low (even at max tilt). The goggles were already getting busted up, too.

Not exactly an ideal first experience. I don't hold it against Sony, that's just some utter bullshit.

Level 5 in Rush of Blood is second only to P.T. as the most frightening thing I've ever played.
Which level is that? Spoiler tag, please, too.

I hunkered down tonight and finished up Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Story stuff, of course, is going to be spoiler tagged.

That's it? Because it's Until Dawn I had higher expectations for the story. But it's just a setup to endlessly loop the game? It's an on-rails shooter, I guess should have dialed my expectations down a little.

I did enjoy my play through! The scares are so effective in VR. At times I found myself leaning back in my chair, in a vain attempt to get away from the enemies in front of me.

I really loved the final level. The boss looked so cool and the 3D effects were excellent. The mine level was the one that scared the shot out of me the most. The free fall section, with the Wendigos attacking from all angles, was intense! It was the only part that I came close to dying and restart.

So, is the replayability in the game the collectibles, different paths, harder difficulty, and personal score records?

Watching 4:3 shows on Netflix with the headset is incredible. I'm actually starting to prefer absorbing video content with the HMD versus my TV. Much less distractions and no black bars.

Grabbed Bound and wow. The graphics in that game in VR are super clean. Like amazing really. Also the sense that you are right next to princess is something else. Incredible really.

Grabbed Bound and wow. The graphics in that game in VR are super clean. Like amazing really. Also the sense that you are right next to princess is something else. Incredible really.
Ever since I got my hands on Bound last year I was sold. Then it came out at a bad time for me financially. Now, however, I'm glad I waited. I am so stoked to do a PS Pro and a PS VR run!

Watching 4:3 shows on Netflix with the headset is incredible. I'm actually starting to prefer absorbing video content with the HMD versus my TV. Much less distractions and no black bars.

Man, I feel like Sony's cinematic mode is just terrible. I like how Samsung does their video playing way better. Even Netflix's Samsung Gear VR app is much better despite the terrible picture quality. Sony just feels like they slapped a screen close to your face.

panda-zebra

Any impressions of the full Harmonix VR music game? I thought the demo was cool for what it was. Chill music game with some good ideas. The painting part was esp very VR.

For $14.99 seems like it should be worth it.

I'm buying that simply for the painting, it felt really good. Well, my son will probably get a laugh out of the dancing thing as well, so bonus!

I feel bad for not paying for this (the devs gave away a few codes on pouet.net) as it's easily one of the best VR experiences so far. Just thinking the IQ and lighting will improve with pro...

May not be that long. Found another article about NextVR live streaming 10 upcoming concerts in VR. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7525661/citi-live-nation-nextvr-launching-virtual-reality-concert-series
NextVR says their app will be available on all major VR platforms by the end of this year.

Edit: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12/18/next-vr-interview-the-future-of-live-tv-is-vr/
Yes, NextVR is definitely coming to PSVR. Concerts and live sporting events in 3D VR. Can't wait!

Cool!

joebruin

Sadly you don't, you have to take the picture and mess around with the targets on your eyes to get the value to change.

I'm very curious what eye distances other people have settled on...

The camera measurements seem pretty close to my real life measurements.

Mine came out to 70 and my most recent optometrist measurement was 69.5. I should probably go back to the default 63 and see if I notice any difference.

Fnord

Ahh that's how it works. Thanks!

Also I asked this the other day any nobody answered.

Has anyone played Bound in VR?

I really like Bound in VR. Nice little details like when you're zoomed in close, the dancer looks directly at you - and continues to look you straight in the eye as you move around. Very cool. I started it before PSVR came out. I'll be completing it in VR. My only complaint is the camera. It's basically manual, so you have to keep moving the camera to keep up with the dancer. Cool experience, though.

Haines

Banned
Has there been any response from sony that tracking issues wil be solved?

As long as they arent solved, no buy from me.

Spades

Luge was the first game to make me feel a little nauseous. I wondered if it was because your character is lying down when you're not?

Wollan

All a y'all need to check out Shinobi602's comments in this thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1297735&page=1

If it was anyone but him I'd call BS. Instead I've got a never ending hype explosion happening in my head about it.

Shinobi drops a huge hint there will be a WipEout Remaster soon...I would imagine that will include both Pro and VR modes..

And it's speculated it's Firesprite (ex studio-Liverpool) guys making it:
Since people are talking about the possibility of a new Wipeout, I guess it's worth posting this

wipeoutzyal0.png

https://twitter.com/LeeCarus/status/784151879307722752

Firesprite = ex-Sony Liverpool.

Firesprite made the platformer level in Playroom VR (the game is not made by a single developer as some people seem to think but rather the individual mini-games coming from a range of devs).

Also... Playroom VR has robots flying WipEout ships as an unlock...

Codiox

Yesterday I had the best VR time of my life with sports bar. I joint a room and couldn't see anybody, but then a guy came through the wall. We played air hockey like some normal guys but then he freaked out and throwed all shit together. After that we went to the bar and now the room is full of 6 people and everybody had there microphone on. There were 2 guys playing pool and one of us got the jukebox and throw it on the pool table. That was the moment everyone loses there shit and we all couldn't stop laughing. The next I saw was a guy giving another guy a VR BJ while another guy gives a npc women a kiss...

... Fucking VR :D

kinggroin

Banned
Man, I feel like Sony's cinematic mode is just terrible. I like how Samsung does their video playing way better. Even Netflix's Samsung Gear VR app is much better despite the terrible picture quality. Sony just feels like they slapped a screen close to your face.

It's a dog shit implementation, agreed.

I expect we'll see something akin to Vive/Oculus/Gear VR's theater mode in the near future however, and unlike the first two HMDs, ONLY for video (maybe Pro rectifies this).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Playroom VR platformer is indeed lovely. I had some mild sense of 'vertigo' (?) when the camera would move forward, but I guess that is normal until I get my VR legs. Not nearly as strong as Eve/Rigs, but it encouraged me to move slower. The use of the space around you, and the 3D audio to direct your attention etc. is really nice.

Some nice little touches in there. How you can wave at the bot (with a bare hand) and the camera picks it up, and it waves back. It's something I felt invited to try, and it was really nice it actually worked.

ctfg23

I'm having trouble getting Job Simulator to calibrate properly. The circle it asks me to stand in is too close so it can't see the move wands when I do the T pose. And I feel like I'm standing too far away from the terminal at the starting location.

My camera is on a wall mounted TV a little under 6 feet high and all lights are off.

Hasney

I'm having trouble getting Job Simulator to calibrate properly. The circle it asks me to stand in is too close so it can't see the move wants when I do the T pose. And I feel like I'm standing too far away from the terminal at the starting location.

My camera is on a wall mounted TV a little under 6 feet high and all lights are off.

Interesting. Mine and many other complaints are that it's too far back, but this is using a standard TV stand rather than wall mount. Maybe it was just hard to dial in a sweet spot for multiple setups.

Hopefully as it matures, the sweet spot can be calculated better.

Has anyone noticed a pincushion effect when wearing the headset?

Here's an image to show what I mean:

And a real life example (taken with a camera):

The easiest way to see this in action with PSVR is to center your view on any object that is a vertical straight line, like the side of a building, a door, or even the edge of cinema mode where the screen ends. Then slowly turn your head away from it, while still keeping your eyes on the straight line. The line will slowly curve outward the further you turn your head away.

I see this issue no matter what I'm doing, regardless of the game or app, and even in cinema mode. I find it incredibly distracting and nausea inducing as it will make the entire image look like it's shifting around me anytime I turn my head in any direction.

I was really excited about PSVR, but this has kind of put a damper on things.

Is anyone else getting this at all?

ctfg23

Interesting. Mine and many other complaints are that it's too far back, but this is using a standard TV stand rather than wall mount. Maybe it was just hard to dial in a sweet spot for multiple setups.

Hopefully as it matures, the sweet spot can be calculated better.
The circle is too close but in game I feel like I'm standing too far away from whatever I'm supposed to interact with. The tracking is more finnicky when I have to each for stuff on the sides, like the coffee maker in the office level.

robotrock

Banned

The easiest way to see this in action with PSVR is to center your view on any object that is a vertical straight line, like the side of a building, a door, or even the edge of cinema mode where the screen ends. Then slowly turn your head away from it, while still keeping your eyes on the straight line. The line will slowly curve outward the further you turn your head away.

I see this issue no matter what I'm doing, regardless of the game or app, and even in cinema mode. I find it incredibly distracting and nausea inducing as it will make the entire image look like it's shifting around me anytime I turn my head in any direction.

I don't think my unit has this, or if it does, I haven't noticed yet. Will take a look with this in mind though.

Think this is something that could be solved by messing with the IPD settings?

Hasney

I don't think my unit has this, or if it does, I haven't noticed yet. Will take a look with this in mind though.

Yeah, I was about to say the IPD thing. Sounds like an eye convergance issue.

RoyalFool

Banned

Is it the same in both eyes? I don't have this at all - I do however have a permanent very light left tilt on mine. Figured my head is just sideways.

Maybe you don't have it close enough to your eyes? I lift mine up at the back and cram it right into my face, also gets rid of that big space under the nose.

Paganmoon

I get the same thing yeah, people call it different things, "Pupil Swim" and so on.

I've set the IPD, but I'm still getting this on the PSVR. I can't say I really notice this at all on my Vive. If it is the IPD, then the PSVR lenses just aren't really suited for me and my IPD (~70mm).

Anyone else also notice that since connecting the PSVR and it's breakout box, that your HDMI CEC (HDMI Link etc.) started to misbehave? Before, whenever I pressed the PS button on the controller (and had my input set to something else on my receiver), it would change the input to the Playstation4. Nowdays, it keeps sending me to the wrong input. Even if I'm currently on the right input on my receiver, and press the PS button on the controller, it auto switches to the wrong input. Annoying as hell, so I've had to disable HDMI CEC on the PS4 cause of it.

Is it the same in both eyes? I don't have this at all - I do however have a permanent very light left tilt on mine. Figured my head is just sideways.

Maybe you don't have it close enough to your eyes? I lift mine up at the back and cram it right into my face, also gets rid of that big space under the nose.

It indeed happens with both eyes. I've also spent hours adjusting it around my head to see if I could try to eliminate it or limit it as much as possible, but so far no luck.

I've messed around with the ipd setting, changing it in small and big increments, but it didn't seem to help with this. I will continue to experiment with it though.

Everyone, as this is how the lenses work.

This is my biggest fear, that it is perfectly normal and a limitation of the current technology and each user is affected differently.

ZehDon

Just tried the Rush of Blood demo. Man, what a ride. Looking to pick it up, but a little worried about its replay value. The demo was great... but it really is just a roller coaster with a few shots here or there. How's the full game compare?

My only complaint is the camera. It's basically manual, so you have to keep moving the camera to keep up with the dancer. Cool experience, though.

I think the manual camera in Bound is perfect to give beautiful and artistic shots during the gameplay. I found myself staying in the same place for some time admiring the environment. Gameplay is very simple in Bound. The game is about art and emotions, so the manual camera helps a lot ΙΜΟ.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm curious as to what eye to eye distances some of you are feeling comfortable with...

I was feeling good at 59 for a bit, then it felt strange and I jumped to 61. Then I got 60 after that. Those 3 have felt the best to me but it feels like some games are set differently than others.... The obvious one for me is Rez, which on its Photosensitivity warning screen in particular, always looks too big or something and strains my eyes to see it naturally.

Messing around in the eye distances settings, I am now at 57 which helps Rez look better but I feel I'm still not there......I really really really wish I could just change these numbers without taking a picture and guessing with the targets on the eyes.

This guy figured out how to get exact numbers by using that measurement tool and not even taking pics of your face:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/58jb5y/ipdeyetoeye_measurement_number_cheat_sheet/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom