• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I'm on the last level of Until Dawn now. This game is definitely a highlight of the PSVR launch IMO. It's just built so well. The aiming feels perfect and it doesn't overstay its welcome. I'll definitely be going back for the insane difficulty and getting all the secrets and stuff.

So I did something I thought I'd never do last night. I have a fear of the sea and fish. I can't go aquariums and I've even had nightmares about being deep in the ocean and seeing the fish swim around me.

You can all guess where this is going. After trying everything else I had for VR I finally played The Descent. I tried the short demo that only goes up to the stingrays. Then I tried the one with the Shark.

Ultimately I guess the idea of it was scarier than actually experiencing it. I felt a little uncomfortable in the Shark demo when anticipating it but in the end it wasn't scary at all.

The whole experience has motivated me to try going to an aquarium soon, which I haven't done in over 20 years, to see if I can handle it.

Next up, VR spiders!

ZehDon

There's not enough room on the hive mind bus.

Breakout box powers on, I have picture on my TV. Power on the PSVR and no tracking lights on at all.
When viewing "cinema mode", the tracking lights don't turn on because they're not needed. When you start a game or application, they turn on then. What games have you tried?

I just tried the bumper-cam in Driveclub VR, it's much much better than the in-car view because you see more of the environment and it gives a sharper impression.

That was nearly my exact same comment in this thread a couple of days ago. In the car view started to give me that queasy feeling, I switched to bumper cam and loved it. It also allows you to see much more and I felt I was even more "in" the experience. I think some of the motion sickness in the car comes from the car swaying and moving and bobbing around you while you are stationary in the middle of all that movement.

I wonder with the people that had motion sickness issues with Driveclub, if they tried the bumper cam and had the same feelings?

Just tried setting everything up. My head just doesn't fit. Every time I try to adjust it, I can see gaps if I move my eyes left, right or down.

I'm so disappointed.
I can literally snug the headset to my eyebrows (lenses) if I want.

Sid you make sure to slide the goggles into place using the button on the bottom? The only place I see a hairline bit of leak is around the nose.

So this thing doesn't like surge protectors. Out of desperation, I plugged it straight to the wall and it worked. Hmm
Got mine plugged into a surge just fine.

Try a different surge protector.

eFKac

So I did something I thought I'd never do last night. I have a fear of the sea and fish. I can't go aquariums and I've even had nightmares about being deep in the ocean and seeing the fish swim around me.

You can all guess where this is going. After trying everything else I had for VR I finally played The Descent. I tried the short demo that only goes up to the stingrays. Then I tried the one with the Shark.

Ultimately I guess the idea of it was scarier than actually experiencing it. I felt a little uncomfortable in the Shark demo when anticipating it but in the end it wasn't scary at all.

The whole experience has motivated me to try going to an aquarium soon, which I haven't done in over 20 years, to see if I can handle it.

Next up, VR spiders!

This is awesome to hear :)

Will have check spider nest simulator myself :p

Surprisingly my fiance has been the biggest proponent of psvr in my house. She usually asks me about the tech stuff im buying, rolls her eyes, then walks away. I showed her this, put it on her, then had her do the vr worlds demo disc. The next day shes telling me we need to buy more games and get the move controllers. She loves rush of blood, or as she calls it, "the roller coaster game". She is inviting all her friends over after they go bridesmaids dress shopping to try it. At least now when I tell her the PS4 Pro will make the vr games look better she wont complain too much about spending $400.

Good job Sony.

I slide it all the way so it's pressed against my face. Yet when I look down with my eyeballs, I can see my chest.

That means that the headband visor is too close to the back of your neck. The closer to the top of your head you keep it, the tighter the fit of the actual scope to your face. Keep in mind, sony recommends you have this gap, because if it's too close, the lenses are more prone to fogging up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
First impressions:

I had way toned down my expectations of image quality, so I was pleasantly surprised by this in the end.

However one thing I hadn't adjusted expectations for was the field of view. Diving goggles is apt. Widening that should definitely be priority number one on the next sets.

Had no apparent problems with tracking or controller. Everything just worked.

Software wise I'm very limited right now - to the PAL demo disc, since PSN is down.

Tried the PS Worlds' The Deep demo. This is just the wildlife tour. Fleeting moments of wow and 'presence' in this, but I was mostly still adjusting to the hardware.

Tumble VR - very good. Felt very tactile.

Wayward Sky - pleasant. The swipe of the robot at the beginning elicited an involuntary recoil, a similar feel to the 'fleeting moments' mentioned re. The Deep above.

The Heist demo - fine, worked surprisingly well with the DS4. Was cool to just examine your own 'hand' up close.

Eve - super short demo. Momentary stomach lurch. Visuals seemed a bit ... I'm not sure. Felt hard to appreciate and take in everything while focussing on the battle.

Rigs - definite stomach lurch on first jump. Will have to work up to this, I guess. Looked very polished though.

Played all with DS4 - was surprised how well everything worked with it, but I can see how a Move would be more comfortable. Will have to find mine again.

So overall - I need to spend more time with more software, especially want to try playroom, thumper and Rez, but it's been interesting so far. It feels very much like a gen 1 product, especially in terms of field of view, but my 'fleeting moments' of wow are promising nonetheless.

Had my dad try the VR for the first time. He's normally a pretty serious person and has never as much as touched anything gaming related. I let him play Until Dawn and he couldn't put the controller down. It was really amazing to see him go up in the virtual world, even more so than my mom.

Tomorrow i'll let him try Driveclub since he's a car guy.

grendelrt

So i started having the screen going black for a second people were reporting at one point. The thing is, the only game it does it in is London Heist shooting gallery. I have played almost all of Until Dawn, couple hours of Brookhaven, VR worlds, and all the demos basically. So I am guessing its an issue with that game? I tried switching HDMI cables and it still pops up sometimes.

Ozorov

Since the Pro GPU has some VR-improved abilites I can't see the reason why not Pro was first handed made for VR. Will be veeeery exciting to see what improvements it will do.

Since the Pro GPU has some VR-improved abilites I can't see the reason why not Pro was first handed made for VR. Will be veeeery exciting to see what improvements it will do.

Same here. Can't wait to power up the Pro and see dem PSVR Pro-patches being downloaded. Digital Foundry comparisons...looking forward reading them.

Spades

That means that the headband visor is too close to the back of your neck. The closer to the top of your head you keep it, the tighter the fit of the actual scope to your face. Keep in mind, sony recommends you have this gap, because if it's too close, the lenses are more prone to fogging up.

This worked way better. Thanks. Just tried the shark cage. Incredible!

Wollan

Tethered is looking really, really nice and launching in a few days.

God Sim / Strategy game w/cutesy graphics by ex-DriveClub guys. Looks like there's heaps to do and the crispy visuals and music stand out.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUB1ow-Agk

Music sampler trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQNGe0R1e8

More videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoi17laMmHcP0p-1_vnnFkA

27241903150_d09c0aebb0_b.jpg

29113860260_4286780eee_o.png

PS. Why is like 80% of PSVR games coming out of the UK.

rubes7844

Banned
FUCKING FINALLY

it seems like it didn't like the USB plugged into the box so I turned it on and it was good, calibrated the headset, showed the wife until dawn and she screamed so loud LMAO! I love this thing

Sorry for the outburst bros. I was so fustrated

Ozorov

FUCKING FINALLY

it seems like it didn't like the USB plugged into the box so I turned it on and it was good, calibrated the headset, showed the wife until dawn and she screamed so loud LMAO! I love this thing

Sorry for the outburst bros. I was so fustrated

:D. Congrats

Tried watching a movie on Blu-ray with PSVR and all I get is: "can't start this application; error ce-30022-7"

Switched users, turned PS4 on and off, turned PSVR off, nothing helps. I installed a new 2TB disc several weeks ago and haven't used a Movie BD for some time, could the backup and reinstall have caused this?

I just wish the Pro had the PSVR PU built in. The extra box is my biggest annoyance with the peripheral.

I would hate that, the breakout box is useful because connecting the headset direct to my console would scare the shit outta me. One wrong move and the console comes crashing to its death.

hermit7

Picking one up later today. What are the best games to start out with?

I assume the worlds thing is decent but just to show off some of the hardware features.

I have zero experience with vr so I hope it is good.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Tethered is looking really, really nice and launching in a few days.

God Sim / Strategy game w/cutesy graphics by ex-DriveClub guys. Looks like there's heaps to do and the crispy visuals and music stand out.

Love the art there. I'll be keeping an eye out for that.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yeah, the streaming video quality is shit. The breakout box has a monster video decoder supposedly (4K 60fps HEVC) so I guess there's hope, but until Sony adds support... yeah. :(

I thought it was my connection at first, I have reasonable speed 25mb but quality never improves.

Hope these apps can get patched soon.

Maligna

Banned
So i started having the screen going black for a second people were reporting at one point. The thing is, the only game it does it in is London Heist shooting gallery. I have played almost all of Until Dawn, couple hours of Brookhaven, VR worlds, and all the demos basically. So I am guessing its an issue with that game? I tried switching HDMI cables and it still pops up sometimes.

Anytime the London Heist goes black for me it's because I'm not close enough to the camera.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Having played the entire demo disc + several hours of Driveclub with no issues...

Scavenger in VR Worlds fucked me up something fierce.

Only other game that really messed me up was World War Toons.

I've had mine since Tuesday and just got around to setting it up today and I'm absolutely floored by how much I have enjoyed it and I only have the demo disc. I need to get a second Move controller though.

Yeah, the visuals/resolution take a hit but the immersion makes it a great trade-off.

Played around with the Cinema Mode in Destiny and it looks like the default "medium" setting regarding screen size is definitely the way to go as the "large" setting made my head hurt.

rubes7844

Banned
Would you mind going into more detail, please? I don't exactly follow what the issue was and want to make sure to keep an eye out for it myself.
So I had everything plugged in as instructed and none of my lights would turn on. I got pissed off and threw everything in the box ready to return it. So I decided to plug it back in and it lit up and updated. So I powered everything down and did it again. NOTHING.

So I did the process of elimination and in my case, it didn't like the USB being hooked up to the box and PS4 initially. So it fired up, plugged everything in, calibrated and good to go.

Also, plastic protector for the lenses left them all smudgy. Hate it. What kind of cases are you guys using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom