• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Cool. I hope they nail it, could be very cool. But I'm afraid it will be a huge problem for the brain/stomach.

I think it might work out honestly. First person mode would be too much with all the loops and stuff but I think a solid third person view should be fine.

Something like Driveclub VR has a third person view and that makes the game way easier to handle for me. I don't know if it's because a huge car stays in front of me at all times

Ozorov

I think it might work out honestly. First person mode would be too much with all the loops and stuff but I think a solid third person view should be fine.

Something like Driveclub VR has a third person view and that makes the game way easier to handle for me. I don't know if it's because a huge car stays in front of me at all times
How is it playing a racing game in 3rd person in VR? What does VR bring?

This is my biggest fear, that it is perfectly normal and a limitation of the current technology and each user is affected differently.

Everyone is affected equally, but for many people it is hard to notice. I noticed it immediately but the fact that you always look at the center of the screen (because going out to the edges gets blurry) did not really break immersion for me yet.

And it's speculated it's Firesprite (ex studio-Liverpool) guys making it:

Firesprite made the platformer level in Playroom VR (the game is not made by a single developer as some people seem to think but rather the individual mini-games coming from a range of devs).

Also... Playroom VR has robots flying WipEout ships as an unlock...

MORE INFO NOW

Grinchy

Banned
Just tried the Rush of Blood demo. Man, what a ride. Looking to pick it up, but a little worried about its replay value. The demo was great... but it really is just a roller coaster with a few shots here or there. How's the full game compare?

The full game is exactly what the demo shows. There are different settings, different enemy types, lane-changing for different pathways through levels, secrets, ect. If you liked the gameplay of the demo, you'd like the full game.

I managed to randomly draw it from the vending machine using a coin. The WipEout ships are now circling the room. :)

No way!! That is so amazing. Can your view become a camera inside the cockpit?? Missed opportunity if not! Even as a passenger w a robot controlling.

Oh man if they announce a new WipEout I'm getting this shit immediately!

Move Twin Pack has 100% the same move controllers we had on ps3? The recharging cable is the same? I ask because it's not the same as dualshock's in ps3's moves.

Ozorov

I managed to randomly draw it from the vending machine using a coin. The WipEout ships are now circling the room. :)

cwtf.gif

Samus4145

Looking at the tutorial videos again, the camera should my entire body when standing. I just don't see how that is possible. When standing 6 ft away it's either waist up or waist down. Even if I try sitting, it really only sees from the knees up or knees down.

How is this possible?
ivZy2PC.png

ctfg23

So it turns out I wasn't standing too close/far away. Apparently putting the PS4 in rest mode fucks up the camera tracking for some reason, so I did a full restart and now Job Simulator works fine.

Also LOL at that gif

down 2 orth

Firesprite made the platformer level in Playroom VR (the game is not made by a single developer as some people seem to think but rather the individual mini-games coming from a range of devs).

Wipeout VR? Tentpole!

Fusebox

Banned
So it turns out I wasn't standing too close/far away. Apparently putting the PS4 in rest mode fucks up the camera tracking for some reason, so I did a full restart and now Job Simulator works fine.

Also LOL at that gif

I gotta remember that for next time and try a full reboot, I had terrible tracking wobbles tonight and my system had been in rest.

Funny moment tonight in Batman VR, was in the sewer and felt something brush against my leg so I instinctively tried to quickly knock it off my leg with my other foot and then the screen went dark. Turns out it was just my VR cable and I had kicked it out of the connector in my panic. Bit embarrassing.

So after a week of playing VR Worlds, Rush of Blood and mostly demos, I got my first few VR games from the PS Store yesterday. I went with a few cheaper ones first, so I got Tumble VR, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Batman VR and Job Simulator.

Girlfriend loves Job Simulator, very funny game, looking forward to playing that myself at the weekend.

Tumble is a cool in VR and can be pretty addictive.

Will get a few people around at the weekend to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, pretty fun for a party game.

Batman VR is brilliant, very immersive and just so cool to be the Batman. Would love more games like this, fully fleshed out into a longer game would be brilliant.

Can't wait to get more VR games next week when I get paid again. So many good launch games, VR is making me poor lol.

lifa-cobex

Well,i WAS going to get my PS4 Pro from game....why they started charging for it now though?

Ah yes, money. Get f****d game.

I went to Game to get a psvr.

"yea sorry we don't have anymore in-stock unless you pre-order."

wut?

"We have them but we can only sell to pre-order customers. You're looking around Christmas time to get them normally. Would you like me to pre-order one?"

No.

Went five mins down the road to Tesco.

"yea we can order you one in for tommorrow"

Ozorov

Well,i WAS going to get my PS4 Pro from game....why they started charging for it now though?

Ah yes, money. Get f****d game.

I went to Game to get mine.

"yea sorry we don't have anymore in-stock unless you pre-order."

wut?

"We have them but we can only sell to pre-order customers. You're looking around Christmas time to get them normally. Would you like me to pre-order one?"

No.

Went five mins down the road to Tesco.

"yea we can order you one in for tommorrow"
Are you guys talking about the Pro or the PSVR? I'm confused.

Lazaro

Yea, just over the fact that they're charging for demo use, mentioned that i'm shifting my pro order for it.

Well, seems game are bullish over this going by the reply from a tweet i sent to my local one....

iMATmRw.png

Is this the same company that said by signing the their agreement they own your soul?

From the PRO Native 4K Thread, the DEV chimes in on Bound. He actually says much more, but this should give you an idea.

Oh wow, that does sound incredible. I can't wait to see it in VR on Pro.

That being said, I still stand by my point: Of all the VR games I've played, Bound needs the Pro the least. It looks simply incredible and so clean already.

But I am certainly not against it looking even better!

Grabbed Bound and wow. The graphics in that game in VR are super clean. Like amazing really. Also the sense that you are right next to princess is something else. Incredible really.

Hell yeah, dude!

Oh god, I would much rather have them expand the Playroom Platformer into a full title than make a new Wipeout game. I'm sorry but that platformer is just too fucking good. I'm salivating for more.

It sucks that of all the demos out there for PSVR, the game I would most want to buy literally doesn't exist outside of a small sample.

Bond007

I really wanna like Until Dawn but the guns constantly get stuck with the move controlllers. Especially the right one
I recalibrated a bunch of times and it pretty much does nothing.
Anyone experience such problems? Its the only demo that doesnt perform well for me

I really wanna like Until Dawn but the guns constantly get stuck with the move controlllers. Especially the right one
I recalibrated a bunch of times and it pretty much does nothing.
Anyone experience such problems? Its the only demo that doesnt perform well for me
Make sure you are in frame.

Make sure you can move your arms around up, down, to the sides and still be in frame.

When you boot up a game, you'll be asked to make sure there are no obstacles present. Use that camera to check if you can remain in view.

Also, is it just the right one? If you swap the move controllers left and right, reboot the ps4 and relaunch the game, is the left gun now stuck?

Process of elimination, etc, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
I've gotten into the habit of just shutting my PS4 completely down because of VR. I feel like every time I've tried to play VR right out of standby, I've had some weird issues.

Just the other day, RIGS was giving me the weirdest wobble I've ever seen where the character model would shoot like 5 feet to the side when I looked down. I shut it down all the way and everything was perfect again.

kyser73

Oh god, I would much rather have them expand the Playroom Platformer into a full title than make a new Wipeout game. I'm sorry but that platformer is just too fucking good. I'm salivating for more.

It sucks that of all the demos out there for PSVR, the game I would most want to buy literally doesn't exist outside of a small sample.

You're dead to me. /jk sort of ;)

Just played the first chapter of Scavengers Odyssey from VR Worlds...its freaking awesome! I'm loving the movement so much, especially the jump mechanism which is something I'd struggle with using a controller but is just second nature when using my gaze to pick my landing site, and jumping while shooting is immensely satisfying.

I can totally see how it could give you motion sickness really quickly tho! I consider myself really lucky that it isn't an issue for me after a week. Probably good news for me when I come to play RIGS too!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So DriveClub VR didn't make me "sick" but I didn't enjoy it. Seems like my eyes had trouble adjusting to the fast movement of turns. Oh well.

Has anyone noticed a pincushion effect when wearing the headset?

Here's an image to show what I mean:

And a real life example (taken with a camera):

The easiest way to see this in action with PSVR is to center your view on any object that is a vertical straight line, like the side of a building, a door, or even the edge of cinema mode where the screen ends. Then slowly turn your head away from it, while still keeping your eyes on the straight line. The line will slowly curve outward the further you turn your head away.

I see this issue no matter what I'm doing, regardless of the game or app, and even in cinema mode. I find it incredibly distracting and nausea inducing as it will make the entire image look like it's shifting around me anytime I turn my head in any direction.

I was really excited about PSVR, but this has kind of put a damper on things.

Is anyone else getting this at all?

When this happens on mine, it is an easy fix. Simply adjust the back of the VR helmet on the back of your head. Pull the strap up a little or down a little. You will see the screen pincushion as you do that.

The PSVR Helmet, when fitted correctly, doesn't exactly feel like it is fitted correctly. Put it on, look at like the PS4 OS, which is in Cinema Mode, and you can look at the edges of the PS4OS which is a rectangle. Pull the back of the strap up and down till you get a complete rectangle that isn't pincushioned, now you have it fitted correctly. At that point, dial that baby in!

Does any of that help you?

So DriveClub VR didn't make me "sick" but I didn't enjoy it. Seems like my eyes had trouble adjusting to the fast movement of turns. Oh well.

Did you try it out in First Person Bumper Cam? Its pretty awesome, and for me, was so much easier to maneuver turns and see ahead of me. It feels like you are in a go cart or sliding around sitting on a skateboard, but it really helps me not feel queasy, and makes adjusting to turns and driving so much easier.

DjRalford

If I buy a cheap HDMI splitter will that allow me to use my PS4 without having to turn on the VR PU box?
Thanks.

I looked into this and aprrantly the splitter defaults to the lowest signal for both outputs or something.

I just bought a female to female HDMI coupler so I can just plug the two hdmi cables from the processing box together to bypass it for HDR.

Moreche

I looked into this and aprrantly the splitter defaults to the lowest signal for both outputs or something.

I just bought a female to female HDMI coupler so I can just plug the two hdmi cables from the processing box together to bypass it for HDR.
I don't own a 4K TV so HDR will not matter to me. Or will the splitter still produce a lesser image?

nynt9

So, I've looked into most launch experiences that interest me and I have a question. What are some VR titles on the horizon?

I know RE7 and FFXV have VR elements. Crusoe is another game on the way. What else? Would also help to know which games are made for VR versus have VR elements.

Splitters split the signal, not process them other than stripping HDCP.

My chain of several devices in a switch run through a splitter - one goes to my Elgato HD60 and the other my monitor.

The Elgato passthrough sucks and compresses the image which is why I got a splitter. The image to my monitor is clean (night/day compared to the Elgato). Looks exactly the same as a straight hookup through HDMI.

For me, my breakout box is right next to my switch so I just unplug from the PU and use an empty slot on my switch when playing normal games.

As a side note, the splitter has a side-effect of stripping HDCP, which is needed for full PS4 capture. Most people running into a capture card use a splitter even if they don't need to split the signal for just this purpose.

Correct. When there's multiple specs in the same chain, HDMI will always default to the lowest common denominator.

I made this post in the "WTF Sony?!" thread. I hope this does the trick. I can't imagine the strain constantly plugging/unplugging the cables has on the output ports. And I loathe having to go behind my entertainment center constantly.

So despite being sure that my glasses weren't touching the lenses, I noticed a hair line scratch on one of them. Not 100% sure if it was actually from the glasses or material being on the cloth when I cleaned them, because the scratch is slightly curved. Thankfully it doesn't affect the viewing experience and seeing a few demo unit nightmare scenario pictures of the lenses and people not noticing anything with it on I'm not too worried. Either way think I will go glasses less for a bit at least. Surprisingly if anything the screen seems slightly clearer without, I'm guessing because of the lack of glare on the glasses lenses. Or maybe it's the placebo of not worrying about my glasses fucking up my headset :p

Other than that this thread has made me want to buy Batman despite it's short time to "complete". I've bought like 90% of the games so far. I feel like a kid again

Edit: is there a "best" cloth to clean the lenses? I've seen people suggest pens and air blowers? I'm not confident in how clean the packed one is any more after few party nights with it

ViolentP

So despite being sure that my glasses weren't touching the lenses, I noticed a hair line scratch on one of them. Not 100% sure if it was actually from the glasses or material being on the cloth when I cleaned them, because the scratch is slightly curved. Thankfully it doesn't affect the viewing experience and seeing a few demo unit nightmare scenario pictures of the lenses and people not noticing anything with it on I'm not too worried. Either way think I will go glasses less for a bit at least. Surprisingly if anything the screen seems slightly clearer without, I'm guessing because of the lack of glare on the glasses lenses. Or maybe it's the placebo of not worrying about my glasses fucking up my headset :p

Other than that this thread has made me want to buy Batman despite it's short time to "complete". I've bought like 90% of the games so far. I feel like a kid again

Edit: is there a "best" cloth to clean the lenses? I've seen people suggest pens and air blowers? I'm not confident in how clean the packed one is any more after few party nights with it

My pen just arrived and I've just used it for the first time. Seems very effective. This is the model I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JN3G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I've looked into most launch experiences that interest me and I have a question. What are some VR titles on the horizon?

I know RE7 and FFXV have VR elements. Crusoe is another game on the way. What else? Would also help to know which games are made for VR versus have VR elements.

I thought re7 was fully playable by vr? Did that change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom