• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Rush of Blood and its Creepy Theme Park/ Rollercoaster/Shooting Gallery vibe. But... IT TERRIFIES ME. It gives me chills and makes me scream! I'm in need of some bravery...

FUCKING FINALLY

it seems like it didn't like the USB plugged into the box so I turned it on and it was good, calibrated the headset, showed the wife until dawn and she screamed so loud LMAO! I love this thing

Sorry for the outburst bros. I was so fustrated

Hey man no worries! I know that feel. Welcome to the world of VR.

Fusebox

Banned
So i started having the screen going black for a second people were reporting at one point. The thing is, the only game it does it in is London Heist shooting gallery. I have played almost all of Until Dawn, couple hours of Brookhaven, VR worlds, and all the demos basically. So I am guessing its an issue with that game? I tried switching HDMI cables and it still pops up sometimes.

That happened to me when I tried to stand up in the desk puzzle shooting stage, guess we're getting outside the camera range of sight.

Really curious what we can expect of IQ on the Pro.

If all PSVR games on the Pro will look as clean as Job Sim then LAWD.

But yeah. Here's hoping some current titles get a pro patch like Until Dawn and Battlezone.

I never seen my cats run so fast after my wife screamed lol

Haha! I was screaming so loud my girlfriend shut the windows as she didn't want anyone outside to to think somebody was being murdered.

For some reason I thought Rush Of Blood was campy and silly but I find it serious and SUPER CREEPY!

Kaze13

Anybody else have an issue with the connecting unit for the cable extender? The power to my psvr cuts in and out and I figured it was that. However, it was intermittent and I was confused about where the actual problem was until last night.

I ended up fiddling with the little box where the psvr connects into the cable extender and accidentally found out that pressing into the middle of that little box restored power to the unit. Once I let go, power cut out. So, there's a connection problem (solder issue?) inside that little box. I don't want to open it up at the moment to see if Sony will replace it.

CrazyHal

Since the Pro GPU has some VR-improved abilites I can't see the reason why not Pro was first handed made for VR. Will be veeeery exciting to see what improvements it will do.

Pretty sure sony made the pro specifically to support their vr vision.

I love Rush of Blood and its Creepy Theme Park/ Rollercoaster/Shooting Gallery vibe. But... IT TERRIFIES ME. It gives me chills and makes me scream! I'm in need of some bravery...

I'm sure you've seen some people on Gaf that are upset that VR is seeing such a positive reception so they try to downplay how much the immersion factor effects you after you've had a few months with VR, but that's not true at all and just salty people getting upset that other people are enjoying VR when they can't. I've had my Vive since May and I'm still blown away by the sense of presence every single time I use VR, and I've used it nearly every single day for the last 6 months with no sign of that "wow factor" ever going away. I actually use my PSVR more often now due to how much I'm loving all the new content and I definitely prefer the form factor to the Vive because it's more comfortable for long sessions for me personally at least. The point I'm trying to make is that you're just gonna need to push your way through the scary stuff because you're never going to become "numb" to VR, which is honestly a good thing because it means it will always be as enjoyable/mind blowing as it is now during what people call the "honeymoon phase" despite the fact that it doesn't really exist. 6 months of using VR for 1-3 hours per day and I still can't handle 99% of scary experiences so I've found myself playing less scary "light gun style" games like Jeeboman and Out of Ammo

Mathieran

Banned
Got through my first couple of matches of Rigs on offline mode. It's really fun and the different modes keep things interesting. Really like the football one.

Only thing though is I thought I had all the VR comfort modes turned off but I still get the blackouts while being loaded into my rig and when I get shot up the tube. Can't figure out where to change that.

Sharpfish

Got through my first couple of matches of Rigs on offline mode. It's really fun and the different modes keep things interesting. Really like the football one.

Only thing though is I thought I had all the VR comfort modes turned off but I still get the blackouts while being loaded into my rig and when I get shot up the tube. Can't figure out where to change that.

You need to turn that off in the comfort options too. You can select to remove the blackout pod completely or just while you are shot into the air and moved across. If you remove it completely you'll also see the drop! which I'm ok with but many may not be. :)

Ogni-XR21

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13344268/nba-nextvr-virtual-reality-weekly-game-broadcasts-announced

This season the NBA and NextVR will be broadcasting one game a week in VR as part of the NBA League Pass package. Only the Samsung Gear VR headset will be supported at first, but they do plan on adding support for other VR headsets later in the season. I hope NextVR is working on a version of their app for PSVR!

That's great news. I can't see how this will not come to PSVR, I just hope it won't take too long.

Afrikan

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13344268/nba-nextvr-virtual-reality-weekly-game-broadcasts-announced

This season the NBA and NextVR will be broadcasting one game a week in VR as part of the NBA League Pass package. Only the Samsung Gear VR headset will be supported at first, but they do plan on adding support for other VR headsets later in the season. I hope NextVR is working on a version of their app for PSVR!

oh man that link brought me to something else I didn't know about.

"Follow My Lead: The Story of the 2016 NBA Finals" Free VR Documentary by Samsung.

:( man I wish I could purchase or rent that 360 VR video file and Play it on the PS4. But that's just how exclusives work I guess... I don't think there is any way to get it without spending alot of cash.

Mathieran

Banned
You need to turn that off in the comfort options too. You can select to remove the blackout pod completely or just while you are shot into the air and moved across. If you remove it completely you'll also see the drop! which I'm ok with but many may not be. :)

I thought I had it completely turned off but maybe I don't. It shows me dropping from the sky and shooting up which is pretty cool. I'll double check next time I play.

I'm curious as to what eye to eye distances some of you are feeling comfortable with...

I was feeling good at 59 for a bit, then it felt strange and I jumped to 61. Then I got 60 after that. Those 3 have felt the best to me but it feels like some games are set differently than others.... The obvious one for me is Rez, which on its Photosensitivity warning screen in particular, always looks too big or something and strains my eyes to see it naturally.

Messing around in the eye distances settings, I am now at 57 which helps Rez look better but I feel I'm still not there......I really really really wish I could just change these numbers without taking a picture and guessing with the targets on the eyes.

joebruin

I'm curious as to what eye to eye distances some of you are feeling comfortable with...

I was feeling good at 59 for a bit, then it felt strange and I jumped to 61. Then I got 60 after that. Those 3 have felt the best to me but it feels like some games are set differently than others.... The obvious one for me is Rez, which on its Photosensitivity warning screen in particular, always looks too big or something and strains my eyes to see it naturally.

Messing around in the eye distances settings, I am now at 57 which helps Rez look better but I feel I'm still not there......I really really really wish I could just change these numbers without taking a picture and guessing with the targets on the eyes.

how do you manually set it without having to do through all the steps with the camera? i just want to use the ipd that my optometrist measured

azcoyote

Neo Member
That's great news. I can't see how this will not come to PSVR, I just hope it won't take too long.

May not be that long. Found another article about NextVR live streaming 10 upcoming concerts in VR. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7525661/citi-live-nation-nextvr-launching-virtual-reality-concert-series
NextVR says their app will be available on all major VR platforms by the end of this year.

Edit: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12/18/next-vr-interview-the-future-of-live-tv-is-vr/
Yes, NextVR is definitely coming to PSVR. Concerts and live sporting events in 3D VR. Can't wait!

Not sure what the availability is now days but it's back in stock at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE9DY8S/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_x_NjRcybRZCMT2Y

How's the stock situation so far? Anecdotally they have stacks of both the $500 bundle and the headset alone at my local Target and Best Buy, both of which I've been to several times since launch. No change. I don't think this suggests anything dire as I would imagine that Sony manufactured a reasonable amount to avoid the artificial scarcity that Oculus and HTC contrived, but it is mildly worrisome.

kyser73

May not be that long. Found another article about NextVR live streaming 10 upcoming concerts in VR. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7525661/citi-live-nation-nextvr-launching-virtual-reality-concert-series
NextVR says their app will be available on all major VR platforms by the end of this year.

Edit: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12/18/next-vr-interview-the-future-of-live-tv-is-vr/
Yes, NextVR is definitely coming to PSVR. Concerts and live sporting events in 3D VR. Can't wait!

Sony need to livestream PSX in VR.

Planning to pick this title up on Nov. 10 along with my Pro.

It would benefit a little from Pro (of course, how could it not), but this is the rare PSVR title that doesn't feel like it needs it.

Very strange how effective the art style is at covering PSVR's weaknesses. In my memory it's crystal clear.

I saw a post from someone recommending adjusting the player seating position in DC so there's more dashboard showing - maybe somewhere ITT?

That was me.

Here's the thing:

Driveclub made me queasy, loopy and felt like I had vertigo after, no matter when I tried it.
So, what helped me play with minimal - no bother:

When the race is ready, you can adjust the camera with the DPad. I positioned it as high as it would go, then 2 soft clicks lower. I moved the seat as close to the wheel as it would go, then 2 soft clicks back.

This has helped me enjoy the game and feel little, to 0 nausea.

Also, as I approach weird turns, I look at the speedometer and dash screen for a reprieve of mental balance recalibration

jrcbandit

How's the stock situation so far? Anecdotally they have stacks of both the $500 bundle and the headset alone at my local Target and Best Buy, both of which I've been to several times since launch. No change. I don't think this suggests anything dire as I would imagine that Sony manufactured a reasonable amount to avoid the artificial scarcity that Oculus and HTC contrived, but it is mildly worrisome.

The Launch Bundle is doing quite well (out of stock everywhere in my city), but I don't think the headset only is selling all that much. Best Buy even did their own bundle to try to move the individual headsets - you get $60 off for buying headset + move + camera and $10 off any game, including games like Tumble VR that cost $10 (makes it free lol).

III-V

It would benefit a little from Pro (of course, how could it not), but this is the rare PSVR title that doesn't feel like it needs it.

Very strange how effective the art style is at covering PSVR's weaknesses. In my memory it's crystal clear.

From the PRO Native 4K Thread, the DEV chimes in on Bound. He actually says much more, but this should give you an idea.

Hi,

I'll write about Bound on PRO. Bound will run in hybrid mode. During normal gameplay we will be using 2160P 60Hz MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 . It means that geometric quality of rendering will be exactly the same as native 4K, but textures will be sampled for block of 2x2 pixels. In our game we are using almost no textures so the difference is hard to see in motion.
On the other hand we use native 4K in photo mode, which is amazing! We have regular trips to our SUHD screen of people trying to play with new photo mode features.
As for VR. We enabled new effects in VR like volumetric lights. On top of that we are rendering sharper shadows - which are crucial in VR and rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR. We can do 4K rendering for PSVR since there are still unused black spots that saves us 15% of bandwidth. In native 4K we have places in the game that run at about 50 fps, and that's wy we decided to not use it.

Thanks in your interest! If you have Bound and PSVR, then you already have a free patch that enables VR for our game. Go and check it out :)

how do you manually set it without having to do through all the steps with the camera? i just want to use the ipd that my optometrist measured

Sadly you don't, you have to take the picture and mess around with the targets on your eyes to get the value to change.

I'm very curious what eye distances other people have settled on...

El-Suave

Finished Thumper, Until Dawn and Batman.

Anyone can recommend me another great $20 titles?

Wayward Sky is a really charming game that shows where adventure/light puzzle games might go in VR. It's not very challenging but quite good. Headmaster is another fun game I'd recommend, both have demos that represent some of their gameplay accurately.

Afrikan

From the PRO Native 4K Thread, the DEV chimes in on Bound. He actually says much more, but this should give you an idea.

Damn... which way to play through the first go. 4K OLED TV or PSVR?

decisions decisions.... first world problem folks.

Hawk269

Where I live most Stores still have launch stock. The few that are sold out said they are waiting for the 2nd allocation at the end of the month, but the few that did sell out only had a few of them (Target). My local Best Buy and another one not too far still have plenty of launch stock. I don't think it is a sign of poor sales since the price is pretty high for an add-on and holidays are coming up and I am sure they will sell out relatively soon.

None of the Demos included in the disc made me feel uneasy or dizzy. I handled it all pretty well. The only games where I feel something off creeping in sometimes is the ones VR Room. Some of the camera pans and movement can make me feel off. Nothing extreme, but definitely noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom