• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

somme

I've just tried skyward skies with the camera above my TV and the controller still drifts forward and back.
The only way I can get it to stay steady is if I'm about 3 feet from the TV.
I really wish there was a way to fix this as I'm about to apply the return label to the box.

I played the whole game through about 7ft away from the camera. No issues here.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I had a chance today to go down to Best Buy and finally demo PSVR firsthand. I went with Batman, since it sounds like the all-around best intro to VR.

The overall experience was great, very immersive, tracking was tight. The general sense of being there clearly the selling point. But I wasn't sure if I really calibrated the headset positioning for maximum clarity/sharpness. I couldn't find a position that didn't have a substantial amount of ghosting/blur. Does that sound normal?

elohel

This is what I would love to happen. Considering we're seeing remastered and re-releases I'd love to see older games revisited in VR.

So to confirm they have NOT made any statements on VR re releases?

They should either offer a full version with vr for full retail, only an upgrade vr for current owners

Or something like that imo but it seems like they haven't built in that type of functionality for vr games or digital games or game upgrades in general

Woke up this morning and saw my wife cursing on the tv screen while playing thumper in vr... I am in awe. Good job Sony, my wife hates playing video games but seeing her playing thumper In vr was amazing.

This is great. My girlfriend never plays videogames. We've actually gotten into arguments, because I always want her to try something that maybe she'll like but she never gives it a chance.

I was blown away by how she handled VR. She played a whole bunch of games and basically hogged the thing for like 2 hours. No dizziness at all. She also kept retrying games where she lost, when before she'd get frustrated and quit the game after the first death. I was so proud.

Edit:

Also, why is nobody mentioning how awesome Allumette is? The demo of it was great. I loved getting up close or behind the characters to sort get a new angle on the action. It feels like a little tiny play happening in front of you. Has anyone here tried the full experience?

DavidDesu

I had a chance today to go down to Best Buy and finally demo PSVR firsthand. I went with Batman, since it sounds like the all-around best intro to VR.

The overall experience was great, very immersive, tracking was tight. The general sense of being there clearly the selling point. But I wasn't sure if I really calibrated the headset positioning for maximum clarity/sharpness. I couldn't find a position that didn't have a substantial amount of ghosting/blur. Does that sound normal?

Nah you can definitely find a sweet spot where, only when you actually look with your eyes to the very edge of the screen, will you see some natural blurriness. It's difficult in a demo where you might feel rushed to just get on with it and not feel sure about how to adjust it properly. When you get it home you should be able to find the spot once you know what you're doing. For me it's generally higher up in your forehead than feels right, with the band at the back perhaps further down than you expect...

tr00per

I tried watching Powers in psvr last night. Had to use small screen because of all the close up camera angles.

For those of you who have both, Entwined on large screen cinematic mode is most excellent. Does anyone have any suggestions of good large screen cinematic mode games?

I found Amplitude works best on small screen mode because of the angle. Shame because if it was slightly lower it would be awesome.

I noticed that the psvr seems simulate surround sound in cinematic mode. Is that true?

I have to say the picture quality is really not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Anyone using the turtle beach stealth 350vr? Im looking for some headphones that fit the headset, because in-ears are gross when multiple people use it and the volume/sound quality is kinda meh. Sadly my superluxx are too big to fit nicely and my dt770 have way too much ohm for the psvr output :(

I bought the Turtle Beach Stealth 350VR headset and it works great. Very light weight, comfortable, smooth polyester-like vertically oblong ear cups, good sound with great bass and spacious audio. As advertised there's plenty of room for the PSVR headset. The band has a nice flex to it as well. This is also a great headset for non-VR PS4 and PC gaming. I own several sub-$100 gaming headsets (two from Sony, Cyberia, Cloud Core) and this is my favorite so far.

How is psvr with the gold headphones? Fit ok or potentially band breaking?

The gold headset fits but yeah; I'm a little cautious when putting it on--like I am pushing the band to the limits.

Watching the Cubs game last night, I started thinking about how awesome the new MLB The Show could be in VR. I hope they add that as a feature.

Batting from the batter's perspective and swinging with a move controller (They had this a couple of years ago and it was awesome) in VR would be fun. Of course, they could make the ball a little bigger so it's easier to see or something.

They have had Move controls in MLB The Show before, I would say bring them back, fune them up, and add VR to it. Would be great for My Career. For pitching, you could see from the pitcher's perspective, pick your pitch, aim where you want to throw it, hold down the move button/or trigger then wind up and throw it, release the move button or trigger at the optimal point for pin point accuracy. They could even put a small meter at the top of the screen to help you with when to release.

Fielding could be set to auto movement. You dont have to move to the ball, the fielder moves automatically. You just decide if he dives/jumps for the ball with the trigger button. You use the buttons on the move to pick which base to throw to, hold the button down, make the throwing motion, they throw to that base. They could even have where you have to move your virtual glove towards the ball to catch it.

So much potential for VR Baseball, I hope San Diego Studios is working on it.

Piichan

Banned
Man, people weren't kidding when they said Batman VR is short. Beat it in like 40 minutes. Cool experience, but wish there was more to it. Guess I'll have to 100% it to get some of my money's worth.

FukuDaruma

Is it normal that I see so much RGB noise in dark areas? tried reducing the Screen Brightness but I don't think it makes any better. Are this panel's blacks really that bad?

El-Suave

Anyone using the turtle beach stealth 350vr? Im looking for some headphones that fit the headset, because in-ears are gross when multiple people use it and the volume/sound quality is kinda meh. Sadly my superluxx are too big to fit nicely and my dt770 have way too much ohm for the psvr output :(

Yes, I bought them this week. I don't have too much experience with headphones, so I can't judge the sound quality against other models, but they fit nicely around the headset and they sound fine to me. I tested my nephew's Razer Kraken headphones before, they sounded ok, too but when I looked up at the ceiling they tended to slip back a little but maybe I didn't adjust them properly. Anyway, no problems with the TB 350vr.

Feel really lucky I have never had this problem. Hope Sony addresses it for people somehow.

Same, I think my room setup is probably just perfect for VR. I haven't had any drift issues EXCEPT for a little in Cinema mode. But that seems to be about everyone. And the drift in Cinema mode is so subtle, you only notice it after a while and have to re calibrate. You never see it happening.

dstarMDA

Wow my first multiplayer race in DCVR will be one of my best memories of this launch lineup.

Being chased by night... in a McLaren... lights from the headlights of a Ferrari illuminating the dashboard. It was glorious.

I am not sure I will ever touch the singleplayer again though, as I was already getting bored of it before the big adrenaline rush of online MP.

Is it normal that I see so much RGB noise in dark areas? tried reducing the Screen Brightness but I don't think it makes any better. Are this panel's blacks really that bad?
System settings
Display settings
RGB

Set it to FULL

Automatic doesn't detect displays properly for some. I have mine hooked up to a monitor and had it set to Full before but the latest system update for HDR reverted it to automatic.

It varies per game - Driveclub has very deep blacks but Rush of Blood has the rgb noise you mention on loading screens. I did read on here somewhere that it was down to screen mode and developer choice (deep blacks turn off the pixel but suffer slower response coming back on I think)

Hawk269

Something must be off with your setup then. I experienced very slight drift after 2 hours of play, and recalibrating by holding Options worked perfectly.

I have the same issue with Rigs...normally I can play through round 1 fine, then all of a sudden my screen looks like the one above and for is no longer playable. Holding down OPTIONS will not reset it. Very frustrating. I have tried recalibrating, repositioning the camera and it still happens. Seems like there is just a lot of "jank" with it.

My killer apps are Rez and Until Dawn.

Having fun with Eve Valkyrie too but I don't have PS+ yet so I haven't dove into the bulk of the game yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nah you can definitely find a sweet spot where, only when you actually look with your eyes to the very edge of the screen, will you see some natural blurriness. It's difficult in a demo where you might feel rushed to just get on with it and not feel sure about how to adjust it properly. When you get it home you should be able to find the spot once you know what you're doing. For me it's generally higher up in your forehead than feels right, with the band at the back perhaps further down than you expect...
Right, I didn't want to waste a lot of time on calibration with the rep there but, at the same time, I felt like I tried repositioning the headset as many different ways as a I could and nothing really seemed noticeably sharper than any other position.

I guess the question I really want to ask is, assuming it's calibrated correctly, about how sharp should PSVR look to the eye? Is there a good comparison out there using standard images or video so I could better judge what to expect? When I get a chance I'll also go back and try the demo again.

Thanks,

Right, I didn't want to waste a lot of time on calibration with the rep there but, at the same time, I felt like I tried repositioning the headset as many different ways as a I could and nothing really seemed noticeably sharper than any other position.

I guess the question I really want to ask is, assuming it's calibrated correctly, about how sharp should PSVR look to the eye? Is there a good comparison out there using standard images or video so I could better judge what to expect? When I get a chance I'll also go back and try the demo again.

Thanks,
Depending on the game it can look pretty sharp, even with jaggies. A lot of games do look like mud, though. Particularly DriveClub. A problem some have is interpupillary distance, the distance between the pupils. Pretty sure at the stores they leave it on default but you can change it in system settings.

It's not going to look like an HDTV, if that's what you are wondering. I find it between PS2 and PS3 levels of IQ. Some games handle it better than others.

Okay, had an hour or two and only tried demos and Playroom's platformer but so far, I have too many issues.

Biggest issue being the play space. The tiny square they afford you demands the camera to be placed basically in the middle of my television to reach me on my chair and I have no idea how to fix this. I've stood it up on boxes, put it above the TV, but I have no way to sit and have this thing see me. It throws everything off so I had to sit on our bedroom floor like a jackass.

Second issue, light bleed. I have a bit of a big head, but I can get the headset to fit tight enough. Issue is, I can't fix the sliver just below my nose that pours light in to the headset and breaks the immersion.

I'm going to start Batman VR after The Walking Dead but I would really love to have these issues fixed beforehand. The tech seems awesome, but it's these are killing it for me. Any help?

Briarios

Okay, had an hour or two and only tried demos and Playroom's platformer but so far, I have too many issues.

Biggest issue being the play space. The tiny square they afford you demands the camera to be placed basically in the middle of my television to reach me on my chair and I have no idea how to fix this. I've stood it up on boxes, put it above the TV, but I have no way to sit and have this thing see me. It throws everything off so I had to sit on our bedroom floor like a jackass.

Second issue, light bleed. I have a bit of a big head, but I can get the headset to fit tight enough. Issue is, I can't fix the sliver just below my nose that pours light in to the headset and breaks the immersion.

I'm going to start Batman VR after The Walking Dead but I would really love to have these issues fixed beforehand. The tech seems awesome, but it's these are killing it for me. Any help?

Try pushing the strap around the back of your head up -- it pushes the headset down a bit and usually fixes the light bleed at the bottom for me.

dstarMDA

Just point the camera up if low or down if high.

EDIT : FTR, the square is only a guide, not a requirement

Synless

Regarding Batman's length, why is it so damn short? Could Rocksteady not get something done in time? Mechanics get introduced and used only once multiple times. I hope they expand on this "demo" buy releasing a full fledged vr game in the future.

For anyone that has drifting issues:

My PS Moves have drift as well, yet when I do the following it is fixed:
1) Go in-game so that the Moves start reading gyro data
2) Shake them in every possible direction for a few seconds
3) Re-calibrate

Then they'll be fine for hours on end, pretty much until I reboot the console.

I don't have a PSVR but if the technology is the same it might work.

I do this exact same thing, maybe if you shake the headset a bit before use you won't get drift issues?

Does anyone else get random results when calibrating for the Job Simulator demo? It almost feels like it's random. Sometimes the demo would start and I'd be really low like I'm sitting on the floor. Other times my default position in the game is too high like I'm standing up, which would be ok except that in order to reach stuff like the computer the controllers go out of the camera's view. How is it suppose to be? And how to I get it like that consistently?

luka

Loves Robotech S1

i definitely noticed this in a lot of demos i tried. games like rez have deep, inky blacks and everything looks great - but games like rush of blood appear grainy and washed out which is incredibly distracting. it's not a problem with rgb settings or a display issue, it's clearly an intentional technical/design choice with the games themselves.

i really hope that bio7 won't have this issue since it's a similarly dark game. i'd probably skip playing it in vr which would really make me regret my decision to get one of these :p

i definitely noticed this in a lot of demos i tried. games like rez have deep, inky blacks and everything looks great - but games like rush of blood appear grainy and washed out which is incredibly distracting. it's not a problem with rgb settings or a display issue, it's clearly an intentional technical/design choice with the games themselves.

i really hope that bio7 won't have this issue since it's a similarly dark game. i'd probably skip playing it in vr which would really make me regret my decision to get one of these :p
Was for me. Automatic doesn't work with my monitor setup. After the HDR/PSVR update it reverted my setting from full to automatic. Definitely brought the colors to where they should be again but some games do still show the grain. With being set back to full games like Until Dawn no longer look gray. You can still see the grain but it's far less pronounced now that the black levels are back to normal. None of my friends knew about it and switched it back. So it can be a problem, don't discount it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Was for me. Automatic doesn't work with my monitor setup. After the HDR/PSVR update it reverted my setting from full to automatic. Definitely brought the colors to where they should be again but some games do still show the grain. With being set back to full games like Until Dawn no longer look gray. You can still see the grain but it's far less pronounced now that the black levels are back to normal. None of my friends knew about it and switched it back. So it can be a problem, don't discount it.

i mean, if your rgb settings are incorrect then yeah, it'll be a problem. but like you said, some games just run much brighter than others, like the pixels aren't shutting off fully.

i can load up area x in rez, for example, and right from the start i can spin around and stare into a pitch black void without a hint of light outside of the crosshair, but even with the hmd brightness turned down and rgb set to full, RoB never even comes close to that level of blackness. it's not totally game-ruining imo, but i think it's definitely an issue worth asking about.

silentbum

Neo Member
What are you guys using for storage options when it's not in use?

I'm actually curious about this too. My PS Gold headsets came with a nice little drawstring bag and I almost wish I had something like that to keep the headset in to prevent dust from building up on it.

Chris_C

I see a lot of consistent evidence of left drift while reading through this thread, but my experience is almost exclusively a drift to the RIGHT. It doesn't seems to matter if I sit center, left or right of the camera, I get a consistent and persistent drift to the right. I know there's no sure fix for the issue as its widespread and probably software related...any idea why my experiences might be so atypical of most others though?

I have Right drift as well. However, I rarely ever get drift. It's happened 2 or 3 times with my headset (once in Rigs and once in Batman Arkham VR). It happens more often to my DS4, which rotated to the right pretty aggressively occasionally during a couple of sessions.

I don't know if that will ever come out for VR. It's honestly pushing base PS4 to even hit 30fps. I could see a hyper paired down version maybe

Media Molecule have strongly hinted at PS VR support multiple times though. At this point it would be a bigger surprise if the game didn't come to the platform.

Is also the best example of a shooter with Move controller. Literally pinpoint and far less twitchy than Until Dawn. Here's hoping Lethal VRs implementation of move guns is as solid because that would be ace!

I played the demo of Ace Banana (from the same publisher as Pixel Gear, not sure if it's the same studio) and was incredibly impressed with the fidelity of their hand tracking in that. Not sure what these folks are doing different, but they should share it.

That said, I'm not looking forward to Lethal VR, I can't help but feel these sorts of simple shooting galleries are a bit of a cash grab.

EDIT: I'd like to see a table tennis table added to Sports Bar VR

Media Molecule have strongly hinted at PS VR support multiple times though. At this point it would be a bigger surprise if the game didn't come to the platform.
The same was true of No Man's Sky. I think you should adjust your expectations regarding Dreams. Avoid disappointment.

Would be good to have a VR creation mode though, just to create/puppeteer individual elements to incorprate into your Dreams.

So torn on what to get first...

Playstation VR now and PS4 Pro for Christmas? or vice versa? My main thought would be to get PS VR now since it's out, and PS4 Pro later since not too many games will take advantage of it initially.

Main games I'd like to play that have Pro versions are TLG, FFXV, and Tomb Raider...but who knows if any of these (other than TR) would take advantage of the pro

Chris_C

The same was true of No Man's Sky. I think you should adjust your expectations regarding Dreams. Avoid disappointment.

Would be good to have a VR creation mode though, just to create/puppeteer individual elements to incorporate into your Dreams.

Agreed, there's been no official confirmation, but Alex Evans did tweet this last year, and also said this:

"Let's just say there are dev kits on our desks," Evans said. "We haven't actually focused on it yet, so I can't announce VR in Dreams, but we joke that it could be the defining game in VR. When we're feeling bold. I do think that sculpting and creating in VR is just the most empowering feeling. You're in this world, immersed, and can create and change it. We're got to try it."

As I said, not confirmed, and you're right to be cautious, but I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen. Media Molecule are also a studio on a different scale than Hello Games.

Haint

Yea it's done to reduce black smear. Without seeing the before and after, I'm not sure whether the trade off is worth it. The smear would have to be REALLY bad to outweigh such an obvious in your face artifact. Vive and Rift both do the same thing, but are nowhere near as gray as Until Dawn.

Haint

Playstation VR now and PS4 Pro for Christmas? or vice versa? My main thought would be to get PS VR now since it's out, and PS4 Pro later since not too many games will take advantage of it initially.

Main games I'd like to play that have Pro versions are TLG, FFXV, and Tomb Raider...but who knows if any of these (other than TR) would take advantage of the pro

If you're getting both, I'd get Pro first then PSVR for Christmas. They've got a lot of bugs (or recalls) to do with VR (namely drift). Assuming this is your first headset and real experience with VR, you'll feel like the Christmas fat kid getting N64/Mario 64 in 1996 which will be a nice memory.

Grinchy

Banned
Does anyone else get random results when calibrating for the Job Simulator demo? It almost feels like it's random. Sometimes the demo would start and I'd be really low like I'm sitting on the floor. Other times my default position in the game is too high like I'm standing up, which would be ok except that in order to reach stuff like the computer the controllers go out of the camera's view. How is it suppose to be? And how to I get it like that consistently?

When it tells you to extend your arms to the side with the Move controllers, it's measuring your wingspan and setting your height based on it.

I've noticed in the full game that it sometimes doesn't measure my wingspan. Like it just skips that step arbitrarily and I have to go back into the calibration to have it come up. Is the demo having you measure your wingspan each time?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Depending on the game it can look pretty sharp, even with jaggies. A lot of games do look like mud, though. Particularly DriveClub. A problem some have is interpupillary distance, the distance between the pupils. Pretty sure at the stores they leave it on default but you can change it in system settings.

It's not going to look like an HDTV, if that's what you are wondering. I find it between PS2 and PS3 levels of IQ. Some games handle it better than others.
Thanks, that seems pretty clear and actually not far off what I was experiencing. I wasn't expecting Full HD sharp, I just wasn't sure how far below that to expect.

It's definitely going to take another demo or two to decide whether I'll ultimately be OK with that.

Purest 78

Horizon is the Game I need to own the pro for So I can wait. I'm picking up PSVR 1st.

charpunk

Personally as someone on retail side of things, I would probably go with psvr first. I have a feeling that going to be way harder to get this Christmas. Pros are probably going to be a harder sell when parents can just buy a regular ps4 for a $100 cheaper.

When it tells you to extend your arms to the side with the Move controllers, it's measuring your wingspan and setting your height based on it.

I've noticed in the full game that it sometimes doesn't measure my wingspan. Like it just skips that step arbitrarily and I have to go back into the calibration to have it come up. Is the demo having you measure your wingspan each time?

Ok now this makes sense. The demo makes me do it every time. When I started out I didn't pull my arms out all the way because I wanted to stay within the circle, doing this it landed it put me in a position where I felt like I was sitting in desk. It's only been recently that I've spread my arms out all the way that it puts me way too high.

M_A_C

Is the Job Simulator tracking as bad in the real games as it is in the Demo? I really want to play it but it's almost unplayable in the demo. PSVR is making me want to go buy a Vive lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom