• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr00per

Rigs is also up for consideration. I know it's focused on multiplayer competitive but I think it does look fun. Doesn't sound like there's any level of microtransaction difference among players, too.

Anything else that should be up for consideration immediately? To note, I do think Superhypercube looks great but I'm having a hard time justifying the 29.99 price, so I think I will wait for a sale.

For what it's worth rigs has a decent amount of single player content.

I would recommend trying out the demo disc before deciding. Make sure to get the US version.

I will also say that you can't judge a VR game based on a video or screenshots. I have been wrong about blowing off a few already.

Ammogeddon

Oh man Windlands and Tethered both look decent, can't really get both.

Dat Windlands price hike tho.

....sod it, just got tethered.

I bought Windlands the second it went up and played it for about 3 - 4 hours so far. Really enjoying it, from the little I have played it is currently my favourite VR experience, all I have been doing is exploring, trying to get as high as possible, see how far I can slingshot myself and how far I can jump of the top of places. Not really done any of the objectives though I have got one stone tablet and spent a while trying to get another but failing. There are loads of comfort options however I don't use any of them so can't really comment on how good they are but if you don't like the idea of falling or heights then this will be a problem regardless.

I get massive Metroid Prime mixed with Mirrors Edge feels from this (two of my favourite games). When you get a good flow going it is very reminiscent of the original Mirrors Edge, going from point to point to high speed under your own control and that messing up will bring it to a halt, but a lot better. It reminds me of Metroid Prime's unnique style of exploring areas to get to pickups and find information which unlocks the lore of the world. If you like Metroidvanias even though it isn't one I'd advice you check it out even just purely as a proof of concept for that style of game.

I think it is the best looking PSVR game; everything is clear, bright, nice to look at, the whole Laputa: castle in the sky feel works very well, birds are well sized and are clear, fantastic depth of field which other games really lack. You can see objects far off in the distance and observe the environment which makes it possible to plot paths or see new ways to explore that you wouldn't from close up. The hook shooting mechanic feels natural and you can also use them in a large variety of ways even though it is essentially press a trigger to pull yourself over (not tried the advanced ropes option yet). The jumping is great and the momentum of speed really works for me.

Out of all the games I have played this has the biggest what is possible with the medium coming from a traditional gaming sense. PlayroomVR platform demo was the first that did that for me but this does a lot more, it highlights what can be done in terms of first person games (Rigs did a great job but this more so), whereas many others are slow and clunky in confined spaces this is the total opposite, it shows that FPS in open environments is possible, that first person platforming works extremely well, that exploration doesn't have to be confined to small areas and that they don't have to be in flat spaces.

My only downside at the moment is I wish there was a quick 180 button. Immediately from playing the game I want a Lovely Planet type DLC and something similar to Mirrors Edge Pure Time trials. I also got Tethered but haven't downloaded it yet.

Carl

Thanks, I'm not really into stategy, do you consider this a difficult game for newcomers?

Not really my kind of game either tbh. I only played a 10 minute demo but I really enjoyed it. When the devs were explaining the controls whilst we were waiting they sounded really complicated but it all kind of makes sense once you get in game

If you're not sure if it's your kind of thing maybe watch some YouTube videos of it first instead of wasting your money on something you don't like

Not really my kind of game either tbh. I only played a 10 minute demo but I really enjoyed it. When the devs were explaining the controls whilst we were waiting they sounded really complicated but it all kind of makes sense once you get in game

If you're not sure if it's your kind of thing maybe watch some YouTube videos of it first instead of wasting your money on something you don't like

OK, Thanks. There are so many games I wanna buy that I will wait for some video reviews.

LaneDS

Does Windlands support the Move controllers?

Bought and played through it on the Oculus DK2 and absolutely love that game... still my favorite VR experience and that was with a 360 pad. If I can play it with the Move controllers, well, that's exciting and I'll be trying that out later.

Does Windlands support the Move controllers?

Bought and played through it on the Oculus DK2 and absolutely love that game... still my favorite VR experience and that was with a 360 pad. If I can play it with the Move controllers, well, that's exciting and I'll be trying that out later.

Dunno where I read it but I'm pretty sure it's DS4 only

jobrro

Not sure if it is common knowledge or has been brought up before, but if you have Driveclub VR and don't have a wheel give the DualShock 4 motion controls a try. You basically steer with the DS4, I find it pretty immersive though I don't have a wheel to compare.

Pretty much the first driving game I actually enjoy playing in first person, usually 100% prefer the camera to be behind the car.

Can't wait to see the Pro benefits for this game.

Spman2099

Man, I desperately want to show my niece Allumette... It is so beautiful. I know she would love it, but she is way younger than the age recommendation. Seems like it isn't something I should risk. *kicks a can*

By the way, everyone should give it a watch. It is wonderful.

phant0m

I bought EVE for 60 euros and now that the "holy hell this looks amazing" phase is kinda over there is no doubt 60 bucks is highway robbery.

The game has a "single player campaign" which basically consists of 5 missions, one on each map the game has to offer. That's right - this 60 euro game has five maps. And the mission in the demo? That's basically one whole mission. And it's the best mission. One mission is literally "fly here and wait for scripted death". The multiplayer isn't exactly better. It has TDM and some form of Domination, but given the extreme advantage higher leveled players have in terms of armor/weapons there's little fun to be had here unless you drop some coins on upgrading your ship yourself.

The tour missions are nice, it's basically freeroam sightseeing on all the maps [ALL FIVE] while you collect a couple of resources and recordings for throwaway backstory audio logs. Seriously, they had Katee Sackhoff, for fuck's sake. Such a waste.

The experience is 10/10, but if this wasn't a VR game it would've been ripped to shreds. I'm still not sure why it isn't being ripped at the moment though, this should've been a 30 euro title tops, especially considering all the microtransactions.

Would not be happy at $60 for EVE. However, I got the $20 Amazon deal and am extremely pleased.

NeoRausch

Man, I desperately want to show my niece Allumette... It is so beautiful. I know she would love it, but she is way younger than the age recommendation. Seems like it isn't something I should risk. *kicks a can*

Yeah, i second this.
When I got the headset I watched that "Invasions" short.... Which was pretty much garbage.
So I was going into Allumette with super low expectations.
Man I was wrong!
It's like watching a puppet theatre without any strings.

jobrro

Is DriveClub VR getting a Pro update? I haven't seen any confirmation on that yet.

I think I read it was getting a resolution upgrade and a couple extra effects added back in. I don't think anything as drastic as weather, but should be a noticeable upgrade.

I don't have issues with my daughter using it (she's 8) but only in 10-15 minute bursts.

UCBooties

So far I've tried the demos for EVE, Rez, and Wayward Sky.

I have also tried the Street Luge, space game, and London Heist from Playstation Worlds.

So far, everything has made me some degree of sick. The demos were definitely better for me so I think I will definitely get Rez. The Street Luge made me immediately ill, as in, within seconds of starting. The space game didn't really start bothering me until the section jumping between asteroids.

So far it's a pretty bad start, and I certainly don't feel good about spending that kind of money on something I can only play for 10 minutes at a time.

I'm surprised to be this sensitive to it. I have a Gear VR for my phone and very little on that has made me immediately uncomfortable.

KORNdoggy

Yeah, i second this.
When I got the headset I watched that "Invasions" short.... Which was pretty much garbage.
So I was going into Allumette with super low expectations.
Man I was wrong!
It's like watching a puppet theatre without any strings.

also the only thing so far in VR that's made me fee a bit sick. i'm putting it down to the way the stuff animates like it's stop motion. ie. it doesn't have the fluidity of regular animation and it made me feel sick anytime i looked around.

Playing The London Heist last night led to me discovering the crazy shit you can do in there. Want to hold a clip and drop your gun onto it and reload it? Sure.
Hold the gun upside down and drop the clip in?
Why not?
Throw a clip into the air and catch it with the bottom of the gun?
Go ahead!

I need a full game like this so bad.

Slow hand clap for the Windlands developers for launching at £32.49 despite having advertised a £19.99 price only a week ago on Reddit and their own website, 'barring minor changes'. It's extremely greedy price gouging, which will ultimately be self-defeating and result in well deserved fuck-all sales. 'Durrrrr, derp, why no one buy our game?'

Boneheaded prices in full:
Eve Valkyrie £54.99
Superhypercube £24.99
Windlands £32.49

Unfortunately these devs are probably too clueless to think about how much more money they would be making if they were priced at the following levels:
Eve: £39.99
Superhypercube: £15.49
Windlands: £19.99

Seriously, Eve and Hypercube would be doing so, so, so much better. Apparently Hypercube has a world online leaderboard that's barely into the hundreds at present. Yet I bet Batman has already sold 100k units (assuming there are that many PSVRs in the wild).

I'm glad I got in on the discount and only paid $20 for EVE. To be honest, I'm not really into the game and if it wasn't a digital download it would have been traded already. Another stinker was Here They Lie. The blackout and then skip to a frame mechanism with turning is absolutely abysmal.

Okada

Another stinker was Here They Lie. The blackout and then skip to a frame mechanism with turning is absolutely abysmal.

I 100% get why they do it though. The right stick controlling your aim plus your head moving at the same time is a sure fire way to feeling pretty sick for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure the latest proper VR demo's of Resident Evil 7 offer a similar method of controlling the camera.

Ammogeddon

Windlands price was a mistake. Already confirmed by the devs.

Yeah just read that. It's still £32.99 on the PSN, hopefully they'll resolve it soon so people don't buy it by mistake. Sure there'll be refunds but it's a pain.

I just got Tethered, it's pretty cool. If you like god games and were impressed by diorama views like Wayward sky, Robot rescue, and Allume you'll love it.

boostron

Neo Member
I seriously misjudged how close to the camera you need to be to avoid drift / wobble in games. Camera is on top of the tv, moved about 4 - 5 feet away. Tested rigs and wayward sky. Rigs was perfect. Wayward was centred fine, but that sway effect was still there.

Batman is pretty mindblowing. It is, truly, PSVR's Super Mario 64 "wow" moment.

Everyone who played it started laughing uncontrollably from excitement. It is an amazing achievement for a launch title, bravo Rocksteady!

Just let her watch it. The age rating is there because we don't know how regular VR use will affect eye development. Letting her use it once in a while isn't going to hurt her.

I seriously misjudged how close to the camera you need to be to avoid drift / wobble in games. Camera is on top of the tv, moved about 4 - 5 feet away. Tested rigs and wayward sky. Rigs was perfect. Wayward was centred fine, but that sway effect was still there.

Yep I was previously close on 10-11ft away and had awful drift in Driveclub, I now bring in a single chair and sit 3-4 ft away and everything is perfect.

Zalusithix

Playing The London Heist last night led to me discovering the crazy shit you can do in there. Want to hold a clip and drop your gun onto it and reload it? Sure.
Hold the gun upside down and drop the clip in?
Why not?
Throw a clip into the air and catch it with the bottom of the gun?
Go ahead!

I need a full game like this so bad.

Yeah, it's fun to fool around with all the things you can do with tracked controllers in VR and a game with a physics engine. There's a number of videos of people doing tricks and other silly things in H3VR. (Unfortunately not coming to PSVR, but the concept remains the same.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like was a pricing error on UK PSN on Windlands. It should be a lot cheaper. They are working on it.

doby

I 100% get why they do it though. The right stick controlling your aim plus your head moving at the same time is a sure fire way to feeling pretty sick for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure the latest proper VR demo's of Resident Evil 7 offer a similar method of controlling the camera.

The turning made me really disorientated. I swear I was just walking back and forth and round in circles. I ended quitting.

Yeah just read that. It's still £32.99 on the PSN, hopefully they'll resolve it soon so people don't buy it by mistake. Sure there'll be refunds but it's a pain.

I just got Tethered, it's pretty cool. If you like god games and were impressed by diorama views like Wayward sky, Robot rescue, and Allume you'll love it.

Damn... I don't wanna buy another game lol. Time for my paycheck to show up 😂

El-Suave

Can I buy PSVR-games from the US-PSN and play them on my EU-account?

As long as the US account is on your primary PS4 system, it should work. I downloaded the demo disc from the US because they had more demos early on and everything worked fine.

Oni Jazar

I bought the full version of Job Simulator and I don't know if it was the game or the time of day or what but it was the first time I had major world drift. It was not good :(

Apt101

Could you elaborate? I've been looking at it mainly because of the tracked controllers, but the locomotion system seems obtuse. I might get it at a 50% discount.

The controls, whether using two wands or a controller, are extremely awkward. It's inaccurate and involves a lot of jarring, instant changing of direction.

The visuals are very unimpressive. Not a big deal, but it does detract from the experience. The voice acting isn't bad, per se, just not very earnest most of the time. Hard to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom