• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanador

UntilDawn ROD:

um, the game seems really difficult on normal. I can't beat the ghost
woman with the birds (heart boss)
and I tried about 4-5 times and gave up

That one took a couple tries for me as well.

Make sure you focus on damaging the heart when its up. I would save the shotguns for the birds to avoid their damage, and you can also duck to avoid birds that get through. Watch for those shotguns that spawn, and good luck.

The camera position it's a bit of a problem... I found out that on top of the TV give mostly NO problems with the tracking, in particular when I have to use also Move controllers.

But, the camera doesn't fit perfectly on the TV, so it's not easy to give the angle I want and I need to change position of the sofa to be on the perfect stand for the screen...

:(

Can you tilt the camera or should it always be facing straight ahead?

bumpkin

thinking about grabbing one in the near future

is VR Worlds worth picking up?
Absolutely. The critics have been really hard on it, but I have gotten loads of enjoyment out of it. In fact, VR Worlds has several of the experiences that blew my mind including Ocean Descent ("Shark Attack"), The London Heist and Danger Ball. Scavenger's Odyssey is awesome too (makes me pine for a VR Metroid). The only game in the package that is kind of ho-hum is VR Luge. Everything else is Ace though, shit, even the menu/lobby is awesome in its own right.

Slowly wrapping up my play through of all the demos and the VR Worlds disk. Finally loaded up Danger Ball #$%@ as a huge Tron fan this was incredible, loved the look totally felt like I was on the grid.

Are you guys happy that you bought this on launch? Still wondering if i should buy PSVR..

Hell yes, I've been enjoying my time with PS VR.

Right now Pixel Gear is my favorite game, it's just so simple and the tracking is beast.

VEV is awesome and now with the patch it should be even better.

Ace Banana is a funny little game, but I don't think it's for long play sessions my arm get tired. lol

Playroom VR is so addictive with the family they always wanna play it, half way through collecting all the toys too.

World War Toons is Okay, needs trophies to keep me going :p

PS VR Worlds, favorite pass times are the shooting galleries from London Heist and Dangerball.

Bound is an amazing VR experience, that you need to get used to but still great.

SportsBarVR has amazing AirHockey tracking and Pool could use a bit of improvement. Also I became and expert dart thrower, get 30 - 50 all the time now (It's all in the wrist)

Still pop in the demo disc time and time again (US and Asia Versions)

Rez, Thumper and Mortal Blitz are my favorite demos. Need to buy them soon.

I just wish I had more time to play PS VR can't wait till I get a break from college and work to do it.

Absolutely. The critics have been really hard on it, but I have gotten loads of enjoyment out of it. In fact, VR Worlds has several of the experiences that blew my mind including Ocean Descent ("Shark Attack"), The London Heist and Danger Ball. Scavenger's Odyssey is awesome too (makes me pine for a VR Metroid). The only game in the package that is kind of ho-hum is VR Luge. Everything else is Ace though, shit, even the menu/lobby is awesome in its own right.

Thanks! Sounds like a buy for me then

Lan_97

Something I realized while playing Super Stardust VR last night, you can stand up and walk up close to the planet and custom ship. It was a neat perspective to see the game from after years of playing on PS3/Vita/PS4/3D. I want the other Housemarque games in VR so bad.

VR pet peeve: Games that force comfort settings (teleport, incremental turns, limited fov) on the players. Options never hurt.

Birbo

Has anyone had their VR motion sickness get worse as time goes by? My first few days were fine playing through the demos and Batman VR (loved it). Tried EVE: Valkyrie, made it through the first training bits and the nausea started. Waited a day to try again, seemed to last a bit longer, but once again got sick. Went to try a third time and as soon as I put the headset on, I could already feel my stomach beginning to churn. Then yesterday, I got queasy just watching my son play the Battlezone demo. Even playing Battlefield 1 on the TV, my stomach had a few drops. WTF VR?

Hoping to try again this weekend and build up my VR legs. Really enjoying the tech when things are going well.

lt519

I dunno if you're looking for something crazier, but at the base concept, you can make a lightning cloud and use it to one-hit kill any critter.

Yeah, I figured that one, but I've thrown rain and sunshine at them and turn away before I see what effects are actually going on. I know cold gives your guys a defensive boost. Any other basic ones?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Are you guys happy that you bought this on launch? Still wondering if i should buy PSVR..

Three days later from getting my unit and I am already shifting away to other traditional games.

It's a neat little toy and I don't regret purchasing PSVR, but the novelty doesn't extend far beyond. Also I find myself only able to last about 30-1hr before needing a real break before nausea starts to set in(still getting my VR legs perhaps), but largely it is due to the game content not engaging me beyond the initial(albeit impressive) moments of trial.

Granted, outside of the myriad of demos, I only own Batman, Driveclub, and Rez currently. All impressive but none have me coming back beyond initial play sessions.

Ozorov

Has anybody with both the old and the new camera tried to change between them and see if they got any better or worse result with them?

I am. The few games I've played with it, while very much in the realm of tech demos more than actual games, are impressive and not like much I've experienced before, which is already worth it for me. I'm waiting eagerly for Resident Evil 7 and I hope many more VR supported full games.

ckohler

How is Sports Bar VR?

If you have a friend with PSVR, it's a must buy IMO. If you enjoy pool, it's like owning your own pool table for $20. The AI is too difficult so you'll want to play with a friend. Tracking is great and it's a nice laid back place to hang out virtually.

ckohler

SportsBarVR has amazing AirHockey tracking and Pool could use a bit of improvement. Also I became and expert dart thrower, get 30 - 50 all the time now (It's all in the wrist)

Pro-tip: You can lock your aim with the darts the same way you lock your aim with the pool cue by holding down the trigger.

As for pool, I think it works great. I've gotten quite good at it but the AI is too difficult so play with humans.

LiK

I keep thinking games are much more pixelated than they should look. Is my headset defective or is it normal because of the screendoor effect? Seems the launch unit is sold out so i doubt I can do a quick exchange.

Mossybrew

Tethered is a much more fast paced game than I expected. I'm only on the second island, but there is so much going on at any given time it can get kind of frantic. And a lot of the building options aren't really explained at first. So if you're expecting a leisurely casual experience it is definitely more than that, there seems to be a good deal of strategy involved. Gonna need some practice managing all these peeps!

Meanwhile I'm starting to regret my Rigs purchase. The basic gameplay is fun, but so far it's been impossible to find a match online without bots replacing players. The offline is okay, but has really strange difficulty spikes. And for all the loading before and after matches, I think matches themselves should be longer. Five minutes just goes by in a flash and its back to loading and menus.

Mendrox

I keep thinking games are much more pixelated than they should look. Is my headset defective or is it normal because of the screendoor effect? Seems the launch unit is sold out so i doubt I can do a quick exchange.

Are you sure you wear it correctly? Can you read the Text absolutely clearly when you adjust it by Option? There is a sweet Spot for everybody but some games are really pixelated like driveclub or summer lesson

VR pet peeve: Games that force comfort settings (teleport, incremental turns, limited fov) on the players. Options never hurt.

Totally agree. Due to differences between people options are a necessity in VR and that goes for us that can handle locomotion, strafing, acceleration changes, and elevation changes as well as those that can not.

LiK

Are you sure you wear it correctly? Can you read the Text absolutely clearly when you adjust it by Option? There is a sweet Spot for everybody but some games are really pixelated like driveclub or summer lesson

yea, i can read text just fine. It's just games look blocky and not smooth like on the TV. Luge for example looks like a 8-bit mess. But I can't tell if it's my headset or if that's the game. I let my sis try it and she had the same thought about Luge.

World War Toons is Okay, needs trophies to keep me going :p
This is the only VR game I've played where I legitimately had to stop, else I was going to vomit. It feels like VR was so tacked on. And when I tried to play online it could not find anyone. This was, I think, the second or third day after the PS VR headset came out.

Briarios

I thought most of the videos of people playing PSVR were at least a bit over dramatic, but ... my wife tried out ocean descent last night, and thought it was amazing all the way down. She thought the shark looked incredible, but when it attacked she totally screamed ... she then refused to look at it for the rest of the experience going, "Nope, nope, nope" lol

I was a little shocked at her reaction, honestly. I also had her play Danger Ball -- after single match, she immediately wanted to play again.

antibolo

Banned

It's a 1080p display strapped into your face. There's no way it could possibly be *not* heavily pixelated. We're still a long way away from having "retina display" VR (ie. a display where you can't see individual pixels at that distance).

And in terms of SDE the PSVR is doing very well, I can barely see the gaps between pixels, I have to deliberately be looking for them to see them.

lt519

yea, i can read text just fine. It's just games look blocky and not smooth like on the TV. Luge for example looks like a 8-bit mess. But I can't tell if it's my headset or if that's the game. I let my sis try it and she had the same thought about Luge.

It's the game, Luge looks like garbage. Play something like Bound or Batman VR and you'll realize you were just playing shitty games.

Glix

Luge has really bad image quality. How about something like Danger Ball? I think that runs at native res and should be sharp as hell.

And in terms of SDE the PSVR is doing very well, I can barely see the gaps between pixels, I have to deliberately be looking for them to see them.

It can be REALLY bad in cinematic mode. From what I have read, and pls correct me if wrong, each pixel has three sub-pixels, arranged like a triangle. I was playing NHL EASHL mode where you can design your own uniforms and I guess a lot of people when they want blue just go 255,0,0 or something close to that. So its like only one third of the pixel is lit up and the rest is black and there were HUGE black spaces inbetween each occurrence of blue. It was so bad I had to take the headset off and just play on the TV.

Road to VR 'Eagle Flight' Review.

What that title doesn’t convey is all of the influences you can feel layered throughout the experience. There’s a dash of Pilot Wings when diving through rings on courses that trace astonishing routes through the city. There’s a hint of Ace Combat around the aerial encounters with other predators, with the B-52-like wingspan and laboured turning of Vultures mixed with Crows, Bats and (F-16) Falcons that are all assuming archetypal air combat roles. The twitch reactions of Wipeout can be sensed as you thread your way through an underground catacomb race, expertly dodging obstacles on a course you’ve already attempted a dozen times in an effort to shave valuable seconds off your time. There’s even a dash of the free running from Mirror’s Edge, whose gameplay beats can be felt here as you mutter to yourself “…under bridge, into sewer, through spinning fan, out of tunnel, hard right, steep climb, avoid branches, through building…” Moves that you’ve committed to memory in an effort to secure the full complement of three stars from one of 17 Expert Challenges and 23 Story Missions. There’s also a multiplayer mode supporting up to 3 vs. 3 gameplay to satisfy any competitive needs.

4/5 or 8 out of 10

-

Oh yeah a member posted about not seeing much reviews and another saying that most reviewers don't get it, which I agree with but Road to VR generally seem to get it.

LiK

It's the game, Luge looks like garbage. Play something like Bound or Batman VR and you'll realize you were just playing shitty games.

Luge has really bad image quality. How about something like Danger Ball? I think that runs at native res and should be sharp as hell.

It can be REALLY bad in cinematic mode. From what I have read, and pls correct me if wrong, each pixel has three sub-pixels, arranged like a triangle. I was playing NHL EASHL mode where you can design your own uniforms and I guess a lot of people when they want blue just go 255,0,0 or something close to that. So its like only one third of the pixel is lit up and the rest is black and there were HUGE black spaces inbetween each occurrence of blue. It was so bad I had to take the headset off and just play on the TV.

Oh ok. Yea, Dangerball looks much better.

lt519

Oh ok. Yea, Dangerball looks much better.

In general I wasn't overly impressed with anything in VR Worlds. Dangerball and the Ocean ones looked the best. Scavenger's Odyssey had some strange blurring at depth for me, but was still a fun experience.

I'm also not impressed with Battlezone, it's a fun game, but graphically pretty poor. Apparently Driveclub is a mess as well, haven't tried it though.

Hmmm impulse buy urge rising.

Bestbuy and Amazon have the bundle as sold out/back order but gamestop has it...

$500 bucks though. Decisions. Decisions.

LiK

In general I wasn't overly impressed with anything in VR Worlds. Dangerball and the Ocean ones looked the best. Scavenger's Odyssey had some strange blurring at depth for me, but was still a fun experience.

I'm also not impressed with Battlezone, it's a fun game, but graphically pretty poor. Apparently Driveclub is a mess as well, haven't tried it though.

I'll probably need to check out Batman since everyone says it looks good.

I keep having this random issue where one or both of my Moves don't seem to connect with my PS4 correctly. I press the button to power the Move on, the red light turns on and stays red...but the ball doesn't light up, pressing buttons does nothing, and it won't turn off until I shutdown my PS4 completely.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Caayn

Just got to try PSVR for the first time, sadly only the headset. The person at the demo set-up didn't allow me to hold a controller...

Anyway. I'm positively surprised by the comfort and the picture that the headset + PS4 produces. I actually felt like I was in the cage (the cage + shark demo, don't know the name).

My only complaint would be that the bottom side of the headset leaked-light (at least the unit I tested had that problem, wasn't a major problem as the content(immersion) had a stronger grip on me. And that the image looked very blurry at times. I didn't had the chance to fully adjust the headset to my head and eyes.

Overall I left with a positive impression of the device.

pfkas

There's a little button underneath the front of the headset that lets you slide the unit closer to your face. Do that and no light leaks in at all. Completely enveloping.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just had my parents over. Showed them both some titles. My dad was very much looking forward to it, my mom was super sceptical.

Showed my dad EVE Valyrie, it blew him away. He couldn't believe his eyes, haha, his reactions were priceless. Let him do a scout map first to get acustomed to the feeling and the controls, then let him do an actual mission. He really enjoyed it. Then my mom. Showed her Ocean Dive first on VR Worlds, she immediately went from "this is nonsense" to "this is amazing". After that I showed Allumette, she loved that one as well.

They were both extremely impressed with the tech, but it's interesting how they both kinda expected all games to be hardcore FPS games with gunfire, explosions and other violence.

Kyolux

My only complaint would be that the bottom side of the headset leaked-light (at least the unit I tested had that problem, wasn't a major problem as the content(immersion) had a stronger grip on me. And that the image looked very blurry at times. I didn't had the chance to fully adjust the headset to my head and eyes.

Depending on how you put it on, you're going to get some light bleeding from the bottom. Depends on your face's shape too I guess. But it can easily be tuned out.

lt519

I'll probably need to check out Batman since everyone says it looks good.

Biggest "Wow" moment in VR for me. Just be prepared that it is a very short experience and you'll get the most enjoyment out of it through multiple playthroughs (that don't change, but give you additional collectibles and puzzles to solve). It'll still ultimately top out at 3-4 hours after 100℅ but will be an excellent showcase game for friends.

Caayn

There's a little button underneath the front of the headset that lets you slide the unit closer to your face. Do that and no light leaks in at all. Completely enveloping.
I tried that. But I couldn't get it to work right. Maybe putting the band a bit different might have helped. I think that if I had more time with the unit that I might have decreased the leakage.
Depending on how you put it on, you're going to get some light bleeding from the bottom. Depends on your face's shape too I guess. But it can easily be tuned out.
I could easily tune it out. It was only when my eyes travelled to the edges of the screen that I really noticed.

Flandy

Pixel Gear vs Ace Banana
Which is the better move game

thinking about grabbing one in the near future

is VR Worlds worth picking up?

Unless you plan on demoing it to a lot of people I don't think it's worth it imo. The best thing in the collection is London Heist and that's like 20 minutes long. It's an amazing 20 minutes but still really short. The underwater stuff is neat I guess but it's non interactive so I don't see anyone realistically doing it more than once or twice. I wasn't a big fan of the other minigames either. Use the money on fully fledged games instead

Shoeless

They were both extremely impressed with the tech, but it's interesting how they both kinda expected all games to be hardcore FPS games with gunfire, explosions and other violence.

I think in this sense, VR's greatest chance at success will be if it gets AWAY from trying to capitalize on that genre. The "you are there" sense of immersion for VR, combined with the individual issues of comfort/motion sickness make standard FPS shooters a poor choice.

But when you see something like Batman, where you're conducting a simple forensics or crime scene investigation, or something like the drawing tool in the Harmonix visualizer, you really understand how many new experiences are available to players that can be just as impressive--or moreso--than yet another round of multi-player shooting.

Zalusithix

That's not SDE, but jailbarring which is a side effect of using an RGB stripe display. It can be avoided by using pentile displays which have a subpixel layout that is more random. Well not random - there's still a pattern, but the pattern is more diffuse. Obviously using a pentile layout has other issues unique to it. There is no perfect solution, and only raw resolution increases will fix the problem.

I think in this sense, VR's greatest chance at success will be if it gets AWAY from trying to capitalize on that genre. The "you are there" sense of immersion for VR, combined with the individual issues of comfort/motion sickness make standard FPS shooters a poor choice.

But when you see something like Batman, where you're conducting a simple forensics or crime scene investigation, or something like the drawing tool in the Harmonix visualizer, you really understand how many new experiences are available to players that can be just as impressive--or moreso--than yet another round of multi-player shooting.

I agree that new experiences are here with VR. I'm currently LOVING my PSVR and Job Simulator is at the top of my love pile. Games like tethered would've been ignored in a traditional view, but because of how immersive VR is, it has become a real find for players desperate for new experiences.

However, a really do want a game with a gun. After playing Onward on Vive, I get the power of a true one-to-one controlled game in a real environment. I'm not looking for CoD or battlefront, but instead would love something much closer to LA Noire.

I was fantasizing about a police/cops and robbers 'scenario' game. Real life scenarios that you have to 'resolve'. You enter a convenience store and somebody looks shady. It escalates or it doesn't. Totally depends on what you do. Do you shoot? Do you watch and draw suspicion? Is there a hostage? Do you hide and try to overtake? Do you shoot and risk hurting someone?

A confined area thinking game with high A.I. would be amazing.

Even hitman would be great in VR. One assassination in a small city area.

Or and undercover cop where you make tough moral choices. Using your gun now has weight.

These are the experiences I'd love to see evolve in VR.

Anyone with rigs fancy joining me and AnythingBut on Rigs beat the devs today?

We wanna get a Gaf vs Guerilla Games on for tonight. Starts in approximately 3.5 hrs (10pm BST)

dd492941

Psvr is a must own device for ps4 owners or sony fans. There is so much to love. I only own about 4 or 5 games but only have really sunk my teeth into a couple. The demos alone made me love it. It really makes me want every game done in vr, well as many as is feasible. I hope people are able to get one for the holidays. I know I'm asking for a pro just to make the psvr better because I'm in love and will be supporting them every step of the way now that I know how awesome it truly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom