• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

Anyone with rigs fancy joining me and AnythingBut on Rigs beat the devs today?

We wanna get a Gaf vs Guerilla Games on for tonight. Starts in approximately 3.5 hrs (10pm BST)

Would have loved to. But I barely put any time into the game yet. And timing sucks for me. I got to eat and clean up my living room around that time since I have people coming over for d&d.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Current owners of VR that had it for a while you see this gimmick fading out bit by bit or it has potential of lasting for a long while? Thx.

Let me answer that by asking you a question. Why do you play video games?

yea, i can read text just fine. It's just games look blocky and not smooth like on the TV. Luge for example looks like a 8-bit mess. But I can't tell if it's my headset or if that's the game. I let my sis try it and she had the same thought about Luge.

That is the game. Luge looks like ass. But kind of fun.

Zalusithix

Current owners of VR that had it for a while you see this gimmick fading out bit by bit or it has potential of lasting for a long while? Thx.

This is effectively like asking "Will you stop beating your wife, or will you continue to beat her for a long time?"

Your question is implying that VR is a gimmick and then asking how long it'll last.

farisr

No. To me, this is as much of a "gimmick" as going from 2d games on SNES/Genesis to 3d on N64 and PS1 was.

And like the 3d games of the N64/PS1 era, there are a lot of improvements that can and will be made as time goes on. And once again like 3d games didn't stop/completely replace 2d games, VR isn't going to replace traditional gaming altogether.

Becuz Scorpio Nov.2017.

Now let me ask you a question..Why do YOU play video gms.

Smart ass punch lines deserves a smart ass answer 😄😉

I'll chime in here because I didn't see a smart ass answer

As long as software keeps coming this will last.
Why do I play games? Simple. Immersion, escapism and storytelling. As a kid I read, played d and d and games are the natural evolution. The generations are becoming stagnant, all we get is improved graphics and while I like graphics it's the content that matters. That's why I chose psvr over a pro. Same games a bit shinier or a totally new way to play. Vr has in a lot of ways hit the reset button on gaming. We are back at the dawn of a new medium as developers work through the challenges of developing for vr. For me that is incredibly exciting. I read somewhere that we are in effect at the pong/space invaders stage of vr and that is so exciting when you think of how the games went, through generational shifts and gameplay eureka moments. When you look back at pong then see where we have come the concept of where vr could take us is amazing.

So why do you play games?

My only complaint would be that the bottom side of the headset leaked-light (at least the unit I tested had that problem, wasn't a major problem as the content(immersion) had a stronger grip on me. And that the image looked very blurry at times. I didn't had the chance to fully adjust the headset to my head and eyes.

Overall I left with a positive impression of the device.

As much as I've praised PSVR in this thread this is the one thing that really annoys me. I know better resolution and FOV will come in future VR sets but can I get no light bleed this gen please!

Glix

I wasn't being a smart arse but you are being a dick.

You know what really grinds my gears?

Dude comes in here looking to shit on this thing (calling it a gimmick shows exactly where his thoughts lie) and you give him a legit answer, and he so is looking for negativity that he can't even see you were being cool with him.

I think cyberheater was asking him what sorts of games he plays and enjoys. If he plays esports fps's, then I don't think VR is really for him, etc...

You know what really grinds my gears?

Dude comes in here looking to shit on this thing (calling it a gimmick shows exactly where his thoughts lie) and you give him a legit answer, and he so is looking for negativity that he can't even see you were being cool with him.

I think cyberheater was asking him what sorts of games he plays and enjoys. If he plays esports fps's, then I don't think VR is really for him, etc...

+1

Are you guys happy that you bought this on launch? Still wondering if i should buy PSVR..

I bought it day and spent a whole three days trying a bunch of games I bought. Some games I loved some I didn't and some got me sick. however I loved the whole experience and the revelation of a new way of playing games AND watching content.

Since then i haven't had as much time everyday to use it and When I am not using it I kind of regret the purchase. However all that goes away the minute I put the headset on again.

So I guess it's a no. I only regret not having enough time to use it.

I am a sad that Rigs gets me sick. Hopefully the more i play the more I will have VR "legs". That and the PS4 Pro will help.

Just got to try PSVR for the first time, sadly only the headset. The person at the demo set-up didn't allow me to hold a controller...

Anyway. I'm positively surprised by the comfort and the picture that the headset + PS4 produces. I actually felt like I was in the cage (the cage + shark demo, don't know the name).

My only complaint would be that the bottom side of the headset leaked-light (at least the unit I tested had that problem, wasn't a major problem as the content(immersion) had a stronger grip on me. And that the image looked very blurry at times. I didn't had the chance to fully adjust the headset to my head and eyes.

Overall I left with a positive impression of the device.

If you place the back of your headset any higher, it will improve. It did the job for me :)

Becuz Scorpio Nov.2017.

Now let me ask you a question..Why do YOU play video gms.

Smart ass punch lines deserves a smart ass answer 😄😉

What about the Scorpio Nov 2017? That shit is a year away and we know absolutely nothing but 6 tf, 4k, blah blah. Guess what PS5 is probably in 2018/2019. Why not just wait for that? Or Scorpio 2 later on? There is ALWAYS something new, something more powerful coming in the future.

And I hope people aren't expecting that Scorpio is going to be like a high end pc and blow away PS4 Pro. It's exactly 45% stronger than the PS4 pro, going by TFlops. That is just 5% more than the difference between xbox one and Vanilla PS4 with is 40%.

We know that most people don't even notice much of a difference in the games between the xbox 1 and ps4.

And it should be stronger as it's not coming for another 1 full year.

Ozorov

Oh shit! Nice!

giphy.gif

Love it just as much as the day i bought it, Played and beat Batman, Heist etc. I get just as much a thrill letting friends and my girlfriends friends try Until Dawn and watch them jump and come away thinking it makes gaming to them not for geeks but something that everyone can enjoy or not as some of them really jumped lol.

Personally now waiting for a price drop for EVE and Battlezone, RIGS. Looking forward to The Journey and to see what improvements the PS4 pro can offer it.

Exciting times indeed, like the first time booting up Rage Racer on the PS1.

Nothing in gaming feels immersive as i now feel when in VR. It's as simple as that really for this 33 year old gamer who's seen it all in gaming.

Orcastar

I'm thinking about returning mine. Issues that seemed minor for the first few days, like the headset's view being crooked since day one and the the fact that I can't seem to eliminate drift and wobble no matter what I do, are starting to annoy me more and more. The PSVR has certainly convinced me that VR is going to be huge eventually, and some of the games already out for it, Rez Infinite in particular, are just amazing, but it seems to me that the tech just isn't quite up to par yet.

bumpkin

I don't expect anything more then a tech-demo since it's free if you own Battlefront. But it could still be very cool.
Damn, I was hoping it would be available separately. I don't own BF, not really my type of game (competitive online shooter). I was really psyched about that VR mission though.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm thinking about returning mine. Issues that seemed minor for the first few days, like the headset's view being crooked since day one and the the fact that I can't seem to eliminate drift and wobble no matter what I do, are starting to annoy me more and more. The PSVR has certainly convinced me that VR is going to be huge eventually, and some of the games already out for it, Rez Infinite in particular, are just amazing, but it seems to me that the tech just isn't quite up to par yet.

Don't dismiss PSVR as "not quite up to par" just because you apparantly have a faulty unit.

btrboyev

What about the Scorpio Nov 2017? That shit is a year away and we know absolutely nothing but 6 tf, 4k, blah blah. Guess what PS5 is probably in 2018/2019. Why not just wait for that? Or Scorpio 2 later on? There is ALWAYS something new, something more powerful coming in the future.

And I hope people aren't expecting that Scorpio is going to be like a high end pc and blow away PS4 Pro. It's exactly 45% stronger than the PS4 pro, going by TFlops. That is just 5% more than the difference between xbox one and Vanilla PS4 with is 40%.

We know that most people don't even notice much of a difference in the games between the xbox 1 and ps4.

And it should be stronger as it's not coming for another 1 full year.

Don't expect a PS5 till at least 2020.

The Scorpio will most likely be far ahead of the Pro because they will be using a new CPU.

Interfectum

Don't expect a PS5 till at least 2020.

The Scorpio will most likely be far ahead of the Pro because they will be using a new CPU.

IMO biggest difference between Scorpio and PS4 Pro is the Pro is coming out within days and Scorpio is PR vaporware that may or may not be out in a year.

That's basically what it is, yeah. Really, really fun platformer but you need to be able to handle the full locomotion.

My favourite VR game by far.

By that do you mean it makes you sick easily?

Scavenger's Oddysee and Drive Club are the only games that made me sick so far. Everything else has been fine.

I played the first tutorial level in tethered it's very cute
It took like about 25 minutes, then I was done.

Looking forward to playing on with it
but here is the thing. Tracking was solid - No world wobble - but when I rotate head from left to right and back again which is what Tethered requires.you to do a lot of, the world movement is just a tad "off", I can't quite describe it but it's like there is some linear motion during the rotation that I didn't expect and repeating this over and over left me feeling a little more out of sorts than the same time spent in game of (say) Rez.

SJRB

Gold Member
By that do you mean it makes you sick easily?

Scavenger's Oddysee and Drive Club are the only games that made me sick so far. Everything else has been fine.

It has potential to make you sick, I guess. You get a fat warning when the game starts that it's recommended that you don't play the game unless you have some experience in VR.

It's is somewhat of a Spiderman game in the sense that you jump and swing around, often at pretty fast speeds. The game has several "safety" settings though to make things more comfortable, and it walks you through it at the start of a new game.

It has potential to make you sick, I guess. You get a fat warning when the game starts that it's recommended that you don't play the game unless you have some experience in VR.

It's is somewhat of a Spiderman game in the sense that you jump and swing around, often at pretty fast speeds. The game has several "safety" settings though to make things more comfortable, and it walks you through it at the start of a new game.

I believe it is $24.99, wonder why its $5 more than the PC release...

I wish Sony has a policy like Steam in regards to motion sickness and refunds, it is pretty bad that you can buy a game you can't play due to your own physiology and be stuck with it.

Batman and Rigs have been sold out on Amazon for a while now, but today I finally found time to get to the local Best Buy and get Batman. Rigs was in a case and I didn't have time to wait around for the guy to get it out for me. :p

I probably won't have time to actually play the game until Sunday though. I'm pretty impressed with the launch line up, there is actually plenty of stuff to buy and in pretty diverse categories.

antibolo

Banned

I wish Sony has a policy like Steam in regards to motion sickness and refunds, it is pretty bad that you can buy a game you can't play due to your own physiology and be stuck with it.

Sony needs to make demos mandatory for PSVR games, at least. Like how Microsoft did for XBLA games back then.

Selling VR games without a way to try them first is very irresponsible imo.

Any reviews or impressions of Windlands?

Looks like VR Spider-Man to me!

I like it a lot. It has its short comings which don't make it stellar but from an indie team it is brilliant.

The game essentially relies on how you handle locomotion, acceleration, heights, falling from heights, jumping from precarious platform to platform at extremely high heights and how much you like exploring, environmental puzzles where the game mechanics are the solution, mastery of those mechanics, finding objects and time trials. Everything combined makes it a very intense game. If you can handle it especially with no comfort settings it is fantastic.

SJRB

Gold Member

I don't know how lenient Sony is in regards to refunds on VR titles. I mean, if you play a game and it really, really makes you sick.. Too sick to play, why wouldn't that warrant a refund?

You know, provided you didn't play more than, say, 30 minutes or so.

Fliesen

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes looks like a good drinking / party game. i like these kind of asynchronous multiplayer games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyop24F6s8
it's great, my girlfriend loves it.

I downloaded Tethered today, and while super charming, it's a bit monotonous (I'm at stage 4) ... does it ever get ... harder, or more complex?

also, getting all "A" medals in all maps is gonna be a huge pain in the ass...

So a friend
if you know what I mean
just tried out rush of blood for the first time and while being under the influence, pretty great stuff I am told. Some great scares and just feels great to play. Only completed the first 3 levels but I'm sure they will play some more tomorrow.

It's so painful not having broadband due to just moving and being able to buy some games on psn. First world problems at its most harrowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom