• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Is it weird that I didn't realize Arkham VR was going to be an actual Arkham game and that Until Dawn was going to be an actual Until Dawn game? Really loved what both did with the respective IPs

E-flux

I took some gameplay of Windlands, probably my favorite vr game, the movement just feels so good when you get used to the low g swinging. So far i have played 4 hours and i'm missing too many collectibles and i have collected 5 out of 8 shards. I'm probably going to be playing a lot more of it trying to get some consistency in my swinging, this could be quite fun to speedrun.

Why almost every vr video out there has some dude yelling on a facecam? It's so annoying to search for vr videos of new games.

I took some gameplay of Windlands, probably my favorite vr game, the movement just feels so good when you get used to the low g swinging. So far i have played 4 hours and i'm missing too many collectibles and i have collected 5 out of 8 shards. I'm probably going to be playing a lot more of it trying to get some consistency in my swinging, this could be quite fun to speedrun.

Why almost every vr video out there has some dude yelling on a facecam? It's so annoying to search for vr videos of new games.

Thanks for the vid. Still thinking about buying it. I'm afraid I'll get dizzy :)
Regarding VR vids on YT...I feel just the same. I hate people yelling in the cam. Guess they think they are funny and have to shout out to be noticed. Sad really.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
It's sooo good. And the best thing is....you literally can't get that same game without VR. Like it's not possible at all.

Nah seriously though,
turning around and having the walls and shit changing all around me. Was mad, and yeah, only possible (or at least only this effective) in VR.
Very impressed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's sooo good. And the best thing is....you literally can't get that same game without VR. Like it's not possible at all.

Nah, they could have done it the same with a controller(Bioshock did something very similar in all three games for instance), but that finale certainly was a very impressive and surprising use of the headset tracking in VR.

E-flux

Thanks for the vid. Still thinking about buying it. I'm afraid I'll get dizzy :)
Regarding VR vids on YT...I feel just the same. I hate people yelling in the cam. Guess they think they are funny and have to shout out to be noticed. Sad really.

Yeah, if it's anything when i started the game my knees were a bit wobbly for the first session but after that i have slowly lost that weird feeling of imbalance. Though there hasn't been a game yet that has made me physically ill. The game also has some comfort options but i turned them all off when i started playing thinking that if i had all of the control i would get used to it faster.

Edit: Oh shit, i just thought that Windlands might not support move controllers on the ps4, which would be bizarre as hell. I haven't tried the game out with a controller so i can't say how fun the game is with more traditional control scheme.

Edit2: They are planning on adding move support in a future patch. Source

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Until Dawn is cool, but holy shit the tracking is horrendous for me. Haven't had too many issues in other games, but the guns were jittering and off focus the entire first level and any head movement off to the sides would cause the image to jump and bounce around making me feel ill.

Will futz with settings before going back in, but it was a real bummer as the game is pretty great. Even though I am just sitting on the couch, it literally felt like I was on a rollercoaster being jostled about. The few scare moments really got me too. Just one of the more effective rail shooters I've ever played. Just wish it worked as intended. :(

Any reviews or impressions of Windlands?

Looks like VR Spider-Man to me!

It's fun! It's a first person platformer and you use the hooks to climb and catapult yourself through the levels as you move from platform to tree to platform etc. looking for gates, crystal fragments and so forth. You're totally unlimited in movement and can go in any direction. It's the first of the PSVR games I've played that has convinced me first person games with full movement can work in VR. It's also the first PSVR game that made me feel a little queasy but it wasn't too bad.

majik13

Yep I have this issue from time to time too, also another where the interlacing seems to screw too

j9Odp7y.png

Screen should go right to the edge but resolution seems to screw unsure why, figured it was Driveclub messing with the resolution as that's the game it seems to happen the most with.

CrgFIA4.png

Probably already answered, but I believe you need to power down the The PSVR to go back to a regular screen. The low res effect you are seeing is because, the PSVR screen has higher pixel count in the center, and less around the edges, and so the image is rendered to match this. Lower res in the periphery of the image.

antibolo

Banned
I've also had that bug once, powercycling fixed it.

I sure hope they'll be able to fix most of the PU's numerous(!!) issues in the future via firmware updates. Including making it properly support 4K and HDR (without making an entire new revision of the PU hardware). Having to unplug it for non VR stuff is fucking stupid and completely missing the point of it having passthrough capabilities exactly so you shouldn't need to unplug it in the first place.

Flandy

Should I be completely turning off my PS4 after using VR? I've heard people say leaving it in rest mode can cause tracking issues?

Shoeless

Should I be completely turning off my PS4 after using VR? I've heard people say leaving it in rest mode can cause tracking issues?

It does seem to accumulate over time, yeah. If you're using PS VR a lot right now, then it's probably better to just shut down your PS4 completely at the end of the day. I'm on a VR break now, thanks to World of Final Fantasy, so I'm back on using Rest Mode for now, but a complete shut down does seem to prevent some track/drifting issues from building up.

sn00zer

Yep I have this issue from time to time too, also another where the interlacing seems to screw too

j9Odp7y.png

Screen should go right to the edge but resolution seems to screw unsure why, figured it was Driveclub messing with the resolution as that's the game it seems to happen the most with.

CrgFIA4.png

Close the PSVR application you have running in the background. This only happens if you are still running a VR game in the background

Haines

Banned
What are you guys expecting in terms of a performance upgrade from the PRO?

I think i heard better super sampling but im not sure what that looks like in the headset.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sheesh, the second zone in Windlands doesn't fuck around, the difficulty amps up like 100% haha.

Amazing game.

Shoeless

What are you guys expecting in terms of a performance upgrade from the PRO?

I think i heard better super sampling but im not sure what that looks like in the headset.

It's doubtful we'll see super-sampling in VR. You have to remember it's actually independently rendering two separate images at two different angles. I think it's probably a bit more reasonable to assume we'll be getting crisper visuals, so if the work were done on games like Drive Club or Here They Lie, they would look less blurry. But I don't think we can expect Pro-level visuals on the headset.

Flandy

Oh my god I just tried windlands while standing instead of my swivel chair and it's even better. This is the way to play this imo. If you have it and are just playing it seated give it a shot while standing

kyser73

It's doubtful we'll see super-sampling in VR. You have to remember it's actually independently rendering two separate images at two different angles. I think it's probably a bit more reasonable to assume we'll be getting crisper visuals, so if the work were done on games like Drive Club or Here They Lie, they would look less blurry. But I don't think we can expect Pro-level visuals on the headset.

Given there are a whole suite of tricks in the GPU that can directly affect rendering for VR (e.g. the FP16 processing, which can be used for rendering the parts of the display that aren't in the players view; the edge tracking which can be used to significantly reduce aliasing), not to mention the CPU bump, yes I think we will see some dramatic improvements in some titles.

And yes, supersampling is completely possible. The PS4 isn't rendering to two panels, it's rendering to one panel split in two, so it is still rendering to a single 1080p screen (ok, so you have the 1.4x requirement, which in itself is a kind of supersampling anyway, which is one of the reason Bound looks so clean) so a native render at 1800p displayed on PSVR will be supersampled.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Anybody able to grab the collective minds psvr stand/controller charger?

Shows out of stock on amazon. And a weird preorder available to todays release date on gamestop.

dyergram

Right guys battlezone or rigs???? I'm gonna buy one in 5 mins I liked the demos of both. Like multiplayer shooters and I'm getting a pro not sure if both are getting a patch.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh my god I just tried windlands while standing instead of my swivel chair and it's even better. This is the way to play this imo. If you have it and are just playing it seated give it a shot while standing

Neat, gonna try that tomorrow.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Right guys battlezone or rigs???? I'm gonna buy one in 5 mins I liked the demos of both. Like multiplayer shooters and I'm getting a pro not sure if both are getting a patch.
Battlezone is getting a pro patch. Not sure about rigs but i would assume both are.

As much as I've praised PSVR in this thread this is the one thing that really annoys me. I know better resolution and FOV will come in future VR sets but can I get no light bleed this gen please!
That's by design, Sony wants people to be able to look down and see their hands/body etc.

That's by design, Sony wants people to be able to look down and see their hands/body etc.
How is this even possible with the unit pulled to your face? You may get some bleed but the nose flaps and shape of the blinders you can't make out anything.

To help anyone else with light bleed - the blinders have an inside lip, reach in and pull it out to expand the lip on your face. It's soft but it gets rid of it.

Also, be sure to tilt the back UP some so the HMD sits SQUARE to your face. Everyone I've seen try this thing on always puts the back end too low, causing the HMD to not sit square, exposing the bottom more. Doing this you can also fit almost any headset on over your ears no problem.

But that's exactly what Battlezone is doing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/284372/BATTLEZONE_PS4_PRO_SUPPORT_ANNOUNCED.php
Edit - I was wrong about farpoint

If you place the back of your headset any higher, it will improve. It did the job for me :)

+1 , I also did this.

First get to the sweet spot of the headset where you can read all the text and then just raise the back of the headband higher.

Light bleed problem solved. Either that or wait for a third party rubber protector.

antibolo

Banned
Uh I don't get it, I downloaded the Hyper Void "demo" but it seems there's no actual playable content? Selecting "Play" from the main menu only takes me to a nag screen??

Does this mean I have to buy battlefront now for the free star wars PSVR game/demo? EEeee. The next time its on sale, I'll consider it.....

Man. Until Dawn on Psychotic(?) Difficulty is the real deal. 1 life. Made it to spider boss and he laid me out. Damn.

Even playing in VR since launch the feeling of presence is still there and good! At this point I don't even care if visuals improve. Give me a wider periphery and rock-solid tracking and I'm good with PSVR2.

Still loving every minute I spend in the Matrix :D

Darknight

So its obvious that the release bundle is sold out mostly everywhere in the US.

I was not surprised with ample stock say on eBay. So i kept an eye on those auctions and if you purchase at the right time, you can get them for roughly $450-$500 (plus some ebay bucks and no tax).

I recently scored a bundle for $425 shipped, no tax and since its the Taco Bell one, it includes $40 PSN credit. Not bad I say. I have my old PS moves which I will be reselling to save some more. Not only that I have $45 ebay bucks. I didnt use them because the seller had a 1 rating at time of purchase but I didnt want to lose them if I had to cancel the auction. (PS: seller shipped item and has tracking so I feel confident this person is legit)

So I will be using the $45 ebay bucks to buy a $50 PSN code on ebay to buy more games on PSN.

So that one dude that sold it to me scored some nice cash while I scored the bundle for around $385. You guys think this was a good purchase? lol I had this on Amazon on preorder but it was going to be $550 including tax so I cancelled. (also due to fears it was gonna suck) So I believe it was worth buying one like this. I wasnt even thinking of getting one after cancelling but the feedback has made me anxious to get one.

I look forward to posting some feedback on my experience but I may wait until the Pro is release ;)

rcl66

No if you already have the base game you can play it in VR, the DLC is just Invasion mode. Yes it is actual VR.

How do you get it in VR Mode? The mode on menu for VR is locked (It's for the DLC I think) and the game itself isn't in VR it's just a big flat image like cinema mode.

Zalusithix

I don't know how lenient Sony is in regards to refunds on VR titles. I mean, if you play a game and it really, really makes you sick.. Too sick to play, why wouldn't that warrant a refund?

You know, provided you didn't play more than, say, 30 minutes or so.

This is Sony. 99% chance you'll get your 1 time "favor" (if you haven't already used it) and then politely be told to get fucked. Expecting anything consumer friendly that's not explicitly documented as official policy is naive. While it sucks, I hope VR will be the catalyst needed for their refund policies to blow up in their faces.

Chris_C

Played some of the Driveclub VR demo using motion controls and it was a lot more fun. Only issue is it tires your arms out holding them in place and steering with no support. Especially because I try to line my arms up with where the real wheel would be. Fun though.

Also gave Tethered another shot and I was quite enjoying it. Good stuff so far.

EDIT: I'll probably wait till the Move patch, or a demo before trying Windlands.

Chris_C

If you have a friend with PSVR, it's a must buy IMO. If you enjoy pool, it's like owning your own pool table for $20. The AI is too difficult so you'll want to play with a friend. Tracking is great and it's a nice laid back place to hang out virtually.

I read earlier in the thread that there were some issues with how the game sometimes placed your in-game avatar relative to the table (off-center by 45 degrees), forcing you in real life to turn 45 degrees and thus occlude the controller. Is this indeed the case? It's pretty much the only thing that's given me pause.

Mezoly

I read earlier in the thread that there were some issues with how the game sometimes placed your in-game avatar relative to the table (off-center by 45 degrees), forcing you in real life to turn 45 degrees and thus occlude the controller. Is this indeed the case? It's pretty much the only thing that's given me pause.

You could use hulk mode to rotate. That's what I use. Just hold the move button on each hand and rotate by pulling on one hand and pushing on the other.

TheBear

To those without 4K sets and only have PSVR, are you sold on the Pro, purely for 'better performance' for VR?

I'm like 95% there but there's no impressions yet of how it will improve games across the board

ckohler

No. When you look down at your feet, the game shows roughly where you should be standing and the image you see has the feet deliberately facing 45 degrees to the left of your camera because they thought this would help prevent occluding the Moves. However you don't have to stand that way. I never do that. I always sit or stand directly facing my camera and have no tracking issues. I never have any issues with controllers as long as you have a good camera height and distance.

Also, you can move all around the bar by teleporting or using "hulk mode" where you move yourself like you have virtual ski poles. That's also how you can turn to face any direction. The amount of freedom in this game is more than any other VR game I've played on PSVR so far.

Here is me and my friend playing it to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3OONwrKWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom