• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to play Rigs tonight but couldn't make it through the tutorial without getting sick. Head turning seemed to help, but still pretty bad. I got sick the first time playing the demo, but by the third time it didn't bother me. So I was hoping I'd be able to manage the full game... going to sleep it off and try it again tomorrow, maybe if I do it in small chunks it'll get better.

A discussion about PSVR should be a bit more extensive; outside of a shitpost about demos and resolution then saying they're going to pack it away because; to play Mario 64. Once set up, the camera never gets moved. I haven't touched mine. It just sits under the tv.

Even if you buy 1-2 games. There's plenty of experiences to be had on the platform; from allumette, demos to invasion etc. Which most people who own a headset have discussed. Even the free playroom demo offers plenty of play.

I refuse to believe someone would spend $400+, then more money for games and then pack it away because of honeymoon periods (its been 2 weeks). Sell it then if they think its so average.

Lol, happens all the time.

zoukka

I refuse to believe someone would spend $400+, then more money for games and then pack it away because of honeymoon periods (its been 2 weeks). Sell it then if they think its so average.

This is sadly the case for many with disposable income. There are only a few games for PSVR atm that can even remotely offer long term value right now. Like I play rez every now and then but because Battlezone and Rigs aren't my cup of tea, I am left with nothing but short demos and Rez (which is a short game).

The bottom line is we need long AAA experiences to support any VR platform (PC or console). Resident Evil 7 seems to be the first true AAA VR game to date, I have high hopes for it.

Mezoly

This is sadly the case for many with disposable income. There are only a few games for PSVR atm that can even remotely offer long term value right now. Like I play rez every now and then but because Battlezone and Rigs aren't my cup of tea, I am left with nothing but short demos and Rez (which is a short game).

The bottom line is we need long AAA experiences to support any VR platform (PC or console). Resident Evil 7 seems to be the first true AAA VR game to date, I have high hopes for it.

Not disagreeing with your statement. But If you don't mind me asking, Why did you buy it then if there was only one game you knew you would like? I mean I usually only buy a console when I have multiple games I want to play on it.
And even if RE7 delivers, there won't be many AAA experiences for the next couple of years. These games take time. For me, I'm pretty happy with short games.

Aceofspades

Banned
"honeymoon period" is the new "preorder canceled" meme.

Im still amazed every time I put the headset on, Tumbler is really amazing and diverse.

zoukka

Not disagreeing with your statement. But If you don't mind me asking, Why did you buy it then if there was only one game you knew you would like? I mean I usually only buy a console when I have multiple games I want to play on it.
And even if RE7 delivers, there won't be many AAA experiences for the next couple of years. These games take time. For me, I'm pretty happy with short games.

I have disposable income and am a tech geek. Also I didn't realise that PSVR didn't support 3D video, which I should've googled out before buying, I knew there would be few games, but at least video content could keep us going during droughts.

Room scale in general just seems like a very bad idea for actual gameplay. The improved accuracy would be great for any system/game, i.e., having a second PS4 camera or light room type enclosures to make Move controllers super accurate. But actually having games require room scale to be playable wont work with 95% of people. How many people can actually have rooms dedicated to VR? If you have a home theater dedicated room, it will likely have rows of seating throughout the room. In a living room, bedroom, etc there will definitely be lots of furniture and knickknacks around. It can be difficult enough to convince the wife to go for a home theater and/or mancave/game rooms, just imagine trying to also throw in a dedicated VR room.

This has been an ongoing argument relating to Vive. I'm on the side of "who has the space". Cleared space. Space devoted to it. For maximal enjoyment. Because when I think of younger people I bet most have no space. Then I look at families and they have more space but it is more cluttered and you have spousal approval factors. And so on. The pie slice of people who can permanently devote a good cleared space, is small. The Wii just needed arm waving space. Even if coffee tables are unfashionable now, there is no space. And seeing pictures of peoples living rooms doesn't change my opinion on that.

zoukka

This has been an ongoing argument relating to Vive. I'm on the side of "who has the space". Cleared space. Space devoted to it. For maximal enjoyment. Because when I think of younger people I bet most have no space. Then I look at families and they have more space but it is more cluttered and you have spousal approval factors. And so on. The pie slice of people who can permanently devote a good cleared space, is small. The Wii just needed arm waving space. Even if coffee tables are unfashionable now, there is no space. And seeing pictures of peoples living rooms doesn't change my opinion on that.

Agreed. Though one big upside from Vive is the tracking accuracy. Even if you don't use the whole room for the experiences, you know the tracking will never fail and you can flail around as much as you want near your starting position. That's a huge deal in VR comfort not having to worry about moving away from the camera viewpoint or losing tracking to the controllers.

Mezoly

I have disposable income and am a tech geek. Also I didn't realise that PSVR didn't support 3D video, which I should've googled out before buying, I knew there would be few games, but at least video content could keep us going during droughts.

I see. Hopefully Sony patches the Media player soon. But knowing from previous experiences with their FW updates it might take some time. I tried VRideo and the quality wasn't that good but if you download the video it's better. BTW you could upload your own 3d content to VRideo and watch it on PSVR. Not perfect but it's something.

zoukka

I see. Hopefully Sony patches the Media player soon. But knowing from previous experiences with their FW updates it might take some time. I tried VRideo and the quality wasn't that good but if you download the video it's better. BTW you could upload your own 3d content to VRideo and watch it on PSVR. Not perfect but it's something.

Not available in EU.

*Splinter

A discussion about PSVR should be a bit more extensive; outside of a shitpost about demos and resolution then saying they're going to pack it away because; to play Mario 64. Once set up, the camera never gets moved. I haven't touched mine. It just sits under the tv.

Even if you buy 1-2 games. There's plenty of experiences to be had on the platform; from allumette, demos to invasion etc. Which most people who own a headset have discussed. Even the free playroom demo offers plenty of play.

Noone is obligated to give a write up of every game they play. It's also not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that you prefer traditional gaming to VR (or at least to what VR currently offers). I think I've used my TV more than my headset since I got it, and I friggin' love VR.

Also I'm pretty sure digging through someone's post history to undermine them is a good way to get yourself banned, fyi

Got my PSVR on Halloween, had a good friend come over and run through some stuff with me.

I had Thumper and Rez prior to buying it. I also downloaded Playroom VR ahead of time. Best Buy seemed to have a really steep discount on games when I bought them with my PSVR, and the PSVR bundled with move controllers and camera reduced to $500 like the launch bundle. To note, I am a Gamers Club Unlocked member, but I did not know there was any sort of game discount when buying games alongside the PSVR. I got Batman for 7.99, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for 7.99, Rigs for 23.99, EVE for 39.99, and Driveclub for 17.99. Pretty crazy discounts, and ended up spending within my budget AND getting more than double the games I anticipated. I also picked up the Power A charge/display stand and it's really nice, but maybe a bit overpriced.

Rez and Thumper are amazing in VR, but they're also really good non-VR games too. VR does elevate them a bit and is definitely the more definitive way to play IMO. Rigs is the only game out of the bunch that gave me nausea, which is a shame because I really like the concept, and it feels like it's pretty much D.Va MEKA: The Videogame, but man I got wretched sick playing it and had to lie down for about an hour before I felt better. I feel a very mild and non-debilitating nausea when I play Rush of Blood (typically only during the rollercoaster sections), EVE, and Driveclub. Driveclub's reduced IQ for framerate is really, REALLY disappointingly blurry, though I do still think it's pretty fun. EVE's got some great controls and seems pretty fun, but a bit sparse on the singleplayer content from what I'm seeing, and it seems the multiplayer might be a bit deep on pay-to-win nonsense. I kind of expected Rush of Blood to be fun but I think it's turning out better than I expected ultimately.

Surprisingly, my two most impressive PSVR experiences have been the Playroom Platformer level and Batman: Arkham VR. I think both use the VR format for some truly cool gameplay that seems a great fit for the current limitations of the medium. Both had the best presentation I think I've seen in all of the VR stuff so far, too, barring Rez Infinite and Thumper.

So far, out of what I've played:
1) Batman: Arkham VR - love the puzzle-adventure format here, and a lot of the Batman style interactions with the environment and the cool Batman stuff outside of just beating dudes up is super neat, visually the best thing I've seen in VR so far
2) Playroom VR Platformer - wow I heard great things about this but I truly did not expect it to be THAT GOOD, does some really cool VR immersion stuff with its camera and mechanics, while being a snappy and responsive little platformer with great visuals
3) Rez Infinite - a long-running favorite of mine is incredible with head tracking for aiming, and the increased scale of the abstract digital environments. Area X is just mindblowingly good in VR
4) Thumper - great little rhythm action game on its own, but the immersion factor from VR makes it feel a lot more dimensional, and it feels like nailing trickier inputs is much easier with that added dimension
5) Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - fun arcade-style rail shooter that feels pretty intuitive to control and has a neat atmosphere that's effectively conveyed, despite having fairly low res presentation inside of the HMD
6) Driveclub VR - having the ability to just naturally look around while in the cockpit of a car adds nearly as much to the experience as I expected it would, though some mild nausea seems to detract from the comfort, and the huge sacrifices made to achieve a high framerate for VR makes the game look rather poor in comparison to its normal screen sibling. I may have gotten sick if I played this more than the 5 or so events that I did, and one event in particular with a Golf GTI had me feeling a little more sick than the rest, so I gave up before risking getting worse.
7) EVE: Valkyrie - still haven't played beyond a few of the opening missions. It has cool presentation, okay IQ, but the breadth of gameplay seems like it might be a bit limited and the multiplayer might be a bit too pay to win for comfort, but I'll be going back and visiting this one -- I do badly want to play a scifi space shooter (a good Star Wars space combat game would be AMAZING). Did feel some nausea here, but not as bad as Driveclub and not as bad as...
8) Rigs - boy I want to like this game a lot but it made me so sick I didn't feel like doing anything for an hour. It wasn't so bad that I felt like I absolutely needed to hurl, but it was bad enough that I did feel right sitting upright for a while. This game has very cool presentation, suffers from so-so IQ, and mechanically seems alright, but even with different settings for field of view (visor view vs no visor view) and the two mech turning methods, everything feels highly uncomfortable and disorienting. I might give this a go one more time tomorrow, but man that was miserable -- and I have never suffered from vertigo, motion sickness, or anything of the sort in my entire life.

It's just a tiny bit of a shame that the two most impressionable VR experiences I've played so far feel so short. I do hope that games like Batman: Arkham VR and Playroom Platformer can be made into more lengthy, traditional game experiences someday.

Oh, and I tried to play Titanfall with the big screen mode and thought it was lame. Might be cool for watching movies on (looks kind of like a middle-of-the-road projector to me).

somme

The attach rate must be insane. I think I've bought almost all of them.

Haven't bought Batman (don't care for Batman, or any DC/Marvel stuff) nor have I bought the Robot Golf or Hypercube - I liked the demo of the latter but it seems a little pricey for what it is.

Pretty sure I've bought the rest though. Need, more!

Tiberius

Haven't bought Batman (don't care for Batman, or any DC/Marvel stuff) nor have I bought the Robot Golf or Hypercube - I liked the demo of the latter but it seems a little pricey for what it is.

You haven't bought batman ?
200w.gif

It's probably the best vr game out at the launch

*Splinter

SuperHyberCube looks nice, but is it really as simple as the demo suggests? Seems like there are only... 24(?) possibilities, and you try them all until one works? Is that it?

200w.gif

It's certainly a good example of what can be done.

My favorite game so far would have to be Driveclub closely followed by Rush of Blood, both really fit the VR world and convey exactly what it would be like should you be there.

Do we have an official release date on Robinson VR? I just ordered on Best Buy and it's preparing to ship but Amazon still has it as the 8th and other places dont have a date period.

somme

200w.gif

I really don't like Batman, and have enjoyed the other games enough I don't feel I'm missing out. :p

How big is Robinson in gigs? If we know? Want to go digital if the file size isn't too big. Swapping discs in VR is very annoying.

I really don't like Batman, and have enjoyed the other games enough I don't feel I'm missing out. :p

How big is Robinson in gigs? If we know? Want to go digital if the file size isn't too big. Swapping discs in VR is very annoying.

6.1GB apparently according to the UK store, full price too £55 think I will wait for a sale digitally or try grab retail.

Gemeanie

Didn't care for DC Comics in general but Arkham VR was legit in my book.

No offense to the developer but Robot Golf in VR was just... meh. Probably the only game I regret buying for VR mode so far.

(Currently own Rez/Thumper/Batman/Tethered/Robot Golf/Summer Lesson)

Agreed. Though one big upside from Vive is the tracking accuracy. Even if you don't use the whole room for the experiences, you know the tracking will never fail and you can flail around as much as you want near your starting position. That's a huge deal in VR comfort not having to worry about moving away from the camera viewpoint or losing tracking to the controllers.

That's why i returned my PSVR. The tracking was so bad and i couldnt get rid of the drift no matter what i did.

Playing the Vive is like night and freakin day. I'd take the PSVR's headset, that's not an issue at at atll... but the Vive tracking feels lightyears ahead of PSVR's. Being able to turn completely around and aim at things behind you... not having your hands go all wonky and actually being able to 1:1, precisely line shots up in FPSs... feels so gooooood!

I'm a big fan of VR but will wait again for PSVR 2.0 to jump back console side.

ViolentP

So I started Here They Lie last night. An odd experience so far but man, that
red light district
? I've rarely felt like a part of an ecosystem like I did during that phase.

That's why i returned my PSVR. The tracking was so bad and i couldnt get rid of the drift no matter what i did.

Playing the Vive is like night and freakin day. I'd take the PSVR's headset, that's not an issue at at atll... but the Vive tracking feels lightyears ahead of PSVR's. Being able to turn completely around and aim at things behind you... not having your hands go all wonky and actually being able to 1:1, precisely line shots up in FPSs... feels so gooooood!

I do hope Sony can sort this somehow with maybe a new camera spec or improved software, because that's the one thing that goes off on Rush of Blood quite often and is a little annoying having to not actually aim exactly where you want each time and make adjustments for the positioning of the guns themselves.

somme

6.1GB apparently according to the UK store, full price too £55 think I will wait for a sale digitally or try grab retail.

Cheers. That is pretty expensive.. but VR dinosaurs?

Got one of my mates to try out VR last Friday and he said he wanted a VR dinosaur game. He was pretty stoked when I said one was mere weeks away. He also said VR was the first time he'd enjoyed video games since the N64.

So I started Here They Lie last night. An odd experience so far but man, that
red light district
? I've rarely felt like a part of an ecosystem like I did during that phase.

What's your thoughts about the game so far? The demo was...okay? Didn't really sell me on it, though.

antibolo

Banned
PSVR has been a real wallet emptier for me so far, as of right now I have bought:
- Job Simulator
- Rez Infinite
- Rush of Blood
- Catlateral Damage (it's soooo bad)
- Gunjack
- The VR DLC for Super Stardust Ultra
- VEV (hi m0dus)
- Harmonix Music VR (for the 3D drawing mode, everything else kinda blows)
- Hatsune Miku VR Future Live (the season pass)
- Summer Lesson
- Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Viewing Revolution

Also have Worlds on order at Amazon, which is currently out of stock.

so i finally jumped back into eve last night and boy is it good.
i got a little sick last time i have played this but i think my vr legs are getting bigger lol.
absolutely no problem with motion sickness this time and it was a blast.
we really need a full sp game like wing commander or star wars.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Getting close to getting rid of my unit as well. :( I want to love this thing and I am blown away at the immersion of much of this software, but the jittery tracking, constant drift, and irritation of futzing with cameras, distances, etc... is just wearing me down to the point that I don't even want to bother touching the unit anymore.

It needed to just work, and instead I spend ten minutes in the headset and feel woozy, nauseous, and sweaty. Some games less so than others, but oh my god when things go awry, I loathe it.

Rubik8

Getting close to getting rid of my unit as well. :( I want to love this thing and I am blown away at the immersion of much of this software, but the jittery tracking, constant drift, and irritation of futzing with cameras, distances, etc... is just wearing me down to the point that I don't even want to bother touching the unit anymore.

It needed to just work, and instead I spend ten minutes in the headset and feel woozy, nauseous, and sweaty. Some games less so than others, but oh my god when things go awry, I loathe it.

When I read things like this I wonder if this is the fault of defective units or something in the environment messing up the tracking. I've had my psvr for two weeks and it's been mostly flawless. My motion controls went crazy once, and I realized that some bright sunlight in the window behind me was throwing it off. I put up some blackout curtains, and problem solved. I really wish everyone could have the experience my family is having.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who doesn't have any issues with setup or getting it to 'just work'? I've got my camera always plugged in and never need to move it, I keep the chunky wire in a draw below where my PS4 is and the headset in a box next to it.

Plug in wire, plug in headset, put headset on, VR time.

Anarion07

Am I the only one who doesn't have any issues with setup or getting it to 'just work'? I've got my camera always plugged in and never need to move it, I keep the chunky wire in a draw below where my PS4 is and the headset in a box next to it.

Push button, put headset and headphones on, VR time

Have you tried getting another unit by contacting Sony? I have had very little problems with mine and even though people are clearly having problems with the issues you mentioned they don't appear to be the norm though those that are getting them are vocal about it, as they should be.

Apart from the initial set up and some experimentation I did for curiosity the device by large has been plug and play and I don't exactly have the best lighting for the device where it is situated, i.e. it is is flooded with sunlight.

Cleve

I didn't think it was much of a game really. Fun experience for all of an hour, but about as much of a game as a hidden object flash puzzle.

Rush of Blood has been the standout game for me.

Soi-Fong

PSVR has been a real wallet emptier for me so far, as of right now I have bought:
- Job Simulator
- Rez Infinite
- Rush of Blood
- Gunjack
- VEV (hi m0dus)
- Summer Lesson

I'm definitely re-buying Summer Lesson when it comes out in the Asian markets and has subtitles. I still need to get Hatsune Miku as well.

antibolo

Banned

I still have to work on figuring out how to get the controllers to be less jittery, but apart from that I've got my setup pretty well set now.

Yeah, I am starting to feel the same. I bought Batman the other day, after having solved most of my tracking issues by sitting about 5' or a bit less from the camera. Well, now Batman wants me to be 6' or more away from the camera, which meant I had to adjust the camera for that plus standing position. Batman's a great experience but playing at that distance introduces too much world wobble for me :(

Also, I posted a couple pages back about the unwanted lateral movement that I have been completely unable to solve, and got no responses... I'm getting to the point that I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle.

goonergaz

My only gripe is drifting...there seems to be no particular reason I can catch, sometimes it's perfectly fine then other times I get drift. It's a real shame you can't just reset the view like the options button should do.

Lan_97

- Job Simulator
- Rez Infinite
- Rush of Blood
- Gunjack
- VEV (hi m0dus)
- Summer Lesson

At least it was only $4. I would enjoy it a lot more if they implemented an option for regular movement instead of the teleport/incremental turns. I find the movement incredibly cumbersome and the constant fading in and out to be exhausting. I'd rather be offered the option for a smoother experience at the risk of possible nausea.

I hear you on the game buying thing though. With VR, my normal game buying sensibilities have gone out the window and I want to buy and see everything. I've been really pleased with almost all my purchases so far.

- Driveclub
- Rigs
- Until Dawn
- Batman
- Super Stardust
- Tumble
- Catlateral Damage

Soi-Fong

At least it was only $4. I would enjoy it a lot more if they implemented an option for regular movement instead of the teleport/incremental turns. I find the movement incredibly cumbersome and the constant fading in and out to be exhausting. I'd rather be offered the option for a smoother experience at the risk of possible nausea.

I hear you on the game buying thing though. With VR, my normal game buying sensibilities have gone out the window and I want to buy and see everything. I've been really pleased with almost all my purchases so far.

- Driveclub
- Rigs
- Until Dawn
- Batman
- Super Stardust
- Tumble
- Catlateral Damage

I think as long as games offers demos, then all is well. It's really odd. In VR, all it takes is just one really good session with a game before it sells itself to me.

DirtyLarry

I think people who are having a flawless experience just need to keep in mind they are fortunate to have an environment that it works in.
It did not work in my home, primarily due to the open nature of my rooms and a lot of natural sunlight. My downstairs is one very large open room with walls or beams creating each smaller room. I was not rearranging anything. So that was it. It just never tracked properly.

Not everyone is going to get that flawless experience. Sucks for us, but that is the reality of the PSVR itself. I returned it after 3 days and I am super happy I did. I was not living with shaky tracking that only worked depending on the time of day, otherwise it was not just shaky, it was non existent.

Soi-Fong

I think people who are having a flawless experience just need to keep in mind they are fortunate to have an environment that it works in.
It did not work in my home, primarily due to the open nature of my rooms and a lot of natural sunlight. My downstairs is one very large open room with walls or beams creating each smaller room. I was not rearranging anything. So that was it. It just never tracked properly.

Not everyone is going to get that flawless experience. Sucks for us, but that is the reality of the PSVR itself. I returned it after 3 days and I am super happy I did. I was not living with shaky tracking that only worked depending on the time of day, otherwise it was not just shaky, it was non existent.

No one here is saying that you should make do with a subpar experience. It's unfortunate about some of the tracking issues I've been hearing, but hopefully Sony puts out a PSVR patch that improves some of these things.

In the meanwhile, if you're still interested in VR either jump into PC VR headsets or wait for PSVR2.

Pretty much exactly why i got rid of mine. "Oh if you cover those lights in your ceiling... or hang a curtain on your while wall... or get rid of the headset extension and use the short one... " stuff was just garbage. I shouldnt have to alter just about everything to get the unit to function halfway decently.

It's immersive and the headset itself was glorious even with the lower resolution... it's the camera tracking and the move controllers. PSVR 2.0 with a light-house-esq tracking solution and slightly better visuals will rock. It's just not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom